[MEGATHREAD] Road Ahead: June 2022 - Datacrons

Replies

• The_Nev
    22 posts Member
    Options
    Too much! You still haven't addressed all the changes proposed in the state of the gear-lxy or the road ahead from sept/oct last year. I want to care about this but I just don't. Sorry everyone!
  • Options
    Grand Arena is by far my favorite mode. What’s fun about it is the consistency in squads. Knowing what will beat what and how consistently a squad will do that. Datacrons sound like they add a level of randomness to Grand Arena, when this mode should purely be about skill, not randomness. Grand Arena is the primary reason I play this game, and this systems sounds detrimental to the integrity of the mode
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Can’t wait to see how many bugs come with this update.
  • strafeSS
    201 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Grand Arena is by far my favorite mode. What’s fun about it is the consistency in squads. Knowing what will beat what and how consistently a squad will do that. Datacrons sound like they add a level of randomness to Grand Arena, when this mode should purely be about skill, not randomness. Grand Arena is the primary reason I play this game, and this systems sounds detrimental to the integrity of the mode

Yep, as I mentioned above, swgoh.gg counter info is about to be worthless. I don’t see how we will be able to be confident in any counter.
  • Options
    I see a few positives in the datacron info.

1. I was doing conquest anyway, so I'll get them for little effort. Sounds like they may conflict with keycard gathering though.
    2. They only use resources specific to them, so not decreasing other progress.
    3. The relic requirements max out at r7. That's pretty great.

But I see a bunch of negative too.

1. Figuring out how to beat teams will be a much bigger time sink, as you check the details of datacron bonuses, which bonus applies to who in each team, how your datacrons interact with your team. Headache starting already.
    2. Counter guides and resources will become much less useful. You might see this as an advantage if you are a more skilled/knowledgeable player.
    3. Random for each player. Groan.
    4. TW rewards, I assume, will again scale to the size of guild. So like relic 9, the experience of different parts of the community may vary a whole lot.
    5. Buffing JMK in the first run seems dumb and needless.

Overall, can't say I'm looking forward to it.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_SBCrumb So with Datacrons being temporary, how much (% maybe?) of the resources we invest into upgrading and rolling disappear with the cycle? It says dismantled, but is it a 1:1 ratio?
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Sha1218
    21 posts Member
    Options
    Will we be able to see the datacrons equipped on the opponent’s team (like we can see mods, zetas, omicrons, etc) in GAC and TW? That would be important to know before taking the usual counter against it.
  • strafeSS
    201 posts Member
    Options
    I would love to see CG post some positive feedback from the beta test about datacrons. Either it’s good and they’re terrible at describing it or it isn’t and they ignore us and their beta testers. I was in software development for 25 years and if I ever had a reaction to one of our beta tests like this we would have been horrified.
  • Options
    I literally don't even want to read the post. Datacrons don't even sound appealing. No interest in pursuing this new "feature", which seems more like a cash grab.
    Outside of Omicrons, what new things have come out this year?
    This feels like a bummer/letdown.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    You're not going to believe this, but the people on the forums are being overwhelming negative about something

True, but the people on the forums are the ones who will keep this game going. I was a daily poster here for many years, haven't commented in a long long time and that's because I don't care about the game anymore. It's fun occasionally, but now I'm mostly going through the motions and simultaneously wanting them to listen to the players and make the game fun (which I know after almost 7 years they're never going to listen) but also shut swgoh down to free up my life (I'm impressed I made it 6.5 years playing this game before hitting the sunken cost fallacy).
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Dianora
    119 posts Member
    Options
    So you're character specific datacron requires that one character to be R7, and the rest of their team to be R5? And if the player doesn't have those characters at that mark they can't benefit from it?? And then the benefits are gone after a few months???

CG, how does this even benefit you guys? You're shooting yourself in the foot. This is a terrible idea! No one wants this!

The relic cargo packs are big sellers. This will encourage players to bring more teams up to R5 (R7 lead).
  • PumaK
    301 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_SBCrumb where is the promised gear economy changes? The half phase 1 and announcement of phase 2 that remain on silence since october 21th of past year?? Or it's still taking "longer than expected"???
  • XgerNaph
    19 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    So, I have a primary question, but have some set up for it.

I generally find the concept of Datacrons to have potential. I think they could do well to prevent things from becoming to stale. And, some of them are interesting enough that I might consider remodding, gearing, or upping relics on a character - the Aalya one for instance could be interesting to see if she can go infinite with her basic stun, and I am intrigued enough that I would consider spending resources to get her to R7. Same with the Resistance ones - Rey is the next GL I am planning to go for, so I might have shifted my farming order to take advantage of using the Resistance Datacrons. Inquisitors are a little different, but the root of the problem is the same. For inquisitors, the shards are too limiting. But, if the datacrons were interesting enough, maybe I would go for them.

Notice my use of the words "would consider", "might", and "maybe". Right now, the problem is simple: I cannot gear up the toons/faction fast enough to actually get them to R3/5/7. This is amplified for Inquisitors because they take so many Kyrotech. I'll spend money in the game (I am not a whale, but will spend when it seems worth it). I could have seen myself spending a little bit of money to finish up a character or get better datacrons. But since I haven't geared Resistance yet, it would take me hundreds of thousands of dollars to get them ready in time to use the Datacrons before they expire.

Question: With Datacrons requiring relics to use, can we get the rest of the gear changes, or an update? Even if I want to invest in Datacrons, and perhaps spend money, I cannot because of the gear/relic gate.

For context: The State of the Gear-alxy stated:
    The following outlines Phase 1 of the changes, and we will be announcing more details regarding future phases as they are closer to release

Phase 1 announcement included this:
    Approximately double drop rate of Gear on PvE Hard nodes with Character Shards
    All PvE nodes with Character shards will have the Gear drop rate increased
    This is intended to increase the amount of Gear earned while farming characters
    More Core Gear added to the Shard Shop
    Adding in a new dedicated slot in the Shard Shop that only provides Core Gear
    This slot will be available every refresh

Neither of those have occurred, and that is Phase 1, announced 9 months ago. One of the state goals was:
    Accelerate all player’s ability to unlock and engage with Relics

We've been given more things that require relics, now including Datacrons, but it's still a bit ridiculous to get to relics. Finally, the State of Gear-alxy also stated, 9 months ago:
    and we will be announcing the next phases in the near future.

Emphasis added. The October 2021 road ahead stated:
    Once [phase 1 changes] are complete, we will begin speaking to what Phase 2 encompasses in the near future.

Again, emphasis added.

TL:DR - Question: With Datacrons requiring relics to use, can we get the rest of the gear changes, or an update? Even if I want to invest in Datacrons, and perhaps spend money, I cannot because of the gear/relic gate.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    Eddiebee23 wrote: »
    I have been playing this game for five years and never even registered on these forums. Never saw a need until now.

How can this developer be so inconsistent and frankly pathetic at just fixing their game? This game has so many issues with it. Instead, CG chooses add other fluff in that absolutely nobody wants. This is embarrassing. I hope the day EA is sold, these developers are immediately removed from developing this game. How can you mess up this type of game with this IP?

Been playing for almost 7 (download it 3 days after it's official release) and this has been the standard practice since day 1. They cared for a like a week when Marvel Strike Force was released and threatened them, but it has literally always been 1 step forward, 3 steps back with CG. They're got a increasingly smaller number of players dropping enough $$$ to pay the bills and that's all they care about.
  • Teron
    12 posts Member
    Options
    first, I'm with community, when people want new game-mods, better interface(especially for mods. current one is ridiculous), banned cheaters, fixed bugs. And I'm sad, that nothing is done about it. again. mb if community were crying less how unhappy they are with EVERYTHING and focus on these important things, than situation would be different. or may be not) fixing bugs doesn't bring money directly. especially if you carefully plant some of these bugs in order to maintain balance. (immortal RC/not assisting vultures/not dispelling unyielding loyalty/etc/etc/etc)))

second. all guys, who want more gear for free.. well, you miss a point. this game IS bottleneck. if CG increase amount of gear in ten times(for example) in couple of years almost ALL players will have nothing to gather. just ask yourself: Will u continue to play it after everything is unlocked and when every character is released u can instantly max it and almost every player will be doing the same? well, some guys will continue. most won't. so..yeah they want bottlenecks to be present. yeah, they want u to donate. nothing new here. yeah, they have promised increasing of gear. yeah, nothing is done and it is bad to break a promise. but nothing devastating happened. CG should watch, what they promise (mb that's why there is almost no information about future plans?)))
    in less then two years: they gave conquest (u may like it or not, but it is resources. a lot of them), they increased gear amount from challenges, they doubled income of shards for characters, they increased income of crystals for most of the players. it is MUCH easier to develop a character from scratch, then it was before.yeah, when some bottlenecks are removed, then new ones are appearing , because one more time: this game IS bottleneck.

third. datacrons. I'm against community with all this whining. this idea has potential. I like mods. Mods gave me an ability to beat much stronger guys, who plays longer, but badly. This looks like a new version of them. Yeah, it could be better without extreme rng. yeah, it would be better, if game was more balanced. still, in my humble opinion, game is better with mods, than without them. DC have potential to do even more. I don't know why first set is for jmk. it either really stupid or well planned. we will need to wait for at least fourth set to determine it.
    and yes! I like theory-crafting. I love thinking and developing strategy.(especially, when I'm drunk lol))) it is a bit sad, that I can't earn for living with this) it is really satisfying for me to beat much stronger opponents in GAC (have u ever kicked a guy with 7M gp roster and 2 GLs, while u have 2-2.5M and no GLs? I had. and if u think, that he simply wasn't attacking, than u are wrong. of course, he was pretty bad. I'm not telling, that every match can be won of smth similar) DC could give me an opportunity to kick even stronger guys with good planning. I don't know, what will happen. DC may turn out to be too oriented on donations. still, right now I still believe, that idea has good potential.
  • Dianora
    119 posts Member
    Options
    Teron wrote: »
    second. all guys, who want more gear for free.. well, you miss a point. this game IS bottleneck. if CG increase amount of gear in ten times(for example) in couple of years almost ALL players will have nothing to gather. just ask yourself: Will u continue to play it after everything is unlocked and when every character is released u can instantly max it and almost every player will be doing the same? well, some guys will continue. most won't. so..yeah they want bottlenecks to be present. yeah, they want u to donate. nothing new here. yeah, they have promised increasing of gear. yeah, nothing is done and it is bad to break a promise. but nothing devastating happened. CG should watch, what they promise (mb that's why there is almost no information about future plans?)))
    in less then two years: they gave conquest (u may like it or not, but it is resources. a lot of them), they increased gear amount from challenges, they doubled income of shards for characters, they increased income of crystals for most of the players. it is MUCH easier to develop a character from scratch, then it was before.yeah, when some bottlenecks are removed, then new ones are appearing , because one more time: this game IS bottleneck.

That's not quite how it works. As you keep adding more gear/relic levels you need to make the old stuff easier to obtain so that new players don't see an insurmountable wall and quit immediately. If you look at MSF, Purple gear was very hard to obtain until they added Orange gear and then it became much easier and Orange was the wall. Now Teal is the wall.

The past year has made a lot of purple easier to obtain in general but Kyros are still a huge bottleneck and then there's another painful bottleneck with Circuit Boards and Wiring. There's not even any story in the game (okay, you do feud with the Hutt guy at the fleet table but other than that) so it would be simplicity itself to just add another tier to one or more of the existing tables and toss some Circuit Boards there along with some of the newer characters instead of removing double nodes from JKR requirements for some bizarre reason.

• Options
    So who is going to play CG’s crappy new LOTR game? 😂 FOH with your ****.
  • Rius
    365 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    1. Where it says “Hard mode (conquest) will have better Datacron rewards than Normal” will the effects of datacrons be gated? With the 4M GP gating of proving grounds and now this are we seeing new content being gated behind 4M GP? Surely this increases the advantage in PVP. And if this is so, will there be more effort effort to prevent lower level players matchmaking 5-6M rosters in GAC?

2. How much notice will we have to pre-invest in specific characters with datacron ability. If announced a few months ahead we could have characters ready but a week ahead unless I have the character levelled it may not be possible to level up. (I realise this appears to be a more mature roster thing and looks fun for rosters which have a lot of characters already but if I do face these in GAC I will try to use them myself).
    Post edited by Rius on
  • Options
    joebroni wrote: »
    Booooorrrrring. What do these guys do with all their time?
    You know **** well what these **** do with their time. It ain’t regular guy stuff either.

• Lazy_Sith_Pa
    9 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

[/quote]
    Ripleymay wrote: »
    What currency do I spend to reroll the contents of this road ahead?

The short answer is US Dollars. OR CA Dollars if you live there. Or JP Yen if you live there. Or SA Rand if you live there. Etc. Etc.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    I appreciate this Road Ahead. Truly. Now I have a script that will fill my next filibuster. It’ll be like I said nothing at all.
  • Options
    You're not going to believe this, but the people on the forums are being overwhelming negative about something

You're not going to believe this, but people are going to be overwhelmingly negative about things that are not good.
  • HKFactory
    374 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    A few things, first, why are conquest, and territory wars specifically going to be the main source for acquiring datacrons and the material to upgrade them and reroll bonuses/stat values? I hate those game modes, especially the PvP game modes.

Second, out of the sets shown, for dark side factions, only the inquisitorius faction gets any bonuses, and only from just the first set while the other one after only provides bonuses for light side characters. This is not going to convince me to spend money to power up the inquisitors, or any other factions for that matter.

Third, the galactic legends are the characters in the least need of any bonuses to make them even more of a pain to deal with. Why would any of these bonuses, stat, faction, character specific, or otherwise apply to any of them, when they do not need it? If anything, I think there should be a clause that specifically denies galactic legends from getting any sort of bonuses from datacrons.

Fourth, characters need to be relic level 3 for even a level one datacron to apply to that character when it’s still a pain to get characters to gear level 12, newer characters especially, who require a large amount of kyrotech gear pieces, and on top of that, if you have a relic level 7 character, then every other character on the team needs to be at least relic level 5 for that character to be able to get the level 9 character specific datacron bonus.
  • Options
    bull crap, that's all i have to say
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    HKFactory wrote: »
    A few things, first, why are conquest, and territory wars specifically going to be the main source for acquiring datacrons and the material to upgrade them and reroll bonuses/stat values? I hate those game modes, especially the PvP game modes.

Datacrons will only apply to gac/tw. So if you don't like pvp, you can also completely ignore them or just use what you get without any effort. This feature (for better or worse) is to make a difference in pvp modes and nowhere else.

• Disruptor92
    842 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    CG: The team would love to hear your questions and constructive concerns about Datacrons!

Also CG: *Proceeds to ignore any feedback as usual*
    Post edited by Disruptor92 on
  • Teron
    12 posts Member
    Options
    Dianora wrote: »
    Teron wrote: »

That's not quite how it works. As you keep adding more gear/relic levels you need to make the old stuff easier to obtain so that new players don't see an insurmountable wall and quit immediately. If you look at MSF, Purple gear was very hard to obtain until they added Orange gear and then it became much easier and Orange was the wall. Now Teal is the wall.

The past year has made a lot of purple easier to obtain in general but Kyros are still a huge bottleneck and then there's another painful bottleneck with Circuit Boards and Wiring. There's not even any story in the game (okay, you do feud with the Hutt guy at the fleet table but other than that) so it would be simplicity itself to just add another tier to one or more of the existing tables and toss some Circuit Boards there along with some of the newer characters instead of removing double nodes from JKR requirements for some bizarre reason.

why it isn't how it works?
    I tell you this: mk5 stun guns were worse, than kyros for me. they gave me mk5 from challenges -> kyros are problem now. and kyros aren't needed(except for 100 from g12 to g13, which isn't a problem really) for a lot of characters. yeah, they split content a bit, trying to control how new players develop. I don't see any harm here, to be honest. ccb also was never a problem for me, but they gave me conquest, where I can grind g12. now I relic characters faster. now I need more mats. now I have problems with ccb, cos I need more of them. and so on and so forth.

if u remove bottleneck from kyros and low relic mats, than main problem would be mk3 carbanti. what's next? remove it as well? a lot of guys ask for it even now.. remove? than one probably will be able to get character to r5 from scratch within a week, while logging once a day for less then half an hour.honestly, I may be mistaken, but this doesn't sound like a right approach for me.
  • Artumas
    324 posts Member
    Options
    After reading through the entire list of bonuses, all I have to say is this.

Did you guys actually think any of this through?

We have a slightly weaker version of deployable cooling systems that still very much works with DV against literally any team without like 200% tenacity.

We have the "lmao just try to beat this" rebel fighters datacron of "Start with 25% turn meter, 2 turns of damage immunity, and then wedge removes 25% turn meter from any enemy he damages, while being called to assist literally every turn because that's how rebel fighters work".

We have "Kill yourself attacking me and then I nuke you" Rey, with 60% damage reflection, and +300% damage on her ult that already half kills basically any other team in the game.

We have "Because JMK wasn't already broken enough", where high ground now ignores protection and the entire team can now endlessly stun anything that's not immune to stun because 3PO under JMK pretty much provides infinite 0 cooldowns. Or, you don't even go with a JMK-oriented bonus on that one, but instead run Aayla, who just gets a bonus turn every time someone on the team uses a special, because every special stuns someone. Oh, and did I mention that the entire team recovers 10% health and protection every time someone does literally anything due to the stunning?

I like the concept. I'm not against the idea.
    But... who did the testing here? Who thought any of these were good ideas to allow? Is there even anything in the game that can beat this JMK team aside from an exact mirror that outspeeds with every character on the team?
    Is there anything other than the newly returned infinite massacre DV that can beat a +70% health Rey that insta-nukes your entire team as soon as her ult goes off?
  • Options
    Interesting concept but I don't think a lot of us have many squads with r3-7 characters that are underutilized outside of GL requirement scrap. And omnicrons have made most of these squads usable.

My biggest concern will be how datacons will interact with GLs.
  • Options
    Why would anyone think the player base needed additional ways to make infrequent battles more difficult to predict. Nobody, simply milking whales. This isn't new content and makes nothing more fun in the game. Adding new player tiers etc. makes battles less predictable, we have no sandbox mode, it needlessly creates a player arms race without any fun enhancements, and it surely doesn't address the rampant cheating in the game. I'm shocked there isn't a class action lawsuite against cg for not addressing cheating or reports of cheating.