QGJ doesn't fix the Poe Problem. W2G~

Prev13456789
Naecabon
1243 posts Member
edited January 2016
QGJ being released as a Cantina Shipment!

F2P Rejoice! Whales vomit in their mouths! Everyone wins!

Or did we all just lose?

Lets play a game called "COINCIDENCE, OR BAD DECISION?"

I'll present a series of events for you, and you can figure out if this is

A) SHEER COINCIDENCE

or

B ) A REALLY BAD DECISION

Here we go:

FIRST, Poe starts causing a shakeup. Ewok makes an [iN] post about Poe hitting 143 speed mark in 70 update, a lot of people say stuff about how we're over reacting, we all say "You all in fo it now, you jus watch suckas" and we doom and gloom a lot. No change is made, no one seems to care.

SECOND, 70 update hits, Poe hits 143 Speed, and suddenly everyone starts laying Poe-sized eggs on the issue. Poe posts pop up left and right on reddit and the forums, everyone starts calling for Poe's head on a spike, nerfs are demanded, the issue becomes real.

THIRD, people talk in said posts about "ways to deal with Poe." Despite being debunked repeatedly, QGJ as a "counter method" is brought up many times. This is a surface level counter not really involved with the actual problems at play, but to someone new to the issue seems relatively legitimate. "Poe's a tank, clearly debuffing the Taunt is the counter!" Obviously, many laugh at this and say this is not really a valid fix, but people keep saying it nonetheless.

FOURTH, CG responds saying they would "look over the posts" etc etc implying they're at least aware people are upset, and as always it seems F2P are more upset than Whales (Whales have QGJ and FOTP and Leia and everyone else at 7* so for whales, it's more of a stalemate - best team fights best team, Poe first wins - but for f2p Poe means a literally unwinnable match against a whale)

FIFTH AND FINAL, today, word comes that CG has decided to release QGJ as a Cantina Shipment, completely out of the blue with no prior acknowledgment for any of those buying packs to get him in recent days/weeks (wait, no announcement?! what a complete shocker!!) and before a content patch in just a couple of weeks we all know is coming, because they're already previewing it. In an update also fixing Dooku, so more of an impromptu "bug fix" update and not really a content update at all.

KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER:

- This is super abrupt with no prior warning to anyone at all, usually indicative of a knee **** reaction to an ongoing problem.

- There's a content update right on the horizon this easily could have waited for. Why do it now?

- This angers A LOT of P2P players that considered QGJ their only real "edge" in paying for this game, so why bother angering a lot of people like that for no good reason? Clearly you'd think there'd be a reason for such a risk, right?

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

COINCIDENCE OR BAD DECISION?

I'm not even going to touch on the absurdity of releasing QGJ like this while THE POE PROBLEM IS STILL ACTIVE since QGJ DOESN'T ANSWER POE IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER, and even goes so far as TO MAKE THE POE PROBLEM WORSE BECAUSE HIS ASSIST IS USUALLY A OHK but hey, it's not like they listened to us before the patch when they could have fixed Poe before the problem occurred, and they certainly didn't listen to us when we gave a long list of a variety of ways to actually fix him, so why would I ever expect them to listen to us now or ever? See, you guys were wrong! They don't actually listen to Team Instinct at all! Rejoice again!

So, in short,

CG yet again did something no one had any prior knowledge of and it made a lot of people angry, no real surprise on that one. My sympathies for anyone that bought packs to finish their 7* in recent days.

CG didn't fix a Poe problem when they were clearly trying to fix a Poe problem, although they covered their tracks by never actually claiming this was a Poe problem solution. Bravo. Unfortunately, anyone with a brain can see this is a pretty obvious attempt.

Poe is still very much a problem.

QGJ was kind of a problem too but less of one because not as many people had him, but now EVERYONE gets him and EVERYONE gets to abuse him! Yay!

So now we have a Poe AND a QGJ problem!

Things got so much better!

PS EDIT: One week notice before this going live and you can argue an appropriate window of time ahead of the change would have led to people being more comfortable with this. As is, a ninja fix of QGJ in to the meta as a free character to everyone with the snap of fingers is the worst possible example to send to your spenders. That's the nature of this post - it's a fix because it was so sudden and makes no sense otherwise. If they'd said "QGJ will be rotated out as an exclusive a week from now so buyer beware" ahead of time, a lot of people would be a lot less mad. But they didn't do that.
Post edited by Naecabon on

Replies

• Options
    Well said Senor. Though FTP players will not be able to 7-star QGJ too quickly. You would think that in all this Poe and QGJ are Jedi masters and are wrecking the Sith. I really hope our Game Devs take a good look at Star Wars lore and try to get a little closer to that.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ockham's Razor says: Whatever they plan to do with Poe is part of the major pending update, which will also include new chromium-only characters, so they threw Jinn into Cantina shipments as something to make most players happy in the meantime. I agree that he is no counter to Poe (though I got roundly flamed for saying it earlier) but I don't think he's intended to be. For one thing, most minnows/dolphins who are using Poe now will also just use Jinn, so it will still come down to whose Poe goes first (which will also determine whose Jinn goes first).
    That said, it will, in some cases, at least allow people to strip off the taunt, which could be helpful.
    Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see what the real update brings.
    I do think people should be warned before they spend all their oranges that this move could be a prelude to him becoming far less desirable after the major update.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Bad decision. Inb4 Leia added to arena shipments and Old Ben added to GW.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Everyone loves to say "THIS IS HOW IT IS IN ALL GAMES" or "CG ISNT DOING ANYTHING WE'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE"

I would love for some examples of popular games with a gacha system that have major shifts and changes to that gacha with absolutely no warning ahead of time. Every game I've ever played tells you WELL IN ADVANCE what to expect and what changes are coming to the exclusive pulls.

I realize fully this isn't a traditional gacha for both good and bad reasons but this new update highlights why it REALLY isn't a traditional gacha...
  • Options
    I can't imagine the kind of life you have...
  • Options
    While I agree it was sudden, they mention as new characters are released chrome pack characters will be turned into obtainable. I read that as they have new characters for P2P and casual to shake up the whole meta as we know it. I think we are acting a bit hasty with the pitch forks. CG has something up their sleeves in this next update. Every game I've ever played online has seen shifts like this, Class is too OP, blah blah than next update either is nerfed to oblivion or a new character/class is introduced to counter. I say let's see this out, I bet you as as every other game I've played a few months from now. Hey you remember those Poe days? oh yeah those were the days...
  • Options
    All I see with the QGJ move is EA/CA starting the move of current Chromium characters to the various shipments so they can put in new Chromium characters. Nothing more, no hidden agenda.
  • Options
    Anraeth wrote: »
    While I agree it was sudden,

Well we agree so that's the important part!
  • Options
    This man must have a pitchfork in his car.
  • Options
    This is a great decision. Adding a Chromium only character every so often to F2P will keep them around. It's not like they aren't going to release a new OP character soon for the big spenders.
  • Options

It's annoying because I have to keep the windows down to let it hang out of the side, and I can't really drive down tight alleyways or anything.
  • Options
    pay2win wrote: »
    This is a great decision. Adding a Chromium only character every so often to F2P will keep them around. It's not like they aren't going to release a new OP character soon for the big spenders.

I'm sorry sir, the appropriate responses were "COINCIDENCE" or "BAD DECISION." Unfortunately, "GREAT DECISION" was not a valid answer.

Better luck next time!
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The salt flows freely.

Poe was a necessity for me to compete with whale teams at the top level. All of these teams also incorporated Poe into their strategy. You of all people are aware the real problem is the single target dps of certain characters hiding behind a taunt. Without Poe's turn meter reduction he'll be completely worthless against a qui gon jinn. I farmed him to seven stars and I expect he'll be a usable character and a viable option for the foreseeable future. Everyone knows he's complete garbage in missions and GW so his only purpose is arena.

Poe allows me and other small spenders/f2p compete with people who spend thousands.

Currently as a character all he does is remove 20-25% meter on taunt if he survives before the taunt.

I can easily defeat the meta team (Ben/QGJ/Poe/GS/Rey) even if their Poe taunts first.

Phasma grants a larger amount of turn meter and also grants advantage.

The reality of the situation is, as I said, damage is too darn high, and when brought down in arena, Poe will be a niche but viable option. The true problem is what hides behind him. o:)
  • Options
    Naecabon wrote: »

It's annoying because I have to keep the windows down to let it hang out of the side, and I can't really drive down tight alleyways or anything.

I like you.
  • Options
    pay2win wrote: »

I'm sorry sir, the appropriate responses were "COINCIDENCE" or "BAD DECISION." Unfortunately, "GREAT DECISION" was not a valid answer.

Better luck next time!

Coincidence maybe? Think it was going to happen sooner or later.
  • Options
    Where is the poll? I want to vote on Coincidence or Bad Decision~
    Star Wars: Galaxy of Supporting Cast Members
  • Options
    Elyndria wrote: »

Poe was a necessity for me to compete with whale teams at the top level. All of these teams also incorporated Poe into their strategy. You of all people are aware the real problem is the single target dps of certain characters hiding behind a taunt. Without Poe's turn meter reduction he'll be completely worthless against a qui gon jinn.

I completely, 100% agree with you. Damage is the real problem, not Poe. Cannot agree more.

That being said, it's a hell of a lot easier to quickly fix Poe's Turn Meter attack to be slightly less disruptive than it is to completely overhaul the entire damage system in the game. Hopefully we can agree there as well.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    My 3 star QGJ is the best, and I win 100% of all Poe games with it. So, like you even know!
  • Options
    Fabzorz wrote: »
    Where is the poll? I want to vote on Coincidence or Bad Decision~

I realized too late that this was an option, I didn't realize it was a dropdown =(
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think u guys would be happy if EVERY characters stats/skills were EXACTLY the same. They could have different names and appearances, but no unique abilities. Gee wouldn't that make for a fun game....
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That being said, it's a hell of a lot easier to quickly fix Poe's Turn Meter attack to be slightly less disruptive than it is to completely overhaul the entire damage system in the game. Hopefully we can agree there as well.
    UPDATE char_stats
    SET base_damage = base_damage * 0.5, special_damage = special_damage * 0.5

Please let me know where to send the invoice. ;)
  • Options
    Power creep is coming. You will get your next p2w edge toon soon enough. All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

I talk to lots of whales who run top tier teams that fall into your VERY limited "current meta" definition. They seem to be happy with this move as it allows them to easily finish off their 6 1/2 star QGJs without having to drop another grand to do it.

You haven't lost any edge in the meantime against the masses (QGJ will take forever for them to farm), and while the Poe problem at your level has not been resolved, the devs never said it had. You are extrapolating their thinking and motives without any logical basis for your conclusions.

You just seem unduly hot under the collar for a move that benefits many whales as much if not more than f2p folks. You'll have a new toon to throw cash at and get an edge again soon. Deep breaths. Power creep is coming. All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

• Options
    JoshG wrote: »
    Sometimes I think u guys would be happy if EVERY characters stats/skills were EXACTLY the same. They could have different names and appearances, but no unique abilities. Gee wouldn't that make for a fun game....

Agreed.

Nerfing characters only limits design space because everyone will be outraged after every character is released. Unique abilities are good for the game and I want to see more!
  • Options
    The salt flows freely.

The true problem is what hides behind him. o:)

LOL my new favorite quote.

It's no wonder Jesse doesn't like this guy lol. They give you information in advance and he complains. They make available a chromium character and it's a conspiracy. It's like 5 people on this forum that make it the garbage dump it is. Hard to find the good content when all people do is cry.

• reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    Poe was a necessity for me to compete with whale teams at the top level. All of these teams also incorporated Poe into their strategy. I farmed him to seven stars and I expect he'll be a usable character and a viable option for the foreseeable future.

Poe allows me and other small spenders/f2p compete with people who spend thousands.

Currently as a character all he does is remove 20-25% meter on taunt if he survives before the taunt.

I can easily defeat the meta team (Ben/QGJ/Poe/GS/Rey) even if their Poe taunts first.

while i have difficulty defeating poe (because i don't use him myself), your example here illustrates that mirror matching an easy (possibly easiest) method to beating him. in RPS, rock does not beat rock. paper does not beat paper, etc. i'm doubtful most poes are in a position of 'if he survives before the taunt.' difficult to understand how that situation exists outside of running a poe yourself (which you do) or get lucky with dooku/daka stunning him on first turn.
    mighty chlorians
  • Options
    You just seem unduly hot under the collar for a move that benefits many whales as much if not more than f2p folks. You'll have a new toon to throw cash at and get an edge again soon. Deep breaths. Power creep is coming. All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

I don't care at all that QGJ is being rotated out. It was inevitable. I stopped buying packs a long time ago.

What I care about is a company that seems completely incapable of alerting it's paying customers to anything it plans on doing, ever.
  • Options
    Emily wrote: »
    The salt flows freely.

The true problem is what hides behind him. o:)

LOL my new favorite quote.

It's no wonder Jesse doesn't like this guy lol. They give you information in advance and he complains. They make available a chromium character and it's a conspiracy. It's like 5 people on this forum that make it the garbage dump it is. Hard to find the good content when all people do is cry.

Every time I see an obscure 1 Post fresh account that makes posts specifically about the awesome things devs do and even drops a "It's no wonder Jesse doesn't like this guy" I always want to wave and say Hiiiiii Deeevvv
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    reizse wrote: »
    Poe was a necessity for me to compete with whale teams at the top level. All of these teams also incorporated Poe into their strategy. I farmed him to seven stars and I expect he'll be a usable character and a viable option for the foreseeable future.

while i have difficulty defeating poe (because i don't use him myself), your example here illustrates that mirror matching an easy (possibly easiest) method to beating him. in RPS, rock does not beat rock. paper does not beat paper, etc. i'm doubtful most poes are in a position of 'if he survives before the taunt.' difficult to understand how that situation exists outside of running a poe yourself (which you do) or get lucky with dooku/daka stunning him on first turn.

The reality is if you remove Poe it'll still be rock vs rock because the top team will be the same, just replace Poe for more damage/assist characters.

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Okay, suppose they announced a week in advance that Jinn would become farmable. What would happen to chromium pack sales immediately afterwards? It would be a pretty dumb business move.
    I do get that people who may have just dropped a bunch of cash trying to get the guy would be upset. But this is part of the risk when you go that route.
  • DarthLundgrenn
    68 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A new character was released.. you might be looking into it a bit too much. I saw a few times before them alluding to someone coming soon. Don't think it has to do w Poe complaints. It's been a huge deal to most f2p to be able to have a chance to get some exclusive characters and I've seen that requested as much as probably anything else on the forums

It's only right because there are people who spend a reasonable amount of money on the game (I say reasonable meaning the old norm) and no game ever cost me more than 60 dollars. tbh, most offered a much big selection of game play and graphics... this game to me is somewhat crude compared to plenty of other star wars titles (knights of the old Republic was the best game of all time so if you ever get angry at this game, go play that.) That being said, it is enjoyable.

I understand how micro transactions work, it's actually a smart business model that I admire for its effectiveness.. it limits you from just binge playing through it by offering ever-growing content, different types of challenges and modes to keep you logging in throughout the day. So, naturally you do want to play more and have new characters, because it's star wars and there is some people you can't go without.. and they knew the drop rates would make it somewhat difficult for you to just get every character, so again business savvy to recognize that some are impatient with an endless flow of money. So yes, with the extra money it makes sense that they will allow you to bypass timers and get exclusive characters (and I mean exclusive like you get him first), but obviously ea is going to want to release the content to others.. because even though that lower tier may not be dropping over 1000, they are still customers and they still make up a good portion of their fan base. Let's say they KEPT all these characters exclusive, a lower tier guy may be a huge fan of qgj and say 'we'll if I'm never going to get qgj then I'm gonna stop playing' then they just effectively lost a customer. So you can't cater just to either side, it's got to be a balance

And honestly, how could any of you complain about a chromium becoming aquirable? Like is the point of this game not to be good at it for you guys? It's like somebody complaining In a game of chess that the other player has all the pieces to work with like you do. The money granted you early access and what more did you think? At the end of the day everyone should have access to the same pieces. Its a handicapped game of chess otherwise. People paying are already getting an advantage , and even though someone was released, you guys are WAY ahead with him at 7 stars and stuff.

It's like the kid at the bowling alley who's mad we took the bumpers off lol..