Is there ANY fun for F2P left in this game?

Replies

• Options
    There's F2P games. They just don't get updated constantly with new events/characters because their budget is so low the company is probably running one part time dev for the whole game.

And they have pop-up ads. Lots of pop-up ads :)
  • Baldwookiee
    73 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There's threes areas F2P can't compete w P2P other than leveling slower. Raids, mid arena and tournament. 200 dollar Rex is the P2P reward and rules raids. If you got a few in your guild forget ever getting 1-3 raid prizes unless it's due to timing. This tournament was obvious.

Arena, since people are grouped based on when they started, early on its easy to do well if you play it right, after a while the P2P will separate from the pack but since the P2P toons aren't specifically tweeted for arena, the cap balances out as more people get fully geared synergy teams.

This is COMPLETELY erroneus, and your situation is due to your choices in game you made.
    I am a 100% f2p in a decemeber shard. I have always sat in the top 100. When raids came out, I was in a t4-5 guild for several months while everyone around me was in t7s.

My arena team was/is always 2-6k lower in points than anyone around me. I still easily held in the top 100 with g8 teams however I couldn't move up and hold ranks. Once I got into a good guilds doing t7s, I was able to finally get g9+ and I EASILY moved up the ladder, I can get top 20 with mid range mods I farmed, and undergeared toons compared to my shard. Its all about knowing matchups and having farmed the correct meta toons. I was always late to the party with the poggle/poe, dooku, old ben, jedi speed, droid, wiggs, EP metas, but guess what, I still was competitive with all but the mightiest of whales.

Being f2p in this game and competing is easy, you just can't waste your time farming bad heros or use bad teams and expect good results. I always finish GW, I can solo p1 in raids, and get top 15 rewards often, and I can all but guarantee you, my guild is stronger than yours, and I'm a guppie in it.

I have top 20 accounts in a december shard,a may shard, and a top 10 in September shard that has 8 whales in the top 10, all of whom have 4-7 levels up on me.

F2P can 100% compete in this game.
    There is no single hero that is so OP that you NEED to run them.

Absolutely the only thing you will be behind on vs anyone, no matter how much the spend is modded speeds. But f2p can still get there eventually, you just gotta make the choice to not farm new cantina heros.
    I can get EP/jka over 200 and poe at 215, there is only 5 taunts on my whole december shard faster.

I don't see any arguement that a ftp cant compete, other than jaded opinions.

• Options
    rsbedl.jpg

Paid nothing, invested only a few minutes each day.
    And those rewards are junk.

By the way I got the same. Spent 250 Krystal's on refresh
  • Options
    I still have fun as F2P. Mainly, I think because I'm just a star wars fan and enjoy playing as the characters, but really, Galactic War keeps me interested and just doing my own squad stuff. I don't concern myself with trying to be the best.
  • Options
    rsbedl.jpg

Sorry to hear that. And yes they are completely useless to me. But this isn't my first goat launching. I knew the rewards would be lousy, even before they showed them. Typical.
  • Options
    rsbedl.jpg

Sorry to hear that. And yes they are completely useless to me. But this isn't my first goat launching. I knew the rewards would be lousy, even before they showed them. Typical.

I got almost the same. To me are valuable, for no investment at all, besides playing the game with toons I already had.
    Cheers
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    First off, I will state that I am not completely F2P - I have spent about $35 since I started on a late November shard. So that would make me a very tiny "guppy" I guess.

That said, the gap between F2P and P2P is widening - very quickly.

It was fairly close up until mods hit. Then, between mods and characters that have remained behind a paywall (Sun Fac and Rex especially) - the gap in arena started to be more prominent.

As I said, late November shard. Pre-mods, I could take first in arena with a single refresh. Now I am lucky to snag top 10 - sometimes not even top 20. As time goes by, that advantage compounds. As the whales continue their strangle hold on the top 10 arena slots, their crystal advantage only will grow.

If the introduction of this "tournament" is any indication, EA/CG only intend on making that gap even wider.

While I understand that paying large sums of money should buy you an advantage, up until mods, that advantage was getting things more quickly and the advantages were more temporary - and could be overcome by f2p players who focused resources intelligently, played consistently, etc. That is no longer the case - and it's getting worse (for f2p) - better for p2p. The advantages are now more permanent and, as such, over time, will make the gap ever wider.

If the pendulum toward p2p doesn't reverse a bit (or at least slow down), many f2p will likely move on. Some are already voicing these concerns.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Mods ruined all the time effort and money we spent on gears.
    Thanks bro
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    With thousands of ppl per shard, only the top 999 won't be in 1,000th place or worse. U ppl act like u all deserve to be top 10. Only 10 ppl per shard can have that luxury at any given time. What makes u so special ? Where does this sense of entitlement come from ?

It is a game after all...a game. If it frustrates u, it ceases to be enjoyable, thereby defeating the purpose of a game. Just remember...in any game, if there's a winner, there must b a loser. Being a good sport speaks to your strength of character. Whining, sniveling and complaining do the opposite.
  • Options
    This game is probably the most friendly F2P game out there. You just have to realize that you aren't going to be able to compete with someone right off the bat who is spending hard.
  • Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    With thousands of ppl per shard, only the top 999 won't be in 1,000th place or worse. U ppl act like u all deserve to be top 10. Only 10 ppl per shard can have that luxury at any given time. What makes u so special ? Where does this sense of entitlement come from ?

It is a game after all...a game. If it frustrates u, it ceases to be enjoyable, thereby defeating the purpose of a game. Just remember...in any game, if there's a winner, there must b a loser. Being a good sport speaks to your strength of character. Whining, sniveling and complaining do the opposite.

We got ourselves a maths major over here!
    only the top 999 won't be in 1,000th place or worse. U ppl act like u all deserve to be top 10. Only 10 ppl per shard can have that luxury at any given time.

I really don't see people (f2p) complaining or having a sense of entitlement. I actually see that (most) F2P players are still enjoying the game.
  • Options
    If they continue to release toons (especially through jokes like these tournaments), that you absolutely need in order to be competitive and basically get rid of the old ones like they are doing now, it will get old quick!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    First off, I will state that I am not completely F2P - I have spent about $35 since I started on a late November shard. So that would make me a very tiny "guppy" I guess.

That said, the gap between F2P and P2P is widening - very quickly.

It was fairly close up until mods hit. Then, between mods and characters that have remained behind a paywall (Sun Fac and Rex especially) - the gap in arena started to be more prominent.

As I said, late November shard. Pre-mods, I could take first in arena with a single refresh. Now I am lucky to snag top 10 - sometimes not even top 20. As time goes by, that advantage compounds. As the whales continue their strangle hold on the top 10 arena slots, their crystal advantage only will grow.

If the introduction of this "tournament" is any indication, EA/CG only intend on making that gap even wider.

While I understand that paying large sums of money should buy you an advantage, up until mods, that advantage was getting things more quickly and the advantages were more temporary - and could be overcome by f2p players who focused resources intelligently, played consistently, etc. That is no longer the case - and it's getting worse (for f2p) - better for p2p. The advantages are now more permanent and, as such, over time, will make the gap ever wider.

If the pendulum toward p2p doesn't reverse a bit (or at least slow down), many f2p will likely move on. Some are already voicing these concerns.

I tend to disagree about it still getting worse for f2p. p2p characters are meh, easy to deal with if they aren't accompanied by super mods. (Obviously both go hand in hand, p2p + super mods) I assume, and i could be wrong ofcourse, that when my characters also have super mods, those p2p teams aren't that scary anymore. I'm slowly gaining ground on the guys with super mods. Slowly my mods are improving while they have little room left for improvement.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    pargame wrote: »
    lvl:80 Arena Power:38k Arena Rank: top 100

I am start thinking that the answer is NO. this game slowly converts into P2P game.
    To have a toon that matters at all it should be at least 6* g8

Let's have a quick preview of shard sources:
    Cantina - I think it is no longer F2P - you got mods to farm, drop rate is low.
    Cantina Shop - I think it has never been for F2P - max I get 1 purchase per day - 5 shards
    Arena Shipments - still F2P - I can get 10 shards per day
    GW - still F2P if there is anything to farm.

I am ok that P2P should have an advantage, so I will start thinking that my highest rank in Arena will be 100 or 200, 500.. but main problem is that if I fall in Arena rank crystals and Arena tokens that I will get will not be enough to have any progress so I will stop playing. And I think that other F2P will also stop playing when they reach such state...

I think that devs should take a little care about F2P - I think they should increase rewards in Arena for lower tiers and add new toons in GW(no need to be top toons but valuable)

there's your problem right there. your too competitive. you think the only time a toon counts is if they are 6* g8. i guess i should quit playing then because i only have a few toons that even come close or meet that requirement. i'll get there when i get there.

i'm not top dog either but you know what?? so what? i'm having fun farming the characters i enjoy at my own pace. and i'm f2p.

• Jiub91
    26 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    F2P is great if u are patient... Been playing since December and have held top 5 pretty much since February. I have been a guild leader since guilds came out and that adds a lot of fun (sometimes haha). lately it has been more tough to stay at the top due to the wiggs Rex/sun fac teams but they are beatable! Farm yourself a scent set of mods and hope u get lucky.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/jiub/
  • Options
    holyjoe wrote: »
    lvl:80 Arena Power:38k Arena Rank: top 100

I am start thinking that the answer is NO. this game slowly converts into P2P game.
    To have a toon that matters at all it should be at least 6* g8

Let's have a quick preview of shard sources:
    Cantina - I think it is no longer F2P - you got mods to farm, drop rate is low.
    Cantina Shop - I think it has never been for F2P - max I get 1 purchase per day - 5 shards
    Arena Shipments - still F2P - I can get 10 shards per day
    GW - still F2P if there is anything to farm.

I am ok that P2P should have an advantage, so I will start thinking that my highest rank in Arena will be 100 or 200, 500.. but main problem is that if I fall in Arena rank crystals and Arena tokens that I will get will not be enough to have any progress so I will stop playing. And I think that other F2P will also stop playing when they reach such state...

I think that devs should take a little care about F2P - I think they should increase rewards in Arena for lower tiers and add new toons in GW(no need to be top toons but valuable)

there's your problem right there. your too competitive. you think the only time a toon counts is if they are 6* g8. i guess i should quit playing then because i only have a few toons that even come close or meet that requirement. i'll get there when i get there.

i'm not top dog either but you know what?? so what? i'm having fun farming the characters i enjoy at my own pace. and i'm f2p.

:smile: No - I am not too competitive - they are just useless if under 6* g8 - my enemies are just strong. I got Jawa 6* g8 no mods and it can take max 2 hits from easy team in GW.
    In general what I mean is that if they increase Arena crystal reward and add some toons in GW I can continue play same way even If/when I fall to rank 500 - I will have toon to farm and enough crystals for refreshes/raid gear... The upper ranks will have P2P OP toons and super mods and that is ok.
    If I was lvl 70 it is ok to be at 500 rank because toons are valuable at lower lvl/gear so player can get some progress, but if you are lvl80 you need these crystals to progress or it will take a very long time.
    newcomer lvl 80 is ok for now because they had just latest meta toons, but what when meta changed and should start to farm new toons... it can take forever now to get from 0 toon and farm it 7* from cantina..
  • Options
    and don't forget that some of F2P players a competitive because of precrafting :smile:
  • holyjoe
    595 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    whats your hurry?? i'm at level 78. i have one 7* toon and a few 6* toons. the rest are 5* or less. i do have a lot of g8 plus toons though. but i'm in no hurry. and i think i'm at rank 1000 or lower. not sure i don't pay attention. i just do the 3 arena battles to complete the daily activity. and the meta? whats that? i don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. i think i remember someone saying the meta is what most people are using in arena for teams. i just use what i want. sometimes i win, sometimes i loose.
  • Options
    holyjoe wrote: »
    whats your hurry?? i'm at level 78. i have one 7* toon and a few 6* toons. the rest are 5* or less. i do have a lot of g8 plus toons though. but i'm in no hurry. and i think i'm at rank 1000. not sure i don't pay attention. i just do the 3 arena battles to complete the daily activity.

you are right. Obviously everything depends on personal definition of "progress" and "too long".
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    When did you start playing @pargame ?
  • Options
    when I read all posts I start thinking that the problem is.... myself and my expectation what game should offer... :smile: but I cannot do anything.. :smile:
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

not sure - about 6 months ago
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Excellent insight, Pargame.

Happy gaming :—)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

not sure - about 6 months ago

well, i agree that once you've played long enough, adding a new character to your arena squad is a painfully slow process.
  • Options
    If FTP leaves, then the game dies. A mobile game is a mass numbers game. EA won't invest on a game played by only 1000 whales. Whales won't pay thousands is they get no advantages. If everyone is a whale, then what is the point of spending?
    The life blood of this type of games is the FTP and the small time spender.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    F2p here. Rank 8

Have snapshot from my phone. Guess I gotta upload to imgur when I get home.
  • Options
    F2p here, arena rank 1, tournament rank 52, 50 7* chars
    you should use a droid team because this team don't need powerful mods to be competitive.
    take a look at my arena team as an example: https://swgoh.gg/u/renanfilipe/

• Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    @RenanFilipe
    F2p and you have b2? Uhhh .. I don't think so.
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    As a f2p myself, I think there is (just) enough time given before raising the bar for active f2p to remain competitive. That is, we can play catch-up while others are sitting against a hard wall. When the wall moves, yes... p2p's basically have an instant advantage as they upgrade quicker.

If you want to see a real divide between f2p and p2p, just download Game of War. That's a great model in how to alienate the f2p's, as it's IMPOSSIBLE to be competitive without spending tens of thousands of dollars. I just hope this game never gets anywhere close to that model. So far, it's not, and I still enjoy playing. But to the players that no longer enjoy it, there's nothing stopping you from walking away. Nothing at all.

And for the record, I'm not top 10 in arena (typically finish around 100). I fully admit I made some ... less than stellar ... decisions early on and have spent a while trying to correct them. But that's not the dev's fault, and it's not the p2p's fault. Blaming them doesn't get me any further ahead. I just gotta keep grinding.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some gear to farm. Lol
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Toukai wrote: »
    @RenanFilipe
    F2p and you have b2? Uhhh .. I don't think so.

cantina node 6-D