Replies

• Options
    Drathuk916 wrote: »
    I’m with the greater than 10% of the player base that either likes DCs or doesn’t mind having them in the game. Here are some reasons why:

1. Whales can now pay for temporary power. If I am a competitive F2P or light spender, this is a good thing because now I can better catch up in the long run on a power per $ spent basis.

2. So many players with better rosters than mine can’t handle DCs for whatever reason, and are now quitting. That’s ok with me because I get to move up just by sticking with the game. Thanks quitters. 😛

3. I like that DCs have made the same old battles more interesting while opening up new counters that work for just a limited time. CG has finally shaken up the squad arena and TW meta without invariably increasing power creep in the long run.

4. I like that they’ve made L9s reasonably accessible with Set 2’s Conquest. In fact, it may be too generous imo, but I’m not complaining.

So there you have it. A perspective from a top 50 guild player who doesn’t hate DCs. 😛

Concerning point one, yes and no. Clearly, any money/crystals/ssc etc. spent on DCs instead of gear, omicrons, characters or anything else not “temporary” might allow you to close the gap. However, there is a reason why we say whales are going to whale.

At the same time, datacron power isn’t temporary completely. Jmk stunning will be temporary and when that goes away those that “engaged” with datacrons are going to get more back than those that don’t. Now we haven’t seen the impact of this advantage in the dc system yet, but it’ll definitely give heavy dc guilds/players a significant advantage in the first two tws/week one of gac each month as those engaging with dcs at higher rates are going to be able to setup the new set faster.

Point 2 is kinda self defeating if you aren’t on the way out of the game. While it certainly alright to disagree with the majority and be happy with the short term advantages it provides you, I don’t think anyone should be okay with cg driving away players with their decisions.

Point 3 is part eye of the beholder/part continuation of point 1. The eye of the beholder part we can agree to disagree. Particular battles might be more enjoyable to some and not others. But once again dc power isn’t as temporary as both you(on the positive side) and almost all on the negative side believe. It’s still power creep with a built in depreciation mechanism to that power. As well as a built in changing of how that power is expressed.

Point 4 I mostly agree with. It is now more accessible but that begs the questions is it fun? Are players sufficiently rewarded for engaging with datacrons? For me it isn’t fun, and the roi is terrible. But that’s just me and mileage will obviously vary.

Thanks for a reasonable response!

To address your Point 2 response, I will counter that a lot of the perceived negative aspects of DCs only apply to a rather small subset of the overall player population, mainly the hyper-competitive section at the top of K1, the top 50-200 TW guilds, and their TW opponents if they get to punch down through matchmaking. Almost everyone else either doesn’t have the resources to engage sufficiently with DCs, or they are at the point where DCs are a worse short term investment than another GL or Exec.
  • TVF
    36609 posts Member
    Options
    I’m with the greater than 10% of the player base that either likes DCs or doesn’t mind having them in the game. Here are some reasons why:

1. Whales can now pay for temporary power. If I am a competitive F2P or light spender, this is a good thing because now I can better catch up in the long run on a power per $ spent basis.

2. So many players with better rosters than mine can’t handle DCs for whatever reason, and are now quitting. That’s ok with me because I get to move up just by sticking with the game. Thanks quitters. 😛

3. I like that DCs have made the same old battles more interesting while opening up new counters that work for just a limited time. CG has finally shaken up the squad arena and TW meta without invariably increasing power creep in the long run.

4. I like that they’ve made L9s reasonably accessible with Set 2’s Conquest. In fact, it may be too generous imo, but I’m not complaining.

So there you have it. A perspective from a top 50 guild player who doesn’t hate DCs. 😛

Concerning point one, yes and no. Clearly, any money/crystals/ssc etc. spent on DCs instead of gear, omicrons, characters or anything else not “temporary” might allow you to close the gap. However, there is a reason why we say whales are going to whale.

At the same time, datacron power isn’t temporary completely. Jmk stunning will be temporary and when that goes away those that “engaged” with datacrons are going to get more back than those that don’t. Now we haven’t seen the impact of this advantage in the dc system yet, but it’ll definitely give heavy dc guilds/players a significant advantage in the first two tws/week one of gac each month as those engaging with dcs at higher rates are going to be able to setup the new set faster.

Point 2 is kinda self defeating if you aren’t on the way out of the game. While it certainly alright to disagree with the majority and be happy with the short term advantages it provides you, I don’t think anyone should be okay with cg driving away players with their decisions.

Point 3 is part eye of the beholder/part continuation of point 1. The eye of the beholder part we can agree to disagree. Particular battles might be more enjoyable to some and not others. But once again dc power isn’t as temporary as both you(on the positive side) and almost all on the negative side believe. It’s still power creep with a built in depreciation mechanism to that power. As well as a built in changing of how that power is expressed.

Point 4 I mostly agree with. It is now more accessible but that begs the questions is it fun? Are players sufficiently rewarded for engaging with datacrons? For me it isn’t fun, and the roi is terrible. But that’s just me and mileage will obviously vary.

To address your Point 2 response, I will counter that a lot of the perceived negative aspects of DCs only apply to a rather small subset of the overall player population, mainly the hyper-competitive section at the top of K1, the top 50-200 TW guilds, and their TW opponents if they get to punch down through matchmaking. Almost everyone else either doesn’t have the resources to engage sufficiently with DCs, or they are at the point where DCs are a worse short term investment than another GL or Exec.

I'm at the bottom of K1 and facing someone with 5 L9s. It will be nice to take a round off.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

I'm at the bottom of K1 and facing someone with 5 L9s. It will be nice to take a round off.

Is he climbing with the added L9 investments? If so, I’d say the DC system is WAI.

Is he falling with the added L9 investments? If so, I’d say the GAC system is WAI because he’s either not good or not trying.
  • Riffinator
    2586 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    4qvan76a32bv.jpg

What is the start of the turn? When he first uses the ability or when he actually sets them off?
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Drathuk916
    632 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Delete
  • Options
    I frankly don’t understand why CG is still going on with Datacrons. All it’s succeeded in doing is anger virtually every active player. I don’t know a single person that has a positive outlook on datacrons. Just like the tournaments from long ago, toss this crap out.
  • Jakdnels
    787 posts Member
    Options
    What is it that makes this an exhibition phase for Datacrons? The GAC and TW matchmaking and rewards seem the same... An exhibition (in competition) is typically just for fun but not part of the actual rankings.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    Antario wrote: »
    3. I like that DCs have made the same old battles more interesting while opening up new counters that work for just a limited time.

I wonder what fun you are referring to going up against a Rey with 1 mililion dmg per ult or an JMK/Aayla perma stun combo, where your team hardly take a turn.

I don't think you understand why people hate datacrons. It's not because they don't know how to use them. They hate them because they know too well how datacrons can be used to manipulate game balance, which was built more free-to-play friendly on things like modding and game knowledge.

The specific fun I and some of my guildmates are having, is finding out the lowest econ JML-riposte squad to beat fast ult JMK L9s. We’ve got it down to no JKR and no JKL needed. I fully expect more such scenarios to come up in future months, which shake up historically settled counters.

You can counter Rey ult damage L9 with the mirror very easily. You can easily beat Aayla L9 with JML, can’t chain infinite stuns into turns if you can’t stun a taunting GL. If you didn’t build up the right DC to counter those specific DCs, so what? It’s only game, you’ll get the next one.

I know full well why certain endgame players hate DCs. Yes, they invalidate your past investments in modding and counters at the top end, on a variable basis. I’m telling you most players don’t give a ****, including some endgame players like me who are willing to deal with the uncertainties around DCs. Players like me will happily move on up if you feel that badly enough about DCs to quit. I’m just honest enough to tell it to your face.

So you counter datacrons vs datacrons, so what? You are still looking at game mechanisms to find counters. It's the same old-fashioned approach, only with the difference it gates the vast majority of players from participating in theorycrafting because only whales can affort a shipload of the new toys.

Btw. you can't counter Rey ult dmg L9 with mirror. Because Rey mirror is all about timing your ult after your opponents. But the L6 faction bonus with 15% TM manipulation will throw your timing off. Been there, done that. Can't recommend to try it, unless of course you got your own L9 datacron.

I honestly couldnt care less about you moving up or down. I, like many players see the fun in GAC diminishing a lot at the moment. It's for sure not because of the uncertainties. I won't be compete within my current skill ranking if I can't handle uncertainties. What worries me is the very fact GAC wins now are determined by wallets rather than by skill and game knowledge. Maybe things will get better in few months, when datacrons are all over the places. But right now, I don't see datacrons do any good to the game.
  • Options
    I frankly don’t understand why CG is still going on with Datacrons. All it’s succeeded in doing is anger virtually every active player. I don’t know a single person that has a positive outlook on datacrons. Just like the tournaments from long ago, toss this crap out.

Money.
  • ShawDou
    297 posts Member
    Options
    For me datacrons just increase RNG in battles exponentially. When you fight GL with datacron you never fought before it is like a tossing a dice. You can strategize all you want, but because there is like no guides (as noone will be able to create them in that small window) you go in blind. And it can end up in completely unexpected way.
  • Options

It’s not a small minority that dislike DCs. Most people that are in the area that could use them dislike them. I set all 6 GLs and SK on defense on 3v3 and basically it’s a 100 vs 101 final score. Super lame and zero fun. I don’t enjoy 3v3 to start with and with DCs it’s even less so. I hit 750 in K1 at one point but with these, I’m just tanking to have fun with lesser accounts and run off a string of wins in K2 down the road. Not everyone hates like the 10% but if everyone else stopped playing them you’d just end up playing with yourselves.
  • Options
    3. I like that DCs have made the same old battles more interesting while opening up new counters that work for just a limited time.

I wonder what fun you are referring to going up against a Rey with 1 mililion dmg per ult or an JMK/Aayla perma stun combo, where your team hardly take a turn.

I don't think you understand why people hate datacrons. It's not because they don't know how to use them. They hate them because they know too well how datacrons can be used to manipulate game balance, which was built more free-to-play friendly on things like modding and game knowledge.

The specific fun I and some of my guildmates are having, is finding out the lowest econ JML-riposte squad to beat fast ult JMK L9s. We’ve got it down to no JKR and no JKL needed. I fully expect more such scenarios to come up in future months, which shake up historically settled counters.

You can counter Rey ult damage L9 with the mirror very easily. You can easily beat Aayla L9 with JML, can’t chain infinite stuns into turns if you can’t stun a taunting GL. If you didn’t build up the right DC to counter those specific DCs, so what? It’s only game, you’ll get the next one.

I know full well why certain endgame players hate DCs. Yes, they invalidate your past investments in modding and counters at the top end, on a variable basis. I’m telling you most players don’t give a ****, including some endgame players like me who are willing to deal with the uncertainties around DCs. Players like me will happily move on up if you feel that badly enough about DCs to quit. I’m just honest enough to tell it to your face.

So you counter datacrons vs datacrons, so what? You are still looking at game mechanisms to find counters. It's the same old-fashioned approach, only with the difference it gates the vast majority of players from participating in theorycrafting because only whales can affort a shipload of the new toys.

Btw. you can't counter Rey ult dmg L9 with mirror. Because Rey mirror is all about timing your ult after your opponents. But the L6 faction bonus with 15% TM manipulation will throw your timing off. Been there, done that. Can't recommend to try it, unless of course you got your own L9 datacron.

I honestly couldnt care less about you moving up or down. I, like many players see the fun in GAC diminishing a lot at the moment. It's for sure not because of the uncertainties. I won't be compete within my current skill ranking if I can't handle uncertainties. What worries me is the very fact GAC wins now are determined by wallets rather than by skill and game knowledge. Maybe things will get better in few months, when datacrons are all over the places. But right now, I don't see datacrons do any good to the game.

Of course you can counter DCs with DCs. I haven’t spent a cent for DCs, but I have L9s for JMK, JML and CLS; an L7 for Rey (more to come on that note), and will get one more L9 for JKL. Boom, F2P DCs that will be competitive with the vast majority of rosters in K1.

I specifically rolled my Rey L7 to have the TM gain with fewer than 2 buffs to mirror counter Rey L9s. I can one-shot the ult damage L9 and almost one-shot the fast ult L9 in TW (left solo Rey), both with their own L6 TM gain. I’m sorry you suck with DCs, but I don’t. 😛

DCs are not dictated entirely by wallets. As I’ve shown above, you can farm up L9s without spending on them. You can only use one Rey DC after all; the only whaling going on is multiple rerolls of the stats between bonuses. If you focus on just the key L6 and L9 abilities, you will remain competitive; especially with the Set 2 economy changes.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options

Of course you can counter DCs with DCs. I haven’t spent a cent for DCs, but I have L9s for JMK, JML and CLS; an L7 for Rey (more to come on that note), and will get one more L9 for JKL. Boom, F2P DCs that will be competitive with the vast majority of rosters in K1.

I specifically rolled my Rey L7 to have the TM gain with fewer than 2 buffs to mirror counter Rey L9s. I can one-shot the ult damage L9 and almost one-shot the fast ult L9 in TW (left solo Rey), both with their own L6 TM gain. I’m sorry you suck with DCs, but I don’t. 😛

DCs are not dictated entirely by wallets. As I’ve shown above, you can farm up L9s without spending on them. You can only use one Rey DC after all; the only whaling going on is multiple rerolls of the stats between bonuses. If you focus on just the key L6 and L9 abilities, you will remain competitive; especially with the Set 2 economy changes.

Sure, you can farm more datacron materials now for free with conquest. I got the OP JML L9 as well. But so what? Don't you see this is just CG trying to get more players to engage with datacrons? The arms race remains, it just starts on a higher level. People might get 1-2 L9 datacron for free and think they are OP now. Then they notice in GAC that whales will always have more datacrons than you. In my current bracket in Kyber 1, everyone have more OP datacrons than me because almost all of them are paying customers of CG. Sure you can only slot one datacron at a time on your GL Rey. But there is (currently) no way to determine which one your opponent is going to use. And whales will have all variations. This is a slap into the face of people, who spend time scouting opponents.

I can only say you are just lucky with your Rey mirror. Don't you see dependent on the Rey team combo you face and use, the TM gain is not predictable? You might time your ult right once. That does not mean it works with all combos. Next time it might well be the enemy Rey with 75% dmg, which ult you before you can get into your own ult. Datacrons made a once near 100% safe counter into russian roulette.

Sure, I can remain competitive. But is that more fun than before? No. I don't want play russian roulette in GAC.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options

Sure, you can farm more datacron materials now for free with conquest. I got the OP JML L9 as well. But so what? Don't you see this is just CG trying to get more players to engage with datacrons? The arms race remains, it just starts on a higher level. People might get 1-2 L9 datacron for free and think they are OP now. Then they notice in GAC that whales will always have more datacrons than you. In my current bracket in Kyber 1, everyone have more OP datacrons than me because almost all of them are paying customers of CG. Sure you can only slot one datacron at a time on your GL Rey. But there is (currently) no way to determine which one your opponent is going to use. And whales will have all variations. This is a slap into the face of people, who spend time scouting opponents.

I can only say you are just lucky with your Rey mirror. Don't you see dependent on the Rey team combo you face and use, the TM gain is not predictable? You might time your ult right once. That does not mean it works with all combos. Next time it might well be the enemy Rey with 75% dmg, which ult you before you can get into your own ult. Datacrons made a once near 100% safe counter into russian roulette.

Sure, I can remain competitive. But is that more fun than before? No. I don't want play russian roulette in GAC.

Yes, it's not about whether I can deal with my own dcs and win. They are not fun at all. Period.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    I'm actually enjoying datacrons so far.

They give some meaning to the otherwise monotonous Conquest grind. Bye bye Grindquest, hello Cronquest!

And they take some of the drudgery out of fighting GAC opponents who have 2 more GLs and up to 1m more GP by actually giving me strategic options for a change.
  • Options
    From my experience, DCs have removed the number of and increased the difficulty of off-meta counters. So how do you have more options at a GL disadvantage than you did before?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    From my experience, DCs have removed the number of and increased the difficulty of off-meta counters. So how do you have more options at a GL disadvantage than you did before?
    I actually have the potential for defensive holds now which I haven't really had in a long time vs opponents who almost always have more GP and more GLs.

And I can make my offensive squads punch up more effectively which gives me more flexibility on offense.
  • Fieldgulls
    424 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    I actually have the potential for defensive holds now which I haven't really had in a long time vs opponents who almost always have more GP and more GLs.

And I can make my offensive squads punch up more effectively which gives me more flexibility on offense.

Yes, for now you do…more than likely you were underperforming and with datacrons you have leveled the playing field…until next round.
  • Options

I have yet to play against someone who has multiple Rey L9s. I’m sure they’re out there and eventually I’ll encounter them, but it won’t meaningfully ruin my game experience because they are so rare. I mean, if I truly cared to compete in the 4000s, it’ll be more common, but I don’t. 🤷‍♂️

It might be luck, it might just be understanding game mechanics. Either way, the chances I’ve had to encounter are pretty rare, so again, it doesn’t meaningfully ruin my game experience. If I lose, I shrug and move on. Maybe you should do the same. 🤷‍♂️

Then don’t remain competitive in GAC. Ezpz.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options

Can't compare 3600 SR level with 4000 SR. And especially can't compare it with 4200+ (top 50).
    I don't think a lot of ppl are facing walls of lvl9 DCs that are not only slammed on all GLs but also the big name teams like JKL, CLS and GAS.

An R9 JKL lead team with fast Shaak, HY and a 25% TM, +100% dmg on full HP/prot and bonus turns for JKL when he uses a special is aboslutely disgusting but most likely not something that the ordinary player will face down in the lower SR levels. For us non-/low or mid-spenders that try to be competetive and play at a high level, Datacrons have ruined GAC. It might actually be time to give up GAC and take the chill pill as there's simply no point in competing anymore.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Fieldgulls wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Yes, for now you do…more than likely you were underperforming and with datacrons you have leveled the playing field…until next round.
    Actually I am overperforming. I guess you didn't see the previous post where I said I was tired of routinely being up to 2 GLs and 1m GP down. I still win about 60% of my matches, I am just tired of having very limited strategic options.

I currently have a datacron advantage because I adapt more quickly than most of my opponents. I will have my fifth GL in a couple of weeks which will also help.
  • Options
    Verdict is still out on DCs, let’s see how it rotates set in the future. I do see it adds a new dimension to the game. Since I don’t spend any, I usually don’t complain about a new game mode since it is free for me to play anyway.

Most of material comes for free from conquest. I did spend some ally points or shard currencies and used more conquest energy refreshes than what is necessary to max conquest, so there is some resources diverted to DCs, but overall I considered my resources spent on DCs is very minimum and I still managed have 3 L9, 5 L6 and a lot of useful L3 to make it fun.

My number of DCs would not be competitive with whales, but it doesn’t really matter anyway in the current GAC MM format. I also invest 0 GAC omicron too:) as long as I can safely stay in Kyber 1 and collecting my 50% win rate K1 crystals, I consider DCs just as another game mode to have fun, and have some whales interested in prolong the longevity of this game.
  • Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

Can't compare 3600 SR level with 4000 SR. And especially can't compare it with 4200+ (top 50).
    I don't think a lot of ppl are facing walls of lvl9 DCs that are not only slammed on all GLs but also the big name teams like JKL, CLS and GAS.

An R9 JKL lead team with fast Shaak, HY and a 25% TM, +100% dmg on full HP/prot and bonus turns for JKL when he uses a special is aboslutely disgusting but most likely not something that the ordinary player will face down in the lower SR levels. For us non-/low or mid-spenders that try to be competetive and play at a high level, Datacrons have ruined GAC. It might actually be time to give up GAC and take the chill pill as there's simply no point in competing anymore.

Not sure about your SR rating now, I have long given up the new GAC mode, and settle down whatever SR range 50% win rate is going to put me in. I still invested 0 GAC omicron. I only invested some amount in DCs because it is also useful in arena and TW.
  • Options
    sloweagle wrote: »
    Verdict is still out on DCs, let’s see how it rotates set in the future. I do see it adds a new dimension to the game. Since I don’t spend any, I usually don’t complain about a new game mode since it is free for me to play anyway.

Most of material comes for free from conquest. I did spend some ally points or shard currencies and used more conquest energy refreshes than what is necessary to max conquest, so there is some resources diverted to DCs, but overall I considered my resources spent on DCs is very minimum and I still managed have 3 L9, 5 L6 and a lot of useful L3 to make it fun.

My number of DCs would not be competitive with whales, but it doesn’t really matter anyway in the current GAC MM format. I also invest 0 GAC omicron too:) as long as I can safely stay in Kyber 1 and collecting my 50% win rate K1 crystals, I consider DCs just as another game mode to have fun, and have some whales interested in prolong the longevity of this game.

This reflects my outlook on the game post-DCs. With the Set 2 economy, you can craft pretty much all the desirable L9s with proper planning, 3x daily refreshes in Conquest energy, and not absolute garbage luck with rerolls; plus a bevy of L3-L6 left over. I look at DCs and see just another game mechanic that rewards roster management over gameplay; I much prefer engaging with the former over the latter.
  • strafeSS
    201 posts Member
    Options
    Today I collect my Malgus shards, gear him up and retire from the game. DCs just aren’t fun. They make you research too much. I’ll regain some real life back or spend time in another game where the developers listen to the players.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    1) drastically scale down the stat boosts
    2) get rid of weighted odds of getting certain things
    3) get rid of all the relic requirements (so even a 2 star lvl 1 char could technically benefit from them) so even new players can engage with them in PvE (see point 5)
    4) drastically lower the reroll costs (you get to 80 mats required for a lvl 9 reroll really quickly and those things are expensive as hell)
    5) make them usable in all PvE modes (including normal/hard battles, GW, etc.) or at least in the main 3 challenging ones (GCs, TBs, Conquest)
    6) introduce a new Conquest difficulty "Brutal" that's scaled to and pretty much requires good DCs to play through (main challenge being to actually reach the end and NOT do the same battle x40 for feats)
    7) make them optional in GAC (see screenshot below)

oixegrvnvwm9.png
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • TVF
    36609 posts Member
    Options

oixegrvnvwm9.png
    StAugJames wrote: »
    Could we also have a no DC vs DC league while we’re at it?

Let's have all the leagues

1) 5v5 or 3v3
    2) DC or no DC
    3) DC or DC excluding GL DC
    4) GL or no GL
    5) 6 GL or 5 GL
    5) f2p or p2p
    6) ships or no ships

What else have people asked for that I missed? With all the different possible combinations I'm sure we could have hundreds of different leagues by now, let's make it happen CG!
  • Options

oixegrvnvwm9.png

1) 5v5 or 3v3
    2) DC or no DC
    4) GL or no GL
    5) 6 GL or 5 GL
    5) f2p or p2p
    6) ships or no ships

What else have people asked for that I missed? With all the different possible combinations I'm sure we could have hundreds of different leagues by now, let's make it happen CG!

GAS or no GAS, Malak or no Malak, Executor or not, Mods, and you forgot the "Only I get them" option
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • TVF
    36609 posts Member
    Options

oixegrvnvwm9.png

1) 5v5 or 3v3
    2) DC or no DC
    4) GL or no GL
    5) 6 GL or 5 GL
    5) f2p or p2p
    6) ships or no ships

GAS or no GAS, Malak or no Malak, Executor or not, Mods, and you forgot the "Only I get them" option

Guaranteed win every round when no one else shows up!
This discussion has been closed.