Rogue One: not good

12346Next

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    We've mentioned Rouge One has the greatest Star Wars scene ever right?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiaOG7ZJ80

Oh, its probably the best scene to fanboy over, but its nothing more than star wars p0r. N
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    I think this proves my previous point. The people who liked rogue one didnt like it for what it added to the star wars universe. They just liked seeing old stuff with new updated visuals.
    For me, that's partly true.

My post you quoted was supposed to be longer, but I cut down from a lot more text.

True, I WANTED to see "old stuff with new updated visuals". The film gave me enough of what I wanted.

I also went into the movie spoiler-free (aka avoided many threads in various message boards), and only watched 3 trailers. I wanted to be surprised.

I would like to add that I also liked:
    -Vader's castle
    -Tarkin showing up, I had no clue he was going to be in it, thought Krennic was going to be the only primary villain
    -Red and Gold Leader, totally blown away when I realized it was really them
    -Senator Organa's brief appearance
    -The Ghost showing up more than the once. I thought that one from the trailer was the extent of the Easter Egg
    -nod to the prequel with the use of a Clone Wars Turbo Tank
    -the Imperial base at Scarif, the design and interior were great, though the "claw machine" mechanism to store the plans made my chuckle
    -laughed at Red 5's death, and said to myself "Yep, I know who's going to replace him."
    -felt that it was cool that Cassian was also a sniper, the last one we had was Zam from Ep 2
    -obviously Tantive IV and Leia

As for the new additions to the Star Wars Universe, we didn't see too much of the many planets we had to be at. It was hard to get attached to most of the planets we saw, previous movies did a better job, IMO. My thoughts:
    -Kafrene-didn't care too much about it
    -Eadu-liked the landscape, but the rainy weather made it look less cool to me
    -Kafrene-loved the look, and wanted to see more exterior shots
    -Wobani-wanted to see more of the prison camp
    -Jedha-seemed a bit too barren for me, would have expected it be have more temples and statues. Granted they might have been wiped out by the Empire over the past 20 years
    -Yavin IV-duh. I got to see more of the base, no way this would have been bad
    -Scarif-seems a bit off to me. Sure it looks like a paradise, but it didn't seem well fortified for the purpose of the base. I guess they relied heavily on the shield gate. At least with Eadu, the base was difficult to get to.

Dang it, another lengthy post.

Also, why did you quote my post and post a video? What was I supposed to get out of their video (I didn't watch it).
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    I think this proves my previous point. The people who liked rogue one didnt like it for what it added to the star wars universe. They just liked seeing old stuff with new updated visuals.
    For me, that's partly true.

My post you quoted was supposed to be longer, but I cut down from a lot more text.

True, I WANTED to see "old stuff with new updated visuals". The film gave me enough of what I wanted.

I also went into the movie spoiler-free (aka avoided many threads in various message boards), and only watched 3 trailers. I wanted to be surprised.

I would like to add that I also liked:
    -Vader's castle
    -Tarkin showing up, I had no clue he was going to be in it, thought Krennic was going to be the only primary villain
    -Red and Gold Leader, totally blown away when I realized it was really them
    -Senator Organa's brief appearance
    -The Ghost showing up more than the once. I thought that one from the trailer was the extent of the Easter Egg
    -nod to the prequel with the use of a Clone Wars Turbo Tank
    -the Imperial base at Scarif, the design and interior were great, though the "claw machine" mechanism to store the plans made my chuckle
    -laughed at Red 5's death, and said to myself "Yep, I know who's going to replace him."
    -felt that it was cool that Cassian was also a sniper, the last one we had was Zam from Ep 2
    -obviously Tantive IV and Leia

As for the new additions to the Star Wars Universe, we didn't see too much of the many planets we had to be at. It was hard to get attached to most of the planets we saw, previous movies did a better job, IMO. My thoughts:
    -Kafrene-didn't care too much about it
    -Eadu-liked the landscape, but the rainy weather made it look less cool to me
    -Kafrene-loved the look, and wanted to see more exterior shots
    -Wobani-wanted to see more of the prison camp
    -Jedha-seemed a bit too barren for me, would have expected it be have more temples and statues. Granted they might have been wiped out by the Empire over the past 20 years
    -Yavin IV-duh. I got to see more of the base, no way this would have been bad
    -Scarif-seems a bit off to me. Sure it looks like a paradise, but it didn't seem well fortified for the purpose of the base. I guess they relied heavily on the shield gate. At least with Eadu, the base was difficult to get to.

Dang it, another lengthy post.

Also, why did you quote my post and post a video? What was I supposed to get out of their video (I didn't watch it).

Its a parody of the people who get super excited over pointless fan service and "stuff". It's nothing against you personally, but your post reminded me of it.

Its not a long video. I think its less than three minutes.
  • Options

I can watch a 10 hour version and not get bored
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Options
    This scene. The one that people would recognize if they didn't see the movie. Isn't in the movie.

rehost%2F2016%2F9%2F14%2F785596d9-1ef8-41ec-85ee-22d6480a50b6.jpg
    #ROBAD
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options

Hahaha - I loved this scene!!!

I wouldn't necessarily say it was the best scene in any star wars movie - but it is certainly right up there!

Because we were lightsaber starved through most of the movie and were not able to really see Darth Vader in "action" in any previous movie, this scene was enough to put shivers down the spine!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @DatBoi

I hear what you are saying but the fact is that:

* Rogue One had the same ships as the OT, because that was it's era. Just as ESB and ROTJ had ships used in ANH - Tie Fighters, Xwings and Imperial Star Destroyers etc. They also introduced new ships - Rebel Hammerhead Frigate (as seen in Rebels), Ghost (as seen in Rebels) Uwing and Tie Reaper and Krenik's shuttle. The ATATs used in Rogue One were actually ATCT rather than ATAT. The ATCT stands for All Terrain Cargo Transport, which lacked the better armour to its ATAT counterpart, which explained why it was destroyed more easily.
    * Characters were lacking in Rogue One - I'll grant you that. However some, I believe, were very memorable. Particularly Krenik and K2SO. K2SO was the humour of the movie and carried that forward throughout the movie just as well as any other character has in any star wars movie. Krenik was also great (what a great actor - especially if you watch Bloodlines on Netflix) - Krenik is the bad guy you love to hate.
    * Like I say - this is Disney's first Star Wars Story (stand alone) movie and there will be more - they are all not going to give you the same energy that is seen when watching any of the saga movies, but rather merely compliment the saga movies (personally I have no idea how the new Han Solo movie will do that as well as Rogue One did).
    * The entire movie was something new - where it lacked jedi it gave us a story of a star wars movie mixed with mission impossible and pulled it off very well. Yes there was nostalgia in there to remind everyone that they are still watching Star Wars. It showed how ruthless both the Empire and Rebellion could be - again, something that the OT lacked somewhat.

Although I loved TFA - I was ultimately disappointed that it was a basic rehash of ANH - for what it did do that was different and new it was fantastic. Rogue One was all new - New Characters, some new ships and tech and a story never seen before in any star wars movie.

For what Rogue One was - it was quite brilliant.

But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am sure there are many that agree with everything you are saying, but ultimately it was a successful movie. Enough people saw it and liked it that it was a success in the box office and Disney are speeding toward a release of the next Star Wars Story movie - Han Solo, so Rogue One must have done something right.

• KaosZman
    21 posts Member
    Options
    DarthLucaz wrote: »
    My turn. Thus was the first star wars movie made for a mature audience. Oh you can say Revenge of the Sith because it had the PG-13 rating but really thats what it was a teen's movie. All 8 theatrical releases have been for the younger audiences. None of the films before Rogue One were geared specifically to older fans. This one is. Here are five reasons why I think Rogue one is great:
    1. It reinforces why the first Star Wars was one of the most significant releases of all time. This movie was made from one line in A New Hope's opening Scroll. "The first victory of the rebellion". So going into the movie I expected a real battle. None of the silly skirmishes like we see in Rebels cartoon but a real battle. And they delivered. The shot where we fly in inside the cockpit of an xwing was a phenominal sequence. The explosions werent overkill as in TFA and there was a real sense of urgency in the mission. It did all this without relying on nostalgia.
    2. The characters. Oh you can complain about the setup which was quick but tasteful or the fact they all bit the dust, but this isn't your typical star wars film. This is a black ops mission. Unsanctioned. If you went in expecting characters to survive you only have yourself to blame for that disappointment. The main character is the rebellion not the individuals. And we see just how close she came to dying before her first big triumph. This movie has a similar feel to Saving Private Ryan. Where private Ryan is the death star plans.
    3. No plot holes. Try. I mean it. There arent any. You can nitpick but there is explinations for any supposed plot holes people have proposed. I have yet to see one plot hole that cannot be debunked. They created a seemless story. A New Hope just became a 5hour movie, with Luke's story beginning in the middle.
    4. No ewoks or Jar Jar or whiny halfsith - every character makes sense. There are no bad ones. And no overacting. It was well written and well scripted. Even the cameos by certain cantina chaps and a couple Rebels characters were tasteful rather than relying on nostalgia. Each alien was well crafted. Us lucky folk playing swgoh know Bistans name. Speaking of, how cool were those U-wings? Reminded me of the first time I saw a B-wing open its foils.
    5. It was made for us. The 25-60+ crowd. They called a rebel an extremist. Another rebel took the life of an informant. It expanded the view of the rebellion for many folk who had never thought the rebellion could be anything but good. But just as the Jedi accepted slavery(clones) to try and do good, the rebellion at times must do evil to defeat greater evil. Not everyone can be Jedi Luke.

I'd like to here specific reasons why you dislike the film. I think it belongs with A new Hope and Empire strikes back as top 3.

Nail. Head. Boom. Great run-down and I couldn't agree more. This film was amazing. And that Darth Vader scene, ooh, I rewound and watched it like a dozen times.