Anyone else cringe at all the "Z" character names

Replies

• Options
    Carbonari wrote: »
    Supercat wrote: »
    Brek wrote: »
    Maul Maul, bo-baul, bananafanna-fo faul, ze-zi-zo Zaul, Maul.

Bo-selecta.

The show never made its way to this side of the Atlantic, for which I guess I should be grateful? I'm told.

That said, it does sound like a Star Wars name.

Just want to point out a period should be used instead of a question mark because it is phrased as a statement even though it wants a response.
    When writing online it's often helpful to use punctuation that may not be technically correct in order to convey tone, thereby enhancing communication. Examples of this would be the use of italics, ellipses, or all caps. It is similar to the concept of writing dialogue "as it sounds" as opposed to how the same concept would be conveyed otherwise.
    In addition, the cadence (at least in my head) sounded more Yiddish, for which a question mark would be appropriate (at least tonally).
    If I admonished everyone on their punctuation and use of passive voice in a conversation I wouldn't be too much fun at parties. Finally, I'm not handing in these message board comments to be graded. My intent was clear. That said, please feel free to call me out on these things, as I may not be aware of them in spite of my English degree.

I guess that makes sense.
    In my head it sounds like a statement with a question attached to it weirdly and it drives me crazy.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Laz
    190 posts Member
    Options
    Do you know when they are going to stop with the Z names?

Zugust.
  • Options
    Laz wrote: »
    Do you know when they are going to stop with the Z names?

Zugust.

Is Zugust like August but in the year 2017 in whatever is after AD? (Like BC, AD/CE)
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    Brek wrote: »
    Maul Maul, bo-baul, bananafanna-fo faul, ze-zi-zo Zaul, Maul.

Bo-selecta.

The show never made its way to this side of the Atlantic, for which I guess I should be grateful? I'm told.

That said, it does sound like a Star Wars name.

Just want to point out a period should be used instead of a question mark because it is phrased as a statement even though it wants a response.
    When writing online it's often helpful to use punctuation that may not be technically correct in order to convey tone, thereby enhancing communication. Examples of this would be the use of italics, ellipses, or all caps. It is similar to the concept of writing dialogue "as it sounds" as opposed to how the same concept would be conveyed otherwise.
    In addition, the cadence (at least in my head) sounded more Yiddish, for which a question mark would be appropriate (at least tonally).
    If I admonished everyone on their punctuation and use of passive voice in a conversation I wouldn't be too much fun at parties. Finally, I'm not handing in these message board comments to be graded. My intent was clear. That said, please feel free to call me out on these things, as I may not be aware of them in spite of my English degree.

I guess that makes sense.
    In my head it sounds like a statement with a question attached to it weirdly and it drives me crazy.

Imagine a little up-turn at the end. Imagine Billy Crystal as Miracle Max in The Princess Bride. That's how it sounded in my head; on message boards and in chat, I tend to write how I speak.
  • Options
    Just like @Carbonari has elegantly established, this thread, or any forum post for that matter, is not a peer reviewed article. Typos or short-type used for speed, as long as the message is conveyed, is not a big deal.

Zader vs zVader really is trivial. When more and more zetas are introduced, the need to differentiate with a 'z' or 'Z' will not matter. It will be assumed when discussing top levels. We don't talk about omega upgrades anymore so I expect the same to happen to zeta upgrades.
  • Options
    Nebulous wrote: »
    Just like @Carbonari has elegantly established, this thread, or any forum post for that matter, is not a peer reviewed article. Typos or short-type used for speed, as long as the message is conveyed, is not a big deal.

Zader vs zVader really is trivial. When more and more zetas are introduced, the need to differentiate with a 'z' or 'Z' will not matter. It will be assumed when discussing top levels. We don't talk about omega upgrades anymore so I expect the same to happen to zeta upgrades.

why do we need to differentiate now?? i don't care if you have a vader or a vader with zeta. makes no difference to me.

sounds like maybe people want to look impressive with there zeta's

by the way i have vader PERIOD.
  • Options
    spotremix wrote: »

why do we need to differentiate now?? i don't care if you have a vader or a vader with zeta. makes no difference to me.

I believe it's a carry over from when zetas first launched. It was unique to have a character with the zeta upgrade. Now that those materials have been out for a couple months, I agree, it should be assumed at the upper levels of pvp/pve.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

do you have a zeta on your vader?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Vader does not equal zVader or Zader or w/e. The power differnece means they are two totally seperate toons. Zeta's are so hard to acquire, it's important to know what the person is talking about. I sure as hell don't wanna type out Zeta Vader constantly. It's a waste of time to just get a thought out there on a message board. Go back to english class if u wanna talk gooder.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

nope but when i do it will still be a vader
  • Options
    For everyone who says this, ALL arguments could be thrown right back at you :/
  • Options

And your point?
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options

it will be a zVader.
  • Options
    i don't know any zvaders or zaders in this game. but i do know if a vader.

i've never heard of a zaul but i know a maul.

there is no zarriss in star wars but there is a barriss.
  • Options
    I think it's just odd

I don't remeber hearing about Zader, but I do remember a Vader

Maybe the devs can replace all first letters with a Z: Znakin, Zoruscant Underworld Police, Zate Gunray, Zeneral Kenobi

Not too hard I bet

Edir: I know it stands for a character that has a zeta, but is zeta maul that time consuming to type?

...everyone knows it would be called General Zenobi if he got a zeta
  • Options
    FN55378008 wrote: »
    I think it's just odd

I don't remeber hearing about Zader, but I do remember a Vader

Maybe the devs can replace all first letters with a Z: Znakin, Zoruscant Underworld Police, Zate Gunray, Zeneral Kenobi

Not too hard I bet

Edir: I know it stands for a character that has a zeta, but is zeta maul that time consuming to type?

...everyone knows it would be called General Zenobi if he got a zeta

sorry there is no general zenobi. you got the wrong game and universe.

this game has a general kenobi though. maybe he's similar to the character you are referring to?
  • Options
    It all began with Wiggs...
  • Options
    wiggs is old school and boring.
  • Options

Ur dad wears wiggs.
  • Options
    Mullato wrote: »

Ur dad wears wiggs.

naw he's pretty bald and proud of it. lol

• OneWorldAway
    545 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Zooku bro
  • Options
    Zooku bro

is that the guy from raiders of the lost ark??

• Options
    He from avatar.
  • Options
    Winstar wrote: »
    All hello breaks loose when Zam Wessell gets a zeta

a9018968c018a2503a94d5c8b844871c.gif

Haha Zam Zessell
  • Options
    and zam zessell is from the simpsons i assume??
  • Options
    This thread is so fun to read xD
    This is a signature.
  • Options
    so what character is xD and where is it from??
  • Options
    Zzzzzzz

Am

?
  • Options
    I am looking forward to the point in the future where if someone mentions a character with zetas everyone assumes they are already zeta-ed