Did CG really break their promise regarding gear changes?

Replies

• Ultra
    11504 posts Moderator
    Options
    2 pieces of kyros, 3 signal data

Thats the only gear grind in SWGOH imo

I don't think 5 pieces of gear is that bad for all characters in the game
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »

And how many kyro’s does one character take? How many pieces of each signal data? Relic material? Core gear pieces? G12 pieces? You’re grossly understating the gear sink for just one toon.
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    Options

Add to that Carbantis at minimum. Some characters need 3-4 full Carbantis alone or combined with other gear pieces for 1 gear level! That's 150/200 Carbantis just for 1 level! That's absolutely insane, especially now that they are worth nothing without Relics. It's not even that they get a lot better after finishing that gear level, for example 8 to 9 or 9 to 10.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options

And how many pieces need 50 carbantis? Mk5 & 6 Stun guns, Mk5 detonators, not to mention Mk3 Carbantis themselves. Extrapolate it by x number of characters and you have yourself a grind.
  • Options
    It’s clear that CG, historically, is not good at communicating accurately for a game that evolves constantly. Since Carrie departed, their messaging has suffered. Either they don’t truly have a dedicated communicator, or that communicator is unable to be effective because someone in leadership prevents the effective messaging or CG does not really want to inform the player base effectively. Regardless, i no longer assume anything communicated by them is permanent or assured. What really irks me is their lack of giving us expectation dates. Don’t tell me you are going to reduce the burden for R8 and R9 materials in the same notice where you outline new R8 and R9 required characters. It prevents players from planning and this game is not an impulse type of play if one wants to be competitive at the higher end. Sure many players never visit the forums and won’t know that the Profundity and Jabba are coming soon until the in-game announcement but for those that do visit the forums, it’s pretty clear we like timelines, deadlines for when commitments will be delivered. Then if CG does give a timeline, to either meet it or update us in when they will or if they are no longer going to meet the previous commitment(s).
  • Ultra
    11504 posts Moderator
    Options

And how many pieces need 50 carbantis? Mk5 & 6 Stun guns, Mk5 detonators, not to mention Mk3 Carbantis themselves. Extrapolate it by x number of characters and you have yourself a grind.

You can get them from multiple sources, so they aren't that bad, unless you are a new player, and even then, you can still get plenty of them each week (just need to be patient) but the carbanti's, stun guns, etc you get is far more than you need at endgame
  • Options

You can get them from multiple sources, so they aren't that bad, unless you are a new player, and even then, you can still get plenty of them each week (just need to be patient) but the carbanti's, stun guns, etc you get is far more than you need at endgame

What? You’re joking right?

You’re really gonna tell us that we get enough core gear as it stands?
    Mk3 Carbantis are now the biggest choke point as they are needed for stun guns, mk5 thermal detonators, their own piece, as well as G12 finishers and G12+ pieces. Characters need 100-150 at minimum. Some need as many at 600+!

Then add in their kyro’s that they lied would replace the core gear we needed and help ease the crunch, which in fact it made it far worse.

CG knew what they were doing. If they had any foresight at all they would’ve stopped having us need this core gear at G11 then made the unique pieces as they did for G12. But no they required more core gear for G12+ and finishers. Then they made us scrap gear needed for up to G11 for relic material on top of the signal data for relics. Oh then they doubled down on reusing old gear for the relic materials making us burn G12 gear and beyond for the higher relic levels.

They painted themselves into a corner by what they can do to alleviate the gear crunch because of how much it’s constantly reused it. They should’ve just created new gear pieces and they could’ve naturally made old pieces far more accessible without making it too available to make high relic levels too easy.
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

How nice that it is enough for endgame players. There are more midgame/new players than endgame players, but they don't count?

And I have to disagree with you here:

pi0v9a7ze0i4.jpg

72l3sj3satw9.jpg

Edit to add: These are to full pieces needed for my account.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • DeusArt
    131 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I think Kyro parts bigger problem than Carbanti(for all units 23600 shocks + 16000 computers vs 49900 carbanties). But Curbanti is pretty tough bottleneck. Would be great to add new challenge for Kyros and add fix 10 Carbanti parts to raids rewards.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Just going to throw this out there…

More than one poster in this thread has stated that they “should be able to get to g11” (some have even stated g12) instantly on any character.

Why? What’s the basis for this? We’re all playing a resource management roster progression game, and I’m confused as to why some players are so adamant that they can self-ascribe the point at which gearing a new character becomes non trivial. And that, because the devs don’t share your arbitrary view, they are some sort of horrible evil monster.

Right now I’ve got 31 g12 toons, 9 g11 toons and 31 at g10 or lower. All the rest are g13 (that’s 157 toons). @ShaggyB @Granolo - do you really think it’s a travesty that I have 31 (for Shaggy) or 40 (for Granolo) characters that aren’t already at g11/12?

There must be around 4000 players in my position, who have all 6 GLs unlocked but don’t have absolutely everything in their roster at g11/12 minimum.

And before anyone leaps in with hackneyed accusations of “defending CG”, I’m 100% in agreement that they should follow through on announced gear economy changes. I just think the extent to which some forumers think this should reach (like being able to instantly take any character to g11 or g12) is ridiculous.

That really depends on why you dont have your characters leveled.

Point is right now gear 8 and gear 9 are still the gate. Its been that way for 5ish years now

Is gear 12 left side still the highest you can go?

Ok what about gear 12+ or gear 12 finisher piece, is that still the top?

Relic 7 still the top?

What about Relic 8?

So we havr had 4 expansions to the top end of what a character can be geared to... yey we still get stuck at gear 8 or 9 because of the carbanti situation... that seems right to you?

I have 3 still to unlock if you count ben swolo, nothing below gear 8: 6 at gear 8, 18 at gear 9, 5 at gear 10, 16 at gear 11, 21 at gear 12 and the rest are relic 5 or higher.

Not sure what your point is with the count, i dont care how many people are in the situation you or i are in, thats not what matters.

What matters is anytime they add a new gear level or relic level, they should be increasing the amount of lower tier gear we get to ease the ability to get to the higher levels.

It should be a sliding scale, not a moving goal post.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »

More than one poster in this thread has stated that they “should be able to get to g11” (some have even stated g12) instantly on any character.

Why? What’s the basis for this? We’re all playing a resource management roster progression game, and I’m confused as to why some players are so adamant that they can self-ascribe the point at which gearing a new character becomes non trivial. And that, because the devs don’t share your arbitrary view, they are some sort of horrible evil monster.

Right now I’ve got 31 g12 toons, 9 g11 toons and 31 at g10 or lower. All the rest are g13 (that’s 157 toons). @ShaggyB @Granolo - do you really think it’s a travesty that I have 31 (for Shaggy) or 40 (for Granolo) characters that aren’t already at g11/12?

There must be around 4000 players in my position, who have all 6 GLs unlocked but don’t have absolutely everything in their roster at g11/12 minimum.

And before anyone leaps in with hackneyed accusations of “defending CG”, I’m 100% in agreement that they should follow through on announced gear economy changes. I just think the extent to which some forumers think this should reach (like being able to instantly take any character to g11 or g12) is ridiculous.

That really depends on why you dont have your characters leveled.

Point is right now gear 8 and gear 9 are still the gate. Its been that way for 5ish years now

Is gear 12 left side still the highest you can go?

Ok what about gear 12+ or gear 12 finisher piece, is that still the top?

Relic 7 still the top?

What about Relic 8?

So we havr had 4 expansions to the top end of what a character can be geared to... yey we still get stuck at gear 8 or 9 because of the carbanti situation... that seems right to you?

I have 3 still to unlock if you count ben swolo, nothing below gear 8: 6 at gear 8, 18 at gear 9, 5 at gear 10, 16 at gear 11, 21 at gear 12 and the rest are relic 5 or higher.

Not sure what your point is with the count, i dont care how many people are in the situation you or i are in, thats not what matters.

What matters is anytime they add a new gear level or relic level, they should be increasing the amount of lower tier gear we get to ease the ability to get to the higher levels.

It should be a sliding scale, not a moving goal post.

Make that 8 at gear 8, forgot i had shortie and krrsantan favorited
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    DeusArt wrote: »
    I think Kyro parts bigger problem than Carbanti(for all units 23600 shocks + 16000 computers vs 49900 carbanties). But Curbanti is pretty tough bottleneck. Would be great to add new challenge for Kyros and add fix 10 Carbanti parts to raids rewards.

Sure they are but kyro are designed to be the issue and should be what is stopping me from gearing things up.... not carbanti and stunguns and golden eyes thermals etc.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options

Disagree with you here. Those should be doubled in all thr places you are thinking to even start to make a dent in the issue
  • BobaFettish86
    590 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

That's great for endgame players who only have the latest marquees to gear, but I think you're missing the point here. Carbantis were already in the daily challenge rotation - in my experience averaging 17 pieces - and the "chance" of obtaining them from the daily quest barely moves the needle when it comes to carbantis. I'm sure CG already know this since they have all the data.
  • Options
    Ok so maybe I’m not an end level player having only 8.5 million GP but carbantis & stun cuffs are still an issue for me.
  • Options
    For anyone saying the gear crunch is adequate start a new account and tell me the gear reqs aren’t exceedingly oppressive. Don’t assume you know. Start an account, play it for 6 months and come back here and tell us gear at all levels isn’t a problem and doesn’t need seriously addressed.

A new account needs 50,000 carbantis (made up number) but because your account accumulated 48,000 over 5 years you think that’s not a problem for anyone else, which is wildly self-centric and wrong. I get it. You’re on higher ground (pun intended) because you’ve been playing “SiNC3 2015” but you fail to realize that you had to gear up 30 toons when you started but new players need to gear up 250. And it’s not a progression problem for you because you don’t need to grind out Hux shards or Vulture droid shards to clear content so you can focus entirely on carbantis or relic mats.

Just once…please for one second…consider that there are players of all levels, account ages and progression points playing this game and gear is way more oppressive early game than at 8M gp.
  • Options
    you fail to realize that you had to gear up 30 toons when you started but new players need to gear up 250.

You don’t need to gear up 250 instead of 30, you can choose who you gear up in a pool of 250 instead of 50. Congrats, starting now is more fun than it was 7 years ago because you have far more choices in your progression.
    On top of that you have much more resources for gear/shards that players had 7 years ago: more assault battles, GC, Conquest, TB, TW, GAC, more raids, more events (galactic bounties and such). And you have double drop on shards that allow you to save energy to farm gear instead, as well as far better gear in daily challenges.
    I’m not saying that more gear won’t be nice though. Good thing that Crumb confirmed in the escape podcast that it was coming, even if it’s later than expected.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    you fail to realize that you had to gear up 30 toons when you started but new players need to gear up 250.

You don’t need to gear up 250 instead of 30, you can choose who you gear up in a pool of 250 instead of 50. Congrats, starting now is more fun than it was 7 years ago because you have far more choices in your progression.
    On top of that you have much more resources for gear/shards that players had 7 years ago: more assault battles, GC, Conquest, TB, TW, GAC, more raids, more events (galactic bounties and such). And you have double drop on shards that allow you to save energy to farm gear instead, as well as far better gear in daily challenges.
    I’m not saying that more gear won’t be nice though. Good thing that Crumb confirmed in the escape podcast that it was coming, even if it’s later than expected.

That’s proving my point even more. You run assault battles up to tier 3 (I assume) which turns into shard shop currency which turns into gear. A newer player can clear the first couple levels, gets 0 shard currency because they don’t have every toon at 7* and very very little useful gear. That helps your gear economy but does absolutely nothing for them.

It’ll never happen but CG should start all news players with 7* G12 phoenix and their 7* ships (1 issued per day after the first 6 days). They should also double the shard drop each year a character has been released:

1 year = 2 shards per drop
    2 years = 4 shards
    3 years = 8 shards
    4 years = 16 shards
    5 years = 32 shards

AND once you hit 7* you get no shard currency. You’d never want that because it would upset YOUR gear economy - which is my entire point. Not every player has the same gear experience and it’s much worse for newer players who have to grind shards and gear on lesser rewarding content.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options

To play, yes... to get to end game, no.

Im currently gearing everyone to gear 11.... thats my personal goal.

I stop that to farm things like raddus ship requirements and GL requirements....

But yeah to even get those gear 8, 9 and 10s to 11, i need a bunch of stunguns and carbantis.

Older characters dont need the kyro till last gear 12 piece, so thats nice.... but the rest is overwhelming and should not be at this point
  • Options

I stop that to farm things like raddus ship requirements and GL requirements....

But yeah to even get those gear 8, 9 and 10s to 11, i need a bunch of stunguns and carbantis.

Older characters dont need the kyro till last gear 12 piece, so thats nice.... but the rest is overwhelming and should not be at this point

You can do the g11 thing if you want to and that's how you enjoy the game. But gotta admit there's no reason game requires for you to do so and that's good resource management.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »

You can do the g11 thing if you want to and that's how you enjoy the game. But gotta admit there's no reason game requires for you to do so and that's good resource management.

2 reasons the game does require me to do that.

1. CG constantly forces us to gear the toons we as a community dont have high gear on... pig guard anyone?
    2. The end game calls and that is about having the most varied character pool to set on defense and use on offense to get wins in gac.

So while i get at the beginning and middle of the game, gear is best spent on the best characters... there comes a point when one needs to simply to get ahead of panic gearing by having the gear already done.

This then gets you to a point where keeping carbantis on hand in a stock pile is much much easier.

So how do you do it... well you start with characters that arent a total waste. Take your pilots to gear 11. Then to relic 5.

Go to teams that counter gac defense in interesting ways next. Jawas as an example.

Save the junk for last, but eventually know you will relic 5 cup
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options

1. CG constantly forces us to gear the toons we as a community dont have high gear on... pig guard anyone?
    2. The end game calls and that is about having the most varied character pool to set on defense and use on offense to get wins in gac.

So while i get at the beginning and middle of the game, gear is best spent on the best characters... there comes a point when one needs to simply to get ahead of panic gearing by having the gear already done.

This then gets you to a point where keeping carbantis on hand in a stock pile is much much easier.

So how do you do it... well you start with characters that arent a total waste. Take your pilots to gear 11. Then to relic 5.

Go to teams that counter gac defense in interesting ways next. Jawas as an example.

Neither of those reasons exist immediately though. I have 30 characters below g11 as a day 1 player and simply no reason yet for me to put any extra gear on them beyond g8.

Already cleared g13 reqs for profundity and jabba+some assumed fillers that will get announced. But naturally I get bottlenecked on relic mats and have yet to clear those. That's the more prominent bottleneck for end game players assuming they don't gear stuff just because.
  • Options
    The solution is simple. Lower the crystal cost of all things in the gear challenges. I might actually buy carbantis if they were 500 crystals instead of 1400. It doesn't seem worthwhile to spend most of a week's savings on one piece for one character, especially when you get one piece a week for free. Sure, I could double the amount of carbantis I get per week by buying one at 1400, but then I'd have little savings for things like double drop events and chases. Besides, then I'd just run into stungun shortages again.

Lowering the cost on those items would make it easier to gear up to 12 but wouldn't do much to help getting to relic, which is mostly what people want. You'd still get stuck at low level gear with kyros on newer characters, but that adds some strategy to deciding where to focus as a new player. You can get many good characters that don't need kyros and even a few GL requirements have many older characters.
  • Options
    There are many viable solutions to this issue but they all start with CG realizing that 5+ year old content should not be seen as a perpetual stream of income. There has to be a balance to the ingame economy to have the grind stay fun or at least tolerable. When adding new layers of grind requirements the older bottlenecks should be eased accordingly. And new content that lets you use the new layers of power should be added. Do not just increase difficulty on old content. Grind that lets players feel a sense of achievement is fun, grind that just make you feel like you have to “pay” for staying at the same spot you already were is bad design. Both models generates revenue but one is toxic to the clients.
  • Options

The problem with the whole "get them from multiple sources" is that the resources you have to use to buy them, are resources you could use to buy other gear. Replacing one bottleneck with a different one doesn't speed up the process of gearing a character, increasing the total amount of resources you earn or directly increasing the amount of gear is the only way you can speed things up
  • Rius
    368 posts Member
    Options

I would agree with this in principle however SWGOH pressures progression of rosters that there is a widening gap and experience in the game. It does not work as matchmaking in most PVP will put us against older accounts and all PVE being released is either gated or tuned for large rosters.

If we were battling our equals (accounts relatively same age) we could progress similarly to those before us with almost the same experience. Throw us up against rosters older rosters 2-4M greater than us, then we need the means to catch up to enjoy the game. Its the inequality in matchmaking with much larger rosters which create the urgency to level up and this has worsened the pain of the gear crunch for newer players. That is certainly something the larger accounts do not understand unless they have alts.

Requirements are constantly increasing so no we often do not have the choice out of all characters and end up treading the most efficient pathways. I defaulted from this and I am still chugging away to get my choice GL much slower because of the extremely high requirements. My advice in hindsight would be go for Rey or SLKR first to make farming rewards faster. So the choice is not really that good as it still feels like you should complete things in the order of release.

• ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options

Neither of those reasons exist immediately though. I have 30 characters below g11 as a day 1 player and simply no reason yet for me to put any extra gear on them beyond g8.

Already cleared g13 reqs for profundity and jabba+some assumed fillers that will get announced. But naturally I get bottlenecked on relic mats and have yet to clear those. That's the more prominent bottleneck for end game players assuming they don't gear stuff just because.

Relic should be the bottleneck.

Gear 8 and 9 should not be... period
  • Tiig
    296 posts Member
    Options

Why? What’s the basis for this? We’re all playing a resource management roster progression game, and I’m confused as to why some players are so adamant that they can self-ascribe the point at which gearing a new character becomes non trivial…..

Let me be super clear… for many of us, perhaps not most, but certainly a lot of players, no toon is worth anything below relic levels. End game players cannot use a G12 anywhere. We are the ones who should be able to get them at least to g12 on day 1 without effort, or they sit in the roster for a month or more un-useable. I’m lucky if I can hit G9 straight up these days.
  • Tiig
    296 posts Member
    Options
    Range1974 wrote: »
    It’s clear that CG, historically, is not good at communicating accurately for a game that evolves constantly. Since Carrie departed, their messaging has suffered. Either they don’t truly have a dedicated communicator, or that communicator is unable to be effective because someone in leadership prevents the effective messaging or CG does not really want to inform the player base effectively. Regardless, i no longer assume anything communicated by them is permanent or assured. What really irks me is their lack of giving us expectation dates. Don’t tell me you are going to reduce the burden for R8 and R9 materials in the same notice where you outline new R8 and R9 required characters. It prevents players from planning and this game is not an impulse type of play if one wants to be competitive at the higher end. Sure many players never visit the forums and won’t know that the Profundity and Jabba are coming soon until the in-game announcement but for those that do visit the forums, it’s pretty clear we like timelines, deadlines for when commitments will be delivered. Then if CG does give a timeline, to either meet it or update us in when they will or if they are no longer going to meet the previous commitment(s).

Who thought we’d ever miss Carrie?!
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    Tiig wrote: »

Why? What’s the basis for this? We’re all playing a resource management roster progression game, and I’m confused as to why some players are so adamant that they can self-ascribe the point at which gearing a new character becomes non trivial…..

Let me be super clear… for many of us, perhaps not most, but certainly a lot of players, no toon is worth anything below relic levels. End game players cannot use a G12 anywhere. We are the ones who should be able to get them at least to g12 on day 1 without effort, or they sit in the roster for a month or more un-useable. I’m lucky if I can hit G9 straight up these days.

Cg should consider why on the fence whaling doesnt happen.

Its because, if i choose to whale a day 1 character, i wont have the gear to use the character without whalen even more.

So what is the better option for me?

I go to swgoh.gg and check the gear list and start farming it and then wait for the character to be free to play... so when i do get 7 star i can go all the way up to my desired gear/relic level.

Example: raddus. I didnt buy him.... but once i 7 star him, i can go from gear 11 to relic 6 without waiting. Thats because i farmed his gear and geared him to the highest i could before 7 star and then went to swgoh.gg to know what gear to farm past that and save it.

Now if i had the ability to take him day 1 to gear 11 or maybe gear 12, id see a larger value in investing in him on day 1.

So krakens will kraken, youtubers will whale.... but us who could afford to give you $300 to $400, but wont because hes not playable at the level gear we get stuck at.... we are your potential market if you fix the gear problem.