[MEGATHREAD] Road Ahead: June 2022 - Datacrons

Replies

• Options
    Thanks I hate it. Sadly, I think this is about how this is going to go, and why CG keeps finding new ways to milk the community, because in a world where the next quarter's earning reports mean infinitely more than customer satisfaction/brand loyalty, CG is indeed, going to CG.

6j6jin.jpg
  • Options
    awfully short road ahead. Is CG only planning for SWGOH to be functioning only a couple months into the future with each of these now? Road Ahead used to look toward the future but now it seems like CG is only planning a month or two into the future max.

Now, as for Datacrons.....why? I mean I can't count the issues here nor hope to cover all of them but I'll try to get the standouts:
    1- You want to "break up the meta" so the first set of datacrons BOOSTS the current meta......um....what?
    2- Limited rerolls. After 5 years playing and experiencing your in-game RNG with mods, consider me wholly skeptical about how good the RNG will be with rolling datacrons.
    3- Temporary nature. These things are late, late game targeted. For newer players, they could build a team up only to have its effectiveness neutered in a month. Which is rough. It's rough for late game players too. Especially what goes into my fourth issue- relic requirements for effectiveness.
    4- Increasing relic investment requirements for keeping up with the meta with no further gear crunch relief. In the first part of phase 1 gear adjustment, CG severely strangled us on Carbantis and never followed up or through with the 2nd part of phase 1 and have seemingly abandoned the gear relief effort altogether. If Relics are the new gear, then the old gear needs to be more ubiquitous. Especially kyros which are draining with every new character needing more and more and more of them.
    5- You opted to choose 2 of the strongest factions in the game to get further boosted while boasting about breaking up the meta....have you all not seen what TWs and GACs look like lately? full of GR & CLS-Rebels :joy:

Overall this is just...oof. Awful.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    Looooki wrote: »

Oh where is the art for this cron? So wanted to know how the designers did it

You want to see the sketches of a shiny box?

• Options
    Are we gonna get any actual quality of life updates in the road ahead?
  • Options
    I'm excited! Seems like a fun way to bring underused squads and characters into the spotlight. As long as they don't just use them to push new factions (looking at you, inquisitors) and overpower galactic legends...

all 3 LS GLs will be getting boosts by these datacrons.
  • Options
    So as I read it datacrons won't need regular gear now? I think that was the major negative. So 'wait and see' I think.
  • Options
    Our expectations for you CG were low, but holy cow!!! You can bring the bar to levels never seen before
  • Options
    Although I do agree, we need pt.2 of the gear crunch and some quality of life improvements...

Did you see some of the character bonuses?!
    Some of them are crazy insane!

I can't wait to play around with this stuff. It's going to make things a whole lot more interesting. GAC and TW is going from checkers to chess!
  • Options
    I Don't know what to say. I don't hate the concept. It seems like an ok feature. But no one was asking for this. We want gear changes, Sith raid sims, completed fleets, fixes to cheating, etc. I am not a person who is negative online. But I just don't understand. I miss when there was more than one star wars mobile game.
  • Options
    Look I get the goal is to make money and all but you guys would make so much more money if you actually attempted to please the people that played this game
  • Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    Vengence wrote: »
    We need a thumbs down

use me as a thumbs down button

i want more forum likes

I don't want to thumbs down you. It feels wrong somehow.

i’m very likable

23 other people agree
  • Options
    Can I get more Stun Guns and Carbantis first? I need 72 full pieces for the current gear level of my characters. I'm afraid all those G8-G9 characters won't be able to take advantage of this new change.
  • Options
    This is dumb AF. **** CG and **** this game
  • Options
    CG, we don't want this. None of us wants this.
  • Options
    Vengence wrote: »
    We need a thumbs down

use me as a thumbs down button

i want more forum likes

I don't want to thumbs down you. It feels wrong somehow.

i’m very likable

23 other people agree

No it’s just the same person from 23 different IP addresses and accounts.
  • Options
    Although I do agree, we need pt.2 of the gear crunch and some quality of life improvements...

Did you see some of the character bonuses?!
    Some of them are crazy insane!

I can't wait to play around with this stuff. It's going to make things a whole lot more interesting. GAC and TW is going from checkers to chess!

Maybe you enjoy reading paragraphs of text in unique datacrons before each TW/GAC battle, but I can assure you that the majority of players with full time jobs and/or family responsibilities like actually playing the game and not agonizing about how to beat the specific modifiers on this team right now. All the known and years long established counters are out the window.

Forget players leaving, guilds will not be able to bribe people to be officers. The micromanagement necessary to optimize counters is staggering.

The game is a holotable battle simulator, not a book matching game. CG devs do you even play your own game? (We know you don't)
  • Options
    What currency do I spend to reroll the contents of this road ahead?
  • Options
    You know something is a "great idea" when no one, even on your own forums page, is excited about this update. You can say its just a "small vocal majority on Reddit" but literally no one on any form of media is talking positively about this (or most of you're recent decisions/updates lately). Do you guys not have a dislike feature on this website because you'd actually feel obligated to address the community then? I don't understand the point of "community updates" if you never respond to negative feedback on these updates and the company never actually listens to what the community wants to begin with. Like why even communicate with us at all at this point? You clearly don't care what we have to say. Its been seven years and people have been asking for so many things that have never seen the light of day on this game, like a fun PvP mode against your friends, but because things like that don't make a profit you make excuses as to why it cant be added or don't address the requests at all. Then you add stuff like this that LITERALLY NO ONE is asking for. So seriously, why address us at all at this point?
  • Gawejn
    1116 posts Member
    Options
    Stenun wrote: »
    I don't remember the last time CG announced anything new that was warmly embraced by this forum. Yet you all keep playing. I don't think CG listen to forum complaints anymore because you guys have all monaed about everything everytime for years.
    If you really want them to listen, it has to come from in game activities. Try and organise a boycot of the Datacrons if you like. See how far you get.

I stoped playing this game like a month ago, on my both accounts, both with gls. I couldnt go on with gac madness, and this datacrons.. It will be a mess, much bigger mess than it was for last few months..
  • Options
    What’s sad is I’m a 6 million player in kyber and in gac I’m gonna lose to a 2 million player cause he got good datacrons and I got crap
  • Myrandomappletree
    9 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    So no Galactic Legend Announcement? No gear phase 2? nothing about players account getting hacked and deleted?no grand inquisitor kit reveal? no ship balances? this isn't a road ahead, it's just a reminder of stuff we already knew
  • Options
    Ryuseiken wrote: »
    Seriously?! Only TWO things in a Road Ahead post?
    What about the part 2 of the Gear changes promised almost a year ago?
    What about quality of life stuff? No more mod limit on the inventory, pre-set fleets?
    A new raid for ships?
    A New Game mode maybe? A new map for Territory Battles, like Endor, Coruscant, Scarif, the bathroom in the Death Star, for God sake...

Sometimes I wonder why I keep playing this

A Death Star bathroom map would be kinda sick ngl
  • Options
    What’s sad about this is I wish we got a new gl announced cause that is better news than this
  • Options
    So you're character specific datacron requires that one character to be R7, and the rest of their team to be R5? And if the player doesn't have those characters at that mark they can't benefit from it?? And then the benefits are gone after a few months???

CG, how does this even benefit you guys? You're shooting yourself in the foot. This is a terrible idea! No one wants this!

But hey, I'm going to enjoy all the rage posts on the forums from all the Kyber division players who are getting beat down by that one lucky kid who got his datacron maxed perfectly and knocked the truly strategic better players to lower levels! That'll be glorious to see those smug players deal with the same issues that the rest of us face daily!.. so, I guess in that sense, thank you CG. I'll have my popcorn ready!

This is the worst possible idea you could have thought of, bravo CG!
  • Options
    No GL hype, no news of a new raid like Death Star requiring ships and toons, no news of a new DS TB. Last one was 3 years ago and it’s growing stale. Datacrons are a cool idea but I just think the omnis changed the meta better. Datacrons should have been like an end of the year release once the omnis been around for a longer time and could supplement the “meta” instead the release cadence imo is to close together. The community is begging for new things to do and look forward to that doesn’t mean new grinds without letting up on the old ones. Relics are now way more important so gear 12 down should be a breeze because farming goals now will require more gear nodes for relic pieces. Give us a gear relief update and make a new raid to give the community something challenging to theory craft on
  • ToJ85
    27 posts Member
    Options
    This is such a middle finger to the community. They don't care.
  • Options
    Kit interactions are tremendously complicated and the costs of blowing a counter are high against many (but not all) opponents.

As a result, you're encouraged not to use your own characters creatively and see what happens, but to follow an exact counter plan using the same character, turn order (which means similar mods) and strategy as someone else who made a youtube video and told you what to do, step by step.

Now, no one has to do this, but that's what we're encouraged to do. With Conquest as well. With rotating modifiers to layer on top of already complicated kit interactions, this only increases the pressure to follow the instructions of someone else to get your rewards.

But you know what watching videos, remodding your characters, and then pushing buttons exactly as instructed isn't? It's not fun. And it's not a game.

I have to say I'm tremendously relieved that you won't be buying datacrons and their upgrade mats using needed gear (like Carbantis) which would have worsened the crunch that we're supposed to see alleviated. CG, you did well to listen to feedback and undo that mechanism.

That said, the game is less and less about playing around and more and more about doing what you're told. Ultimately we're going to get to a place where the people who want to play a game (rather than watch youtube videos and then press buttons on cue like a worker on a production line) will need to not care very much about whether they win or lose the current GAC or TW or whatever because we can play around one GAC and remember those lessons for the next, since the dynamics of the next may be very different with Datacrons expiring and being newly issued.

And, okay, I don't really care about GAC or TW much anymore. I play because I really enjoy the KAM mission specifically and to a lesser extent the TBs which are still challenging while also still being beatable by different compositions. I can develop the characters and skill to defeat those things myself in a way that lasts from month to month. I can see the challenge ahead of me and work to overcome it using my own brain and my own creativity and whatever time I feel I have to devote to the problem. But what happens when we need a LOT of players who don't care much about winning or losing so that it becomes worth it to play around with characters instead of using Guild-Leader-ordered counters or whatever? I'm worried that if we're required to stop caring about winning or losing in order to be able to play the game for ourselves, that not very many other people will be able to find one thing in the game, like I have, to keep them coming back when the rest of the game loses its lustre.

I had hoped that Conquest would be that place where you can use many different, inventive squads, but it, too, has become formulaic with the feats being too prescriptive.

Changing metas is fine, but this creates a meta that changes frequently and unpredictably and, most importantly, in a way that doesn't allow you to learn permanent lessons. I remember, after all, the Grievous nuke team. I remember taking DR/Malak against JKR. They're not meta anymore, but I still remember the battles which means I can still use those tactics.

With datacrons, the meta isn't just temporary because new things were introduced. The meta is temporary because your current abilities will be drastically different in 3 months from what they are today. You won't be able to say, I beat team X with squad Y 5 months ago, so i know I can do that today. That's how a changing meta worked before: new squads might be the bests, but the mechanics of previous matchups didn't change if you happened to want to attack that same defense with your old, familiar option on offense.

With datacrons, we move more and more towards a future in which the game is only played by a few Krakens who have every character available and don't mind losing money to have some fun experimenting. The rest of us will just be pushing buttons, one after the other, as we're told.

As I said, I'm glad this doesn't hurt the gear economy -- that was a good change. But at its core datacrons push us every closer to a gaming experience that deemphasizes the elements that are most fun and emphasizes the elements that are most like the worst part of our everyday jobs.

Doesn't that seem like a bad trade?
  • Options
    With these Datacrons primarily helping players with deep rosters, what will be done to help early to mid-game players be able to get to a place where these can be used to their full potential?
    With the time it takes to gear characters, for early to mid-game players, this feels like the goal posts are just being moved back without any help in accelerating the progression for those players.
  • Options
    DarthGrff wrote: »
    What’s sad is I’m a 6 million player in kyber and in gac I’m gonna lose to a 2 million player cause he got good datacrons and I got crap

Nope.

They won't be able to get any decent datacrons until they hit the 4Mgp threshold to play hard mode in Conquest.