Rogue One: not good

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    SCPD wrote: »
    Dude you probably just personally don't know how to appreciate this movie. It's a GREAT movie! It's sad, but great(I don't mean sad is great, lol)! It's so classic, so Star-Wars-style!
    It is sad. Its sad that people think that a movie thats "darker" is automatically far superior to a fun adventure movie, even when "dark" in this case just means grey, bland, boring, and emotionless.
  • Options
    R1was awesome, prequels were awesome, OT is kind of meh because it's just dated but the remastering has helped. TFA just plain garbage
  • Options
    Besides Jyn made the whole movie... total hottie in my opinion
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Mike1980 wrote: »
    R1was awesome, prequels were awesome, OT is kind of meh because it's just dated but the remastering has helped. TFA just plain garbage
    dated? They built actual sets, actual costumes, and actual ships that the actors can see and touch. You can go to a museum and see a stormtrooper helmet or see the models they used for the AT-AT walkers. The prequels look like a 3-D version of Who Framed Mr Rabbit or Space Jam; the actors are just walking around in a cartoon they cant interact with. The special edition and other "remasters" of the OT were offensive for trying to do the same with the OT.
  • SCPD
    73 posts Member
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    It is sad. Its sad that people think that a movie thats "darker" is automatically far superior to a fun adventure movie, even when "dark" in this case just means grey, bland, boring, and emotionless.

Well, it's true, the movie is dark and grey which makes people feel bad after watching it. This movie will be even better if with a better ending.
  • Options
    This movie was awesome! I thought jyn was smoking hot in it, in the girl next door kind of way of course.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    This movie was awesome! I thought jyn was smoking hot in it, in the girl next door kind of way of course.

What a mature and thoughtful way to critique a movie
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options

She was sexii tho.
  • Options
    Rogue One is the worst Star Wars movie. The characters were bland and boring. Characters in TFA were well written and their acting is good while R1 characters made me cringe. Oh, remember when people are saying R1 was better than TFA? Now R1 has lower reviews and ratings than TFA.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    Rogue One is the worst Star Wars movie. The characters were bland and boring. Characters in TFA were well written and their acting is good while R1 characters made me cringe. Oh, remember when people are saying R1 was better than TFA? Now R1 has lower reviews and ratings than TFA.

Bland and boring is your personal point of view. I view Rogue One far superior to Force Awakens, simply because it was an original story, whereas Force Awakens was almost shot for shot A New Hope.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Velocitious
    276 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »

Bland and boring is your personal point of view. I view Rogue One far superior to Force Awakens, simply because it was an original story, whereas Force Awakens was almost shot for shot A New Hope.

You're saying Rogue One didn't copy from the OT.

At the start of the movie where Cassian shoots his friend in the back while wearing a very similar jacket. Obviously it's the Han shot first scene.

The final battle was just a recreation of the last battle in Return of the Jedi. Admiral Raddus leads a space assault on the Empire so his ground team can knock out a force field.

The scene where K2SO distracting stormtroopers and then knocks them out while Cassian and Jyn are trying to find the plans in the other room is very very similar to the scene where Han and Luke were trying to impersonate as stormtroopers in the Death Star.

The last scene of the movie when the rebels were running around the ship and lining up to face an assault from Darth Vader. It's 1 million times a recreation of the first scene in New Hope but only this time it's Vader doing the job instead of the stormtroopers.

At least TFA characters are not so boring unlike R1.
  • SCPD
    73 posts Member
    Options

It doesn't matter if you like it, it's still a good movie. If you don't believe it, go ask the other billions of people.
  • SCPD
    73 posts Member
    Options

I had the same felling, the story are ridiculously similar, just the new visions of everything. But I quite enjoy it though, overall a awesome movie.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

Its fine if you liked the characters in rogue one, but TFA objectively did more to set their's up and actually spent time introducing them. Just about everything we know about the characters in Rogue One is told to the audience through expositional dialogue instead of showing the audience who they are.
  • Options

Its fine if you liked the characters in rogue one, but TFA objectively did more to set their's up and actually spent time introducing them. Just about everything we know about the characters in Rogue One is told to the audience through expositional dialogue instead of showing the audience who they are.

Exactly. Rogue One characters are forgettable due to their lack of personality unlike TFA.
  • Options

Exactly. Rogue One characters are forgettable due to their lack of personality unlike TFA.
    Well, TFA characters are meant to be around for another 2 movies, vs R1 characters are meant to be expendable and never to be heard from again, outside of supplementary material.

I enjoyed R1 more than TFA. Even though TFA had "my" characters mixed in with the new. Compared to R1 which had new expendables mixed in with a few prequel characters, along with a sprinkling of OT characters.

I guess I'm one of those who love the OT period, the height and fall of the Empire. Not the origin and rise. Pretty much anything involving "classic" Stormtroopers, X-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE Fighters, and Imperial I & II Star Destroyers.

So Rebels and Rogue One fit in well with me. Though if Rogue One had used a few old and rusted Clone Wars and Ep 3 ships during the battle, it would have been better...to me, and maybe only me.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    DarthLucaz wrote: »
    My turn. Thus was the first star wars movie made for a mature audience. Oh you can say Revenge of the Sith because it had the PG-13 rating but really thats what it was a teen's movie. All 8 theatrical releases have been for the younger audiences. None of the films before Rogue One were geared specifically to older fans. This one is. Here are five reasons why I think Rogue one is great:
    1. It reinforces why the first Star Wars was one of the most significant releases of all time. This movie was made from one line in A New Hope's opening Scroll. "The first victory of the rebellion". So going into the movie I expected a real battle. None of the silly skirmishes like we see in Rebels cartoon but a real battle. And they delivered. The shot where we fly in inside the cockpit of an xwing was a phenominal sequence. The explosions werent overkill as in TFA and there was a real sense of urgency in the mission. It did all this without relying on nostalgia.
    2. The characters. Oh you can complain about the setup which was quick but tasteful or the fact they all bit the dust, but this isn't your typical star wars film. This is a black ops mission. Unsanctioned. If you went in expecting characters to survive you only have yourself to blame for that disappointment. The main character is the rebellion not the individuals. And we see just how close she came to dying before her first big triumph. This movie has a similar feel to Saving Private Ryan. Where private Ryan is the death star plans.
    3. No plot holes. Try. I mean it. There arent any. You can nitpick but there is explinations for any supposed plot holes people have proposed. I have yet to see one plot hole that cannot be debunked. They created a seemless story. A New Hope just became a 5hour movie, with Luke's story beginning in the middle.
    4. No ewoks or Jar Jar or whiny halfsith - every character makes sense. There are no bad ones. And no overacting. It was well written and well scripted. Even the cameos by certain cantina chaps and a couple Rebels characters were tasteful rather than relying on nostalgia. Each alien was well crafted. Us lucky folk playing swgoh know Bistans name. Speaking of, how cool were those U-wings? Reminded me of the first time I saw a B-wing open its foils.
    5. It was made for us. The 25-60+ crowd. They called a rebel an extremist. Another rebel took the life of an informant. It expanded the view of the rebellion for many folk who had never thought the rebellion could be anything but good. But just as the Jedi accepted slavery(clones) to try and do good, the rebellion at times must do evil to defeat greater evil. Not everyone can be Jedi Luke.

I'd like to here specific reasons why you dislike the film. I think it belongs with A new Hope and Empire strikes back as top 3.

F*****g A brother!!!! Completely agree!

I am 35 years old and been a fan of star wars since I took my first breath! Rogue One was an awesome movie in it's own right - the nostalgia only enhanced that for me.

The OP talks about ATATs being iconic - yes they are, so the movie actually gave people what they wanted to see. That shot on the beach with the ATAT shooting at rebels in the trailer sent shivers down my spine to see this movie because it was gonna be epic and it was.

What new things could the movie have done in place of the ATAT - people are familiar with the ATAT, so when Baze tells Chirrut to run - they darn well run and we as audiences know why.

What other option was there other than the ATAT - a new Imperial super tank/weapon that is never seen in the rest of the Civil War? That movie (Rogue One) was not just an era in the story but was an era in time for itself and was consistent with what technology was used and available - great stuff!

I thought the characters were introduced quickly, but got to like all of them pretty well. Many people actually say that one of the characters was one of the best things about that movie (K2SO). I personally found that the force willing Chirrut to allow him to flip that switch was great. And I was sad for Cassian and Jyn holding each other on the beach unable to escape their death, forever getting closer in the horizon - very impactful.

Baze's death is the only death I thought was rushed and careless.

This was a fantastic movie that explored different ways in which a star wars movie could be told and did so in a great way that supported the overall saga.
  • Sticare_Courts_0073
    1916 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just noticed I forgot to reply to this thread long long ago. No hard feelings @DatBoi :smiley:

At least now I can say, after careful consideration, that I liked both TFA and R1 as a movie. I was one of the people to immediately defend TFA so it's only fair to say it might be the better of the two new movies so far. Honestly, I'd rate them both just below ESB (obviously).

EDIT: wooopsies, I wasn't paying attention there :hushed:
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just noticed I forgot to reply to this thread long long ago. No hard feelings @DatBoi :smiley:

At least now I can say, after careful consideration, that I liked both TFA and R1 as a movie. I was one of the people to immediately defend TFA so it's only fair to say it might be the better of the two new movies so far. Honestly, I'd rate them both just below ESB (obviously).

If anything, one could argue that TFA added nothing new to the saga, when compared against Rogue One -
    * conflict of FO/Empire against Rebel/Resistance over/on a desert planet Jakuu/Tattoine
    * lone droid escapes with plans/map to death star/Luke
    * which falls into the hands of a local: Rey/Luke
    * Escapes of world - away from FO/Empire with Han & Chewie in Falcon
    * Has a scene in cantina/Maz's Castle - with assortment of aliens
    * Heroine: Rey/Leia gets captured and taken to death star/starkiller base
    * * Strike team sneaks onto space station for rescue
    * Old man is killed by lightsaber Han/Obi Wan - witnessed by hero Rey/Luke
    * Rebels/Resistance attack said base and blow it up

So what was new about TFA? - plenty was new with R1 by comparison.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Boo wrote: »

If anything, one could argue that TFA added nothing new to the saga, when compared against Rogue One -
    * conflict of FO/Empire against Rebel/Resistance over/on a desert planet Jakuu/Tattoine

Recycling familiar plot tropes isn't the same as not "adding to the saga". Unlike Rogue One, the best parts of TFA weren't things we'd already seen before. The best parts of TFA were the new characters, the sense of adventure, the humor, the passion. Rogue One lacked all of that.

The "best parts" of Rogue One involved taking stuff from the OT and making them look cool with modern film technology (actions scenes with AT ATs, X-wings, Darth Vader, etc) or making us think about the beginning of a new hope (the whole last sequence. Im not saying those aspects of Rogue One were bad, or its wrong to like them, but its very disappointing to me that those were the best parts of the movie.

Any movie nowadays can look pretty and have big explosions, but star wars has always been above that with it's characters, tone, and sense of adventure. Thats why people like myself hate the prequels and strongly dislike Rogue One, because they lose sight of that core. They become shallow eye candy thats difficult to connect to because no effort is put into crafting relatable characters
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options

I always got the sense TFA was a carbon copy of A New Hope, but that is just crazy.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    Hey, nobody asked me, so I'll chime in and say that TFA and RO were the best things since ESB. Sorry you didn't like them OP, but you're wrong.

Did RO borrow some elements from ANH? Absolutely. They did this on purpose to tie it in with the beginning of ANH. You already know this, so why it bothers you is boggling.

TFA was essentially the same story as ANH, and that's why it falls a little flat. Yeah it was too predictable because we veterans have already seen the story, but it was well done for what it was. It would be nice if they could make a good Star Wars movie that did not feature planet-killing doomsday weapons as the main plot device, but hey, it has worked for James Bond a million times. ESB did not have a doomsday weapon and was the best of the franchise.

Anyway, I'm just happy there are better quality SW films being made these days.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Hey, nobody asked me, so I'll chime in and say that TFA and RO were the best things since ESB. Sorry you didn't like them OP, but you're wrong.

Did RO borrow some elements from ANH? Absolutely. They did this on purpose to tie it in with the beginning of ANH. You already know this, so why it bothers you is boggling.

TFA was essentially the same story as ANH, and that's why it falls a little flat. Yeah it was too predictable because we veterans have already seen the story, but it was well done for what it was. It would be nice if they could make a good Star Wars movie that did not feature planet-killing doomsday weapons as the main plot device, but hey, it has worked for James Bond a million times. ESB did not have a doomsday weapon and was the best of the franchise.

Anyway, I'm just happy there are better quality SW films being made these days.

My issue isn't that Rogue One had the same stuff as the OT. Obviously thats to be expected due to the relative time period. The problem was that that was all that was memorable and entertaining about the movie. We never saw anything that told us what these characters are like or why they do the things they do. And because of that, its hard to feel emotionally invested in anything that was happening.

Some people say that the characters weren't developed because that wasn't the point of the movie. Either because its a "war movie" and war movies apparently dont have engaging relatable characters, or because they all die in the end so "whats the point?" Well their deaths are all pointless because they all die alone and we dont care about any of them.

I think its tragic if people are ok with star wars movies without relatable, consistently written characters with personality.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options

Recycling familiar plot tropes isn't the same as not "adding to the saga". Unlike Rogue One, the best parts of TFA weren't things we'd already seen before. The best parts of TFA were the new characters, the sense of adventure, the humor, the passion. Rogue One lacked all of that.

The "best parts" of Rogue One involved taking stuff from the OT and making them look cool with modern film technology (actions scenes with AT ATs, X-wings, Darth Vader, etc) or making us think about the beginning of a new hope (the whole last sequence. Im not saying those aspects of Rogue One were bad, or its wrong to like them, but its very disappointing to me that those were the best parts of the movie.

Any movie nowadays can look pretty and have big explosions, but star wars has always been above that with it's characters, tone, and sense of adventure. Thats why people like myself hate the prequels and strongly dislike Rogue One, because they lose sight of that core. They become shallow eye candy thats difficult to connect to because no effort is put into crafting relatable characters

* Recycling stuff we've seen before isn't the same as not adding to the saga - well your certainly not adding anything new if its been seen before???
    * Best parts of TFA were new characters (like Luke, Han, Leia, 3P0, R2???)
    * New characters and likeable characters were established in R1 (K2SO, Krenik etc.) as well as the prequel trilogy (Dooku, Jango Fett, Darth Maul etc etc)
    * Sense of adventure - I think you will find this in all star wars movies
    * Passion - R1 had plenty of that: passionate about sense of urgency to mission, passion about star wars franchize, local, technology, characters
    * Humor - K2SO, also a blindfold on a blind man to mention but a few.
    * Yes they used familiar technology - ATATs, Xwings and Ties, because that was what was being used by the rebels and empire in that time era - they couldn't possibly have totally new ships/tech etc. It wouldn't be right. However there were new ships introduced: Uwing, Rogue 1/supply ship and Krenik's ship, not to mention new imperial units - K2SO type droid, Shoretrooper and death trooper
    * The fact that Rogue 1 lined up beautifully with the beginning of a New Hope was also fantastic and unexpected. People were concerned wheat Disney would do with a stand alone movie set in the middle of the saga - it covered all plot holes, stayed true to the main story arc of the saga and set up a New Hope as if the urgency now from Scarif continues on into the importance of getting R2 back into Rebel hands.

I am honestly wondering if you need to take some time and watch this again - followed by all OT movies.

I also wonder if you have actually seen Rogue 1
  • Insufferable_camper
    682 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Watch the Christmas special. Even makes the prequels become good

The Christmas special is definitely the worst thing ever produced with the STAR WARS brand.

In all seriousness thought, I really enjoyed the layered complexity of Rogue One. While it followed the story of the Rebellion, what we have always thought of as "the good" it definitely showed the moral ambiguity of it.

Saw Guerro: Someone who started out doing things for the right reasons, but was corrupted over time through fanaticism.

Cassian Andor: Devoted his life to the cause, so much so that he murdered an ally on the street for the sake of the cause. He is so broken he never stopped to consider if he had become as bad as the monstrous empire he was fighting.

The Scarif Rebels: When choosing to sneak away on their own mission, some rebel fighters decide to join the crew of Rogue One. They are described as assassins and spies who have done unspeakable things for the rebellion and there is no going back.
    Empire Relic
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options

The Christmas special is definitely the worst thing ever produced with the STAR WARS brand.

100% agree

I am a star wars nut - owning all movies, even the terrible 2 Ewok movies, but the Christmas Special is where I draw the line.
  • Options
    I feel like I'm on my own liking Galen Erso best out of the R1 characters. Unsurprisingly, one of the best actors as well, they just had to give the man more screentime.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options

100% agree

I am a star wars nut - owning all movies, even the terrible 2 Ewok movies, but the Christmas Special is where I draw the line.
    I enjoyed the 2 Ewok movies for what they were. The original Anthology movies. Considering how little special FX were required, it still felt "sci-fi" to me.

Plus the 2nd one, "Battle for Endor" had more on-screen deaths than a typical family movie.

Here's a scary thought: Would animating (or Special Edition'ing) The Christmas Special into something that looks a LOT less like crap work? Keeping some of the dialogue and live-action shots of the principle characters, but getting rid of what most people would consider the worst parts visually.

I parts I did like were:
    -Han and Chewie escaping the Star Destroyers
    -Luke working on his X-Wing
    -mini animated story

Which seriously needs to be re-animated to look more like it's part of OT timeline. Side job for Filoni?

Could it be cut up and re-done into something salvageable?
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm on my own liking Galen Erso best out of the R1 characters. Unsurprisingly, one of the best actors as well, they just had to give the man more screentime.

Although I did not mention him - I liked him very much as well.