Thoughts on the tournament! (Merged Threads)

Replies

• Options
    So you are saying they only had one days worth of attacks?
  • Options
    Who cares. The whales with a million ally points win.... the rest kind of share the scraps....
  • Options
    but if there will be more than one new toon then the spare tokens come into play.
  • Options
    Sayuloveit wrote: »
    Because waiting until the last 10 minutes wouldn't do you any good given the format

Actually that's not true...

10 mins is too close.l but it's better to attack near the reset because you will get more points per attack. As you rise in rank, you get less points per attack.

so you are telling me 5 games at 500 pts is the same as 30 games at 100 pts?

I understand what you're saying, but it still won't hold up for the top part of the ladder.
  • Options
    HakFoo wrote: »
    So you are saying they only had one days worth of attacks?

Yes, and both are F2P players, but because of the shard they got dropped into they both finished in the top 20.
  • Options
    What no? There's no such thing ? What are you talking about ? Everyone Jump right on in ! Why am I waiting ? Cause I want ST ..
  • Options
    IMO, the biggest advantage/disadvantage is likely going to be who else is in your tournament bracket.

My understanding is that players were grouped last time based on when they entered the tournament.

I am planning on entering the tournament
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    Obviously you have information about Tourneys that I do not have. Even if you can only fight the same target once per day (didn't see that anywhere). Having 20 friends in your shard with gimped defenses for you to attack with weaker squads is a real advantage.

It lets you field more squads, If you can run 5 squads vs 4, that a real edge.

Obviously this thread was never read. It was up for weeks before this second tourney.

BTW, check the players on your shard (you know what guides to look for). See if you spot anyone with mods removed.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/74796/shoretrooper-event-return-leaderboards#latest

Yup, it clearly states that once you attack a particular opponent, it won't be available to you for some time. That prevents the crazy rate of two people piggy-backing off each other to the top.

• Options
    Isn't your rank based on total points? So I don't think it matters when you start just how many points you have in the end?
  • Options
    UM did you guys all miss the part where once someone targets you that you get removed from their list?

Meaning that nobody can attack you more than 1x. So you can remove all the mods you want, but your buddy can only hit you once and you him once, then you have to fight the masses. Mod moving won't help collusion this time.
  • Options
    Why do i need so many spare GW-tokens for new chars, when i dont have the credits to promote them?
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Options
    I am still able to change defense squad. I was under the impression it would be set for the entire tournament, though I may have missed the fine details.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • Options
    SantasWS wrote: »
    but if there will be more than one new toon then the spare tokens come into play.

Yup! Even if there is just one character you want spare tokens so you can take advantage of every single free refresh and be able to farm the character as fast as possible.

If there are TWO characters added....ohhhh boy, that will create an issue. Lol.
  • Options
    Going under the assumption that you have a limited number of attacks and you want to maximize points by the end of those 10 attacks, you want the highest number of points per attack.

This tourney everyone is limited by the number of their ally points, thus attacks. So

100 100 100 100 100 50 50 10 10

is better than say

100 50 50 10 10 10 10 10 10

• Options
    You can erase your squad but when you try to pick a new one, it says it's locked. So you can't.
    Team MèreDooku [Fr]
    Recruiting now ! Send me an ally request : 557 787 579
  • Options
    Achilles wrote: »
    Why do i need so many spare GW-tokens for new chars, when i dont have the credits to promote them?

Credits do not seem to be a problem for me and possibly a lot of other advanced players.
  • Options
    You can change it but it won't stick. Go back in and the original team will show back up. I thought the same thing at first.
  • Options
    Ahh. I see. So they just disabled the "set" button and linked the action to a banner message rather than removing the option totally. Seems a bit lazy, but effective.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • Aplus
    138 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Alright I will try and explain why I think waiting is not a good idea.

First off, true sinking down the ranks will give you a larger buffer zone between the frontmost whales and the normal casual players. As a result, you will have the advantage of facing weaker players and easier scores. However, do bear in mind that while you are waiting, other players are playing. ESPECIALLY the whales and some hoardinng players. In the end, if you and they contribute the same amount of ally points but you waited, which means that you will have a score difference during time you did not spend coins playing. If you argued that you had spent as much as the top players, just that you postponed your time playing, e.g you spent 50000 ally points in the last hour vs them spending 50000 over the span of 10 hours, it makes no difference. You will end up on the top anyways(presuming you two win as much) this strrategy WORKS if the tournament is only ONE DAY, NO REFRESH. But over the course of three days, it doesnt really matter.

Second, the iddiotic scoreboard only allows you to view 50 players range. You might have waited thinking you can catch up, but who knows how much the top players in your shard spent? You planned to spend 100k and get 7000 score, hey they got 200k and got 10000 score. So how would you catch up? The unpredictability is what kills off the strategy as well.

The best thing to do is to go all the way up to 50thish and use MIXED squad, especially when you meet weaker squads of 60-70 levels, just crush them with your backup squad, mix in a overpowered toon like EP or Rex lead, and let them carry your weaker toons that have no chance against the top 80s, thus lowering your cost. Then stay there, go to bed, wake up, refresh, and keep 50thish. Then finally, before it ends, rush ALL THE WAY up to 1-3rd.

Now that I explained what I think is a legit strategy, I have to proclaim here that I did not use such tactics, since I hoarded quite an amount of ally points and tokens that I am confident to stay at the Top, thus I am sitting comfortably at 3rd place right now. Agree or not, you can just try it out. Good luck.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Ahh. I see. So they just disabled the "set" button and linked the action to a banner message rather than removing the option totally. Seems a bit lazy, but effective.

Well the tournament code was already in the game, and the layout for it was fine, so there wasn't really a need to change that, but they just disabled some features I guess. I wouldn't really call it lazy, they just did what was necessary with what they already had.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    sying wrote: »
    Lucky for me I barely sleep so I hit all four refreshes
    I'd take sleep over hitting all 4 refreshes, but then I'm pretty patient and don't really care about the time difference between getting them to 7 stars at 3 a day or 4 a day.
  • Aplus
    138 posts Member
    Options
    [
    The only strategies are 1. Have tons of ally points. 2. Don't sleep

That is pretty legit too LOL
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Aplus wrote: »

First off, true sinking down the ranks will give you a larger buffer zone between the frontmost whales and the normal casual players. As a result, you will have the advantage of facing weaker players and easier scores. However, do bear in mind that while you are waiting, other players are playing. ESPECIALLY the whales and some hoardinng players. In the end, if you and they contribute the same amount of ally points but you waited, which means that you will have a score difference during time you did not spend coins playing. If you argued that you had spent as much as the top players, just that you postponed your time playing, e.g you spent 50000 ally points in the last hour vs them spending 50000 over the span of 10 hours, it makes no difference. You will end up on the top anyways(presuming you two win as much) this strrategy WORKS if the tournament is only ONE DAY, NO REFRESH. But over the course of three days, it doesnt really matter.

Second, the iddiotic scoreboard only allows you to view 50 players range. You might have waited thinking you can catch up, but who knows how much the top players in your shard spent? You planned to spend 100k and get 7000 score, hey they got 200k and got 10000 score. So how would you catch up? The unpredictability is what kills off the strategy as well.

The best thing to do is to go all the way up to 50thish and use MIXED squad, especially when you meet weaker squads of 60-70 levels, just crush them with your backup squad, mix in a overpowered toon like EP or Rex lead, and let them carry your weaker toons that have no chance against the top 80s, thus lowering your cost. Then stay there, go to bed, wake up, refresh, and keep 50thish. Then finally, before it ends, rush ALL THE WAY up to 1-3rd.

Now that I explained what I think is a legit strategy, I have to proclaim here that I did not use such tactics, since I hoarded quite an amount of ally points and tokens that I am confident to stay at the Top, thus I am sitting comfortably at 3rd place right now. Agree or not, you can just try it out. Good luck.

The problem with what you are saying is that its all based on the idea that you are already in a tournament server from the beginning. That was not the case last time. As best we can tell you are placed in a server when you go in, and set up your defense, and see your opponents.

Once a server fills up new ones are added. So if you skip the first day of the tournament and start day two you are likely being put in a server with others who didn't even try day one. Basically you are grouped in with slackers and people who barely play. This exploit last time allowed some to do WAY better than they should have. He is asking now that its more well know if this is still a good strategy, or will everyone be trying to do it. And the answer to that is... it's a crap shoot. Who knows how many will try to do that, and if you'll get stuck on a server with a bunch of whales who had the same idea.
  • Options
    I´m in Top 30 of my tournament shard and now there are only opponents left which I can´t beat with my roster (Most of them have got the Wiggs meta). I used 25k ally points to get in Top 30 and have still 150k which I don´t need at the moment ;)
    Maybe tomorrow...
  • Options
    Aplus wrote: »

The only strategies are 1. Have tons of ally points. 2. Don't sleep

Lol, that is going to be the winning formula for this tourney. Whales with tons of ally points playing through the night.
  • Options
    Right. That's what I way saying.....It applies if you don't care where you place and are on a limited point budget.

I think we're starting to get on to two different tangents though.

If you want to remain competitive you'll need to be active and waiting until the last 10 minutes of the last day won't work. If you just want to spend a few points and place top 500, then yes what the OP is stating would have some effect.
  • tiS
    129 posts Member
    Options
    It's still not a tournament I guess that's what **** me off, tourney is win and advance and lose and ur done, it needs a new name
  • Options
    tiS wrote: »
    It's still not a tournament I guess that's what **** me off, tourney is win and advance and lose and ur done, it needs a new name

Which makes no sense since you cannot battle in real time.

If your team makes a stupid move on defense should you be kicked out of the tourney?
  • StarSon
    7472 posts Member
    Options
    tiS wrote: »

Not necessarily true. Golfers play tournaments, and are assigned rank based on points, not a ladder system. Racing is the same, though not sure if they call them tournaments. Either way, if your only problem is the name, then I'm not sure what to tell you. More points = good.
  • Options
    Chaos is a ladder.
    -Littlefinger

Rename it a the chaos ladder.