Game of Thrones Spoiler Discussion

Replies

• Yesac
    362 posts Member
    Options
    One character I'm curious about is Gendry. Sure he's a blacksmith, but they made a point of reminding us he's Robert's son (and I think the only non Targaryan heir to the Iron Throne).

I wonder if Jon or Dany really would sit on the Iron Throne when all is said and done. Jon only ever wanted to be a soldier, not a king.

Dany is different...she's grown bigger than any throne I think. Certainly bigger than the Iron Throne.

Hey guys, new to this discussion. This is my thought as well. Gender is just too handsome to not be important later on. My guess is that he either marries Dany, or takes over after she dies. We saw the Hobbit arrow pierce Drogon in his shoulder, what I think is foreshadowing of a dragon death, perhaps with Dany on it.
  • UrbanSpacemanKAL
    2450 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If being attractive were a guarantee of future storylines, Ygritte should still be around.

swooning.gif
    e63b1f0d60f611f419b5e01b3a862c1e.gif
    tumblr_mmqnf2CIFU1qiu15uo3_250.gif

• Options
    My guess is that he either marries Dany, or takes over after she dies.

I hadn't thought of marriage, although it would probably smooth over the foreign queen thing.

I'm thinking if Dany & Jon survive the war against the dead, they're sure to suffer some losses. They might not want to rule after that. Unless something changes, that only leaves Gendry.
  • Options
    Wow. Back to back amazing episodes. Directors really stepped it up
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

I couldn't disagree more.

(Que everyone else in this thread passionately questioning my unpopular yet very defendable opinion. I am ready)
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »

(Que everyone else in this thread passionately questioning my unpopular yet very defendable opinion. I am ready)

giphy.gif

Kidding. You've already made too many intelligent points for me to arbitrarily dismiss your opinion. You were saying something about unpopular opinions?
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Kidding. You've already made too many intelligent points for me to arbitrarily dismiss your opinion. You were saying something about unpopular opinions?

This new season has completely thrown away any attempt to maintain the high standards previous seasons set for dialogue, characters, plot, or depth. I understand that since the show is ending soon, the writers and producers feel obligated to wrap things up with some "epic conclusion", but they're sacrificing just about everything that made the show great for me. Everything is extremely predictable, the characters have waaay too much plot armor (which destroys any tension the overblown action scenes might have had), the dialogue is cringy and inconsistent, the story has huge plot and time holes, the character conflicts feel completely artificial and forced, and the plot relies on outdated, ineffective tropes.

I dont have the patience or time to list every issue i have with this season so far, but if you want any specifics, let me know.

Also, i wont spoil it since it technically hasnt aired yet, but episode 6 is by far the worst episode of the show so far. Many will likely love it since "big important things happen", but i think its the worst offender of the issues i listed above.

PS: like star wars, i wouldnt criticize GOT so much if i didnt love it the way i do. So nobody call me a troll just looking for attention
  • Options
    You made too many points that I agree with on some level, or that I cannot dispute because views on art can't be wrong, just different. This is a terrible fight. B)
  • Options
    Well, that was really sad. And I'm not sure an army of the dead needed that particular advantage.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    I had no idea ravens flew so fast. Or maybe Westeros is a lot smaller than I thought.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    I had no idea ravens flew so fast. Or maybe Westeros is a lot smaller than I thought.

Didn't the raven have all night to travel? Since presumably they spent the night over the wall.
  • Options
    I think that's true. It was dark when they were surrounded and it seemed to be dawn when they Hound was hitting the walkers with rocks.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options

Didn't the raven have all night to travel? Since presumably they spent the night over the wall.
    Yep, but in that time:
    • Barathian Jr ran back the wall
    • the raven flew to Danyris
    • she flew back, dragon class.
    So that was my first major suspension of disbelief. The second was Jon not being drowned, being saved out of nowhere by his uncle, and making it back to the wall. A lot of convenient things happened in the last 15 minutes.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

Yep, but in that time:
    So that was my first major suspension of disbelief. The second was Jon not being drowned, being saved out of nowhere by his uncle, and making it back to the wall. A lot of convenient things happened in the last 15 minutes.

Honestly, after davos teleported all over the place in the previous episode, i knew immediately once the squad got trapped that danaerys would be the one to save them. At that point, logic is out the window and anything can happen as long as it moves the plot forward.
  • Options

Yep, but in that time:

The time lapses in this season have gotten very bad for sure. Arya was traveling Westeros for 4 seasons and then Davos can do it in like 10 mins lol
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options

Yep, but in that time:

Honestly, after davos teleported all over the place in the previous episode, i knew immediately once the squad got trapped that danaerys would be the one to save them. At that point, logic is out the window and anything can happen as long as it moves the plot forward.

Yeah, can't argue with you there :)
  • Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUMGGy8fsHg

This guy pretty much admits they're speeding things up because they just don't have enough time/episodes.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUMGGy8fsHg

This guy pretty much admits they're speeding things up because they just don't have enough time/episodes.

Time constraints aren't an excuse for lazy writing. Real, original art comes from having to compromise because something is preventing you from making exactly want you want to make. Art from adversity. Thats partly why the first star wars was so good. Nothing was going right so lucas and the art department had to be creative in how they solved problems.
  • Options
    Time constraints aren't an excuse for lazy writing. Real, original art comes from having to compromise because something is preventing you from making exactly want you want to make. Art from adversity. Thats partly why the first star wars was so good. Nothing was going right so lucas and the art department had to be creative in how they solved problems.

Agreed. I kinda wonder if they wanted more episodes, and we're told no for whatever reason. That guy seemed almost apologetic to me.
  • Options

Agreed. I kinda wonder if they wanted more episodes, and we're told no for whatever reason. That guy seemed almost apologetic to me.

I was told that they had serious budget cuts. Which is the reason for such a short season
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I assumed that they have the same enormous budget as previous seasons, but decided to have fewer episodes so each episode could have a bigger budget and more ~epic~ sequences to please the masses.

Any issues that arise due to time constraints are self imposed and the producers should not be pitied or their mistakes excused. If something in your script doesn't make sense, f***ing change the script.
  • Options
    Any issues that arise due to time constraints are self imposed and the producers should not be pitied or their mistakes excused.

We don't really know that though. I doubt HBO just said here's a big bag of money (if they did I have show ideas), they're going to want input.

I saw a thing once on the woman who keeps track of all the scenes shot in all the countries GOT is shot. Her job is literally insane. Maybe I can find it somewhere. Anyways, there's obstacles in a show this big.

• Options
    Any issues that arise due to time constraints are self imposed and the producers should not be pitied or their mistakes excused.

We don't really know that though. I doubt HBO just said here's a big bag of money (if they did I have show ideas), they're going to want input.

I saw a thing once on the woman who keeps track of all the scenes shot in all the countries GOT is shot. Her job is literally insane. Maybe I can find it somewhere. Anyways, there's obstacles in a show this big.

I saw that. I'm sure she wishes she had GoT teleportation abilities.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options

I was told that they had serious budget cuts. Which is the reason for such a short season

From what I read, the budget is the same, but due to the scale and scope, it's taking the same amount of time/money for them to shoot the 7 episodes this season as it has for them to shoot the 10 episodes in previous seasons.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I assumed that they have the same enormous budget as previous seasons, but decided to have fewer episodes so each episode could have a bigger budget and more ~epic~ sequences to please the masses.

Any issues that arise due to time constraints are self imposed and the producers should not be pitied or their mistakes excused. If something in your script doesn't make sense, f***ing change the script.

image.jpg?width=568&height=827
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Predictions for tonight:

Quality of story and dialogue will be (slightly) better than previous episode since white walkers won't play a huge role.

Tons of fan service (characters reuniting/meeting for first time, possible cleganebowl)

Sam and Brienne will both be at kings landing

Jon, Dany, and Beric will definitely survive. Its possible that tyrion will be killed, but its unlikely. Cersei will definitely survive because the next season needs a villain who's an actual character.

Arya/Sansa conflict will likely get worse before it gets better, but it will be resolved and they will end on good terms and both turn on littlefinger. However its possible it will end with a cliffhanger (make us think arya kills sansa) then reveal next season that arya knew about littlefinger's plan the whole time.

Episode will end with the Night King reaching the Wall and the final shot is of a crack spreading through.
  • UrbanSpacemanKAL
    2450 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My prediction? Dany will continue to be pretty cool.

giphy.gif
  • Options
    Wow
  • Options
    Technically, there was a crack in the wall. Also...Noooo!

star-wars-luke-leia-kiss.gif

But worse. Kinda speechless here...

giphy.gif