AoE must be put in line for the sake of balance.

Prev13
So yeah, AoE is the new meta.
It's also very imbalanced.
Let's go by the numbers.

Let's start from a baseline that a basic attack deals a theoretical 100% damage + effects, before taking into account other skills and buffs.
An AoE attack deals 500% damage + 5x effects.

Of course there are variations. After you factor in skills and buffs etc. some will be more powerful than others.

That comparison alone shows that AoE leads on both fronts unless something is done about it.

A single target attack has the purpose of (tum-dum-duum) focus firing.
An area attack has the advantage of touching the whole enemy team. It should focus on debuffs and crowd control, moreso than damage.

That's not to say it shouldn't do damage. But it shouldn't be the killfest we see currently.

IMO that 500% damage - 100% per character - should be reduced to sane levels.
I would distribute damage as:
  • 80% for the main target under the reticule
  • 40% for the two toons adjacent to it
  • 20% for the others.
That amounts to 200% damage distributed on all toons, and that's a lot.
Of course AoE loses some effectiveness when the enemy team starts losing characters, but that's supposed to happen in a balanced gameplay.

Now, there should be some chars which don't do a lot of debuffs or any at all, and it would be OK for those to still do some more damage with AoE, but damage should still fall off for the chars further away from the AoE epicenter.

Some toons already do a smallish damage and shouldn't be further nerfed. But the crazy OP we see currently should be more manageable.

Replies

• Options
    There is nothing wrong with AoE, it hasn't been buffed, they just buffed Anikin and added OP palpatine. Trying to say nerf every guys AoE is just a horrible idea
  • RU486
    1686 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hmmmm

ED3F559F-15EE-4417-A332-648411D8A769.jpg

• Options
    I'm fine with a heavy AOE counter team actually
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Since you don't know how damage works, it is not 5x basic for an AoE, just change the title to nerf Lando
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Since you don't know how damage works, it is not 5x basic for an AoE, just change the title to nerf Lando

Ooohwee. Actually I was thinking his tldr should be - I want my Rey to be relevant again.
  • Options
    the #1 in my shard is whaling it up pretty hard, he has Wiggs, Lando, Sun Fac, and St Han all with speed, everyone below him is slumming it up, there is one other Wiggs player but he doesn't have the speed an I can take him.

Got lucky and picked up 7* Sun Fac, am working on Dooku 7*, 5s who is almost to 6*, Aayla and Ima Gun Di, is going to take me a little while, but AoE can suck it.

Can't wait to see my entire team rush Lando or Wedge.
  • Options
    Seeing as how AoE has not change since the beginning of the game and we're just seeing new characters with AoE and other abilities to help the AoEers last longer in a fight (a full team of Counter Attackers would still tear through an AoE team as long as they can avoid being stunned), I don't think it needs to be changed.
  • Options
    Valace2 wrote: »
    the #1 in my shard is whaling it up pretty hard, he has Wiggs, Lando, Sun Fac, and St Han all with speed, everyone below him is slumming it up, there is one other Wiggs player but he doesn't have the speed an I can take him.

Got lucky and picked up 7* Sun Fac, am working on Dooku 7*, 5s who is almost to 6*, Aayla and Ima Gun Di, is going to take me a little while, but AoE can suck it.

There is no "luck" with getting pay to win characters. You just keep paying.

Stun Sun Fac with Raid Han, taunt with ST Han, match is over seconds later.

Counter teams are terrible.
  • Options

Lando? Nerf wiggs!
  • Options

Yes but not everyone has Raid Han...
  • Options

I won't lie I have spent on some packs, but I did manage to hit Sun Fac several times on full characters, I would say that is pretty lucky.

I can't however spend 3k crystals a pop on speed mods like the 1st in my shard.

• Options

1 million this. AoE calculations are all wrong. Close thread.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    johnne wrote: »

Lando? Nerf wiggs!

but the best move wiggs has to offer isnt even AoE...
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You guys really are very childish. The guy is raising legit points. If jawa critting for 6k on an aoe is normal, I don't think it's unreasonable for other toons to do this too. We shouldn't be seeing 17k crits on every character That's almost 100k damage in one move. Give rey 100k crits on her special and see how quick people go mad.
  • Options
    You guys really are very childish. The guy is raising legit points. If jawa critting for 6k on an aoe is normal, I don't think it's unreasonable for other toons to do this too. We shouldn't be seeing 17k crits on every character That's almost 100k damage in one move. Give rey 100k crits on her special and see how quick people go mad.

Finally someone who understands.
  • Options

It is spread around though, so the damage isn't so bad. A Rey attack can easily do much more single target damage than an AOE, and isn't vulnerable to things like 10 counters. The main problem with single damage is that the AI doesn't focus on one person at a time, so AOE is much simpler on defense
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

Except it is based on incorrect information. AoE damage is not 5x basic attack damage.
    There are many AoE that are very weak compared to the characters basic attack.
    Lando is about the only one that AoE damage can exceed 5x Basic, so if that is the complaint then change the thread to a nerf Lando thread, don't hide behind false information.
  • Options
    my lando without omega can hit for 10k crit on basic, seen as high as 12k
  • Options
    How do u get lucky and pick up a 7 star Fac?
  • Options
    To say they're not OP is crazy. I'm farming Wiggs right now and should have them ready within the next week, so I'm not calling for a nerf. But they hit crazy hard

I tried to take #1 from a Wiggs squad at payout today. Here's what happened:

My raid Han's first shot was resisted, which seems to happen way more often than 15% of the time
    His 220 speed Han taunted.
    His Biggs call your buddy killed Rey.
    AOE Lando
    AOE Wedge
    2 toons dead, 2 in the red, and EP with a little less than full health.

This was less than 20 seconds in and I had to sit there for another 4 and a half minutes to lock myself into second place,lol. Fastest thing I've ever seen.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    How do u get lucky and pick up a 7 star Fac?

Not sure if call it lucky, but I was going for Rex, Fac was dropping like crazy. Converted a bunch of Sunfac shards to shard shop currency.
  • Options
    You have to collect all the heroes!
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Benr3600
    1098 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You mean it is anti-rational for my Lando aoe to be doing about 25% more peak damage than any basic attack does to a single target?
  • Options
    this is definitely a disguised nerf lando thread. jawa does significantly less because of the crazy debuffs it can toss out, with a nebit squad 3 per toon! that's more deadly than 10-15k per toon! it's fairly balanced as is, including lando. wiggs, ani, and EP don't necessarily need a nerf, but they are quite strong and I'm still not sure how my droids can overcome them, but it's certainly not with a AOE blanket nerf
  • Options
    Ok, just Nerf Lando, Anakin, IG88. any else?
  • Options
    ig88 and lando don't have 50k hitpoints like anakin and EP, there's a huge difference.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Revert the counter-attack nerfs, let counters bypass taunts again. Also make tenacity relevant. And defensive leader abilities and active skills.

Defensive play in this game is awful, the numbers are outright eclipsed by offense abilities. Along the lines of defense currently giving 2-5% damage reduction in the same place offense gives 20-50% more damage.
  • Options
    If they nerf AOE I might as well quite as that's more of a nerf to droids than anything.
  • Options

It is spread around though, so the damage isn't so bad. A Rey attack can easily do much more single target damage than an AOE, and isn't vulnerable to things like 10 counters. The main problem with single damage is that the AI doesn't focus on one person at a time, so AOE is much simpler on defense

The problem is Rey can only do 20k+ damage with one move (2 if you're lucky with leverage) to one toon, where Lando can do 20k to each toon every round.

I've said it before, but Lando is basically 5 reys put into one toon, and he has about 2x the h/p. That's not balanced. If the highest single target dps in the game can't even compete with an AOE user, then there's no reason for any other dps toon to exist unless you want to run them with Lando.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind