Guild Reward System MEGATHREAD - An Essay on Raiding and its Rewards

Replies

• Options
    I mean it looks like you get Guild Shipment credit based on how much you put in towards the type of the day. I mean there should be some amount given if you cross at least Tier 1 no matter what, like, I dunno, 50 points.
  • Options
    OrionPeace wrote: »
    Telaan wrote: »
    Guys, I think the devs know what they are doing. This is just like raiding in every other game ever. Not everyone in the raid group gets rewards every event. I for one am happy they added a gate to guild currency so not everyone has the gear and is bored after a few weeks. It's just like needing to farm 50 purple hairdryers. Just take turns with your fellow guildies taking the top spot, slow down, and enjoy the ride. You don't need to have everything immediately.

Name one MMO that forces people to compete against their own guild members for rank on and rewards the best loot based on a DPS meter. Just one. I've played nearly every AAA title since SWG and none of them had anything remotely resembling this.

A dps meter is easy to control. Have you never played a raid in which you need to slow dps? It is very easy to say let X player do the most damage because it is their turn for loot if every player is comparable.

Players have competed against each other for loot in every mmo ever. It's called DKP.

People worried about guildies sniping their loot are hilarious. Just don't play with Aholes and you'll be fine. :)

DKP isn't remotely the same thing. Not close. I've raided with the best of them under various guild regulated loot distribution methods and none of them are like this. DKP at best compares to an auction on who is willing to spend the most DKP which is earned through participation.

And the DPS meters simply exist to determine whether or not someone is performing to expected standards. This also applies to tanks when determining damage received and for healers with HPS. I've never seen those meters play a factor in determining who gets loot. That would be the most asinine loot management by a guild ever.

So you're telling me it is impossible to use a loot distribution system to spread the crates out and then manage damage done to insure the designated people get said gear for each raid? This is an easy system to game.

It sounds like you have less of a problem with damage done as a metric for handling loot and more of a problem not getting all the loot. This is the millennial participation ribbon problem. It's a gate. There are other item gates in the game. There will be more down the road to make money. Adapt or move along. :)

If that's what you got from what I said then you must suffer from the same syndrome that you labeled me with in that tired old accusation, by suffering from an inability to comprehend what you're reading and coherently responding with on on topic reply. If you're done with cute insults I can be too.

The conversation was one where I simply said that no other MMO has a loot distribution system that pits members of the same guild against themselves. I asked you to find one that did. You failed to do so. You then tried telling me DKP did, maybe hoping I'd never been a member of a guild that utilized such a system in order to play on ignorance.You were wrong. End of story.

Plenty of other MOBAs have managed to implement guilds and reward systems that accomplish both the incentive to spend as well as cooperative gameplay within guilds. I'm not sure how you apparently came to the conclusion that both this game can't accomplish the same or that I have some aversion to spending.

You asked for a game in which guild members compete for items. I presented DKP. A system in which you bid against other guild mates to both obtain loot, and also to diminish their stockpile of DKP. If you disagree that qualifies then that's fine, but that is just your opinion. You are allowed your opinion, I am allowed mine.

If you took what I said as an insult, well I don't know what to say about that one besides wow. :) Not only did I not insult you, but I never mentioned spending, or your spending habits. Never crossed my mind to use DKP as some nefarious trick on you. Also MOBAs? You are so far off the rails with this I think I'm going to stop responding now. Enjoy your SWGOH experience!

But DKP isn't a system of loot distribution mandated or implemented by "THE GAME". DKP is a system selected by the guild to use as a fair means of distribution where participation and longevity are rewarded.

You haven't provided a valid response. DKP is a dodge and bad one at that.

I don't receive DKP points based on my damage during the raid. I get the same as everyone who showed up and actively participated. Everyone is rewarded for the raid equally by that system. The game on the other hand, drops a limited number of random loot that is distributed by that system.

Are you serious? I said that it is possible to control damage done. A guild if they want can control who gets the top prizes every two days. I never said determining the drops off damage done was a good function or it couldn't be better. I never said this game should use DKP. I said the DEVS created an intentional item gate and I'm fine not having everyone loaded with gear right out the gate. Are you mad because you have to do it outside the normal game client? Guilds already function outside the normal game client in websites, line, etc.. If your guild is a serious guild they will figure out loot distribution.
  • Options
    @Harmonica

On that we can agree on. I feel guilds should be competing against each other, not with members within their own guild.

I also feel that all members should receive the same major rewards from guilds, which at this point looks like the gear pieces. If they want to create some intra-guild rivalry with rankings, that's fine, but make the extra rewards guild coins or credits, not something as major as gear, or God forbid, Han shards....can you imagine in your guild if only the top 3 got Han shards?

Still, the way they have it set up as tiered rewards, I think there is zero chance they revert to an egalitarian system at this point. Hence my suggestion as a reasonable compromise.
  • Options
    Harmonica wrote: »
    A DKP system would be better than what has been implemented, honestly. So the first place guild member gets 1,000 DKP (or whatever they want to call it), the second gets 900, all the way down to 20-50 which get like 500.

Then you set the price of the prize boxes, so like 1,000 for the red box, 750 for the yellow box, etc...

This would allow top contributors to get the bigger prizes early, but even the lower members can eventually earn their way up to the top prize.

The way it is set up now, the top members are the only ones that can ever access the best rewards, while the lower members are completely locked out.

This is effectively the same situation we currently have. Also DKP as a model of rewarding loot has been outdated for nearly 10 years in most games.

If you mean how the current raid situation is, then you are wrong.

Currently in the heroic raid, only the top 3 contributors can obtain a red box.

Let's assume in your guild the rankings of your members don't change. So the top 3 guys/gals are always top 3, week in and week out. The last guy is always last.

In the current model, assuming player rankings never change, the top 3 guys will be the only ones to ever get a red box as a reward. The other 47 guild members will never receive one.

In the model I propose, everyone will eventually be able to obtain a red box. The top guys will get it much more quickly than the last guy, but the last guy can eventually obtain one if he saves his points every week.

Now, I know players keeping their ranks week in and week out is not feasible. I was only using that to illustrate as an example. Rankings will change. However, not as much as you think they will, unless guild leader/officers make it so. The top players will always be at the top, until they choose not to spend to remain at the top.

And just because something is old doesn't mean it's obsolete :) Democracy is centuries old but probably still the best form of governance, don't you think?

DKP is still being used to this day in MMOs, just in different iterations. It's not like we are killing dragons anymore. But the base concept remains intact, which is to reward players with points which can then be used like cash for loot. You either no longer play MMOs or are being deliberately obtuse.

Well said.
  • Sticare_Courts_0073
    1916 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    EricsonX wrote: »
    I mean it looks like you get Guild Shipment credit based on how much you put in towards the type of the day. I mean there should be some amount given if you cross at least Tier 1 no matter what, like, I dunno, 50 points.

Right now there's a guy in my Guild who will be awarded 110 points for contributing a whopping 36 energy to LS missions. Everyone who contributed at least 1 unit of anything will be awarded at the next payout. I don't know what you're seeing but this is all indicated quite clearly in the "GUILD ACTIVITIES" tab after clicking on "ACTIVITIES" in the Cantina. @EricsonX
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options
    Keep this first page relevant!
  • Options
    Also, a shout-out to Afterlife, Fires of Heaven, and all the other old-school EQers out there.

1999 Tunare server reporting in played that game waaaay too long. B)

• Options
    In before drama thread titled "officer booted me when I was number 1 when raid boss had sliver of health left"
  • Options
    Well said
  • Options
    Well said. How dare they encourage screwing over your friends, just so you can get the good stuff.
  • Options
    If ever a post by someone other then EA Jesse needed stickied, this is it.
  • Options
    Very good thoughts, from what I have seen Devs are reading what we write and trying to make improvements(even though people grumble, the Devs do take action in this game). Hopefully this gets in front of them.

They have an opportunity to really make a cool freemium mechanic, and things take time to get right.
  • Options
    I thought guilds was suppose to be about teamwork, not to compete against each other to see who spends the most money. Its suppose to be about teamwork. Honestly I believe the rewards of a raid and daily challenges should be spreaded evenly throught the clan. Assuming everyone does there fair share of work.

Basically this "guild" thing is a money grab.
    It only rewards those who spend more crystals on refreshes
  • Saetet
    212 posts Member
    Options
    I agree, the feeling of competition between guild mates is stupid.
    And then there were pants...
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    They had the chance. Instead they tossed out and awards system that they themselves would likely never participate in.

This update is far worse than the last one. The last one made at least certain aspects of the game better and was a step in the right direction. This one was a clear indication that this is a quick cash grab with no intention of being a long term game.

Lies compunded by ineptitude.

Sad, really.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    +1
  • Naugrin
    686 posts Member
    Options
    I have (and still do) raid in the original eq...I think that makes me the elder statesman lol.

The only people that should be geared up with favoritism and bias are tanks lol. Since that doesn't apply here, listen to the original poster.

• Options
    +1 nice post.

Waiting for the big response for CG EA. Competitions within a guild is by far one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. Its always and should always be guild vs guild..
    Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...
  • Options
    +1 brother. Good job with this.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    The design team as usual has their big dumb heads up thier arseholes
  • Options
    I concur @Naecabon , well said
  • Options
    +1 Completely destroying what should be the best part of this game. All Guild Members should get same rewards for Raids.
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Too wordy, but still on the money.

If this isn't fixed I don't even see the game surviving to the Rebels movie release.

Having rewards proportional to input would only work if it was not competitive, and each member has equal opportunity to participate without being disadvantaged because others achieve more.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Options
    +9000 Sir.
    Darth Saltious - Hoth Ski Patrol
  • Options
    +1
    great post, i've never complained about updates, but this one really messed up
  • Heisen
    364 posts Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to worry a little that the devs have not yet said anything to acknowledge this MAJOR concern the players have right now. I was hoping this raid reward system was just a result of their misguided approach to promote "friendly competition."

However, when they don't respond, it's likely for reasons that the OP stated - to promote spending as much as possible while spitting on the guild concept. They will not come out and flat out say things like this, of course. Similar to how they've never addressed concerns regarding the nerfed credit event system. Only this is infinitely worse and might just break the game for many here.
  • Options
    Surely a response will be posted with corrections by noon PST tomorrow. Adjustment of the raid rewards is unavoidable.
    Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...
  • Options
    I honestly have no idea how they could have implemented a system that is so greedy, imbalanced, mean-spirited, and poorly-designed - even by EA's standards.

Who came up with this raid reward model?

Who then gave it the tick of approval and actually implemented it?

This just beggars belief.
  • Chico
    120 posts Member
    Options
    They should just make it RNG loot. Everyone gets a chest but the contents are randomly generated. Fair for all.
  • Options
    As long as this game doesn't follow tyrant and how that games future rolled out we should be just fine for raids and as so many have previously said thanks for putting this out there