Did CG really break their promise regarding gear changes?

Replies

• ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    It's interesting that people are using C-Rancor and the R5 gate when the real R5 gate right now is datacrons. How many people have leveled up a datacron to rank 6 only to find out it doesn't work because Zombie or Pao is G12. Datacrons are not going away and Relic 5 is the new baseline for PVP content.

Thats a fair point... though i hate datacrons and only use them on my relic characters... which are all r5 or higher, so didnt notice
    You can’t use datacrons at all if there’s a character at g12 or below, so you’re not the only one who is only using them on relic characters.

R5 is a squad-wide requirement for the level 6 boost of a level 6 datacron to apply.

Honestly... never tried thrm on a non relic team, wow... werent these marketed as a way for mid game players to be able to use to combat higher tier opponents?
  • Axis
    78 posts Member
    Options
    It's interesting that people are using C-Rancor and the R5 gate when the real R5 gate right now is datacrons. How many people have leveled up a datacron to rank 6 only to find out it doesn't work because Zombie or Pao is G12. Datacrons are not going away and Relic 5 is the new baseline for PVP content.

Thats a fair point... though i hate datacrons and only use them on my relic characters... which are all r5 or higher, so didnt notice
    You can’t use datacrons at all if there’s a character at g12 or below, so you’re not the only one who is only using them on relic characters.

R5 is a squad-wide requirement for the level 6 boost of a level 6 datacron to apply.

Honestly... never tried thrm on a non relic team, wow... werent these marketed as a way for mid game players to be able to use to combat higher tier opponents?

Yes. They even said in their big post that it made new characters usable "from day one" :joy: CG's got jokes.
  • Tellithowitis
    194 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Bro I'm here as a returning player, I started a new account and realized it would take months just to get to level 85 and unlock any characters. I went back to my old abandoned account that's been sitting since GAS came out with 9 gear 13s and a bunch of 12s...
    I've been back for over 3 weeks, played every day and so far I haven't even managed to collect enough kyrotech to get Malak to gear 13... I have some saved up crystals and I could use that, but I refuse to do that, I shouldn't have to use crystals for gear, I'm just trying to see how long ONE g12 finisher is gonna take without dropping crystals and so far 3.5 weeks seems like it is, unless you've stockpiled grand arena and guild event tokens.

At this pace to get every toon to hear 13 would probably take a f2p player more than their entire LIFESPAN so let that sink in. You'll be 80 years old trying to max out every character.

The pace of earning stun cuffs, stun guns and carbantis is still pathetically slow. I'm trying to see if I can unlock a couple legendaries like GAS, Luke and Mando and at the same time trying to get GL Kylo, and there's no way I can do more than one at a time.

People wanna talk about gear? Let's talk hard mode farming for shards for a minute! Do you have any idea how insanely painful it is to farm a single character through a hard node? And since I need to also farm a few characters from the cantina battles, getting on the relic material farming is impossible right now.

With how slow gear 12 to 13 is and how slow relic progress is, I simply fail to see how it makes sense to the devs to have us stuck at gear 8-9, sometimes even 7 if the character requires a carbantis to get to 8. Meanwhile the rewards from AAT and Rancor have still not been buffed!?!? That's so perplexing to me, these two raids need to be dropping FULL pieces at 100% rate, how's that not a thing yet?

[CM - Edited for minor profanity]
    Post edited by EA_Mako on
  • Options
    People wanna **** about gear? Let's talk hard mode farming for shards for a minute! Do you have any idea how insanely painful it is to farm a single character through a hard node?
    I’m pretty sure everyone on these forums knows this, because we have all done it and continue to do it.

At least you can get double shards for the characters you missed in your time away.
  • Options
    Farming character shards are of course slow but not really the bottleneck, and after a year they go on double speed.
    Gear is the real issue, to paraphrase Frank Herbert “Gear is the mind killer”
  • SotaDraken
    447 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Was there an announcement that Datacrons are here to stay that I missed? I thought this was an "exhibition season" and based off of this forum, Reddit, Discord and YouTube, it is not well received. Those who I have seen that are talking somewhat favorable are some content creators.. Which in all honesty, is a little suspect. But maybe I am too cynical..

We see how the packs have been lowered in price, CG is offering Bonus drops for Set 3 to get people interested and I just don't see these Datacrons lasting in their current form..

• MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    SotaDraken wrote: »

Was there an announcement that Datacrons are here to stay that I missed? I thought this was an "exhibition season" and based off of this forum, Reddit, Discord and YouTube, it is not well received. Those who I have seen that are talking somewhat favorable are some content creators.. Which in all honesty, is a little suspect. But maybe I am too cynical..

We see how the packs have been lowered in price, CG is offering Bonus drops for Set 3 to get people interested and I just don't see these Datacrons lasting in their current form..

No such announcement, but all new things that came with an exhibition stayed whether changed a bit or not. I would both be glad and surprised if crons were to be scratched.
  • Options
    Tournaments got scratched. So if the whales just stand firm and refuse this travesty we will all see it disappear.
  • Options
    World's biggest "if"
  • Options
    Tournaments got scratched. So if the whales just stand firm and refuse this travesty we will all see it disappear.
    Tournaments getting scrapped had nothing to do with whales standing firm.

It was the widespread collusion / cheating that led to them getting dropped.
  • Options
    Never saw that official explanation. I thought the whales got angry about not being able to get the reward character, was it Sun Fac or Shoretrooper?
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    Never saw that official explanation. I thought the whales got angry about not being able to get the reward character, was it Sun Fac or Shoretrooper?

It was shortie.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options

Sun Fac was Aurodium. Pretty sure Shoretrooper was the last tournament character. But they were definitely cancelled because of cheating, not because whales refused to spend on them. They actually caused quite the crystal drain.
  • Options
    Well if that was the official reason I stand corrected. But it’s strange that they cared about collusion in tournaments when they never gave a hoot about it in squad & fleet arena.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Well if that was the official reason I stand corrected. But it’s strange that they cared about collusion in tournaments when they never gave a hoot about it in squad & fleet arena.

Eh, different situation entirely.
    We are also aware that some players are colluding to quickly gain points in the Tournament. This behavior is not something we encourage and we will be taking steps to prevent this in future tournaments.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/698166#Comment_698166
  • Options
    Doesn’t really say they removed tournaments because of collusion though. Just acknowledging they have issues with it.
  • Options
    Tournaments getting scrapped had nothing to do with whales standing firm.

It was the widespread collusion / cheating that led to them getting dropped.

Cheating? What changed?
  • Options
    So here’s the official reason, no mention of cheating/collusion
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/93104/why-discontinue-tournaments#latest
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »

It was shortie.

Misread this as sortie and got very confused.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Huh. Never thought I’d see the day the forums believe a dev post word for word.
  • Options

Strange, I seem to recall you’re the one always the one demanding evidence when people makes a claim. Never thought I’d see the day indeed.
  • Options

Strange, I seem to recall you’re the one always the one demanding evidence when people makes a claim. Never thought I’d see the day indeed.
    Ok - where’s the evidence that they dropped them because whales got angry?
  • Options
    Sry i’ve only been at 85 for about a year now, but what were tournaments?
  • Options

Nice try shifting this around. You claimed CG dropped tournaments because cheating. The official reason was people stopping playing.
  • Options

Tournaments were a game mode in which you played as many pvp matches you could during a given time period and refreshing using ally points that you could buy. After which the people with the most wins got rewards and the top players got exclusive character shards. This is why some people had millions of ally points. It was extremely boring and grindy. CG learned their lesson and never ruined any game mode again with grindy elements….
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    Options

CG learned their lesson and never ruined any game mode again with grindy elements….

Haha I see what you did there 😉
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options

Nice try shifting this around. You claimed CG dropped tournaments because cheating. The official reason was people stopping playing.
    You claimed that if whales stand firm datacrons will get scrapped, like tournaments did. Insinuating that tournaments got scrapped for that reason. Neither of our reasons are what was stated in the official explanation though.

Have a think about this for a second…

In a thread where people are discussing whether or not CG “lied” in their State of the Gearlaxy post - the overwhelming sentiment being that they are not to be trusted - you are suggesting that we must trust implicitly what they said in a different post?

Their explanation for why they dropped tournaments is a load of business meeting waffle. They don’t mention the cheating / collusion because it’s bad for them to admit they can’t do anything to address it. They don’t mention the lack of anyone making purchases because it’s bad for them to admit they designed a bad game mode that customers didn’t invest in.

What we should be focusing on is how often they said they heard the forum feedback “loud and clear”. And we should be asking ourselves… was the forum feedback on tournaments as loud and as clear as it has been for datacrons? Because if it was, and the devs don’t change datacrons, then that’s further proof that what they say in their announcement posts is not always genuine.
  • Options
    SotaDraken wrote: »

They did something similar when conquest was new. Everyone loved it, so they made it far worse. Not expecting any changes that make datacrons better in any way. They should remove them, we will probably get something even worse.
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options

That's not true

I don't think cheating was an issue, rather collusion, which can be seen as cheating i guess (friends would set weak defense and then immediately swap back out)

Other issue was the lack of fairness (people who had more free time would benefit and ally points as a currency was unfair to those who didn't have as much in the bank), and crystals would've made it a P2P event
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »

That's not true

I don't think cheating was an issue, rather collusion, which can be seen as cheating i guess (friends would set weak defense and then immediately swap back out)

Other issue was the lack of fairness (people who had more free time would benefit and ally points as a currency was unfair to those who didn't have as much in the bank), and crystals would've made it a P2P event

There was definitely a bunch of cheating as well. At the time, I was far more aware of the cheaters than any colluding.