Let's talk New Player Experience

Replies

• Options
    I have been playing this game for maybe 4-6 months (I think more towards 6?) The only big problem I'm having right now is that I'm frantically trying to farm hera (After farming a bunch of other characters from cantina) And I am severely lacking in mods. I know I can take a break from farming characters to get mods but with thrawn probably around the corner i can't waste the time. Besides that this game seems sort of friendly to new players. And I mean I could just avoid the legendary events if I wasn't so got to catch them all!
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »
    Saraleb wrote: »
    But agree 100% to start a new account now you have no chance to compete.. such an amazing divide between long term players and newbies simply cause of the requirements to get the OP toons..

Compete with whom though? Why do you think that you should immediately be able to compete with long term players or have everything they have, and in what game modes are you actually worried about competing with them anyway? Arenas are divided by start date, so you don't see those older players, and those are the only modes in which you are directly competing with anybody.

TBH, I don't really see how it's any harder to be a new player now than it was before. And, new players immediately benefit from QoL upgrades that long term players had to suffer without, such as having challenges give the lower gear at higher levels (no more choosing between carbantis and keypads or syringes and droid callers), more low cost refreshes, 5 hard node attemps, guaranteed mod drops, etc.

Agree 100% - you are paired with similar aged players and new players now are significantly better off than players that started at hard launch in Nov 2015.
  • Options
    Good post. Well thought out. I agree with pretty much all your points OP.
  • Options
    But agree 100% to start a new account now you have no chance to compete.. such an amazing divide between long term players and newbies simply cause of the requirements to get the OP toons..

Compete with whom though? Why do you think that you should immediately be able to compete with long term players or have everything they have, and in what game modes are you actually worried about competing with them anyway? Arenas are divided by start date, so you don't see those older players, and those are the only modes in which you are directly competing with anybody.

TBH, I don't really see how it's any harder to be a new player now than it was before. And, new players immediately benefit from QoL upgrades that long term players had to suffer without, such as having challenges give the lower gear at higher levels (no more choosing between carbantis and keypads or syringes and droid callers), more low cost refreshes, 5 hard node attemps, guaranteed mod drops, etc.

Agree 100% - you are paired with similar aged players and new players now are significantly better off than players that started at hard launch in Nov 2015.
    The upper end of Galactic War, just prior to breaking nodes, is still pretty much a disaster in contrast though. Especially considering the growing divide between the effectiveness of the strongest possible arena teams and the average new(er) player who's tasked with fighting them.
  • Options
    I've often that the amount of new content would be majorly overwhelming to a new player. I'd love the time to start an alt account, just to experience everything again.
    On a related note, in an interview, @CG_JohnSalera said he creates a new account and plays them FTP up to level 85 on a regular basis.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options

+1 I agree with this sentiment. If anything, the experience of new players coming into the game is much improved over what it was when many of us "grizzled veterans" experienced - in large part, thanks to all of our "beta-testing" ;) There are credit heists, free characters (capital ship pilots) handed out, more events (and they occur on a regular basis with know requirements!).

In fact, I would suggest that the only "issue" for new players is the vast amount of choices. The fact that the level cap is high and there are many more things to "aim" for (TB, heroic raids, high level events) is a good thing, not a detriment. Seems to me, it suggests to the new player that there will be plenty of game to play for a good long time.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    JaggedJ wrote: »
    DarthSalsa wrote: »
    F2P new player rute
    1-farm pheonix(hera,zeb,chopper,kannan and sabine)
    2-farm st han for arena old ben cantina, **** gw, boba cantina store
    3-farm 2 empire vader palpatine thraw are free you need 2 more
    4- farm ships

I really don't get the "farm phoenix first" route. I realise it's for Thrawn (and to a lesser extent Palp) but imo there's more pressing matters for a new f2p player than just getting thrawn.

Ezra would be in my top 10 early farm characters for f2p but not the other phoenix.

As far as "best advice" for new players, usefulness is key.

Phoenix - GW, thrawn, and TB. Maybe even LS missions
    - Ezra - solid in a jedi or rebel team

That has a high degree of usefulness IMO.

• Options
    To new players, always scoundrel first, I realised it after 2 months since I started to play and still regret not farm them first.
  • Options

Right? How about the only way to get shards was from farming hard nodes? I farmed Rey and FOTP strictly through hard nodes. There were no shipments.

Seems to me that it is easier and easier to get a team up and going, garnering more characters and leveling them faster and faster.

• Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    F2P new player rute
    4- farm ships

I really don't get the "farm phoenix first" route. I realise it's for Thrawn (and to a lesser extent Palp) but imo there's more pressing matters for a new f2p player than just getting thrawn.

Ezra would be in my top 10 early farm characters for f2p but not the other phoenix.

I agree. My g8 Phoneix team can breeze through my first 5 GW nodes (at node 6, I get g12 CLS teams - so that doesn't work as well).

The fact that Kanan and Ezra can double as Jedi to help unlock Yoda is also good utlity. It's similar to having STHan and Lando who are both scoundrels for credit heist and Rebels for Palp.

Early in the game, characters that help in multiple ways/areas are worth their weight in credits. All of the above certainly fit that description.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Dryff wrote: »
    Legendary Characters should ALWAYS be available to unlock. You shouldn't have to wait until the event pops up for it.

This would be a great improvement to this game. Could even be a new holotable, separate from the credit heist and other events that earn gear and resources.
    One thing that can be said for new players is they better not start out with any expectations. For example, if you want a team of Luke Skywalker with a lightsaber, BB8, Han Solo, Thrawn, and a cool Kenobi that isn't the OT version, you better be prepared to play daily for six months or so before you can even have a hope at a few of those characters (and that's if you're lucky enough to be prepared when the events randomly pop up).

And this pretty much sums up why most of my friends - even those who have spent $1,000 or more - are leaving this game. In truth, there are *MUCH* better squad combat games out there from a game balance and game mechanic standpoint. What separates this game is the Star Wars license. Having only a few characters to choose from, and having to wait months or years before you can get the squad you want hurts this game tremendously. It won't kill long-time players if newer players could get a 3* Palpatine or Vadar. It doesn't matter if old-timers had to wait longer. As noted, the only competitive aspect are the arenas where you are fighting people who have played a similar amount of time.

• Options
    PSA - How is it that on the forums of a Star Wars game for fans of the series, most people don’t know how to spell the name of the series main antagonist and one of the most iconic movie characters of all time?

It’s Vader, folks. V-A-D-E-R.

Sorry to interrupt. This is a good conversation.
  • Ciomagaru
    41 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Guys what do you say if the next time you go eat dinner out the chef brings you only half of what you ordered? And if you're for any reason unsatisfied with the service, all the other customers around you take turns to defend the chef and inform you that is the first time you come to eat there, why do you ask for a full plate, you should be happy you got half of it.

I want to have access to all content, all events and all chars and experience all aspects of the game. My game activity is 100% similar to yours (veteran players) so i need to be rewarded equally. That doesn't mean free 7 stars CLS, it means:

1. early access in TB. lvl 30 - 45 players can easily experience the phase 1 and get more motivated to get stronger and do better. why wait for lvl 65?

2. access to all events. i just skiped a lvl 75 event, why is that necessary? Add some low lvl difficulty tiers and let me enjoy that event as everyone else.

3. i have no utility in heroic raids so as a low lvl player no guild needs me. finding a good TB, hAAT guild is almost impossible.

4. all veteran players have instant access to all legendary events and all new chars. maybe not all of them will 7 stars BB8, but they will all have a run to unlock him. a new player will in most cases skip that event.

5. someone said in GW we get to fight teams from ppl with the same lvl as us. WHAT? at lvl 65 my opp are fully moded gear 9, 7 stars lvl 80 teams that are at least 6 months ahead of me (remember i have 40 days in this game). I am constantly walled after the first 9 nodes. Mostly at N11 and N12.
  • Options
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    PSA - How is it that on the forums of a Star Wars game for fans of the series, most people don’t know how to spell the name of the series main antagonist and one of the most iconic movie characters of all time?

I dont think ive seen 1 person on this forum spell vader wrong, other than saying zader, which is also correct in context.
  • Options
    New Shard Shop: For a lot of lower level players, the Fleet Shipments were a great place to pick up the harder to earn gear pieces. New players do not have themselves a slew of 7* heroes with a steady income of Shard Shop currency like veteran players do, so the removal of gear from Fleet was definitely a detractor in terms of the NPE.

I have been playing since Dec '15 - this change hurt the most. I bought gear from the ship shop daily and now that has been taken away. Having options to buy gear in multiple places is better. Like stated the new population does not have a slew of 7* people, but hey even us old timers are now forced to farm the likes of Lobot, CUP, and others of the like. My Shard Shop currency has been reduced drastically, so while the Shard Shop is a ton better there has been a huge downside with the change.
    Proud Leader of The Young Apprentices
    http://swgoh.gg/u/lightsabre/
    Discord - LightSabre#6186
  • Options
    I started in Nov 2015 and I gotta say after seeing some friends start playing way after the fact that it is MUCH easier for new players than it was for me back then.

Tons and Tons of QoL improvements over the years, one big one I remember was back when we werent able to use sims for the daily challenges... you new people just dont know how tedious stuff was back then not to mention only 1x speed. Also the shops werent all connected.. you had to go to each section of the game to get to the respected shops.

I see people getting actually useful characters early on when back then you were stuck with a very select few people to choose from. Hell QGJ was a P2P char for a long time being only a chromium pull, not to mention all the character reworks that make those old crappy characters actually useful. Also the shard shop wasnt a thing at one point and getting extra shards of someone maxed out was just useless, so if you were a chromium buyer and you had alot of the characters already then there was a high chance that ur crystals/money would be a complete waste.

Also people might be a little overwhelmed with the content now, but I remember a time when you would play for 10 minutes a day tops.. and were starving for more content. Didnt have the bonus energies 3 times a day, no raids, literally only GW to look forward to each day, And worse of all was that the devs would give zero insight into what was going on, we would get random ghost updates and literally have to work together as a community to figure out what was changed or added. The devs have done a great job at rectifying this to a degree, hell I remember the 1st time we really got patch notes, it was great.

Then there was the time when the whole community had so many problems and issues that the devs were like hey, here is a thread to ask all the questions you want to know the answer to and we will come back next week with answers.. well after like 3 weeks we got answers to like 1/10th of the questions with promises of more answers to come, well... I'm still waiting on those answers lol.

You new players got alot to look and strive forward to getting and are oblivious to the dark and bronze ages we have gone through already, just be happy to be in the iron age at this point.

• Options
    PiffGuru wrote: »

I dont think ive seen 1 person on this forum spell vader wrong, other than saying zader, which is also correct in context.

Look up one post from the one you are replying to:
    It won't kill long-time players if newer players could get a 3* Palpatine or Vadar.
  • Options
    Look up one post from the one you are replying to:
    It won't kill long-time players if newer players could get a 3* Palpatine or Vadar.

Lol you got me there, I literally looked at that post twice before posting and didnt notice the typo. Im probably numb to it by now.

• Options
    Been playing since May, and what bugs me the most in this game is the forced farming paths if you want to play efficiently, and awful character balance. Mainly, this has to do with CLS. If you don't have him right now you are a **** if you aren't setting yourself up to get him...if you want to farm clones or droids or something you are just shooting yourself in the foot because those groups won't put up near the numbers a CLS team will in a raid, they aren't required for anything in TB, and won't work as well for you in arena. It would be a lot better if CLS wasn't so ridiculous and factions other than rebels got some reworks/new toons and unlocked more things so new players aren't so railroaded into what they should farm first if they don't want to put themselves at a disadvantage for many months.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    F2P new player rute
    4- farm ships

Don't disagree, but like I said, Ezra (and possibly Kanan would sneak in for his double tag) would make my top 10. The others wouldn't.

• Options
    I didnt read the whole thing cause wow was looong...

If i started playing last week i wouldnt be playing now... however i did start playing Dec 2015 and even now concerned by the cash and grab way the game is going...

CLS was a game changer.. lets face it the next op toon will be on the way (jedi rey or whatever).. its gonna get to a point there is too much to chase...

I disagree about new accounts having no chance to compete...they can compete...just not at a top tier level. No they wont finish in the top 100 everyday, no they wont get the newsest toons, no they wont finish galatic wars, no they wont get Raid Han solo and Kenobi and thats how it should be.

This game requires time and/or money if you want to get to the end faster..and thats how it should be...heck that how almost all online game are.

Maybe im being a **** here cause ive also played since December 2015. I have over 100 toons that are seven star. Ive completed over 7500 galatic war nodes. I finish in the top 10 in arena for over a year now. Ive never missed a new toon release via legendary events. I have 367 raids completed under my belt.

Basically what im saying is ive put in the time and money to get where i am at this point. And to see some newbie enter the top 10 that hasnt even completed 10 raids much less 100 galatic wars is an insult to me and others like me who have logged in multiple times a day for the past year and 10 months is nothing short of annoying.

If i have busted my rear end to get where i am and others rather the easy way to catch up...then they can do what CG/EA wants them to do....and that is spend alot of $$$$$......or be patient and grind out everything for the next 2 years just like me and countless others have done for the last almost 2 years.

Newbies shouldnt beable to compete with people that have been playing for 2 years already. And im not saying that just about this game...but "Every" online game that is available for everyone to play.

I do however agree about CLS and the next toons to come will be even stronger though. And i also agree about the cash and grab...thats definitly getting worse.
    Wanna see a trolls weak roster? Here ya go---->>>> https://swgoh.gg/u/nicwester/You've been warned.

Re: Discussion in category Forum Trash
    HardPill2Swallow
    HardPill2Swallow - December 22, 2017 2:25PM
    If you're like me and play faithfully everyday getting rank 1 constantly, working with others in your shard to not only stay competetive but also working to keep out new players from dropping your rank, then you will understand what I'm saying.

When CLS came for the first time there were a lot of new faces that entered the top 10. Now that he is coming back we will see even more climbing the ranks...not because they have a good roster, or because they are good players..but because they finally got the CLS toon they have been crying about for months. We all know how good CLS is and how he fits into any team or any part of this game.

The shard I'm in has the exact same feeling as I do: All of us don't like to see new faces. All of us have controlled the top of our arena shard for well over a year and the last thing we want is to have to share our ranks with other players, not because they are good or deserve to be in the top 10...but because they weren't good enough to make it to the top 10 with what they had.

Instead they are gonna climb the ranks because of 1 toon. Just 1 toon...that's it. They haven't worked endlessly day after day for months holding on to their ranks of their daily payout, helping each other out like so many of us do. Nor have they helped each other out from snipers like many of us also have done.

My suggestion...work together to keep out all these new faces that get into the top 10 not because they are good or ain't good or deserve to be there...but because they couldn't get there before now all of a sudden because they got Luke they think they are top 10 arena tier and deserve to be there. They don't deserve to be there. Attack them soon as you get the chance to.

I know this isn't a popular opinion and I'm gonna get tons of hate...and honestly I don't even care. I'm just saying what the majorty of all the top people of their arena shards are thinking:

All these new players that are gonna enter the top 10 deserves to be targets first. Make them work for it. Show them just how competetive the top 10 is and what it takes if they wanna try and stay there.

To all the new players entering the top 10...you better be ready for a war cause you're not climbing the ranks that easily because you finally got Luke. Better mod up, refresh and be ready to change your team up cause for players like me and many others: it takes dedication, team work, communication and a willingness to log in multiple times a day to hold on to your ranks that we've held on to for well over a year...and many others and myself aren't giving it up without a fight. Just because you finally got Luke doesn't mean you are gonna get an easy free ride to the top.

If you can't beat any combination of squads in the top 10....you simply just don't belong there yet.
    Moderator TyloRen
    Points 0
    TyloRenTyloRen 5:05PM
    I appreciate passion and all, but I'm removing your post. It really serves no purpose, and trolling other users isn't permitted.
    HardPill2SwallowHardPill2Swallow 5:07PM
    **** you
  • Options
    Oh cool, this thread got some people talking. Lots of good points in here. There's lots of things I had even forgotten while I was working my way up as a new player. I think one of the things that is hard to do with this game as a newcomer is just get laser focused in on an objective. I know a lot of people hate Phoenix, but as I mentioned, we could be seeing a minor tweak to them here shortly to give them more of an edge. They're a cool squad in theory, and honestly have a lot of neat tricks if you really put thought into planning out your battles. They're definitely rife with strategy.

I think an improvement that could be made in this game is instead of level gating some of the activities, put everything into a clearer pathway as some of you suggested. Make it show it's going to be important to focus specific teams at certain times to be successful. They can keep it informative but leave people free to do what they please so they can just cruise through the game blissfully farming a non meta team of whatever they want if they like. I don't really think other than CLS, which overall is it's own can of worms that I'm concerned with being "competitive" I'm just saying I see new players get frustrated and leave. Lots of the people we remove from our guild are lower level players who just go inactive for a while.

I've helped a lot of people totally changed their outlook on this game once they get some focus and an idea of what they are doing and they've stuck around to this day or ended up outgrowing our less tryhard guild and moved on to hAAT guilds after developing their own super teams. That's the sort of player we want to see more of for the health of this game so making sure being a new player isn't so daunting is a plus side. Hearthstone is going through this same thing right now. Unfortunately for that game, it either just doesn't, or can't utilize a system like our arena shards so players with small collections are getting hosed.
  • Options

I disagree about new accounts having no chance to compete...they can compete...just not at a top tier level. No they wont finish in the top 100 everyday, no they wont get the newsest toons, no they wont finish galatic wars, no they wont get Raid Han solo and Kenobi and thats how it should be.

This game requires time and/or money if you want to get to the end faster..and thats how it should be...heck that how almost all online game are.

Maybe im being a **** here cause ive also played since December 2015. I have over 100 toons that are seven star. Ive completed over 7500 galatic war nodes. I finish in the top 10 in arena for over a year now. Ive never missed a new toon release via legendary events. I have 367 raids completed under my belt.

Basically what im saying is ive put in the time and money to get where i am at this point. And to see some newbie enter the top 10 that hasnt even completed 10 raids much less 100 galatic wars is an insult to me and others like me who have logged in multiple times a day for the past year and 10 months is nothing short of annoying.

If i have busted my rear end to get where i am and others rather the easy way to catch up...then they can do what CG/EA wants them to do....and that is spend alot of $$$$$......or be patient and grind out everything for the next 2 years just like me and countless others have done for the last almost 2 years.

Newbies shouldnt beable to compete with people that have been playing for 2 years already. And im not saying that just about this game...but "Every" online game that is available for everyone to play.

I do however agree about CLS and the next toons to come will be even stronger though. And i also agree about the cash and grab...thats definitly getting worse.

I don't even understand what you are saying in the parts I've bolded. New players are placed on shards with other new players - so they have just as much chance of placing in the top 10 or top 100 on their shards as anybody else.

Are you saying that you are insulted by the fact that new players are out there getting 500 crystals because they aren't forced to compete against you in arena?
  • Options
    Been playing since May, and what bugs me the most in this game is the forced farming paths if you want to play efficiently, and awful character balance. Mainly, this has to do with CLS. If you don't have him right now you are a **** if you aren't setting yourself up to get him...if you want to farm clones or droids or something you are just shooting yourself in the foot because those groups won't put up near the numbers a CLS team will in a raid, they aren't required for anything in TB, and won't work as well for you in arena. It would be a lot better if CLS wasn't so ridiculous and factions other than rebels got some reworks/new toons and unlocked more things so new players aren't so railroaded into what they should farm first if they don't want to put themselves at a disadvantage for many months.

This is a game-wide issue - not just for new players. The opposite is true regarding CLS for vets - sure everyone has him...but that means everyone has him! :) It's made the game pretty awful in Galactic War and also arena. No character has taken over arena to this extent. They over-tuned raid Han as well. They are great for TBs though, so I guess it's a wash.
  • Options

Oooo wasn't he that bad guy from Rouge One?
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    As a new player since August 1st I can agree with the OP. There is a lot of veterans saying "you're new you can't be as good as a veteran!". Well I agree, but what I don't agree with is that new players get left behind. And when I say left behind I am not talking about arena, but raid progression. I was lucky to find a training guild that has helped me get in on heroic rancor raids and tier 6 tank raids, but im sure most newbies haven't been this lucky.

The best thing they have done for new players is make TB rewards equal across the guild. That way new players can progress at the same rate as vets and not get further left behind.

One thing that would be really nice is if the past events were available for new players. Also making legendary events available all the time or at a much more frequent schedule

New players bringing in new money is what will keep this game going. They should do more to let new players progress at a quicker rate and not further the desparity between newbs and vets.
  • ColonelTravis
    365 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    As a new player since August 1st...

...They should do more to let new players progress at a quicker rate and not further the desparity between newbs and vets.

I've been playing since Dec. 2015. You're not competing against me or anyone else who started long before you, only your contemporaries, but you want to progress more rapidly than I had to the past (almost) two years?

Ah, no.
  • Options
    To all the people who say that they should have an advantage because they have played longer, I say that their advantage should be in skill, not basic capabilities. That is the way it is in most games throughout history. Card games, board games, sports... the difference between newcomers and old timers is skill. The Yankees don't get to play with a bigger roster than the other team, why should you.

I am not saying there can't be any aspect of leveling, but this game takes it to an extreme that drives away too many new players from what I have seen. It takes a year or more to level up. That is a long time to pay your dues. I would be very interested to see the data the developers have on retention. Maybe they are happy with it. I am not, because my friends are leaving the game.
  • Options
    It takes a year or more to level up. That is a long time to pay your dues.

Welcome to the slog. If you don't want to devote your time for the long haul, don't play the game. Explain to everyone who started 1-1.5 years ago why you deserve to advance at a faster rate than we did?
  • Options
    It takes a year or more to level up. That is a long time to pay your dues.

Welcome to the slog. If you don't want to devote your time for the long haul, don't play the game. Explain to everyone who started 1-1.5 years ago why you deserve to advance at a faster rate than we did?

First, I am not talking about me. I am talking about the health of the game.

A game shouldn't ever be about slog, regardless of when you started. But think about this: on day 1, everyone was equal and advancing together which should have been fun. Catching up isnt the same experience. As such, as the time it requires to reach the end game increases, it is in the vested interest of the game to speed up the early stages. The major MMO's all learned this, and it applies here.

This isn't about feelings of elitism or entitlement, it is about retaining new players.