Thoughts on the tournament! (Merged Threads)

Replies

• tiS
    129 posts Member
    Options
    Chaos is a ladder.
    -Littlefinger

Rename it a the chaos ladder.

Hahaha
  • tiS
    129 posts Member
    Options
    tiS wrote: »
    It's still not a tournament I guess that's what **** me off, tourney is win and advance and lose and ur done, it needs a new name

Which makes no sense since you cannot battle in real time.

If your team makes a **** move on defense should you be kicked out of the tourney?

It's no tourney that's my point it is the same as arena pretty much
  • Options
    This would be VERY useful information to know... for the moment as I climb the ranks my plan is to keep using my weakest squads as long as I can assuming that refreshes will eventually either go up in cost or be locked. However, if this isn't the case I might as well keep using my A team!
    Officer in BDB, a "casual but competitive" guild that has Rancor and HAAT on farm, gets 37* in LS TB, and kicks butt in TW. PM if interested in joining!
  • tiS
    129 posts Member
    Options
    So tourney mode is basically spend the most ally points now to climb! Makes sense, better then crystals. NOw at least
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Sayuloveit wrote: »
    Because waiting until the last 10 minutes wouldn't do you any good given the format

Explain to me please. Last tourney I waited and attacked got to top 200 without even playing much and had less points then people I was above.

Aren't you supposed to rank according to the amount of points you've got?

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    It's still not a tournament I guess that's what **** me off, tourney is win and advance and lose and ur done, it needs a new name

Far from all tourneys use that setup.
  • Barhebraeus
    620 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Because waiting until the last 10 minutes wouldn't do you any good given the format

Actually that's not true...

10 mins is too close.l but it's better to attack near the reset because you will get more points per attack. As you rise in rank, you get less points per attack.

Is there a reset before the tourny is over? Because as far as I can tell there isn't.
  • Options
    Somewhere in CG land, a developer is reading this and saying "Oh crap". lol
  • Barhebraeus
    620 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Doesn't seem so. Other than the daily roster refresh, it seems that you'll need to keep paying successively higher amounts of ally points to fight each new battle within the same day. My impression is that--assuming you have enough ally points--you should push your squad as far as you can each day before you're roundly defeated, then rinse and repeat the next day. That way you'll earn as many ranking points as possible. Waiting to do everything on the last day will not bring you as many points since you'll probably reach a point where your squad simply isn't powerful enough to continue ...
  • Options

Actually that's not true...

10 mins is too close.l but it's better to attack near the reset because you will get more points per attack. As you rise in rank, you get less points per attack.

Is there a reset before the tourny is over? Because as far as I can tell there isn't.

There's a char refresh every day
  • Fitz
    302 posts Member
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Aplus wrote: »
    Alright I will try and explain why I think waiting is not a good idea.

First off, true sinking down the ranks will give you a larger buffer zone between the frontmost whales and the normal casual players. As a result, you will have the advantage of facing weaker players and easier scores. However, do bear in mind that while you are waiting, other players are playing. ESPECIALLY the whales and some hoardinng players. In the end, if you and they contribute the same amount of ally points but you waited, which means that you will have a score difference during time you did not spend coins playing. If you argued that you had spent as much as the top players, just that you postponed your time playing, e.g you spent 50000 ally points in the last hour vs them spending 50000 over the span of 10 hours, it makes no difference. You will end up on the top anyways(presuming you two win as much) this strrategy WORKS if the tournament is only ONE DAY, NO REFRESH. But over the course of three days, it doesnt really matter.

Second, the iddiotic scoreboard only allows you to view 50 players range. You might have waited thinking you can catch up, but who knows how much the top players in your shard spent? You planned to spend 100k and get 7000 score, hey they got 200k and got 10000 score. So how would you catch up? The unpredictability is what kills off the strategy as well.

The best thing to do is to go all the way up to 50thish and use MIXED squad, especially when you meet weaker squads of 60-70 levels, just crush them with your backup squad, mix in a overpowered toon like EP or Rex lead, and let them carry your weaker toons that have no chance against the top 80s, thus lowering your cost. Then stay there, go to bed, wake up, refresh, and keep 50thish. Then finally, before it ends, rush ALL THE WAY up to 1-3rd.

Now that I explained what I think is a legit strategy, I have to proclaim here that I did not use such tactics, since I hoarded quite an amount of ally points and tokens that I am confident to stay at the Top, thus I am sitting comfortably at 3rd place right now. Agree or not, you can just try it out. Good luck.

The problem with what you are saying is that its all based on the idea that you are already in a tournament server from the beginning. That was not the case last time. As best we can tell you are placed in a server when you go in, and set up your defense, and see your opponents.

Once a server fills up new ones are added. So if you skip the first day of the tournament and start day two you are likely being put in a server with others who didn't even try day one. Basically you are grouped in with slackers and people who barely play. This exploit last time allowed some to do WAY better than they should have. He is asking now that its more well know if this is still a good strategy, or will everyone be trying to do it. And the answer to that is... it's a **** shoot. Who knows how many will try to do that, and if you'll get stuck on a server with a bunch of whales who had the same idea.

And nothing was done to alleviate that kind of thing. The shard for the tournament should be created and filled up based on when a player started playing. This way it is fair and similar to what's happening with actual game shards.
  • Options
    Ah, I see now. Thanks.
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm torn between refreshing for the tourney or cashing in my Ally coins to finish maxing all the GW heroes and then start building shards for the shard shop. Is Stormtrooper Spicoli really worth the effort?
  • Options
    cashing in my Ally coins to finish maxing all the GW heroes

wut?
  • Options
    Fitz wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Aplus wrote: »
    Alright I will try and explain why I think waiting is not a good idea.

First off, true sinking down the ranks will give you a larger buffer zone between the frontmost whales and the normal casual players. As a result, you will have the advantage of facing weaker players and easier scores. However, do bear in mind that while you are waiting, other players are playing. ESPECIALLY the whales and some hoardinng players. In the end, if you and they contribute the same amount of ally points but you waited, which means that you will have a score difference during time you did not spend coins playing. If you argued that you had spent as much as the top players, just that you postponed your time playing, e.g you spent 50000 ally points in the last hour vs them spending 50000 over the span of 10 hours, it makes no difference. You will end up on the top anyways(presuming you two win as much) this strrategy WORKS if the tournament is only ONE DAY, NO REFRESH. But over the course of three days, it doesnt really matter.

Second, the iddiotic scoreboard only allows you to view 50 players range. You might have waited thinking you can catch up, but who knows how much the top players in your shard spent? You planned to spend 100k and get 7000 score, hey they got 200k and got 10000 score. So how would you catch up? The unpredictability is what kills off the strategy as well.

The best thing to do is to go all the way up to 50thish and use MIXED squad, especially when you meet weaker squads of 60-70 levels, just crush them with your backup squad, mix in a overpowered toon like EP or Rex lead, and let them carry your weaker toons that have no chance against the top 80s, thus lowering your cost. Then stay there, go to bed, wake up, refresh, and keep 50thish. Then finally, before it ends, rush ALL THE WAY up to 1-3rd.

Now that I explained what I think is a legit strategy, I have to proclaim here that I did not use such tactics, since I hoarded quite an amount of ally points and tokens that I am confident to stay at the Top, thus I am sitting comfortably at 3rd place right now. Agree or not, you can just try it out. Good luck.

The problem with what you are saying is that its all based on the idea that you are already in a tournament server from the beginning. That was not the case last time. As best we can tell you are placed in a server when you go in, and set up your defense, and see your opponents.

Once a server fills up new ones are added. So if you skip the first day of the tournament and start day two you are likely being put in a server with others who didn't even try day one. Basically you are grouped in with slackers and people who barely play. This exploit last time allowed some to do WAY better than they should have. He is asking now that its more well know if this is still a good strategy, or will everyone be trying to do it. And the answer to that is... it's a **** shoot. Who knows how many will try to do that, and if you'll get stuck on a server with a bunch of whales who had the same idea.

And nothing was done to alleviate that kind of thing. The shard for the tournament should be created and filled up based on when a player started playing. This way it is fair and similar to what's happening with actual game shards.

It is based on when you start playing. You can't play in the tournament until your defense is set up. So the theory is don't play until the last day.
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

wut?

You can trade Ally Coins for GW tokens and in turn level the 12 or so heroes from there. Once they are maxed, you can build shards. For every 1 hero shard achieved for an already maxed hero, you get 15 Shard shop coins, to trade for other heroes or gear.

• Options
    I'm torn between refreshing for the tourney or cashing in my Ally coins to finish maxing all the GW heroes and then start building shards for the shard shop. Is Stormtrooper Spicoli really worth the effort?

Shoretrooper is good... my thing is that IMO they're about to give us a couple to few new toons in GW so cashing in GW tokens at this time makes no sense to me; this has only made me hoard harder.
  • Options
    gobears21 wrote: »

Shoretrooper is good... my thing is that IMO they're about to give us a couple to few new toons in GW so cashing in GW tokens at this time makes no sense to me; this has only made me hoard harder.

It's a coin toss for sure. But chances are the "New" heroes will be from cantina or something, and already be available?

• Options
    I'm done; this isnt a tourney. And the rewards are miminal unless you finish Top 100 (difference of 5 shards and a few Omegas) and with the "not returning" ShoreTrooper angle makes this even worse. Another failed attempt at new content, just like AAT Normal Tank Raid
    Han Solo: No time to discuss this as a committee. Princess Leia: I am not a committee!
  • Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    Options
    You don't get put in a shard till you log in. A couple of Guildies who waited are now top of theirs with 2000 ally points. I got excited and jumped in, 70th with nearly 4000. Cool.
  • Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    Options
    Not ally points, tournament points.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options

wut?

You can trade Ally Coins for GW tokens and in turn level the 12 or so heroes from there. Once they are maxed, you can build shards. For every 1 hero shard achieved for an already maxed hero, you get 15 Shard shop coins, to trade for other heroes or gear.

Where can you exchange ally points to GW coins?
  • Options
    Go into GW, click redeem.
  • Options
    Heh. There's a guy in my tourney shard with 4k points already, so probably not.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    That's cashing in galactic war currency for ally points so you have more for the tournament
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Darthpedro wrote: »
    That's cashing in galactic war currency for ally points so you have more for the tournament

Well that puts an end to an otherwise **** fine plan lol

• MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Darthpedro wrote: »

Other way around.

Go buy one