Let's talk New Player Experience

Replies

• Options
    just shorten path for them to roll through low/mid levels, because the earlier you started playing the shorter your path was to "end game" at that time and the longer the game goes on the further and further behind new players will be...at some point its just not worth bothering.

Gee, you start two years after a game came out and you're way behind players who started in 2015? What a revelation.

What does shorten the path mean, specifically? Shorten what? The path to what? Free characters? Free gear? Free stars? Lower prices for gear? Lower star requirements? Explain how this happens. Explain when new player "fairness" has reached a sufficient level?

How come shortening the path (whatever that means) is "fair" for a new player but you never see how stupidly unfair this is to everyone else who would have then played by different rules?

How long have you been playing this game?
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    This game is all about patience and perseverance ... this is why I like it so much. If you have none of the above well then there are other games on the market ;-)
  • Options
    Paitence & perseverance are now irrelevant... with fleet shop gutted, an advanced player like myself can no longer maintain competitiveness with others while maintaining a guild that includes newer players...

After hanging to my principles for so very long... it seems the devs are determined to make guilds with high GP varitions obsolete.

I liked helping new players... but i feel theres nothing i can do for them directly now... im gonna have to join a bigger guild, and the new guys are gonna have to fend for themselves.

This situation ____.

• Options
    Loose_Lee wrote: »
    Paitence & perseverance are now irrelevant... with fleet shop gutted, an advanced player like myself can no longer maintain competitiveness with others while maintaining a guild that includes newer players...
    If you were using the fleet store to buy gear, then just use it to buy a character you've already got at 7 stars and convert to shard shop currency. It's 10 shards (800 fleet currency) for 6 of a thing that used to cost 650 fleet currency for... What, 5?

And considering now you can use Galactic War, Arena, Guild, and Cantina tokens in addition to fleet tokens, you can really grind that gear out. It's SUPER easy to get gear now, dude.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • WildMango
    151 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

After hanging to my principles for so very long... it seems the devs are determined to make guilds with high GP varitions obsolete.

I liked helping new players... but i feel theres nothing i can do for them directly now... im gonna have to join a bigger guild, and the new guys are gonna have to fend for themselves.

This situation ____.

They'll do just fine. Don't worry about the new players. It's about enjoying the journey. They'll probably have a bigger sense of enjoyment when a group of new players finally beats the heroic rancor. I remember when our guild of new players worked towards and finally beat the heroic rancor... that was a good day.

Also patience and perseverance works just fine. Join a group that's more at your stage of the game. Being a big fish in a little pond don't work no more.

• Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    It takes a year or more to level up. That is a long time to pay your dues.

Welcome to the slog. If you don't want to devote your time for the long haul, don't play the game. Explain to everyone who started 1-1.5 years ago why you deserve to advance at a faster rate than we did?

Because at one point getting an end game roster consisted of a lower level cap, lower gear levels, less characters, and mods didn't exist. Older players had a lot less farming to be "end game" 1.5 years ago.

So wait.....you like the game so much, you want it to be over?

Sorry, I just don't get that sentiment. For me, that would mean that I picked a game I can play for a good long time. Yet you seem to suggest that the goal of playing is to be done....so you don't play anymore. :|

Nah...but look at it from a new player perspective...how much fun is it? You play GW and get wrecked by multiple level capped zeta squads when you are in your 70s. That didn't happen when zeta's didn't exist, and you yourself would have been at cap a lot quicker when it was lower.

Or how about raids? 10 minutes after hPit opens for example you got people posting 10 millions with their cls teams. That wasn't the case when raids were new.

Or how about TB? Whats the point in locking people out of most of it for many, many months? Your best bet is to find a big guild to carry you or get garbage rewards...yeah...that's "fun."

The whole game is pretty much designed so every time something new comes it adds to "end game." The people who get the best/most rewards are those already at "end game." The newbs who are left playing catch up pretty much permanently get the crappiest rewards in a lot of game modes. As the path to "end game" becomes longer I don't see what the issue is if they make it a little easier for new players to get rolling. I'm not saying just hand them piles of G12 gear and zetas...just shorten path for them to roll through low/mid levels, because the earlier you started playing the shorter your path was to "end game" at that time and the longer the game goes on the further and further behind new players will be...at some point its just not worth bothering.

The path to end game isn't shorter for veterans - it's the same time period to get to varying levels of end game. Your ignoring the time it took a veteran to get to where they are today.

1. End game is relative - a 6 month player has a different end game than a 20 month player
    2. THERE IS NO END GAME! :) There's always going to be more gates, more raids, more content, etc. that squeezes $ out of your pocket and occupies your time

With all the additional content and modes to win loot, there's no question that a player starting today in 12 months will have accomplished much more by that time than a player that started in Nov '15 at hard launch in the their first 12 months. Veterans now that essentially ran in quicksand for the first 6-9 months compared to what can be done now.
  • Options

This situation ____.

Had a very similar situation. For most of 2017 I was in a guild that couldn't do HAAT and had many new players, a few veteran F2P, and a small handful of veteran P2P - huge variance guild. By the middle of the year though we were tackling HAAT (growth from everyone was tremendous - beautiful to watch) and they nailed HAAT on their own the first time without me no problem. The guild is still together through these TBs and I think doing pretty will in the mid-20s star range and climbing. The players you've been helping should have been building up / benefiting that entire time and be in decent shape to proceed without one specific account.

I'll share one last specific piece. The last few HAATs I was with the team, aside from my damage, it was getting stuck in P3 - I was then having to do sizable damage in remainder of P3 and all of P4. Turns out me being there was holding them back because they easily zoomed through all 4 phases in half the time it typically took them to get through the first two phases. They may end up being better off than you think once the crutch / training wheels come off.
  • Options
    WildMango wrote: »

This situation ____.

They'll do just fine. Don't worry about the new players. It's about enjoying the journey. They'll probably have a bigger sense of enjoyment when a group of new players finally beats the heroic rancor. I remember when our guild of new players worked towards and finally beat the heroic rancor... that was a good day.

Also patience and perseverance works just fine. Join a group that's more at your stage of the game. Being a big fish in a little pond don't work no more.

I think this is a great point. When we were around there was no veterans to lean on - you cut your own path. I don't think that's a bad thing.
  • Options
    just shorten path for them to roll through low/mid levels, because the earlier you started playing the shorter your path was to "end game" at that time and the longer the game goes on the further and further behind new players will be...at some point its just not worth bothering.

Gee, you start two years after a game came out and you're way behind players who started in 2015? What a revelation.

What does shorten the path mean, specifically? Shorten what? The path to what? Free characters? Free gear? Free stars? Lower prices for gear? Lower star requirements? Explain how this happens. Explain when new player "fairness" has reached a sufficient level?

How come shortening the path (whatever that means) is "fair" for a new player but you never see how **** unfair this is to everyone else who would have then played by different rules?

How long have you been playing this game?

Maybe a bonus in the early game like doble exp and drops for low lever player(1lv to 65lv)
  • Options
    As a player who started from casual playing (not doing daily 600 and merely collecting for fun) to being hardcore daily 600 and not compromising on any activities, I must say that the experience for new players these days is different and in a negative manner.

I run GotW Relentless and we went HAAT-capable only in July this year. For most of the year, I had been advising my crew to build HAAT-capable teams. If the players were less powerful, in terms of roster calibre, I advised them to construct Rancor teams to be able to climb higher in the raid rewards tables so that they get relatively better prizes.

However, EA introduces new content every month that makes most people, if not all,consider deviating from their farming paths. Thus, when a new player is confronted by lots of exciting material to farm for, it is natural to be lost as to what to aim for first.

My only advice is that this is a resource management game and if one is starting out, a player just needs to know the smartest way to accelerate their growth. Some non-exhaustive pointers are:
    • Arena Squad for the crystal income
    • Raid team for better gear
    • Scoundrel Team for credits
    • Ships and their respective pilots for zeta mats to be more formidable
    • Galactic War for credits and tokens to buy some of the toons which can form raid teams

As mentioned, resource management means prioritising what is needed first and not deviate every time new content drops in this game. Put in the hard work and it will pay off eventually!
  • Options
    DarthDuck wrote: »
    You are 100% correct my friend. My little cousin is starting to play the game and is really frustrated. He says it isn’t fair to have to use clone wars Chewbacca, and want CLS (but don’t we all). I think you should get more crystals at the beginning or a free mega pack.

Agree only if existing players get the difference between now's intro bonus and then's.
  • Options
    The path to end game isn't shorter for veterans - it's the same time period to get to varying levels of end game. Your ignoring the time it took a veteran to get to where they are today.

When the game launched what was it level cap 60 and several gear tiers lower? Its a heck of a lot quicker to get to level 60 G7 or whatever than it is to get level 85 G11/12 with zetas and decent mods.

I'm not ignoring that yeah, veterans put time into building up their rosters, but I'm also not ignoring that while older players were doing that they were getting fed events and content that were based around much lower caps at the time that were much quicker to hit.
  • Options

When the game launched what was it level cap 60 and several gear tiers lower? Its a heck of a lot quicker to get to level 60 G7 or whatever than it is to get level 85 G11/12 with zetas and decent mods.

I'm not ignoring that yeah, veterans put time into building up their rosters, but I'm also not ignoring that while older players were doing that they were getting fed events and content that were based around much lower caps at the time that were much quicker to hit.

No...:) We HAD NO events!!! Also, a level cap impedes progress. You are lucky, you have no cap at 50, 70, etc. Your progress isn't stopped early on. We couldn't hit lower levels quicker because we were stopped intentionally. Put it this way, if I could start the game now and I put the same amount of time / resources in the game as I did when I started in Nov 2015, after the same amount of time (22 months at this point) I'd be in a vastly better place in terms of progress after those 22 months having started in September 2017. Reason being is early on in my playing I could have access to events, credit heists, level 85 challenges, TBs, raids ... on and on. The first 6 months of a Nov 2015 player was pretty much wasted since most / all of that didn't even exist and due to the level caps a tremendous amount of energy was wasted at prior cap levels. New players now waste no energy till they hit 85.

You may feel overwhelmed with content and things to chase, but trust me, that's a good thing - that's content and gives you something to do going forward; MUCH better than having nothing to do and nothing to really look forward to. This is a key point for new players now to realize: compared to a veteran player's first 6-12 months, your first 6-12 months will result in significantly more progress and you have many more cool things to chase and look forward to. You are choosing to see the content as overwhelming, but that content is the only reason the game exists and is the whole point of the game.
  • Options
    I think this is a great point. When we were around there was no veterans to lean on - you cut your own path. I don't think that's a bad thing.

In my opinion that is another negative in the newb experience today. If you want to get toons to end game status as quickly and efficiently as possible the best thing to do is get in a big, active guild putting up 30k(or close to it) a day and raiding often. You are better off finishing in the 40s but running 5 heroic raids a week than you are joining a casual weaker guild putting up much less tickets daily and only finishing 2-3 non-heroic raids a week but finishing higher.

So more or less the efficient option is to get carried by veterans, which really isn't a fun gaming experience. Yeah you could join a worse guild still building up for heroics...but then you have more established players in other guilds pulling more/better raid rewards and scoring higher in TB...so in the end your options are offer up your 600 daily to a decent guild and get carried or join a weaker guild and continuously fall further and further behind.
  • Options

No...:) We HAD NO events!!! Also, a level cap impedes progress. You are lucky, you have no cap at 50, 70, etc. Your progress isn't stopped early on. We couldn't hit lower levels quicker because we were stopped intentionally. Put it this way, if I could start the game now and I put the same amount of time / resources in the game as I did when I started in Nov 2015, after the same amount of time (22 months at this point) I'd be in a vastly better place in terms of progress after those 22 months having started in September 2017. Reason being is early on in my playing I could have access to events, credit heists, level 85 challenges, TBs, raids ... on and on. The first 6 months of a Nov 2015 player was pretty much wasted since most / all of that didn't even exist and due to the level caps a tremendous amount of energy was wasted at prior cap levels. New players now waste no energy till they hit 85.

You may feel overwhelmed with content and things to chase, but trust me, that's a good thing - that's content and gives you something to do going forward; MUCH better than having nothing to do and nothing to really look forward to. This is a key point for new players now to realize: compared to a veteran player's first 6-12 months, your first 6-12 months will result in significantly more progress and you have many more cool things to chase and look forward to. You are choosing to see the content as overwhelming, but that content is the only reason the game exists and is the whole point of the game.

I started about a year ago. I can tell you that back then I got really frustrated by not even being able to do the events... "oh great content that I can't even try... let alone fail". Saving grace is that at least most in the same arena shard are probably in the same boat.

I am sure that is even more so now.

I will disagree about level cap impeding progress...

The caps allow players to expand their rosters, which then allow completion of more events which then leads to more resources to pour into your roster. Which at this point is a HUGE advantage with a week notice before events.

I will agree that older players didn't have Credit Heist and other events, but that is pretty relative and I don't think a 1:1 ratio vs the teams/lvl/gear needed today. You also didn't have requirements for 4+ complete teams etc. 2.5 maybe for Arena, GW, Rancor...

I would say the lack of access to characters and difficulty of gearing them up is just compounding the length of time before you feel like you can actually play the game and participate in a meaningful level.

Someone asked what they can do to help new players... its pretty simple imo...

1. Make older character stars easier to get via bronzium
    2. Remove the faction requirements for Tier 1 battles of events and add rewards for that faction needed. Give players 10-20 shards of each character needed to help them get to a point of being able to complete.
    3. Increase the rewards of the old faction bundles, give out more shards.

The cadence system is the way to go, and a right step. They just need to finish a full system and follow it... Move those old characters from hard nodes to light/dark/cantina etc. most the old toons already in light/dark/cantina to bronziums etc.

They are pumping out enough characters to keep up demand, the cheap tricks of 10 lobots per TB phase is just a slap in the face and not a difficulty or challenge.

• Options
    Liath wrote: »

I disagree about new accounts having no chance to compete...they can compete...just not at a top tier level. No they wont finish in the top 100 everyday, no they wont get the newsest toons, no they wont finish galatic wars, no they wont get Raid Han solo and Kenobi and thats how it should be.

This game requires time and/or money if you want to get to the end faster..and thats how it should be...heck that how almost all online game are.

Maybe im being a **** here cause ive also played since December 2015. I have over 100 toons that are seven star. Ive completed over 7500 galatic war nodes. I finish in the top 10 in arena for over a year now. Ive never missed a new toon release via legendary events. I have 367 raids completed under my belt.

Basically what im saying is ive put in the time and money to get where i am at this point. And to see some newbie enter the top 10 that hasnt even completed 10 raids much less 100 galatic wars is an insult to me and others like me who have logged in multiple times a day for the past year and 10 months is nothing short of annoying.

If i have busted my rear end to get where i am and others rather the easy way to catch up...then they can do what CG/EA wants them to do....and that is spend alot of $$$$$......or be patient and grind out everything for the next 2 years just like me and countless others have done for the last almost 2 years.

Newbies shouldnt beable to compete with people that have been playing for 2 years already. And im not saying that just about this game...but "Every" online game that is available for everyone to play.

I do however agree about CLS and the next toons to come will be even stronger though. And i also agree about the cash and grab...thats definitly getting worse.

I don't even understand what you are saying in the parts I've bolded. New players are placed on shards with other new players - so they have just as much chance of placing in the top 10 or top 100 on their shards as anybody else.

Are you saying that you are insulted by the fact that new players are out there getting 500 crystals because they aren't forced to compete against you in arena?

What im saying is that it is ridiculous for a new player to even think they can be competitive when they are just starting out playing an online game for the first time.

Building a roster, squads, gearing, farming and competing at a top tier level takes time, dedecation and/or money if you want it faster. This is how ALL ONLINE GAMES ARE!

For newbies to expect something handed to them on a silver platter just because they started playing this game a year and a half later is propostorus and by trait...makes them seem as if they are entitled.
    Wanna see a trolls weak roster? Here ya go---->>>> https://swgoh.gg/u/nicwester/You've been warned.

Re: Discussion in category Forum Trash
    HardPill2Swallow
    HardPill2Swallow - December 22, 2017 2:25PM
    If you're like me and play faithfully everyday getting rank 1 constantly, working with others in your shard to not only stay competetive but also working to keep out new players from dropping your rank, then you will understand what I'm saying.

When CLS came for the first time there were a lot of new faces that entered the top 10. Now that he is coming back we will see even more climbing the ranks...not because they have a good roster, or because they are good players..but because they finally got the CLS toon they have been crying about for months. We all know how good CLS is and how he fits into any team or any part of this game.

The shard I'm in has the exact same feeling as I do: All of us don't like to see new faces. All of us have controlled the top of our arena shard for well over a year and the last thing we want is to have to share our ranks with other players, not because they are good or deserve to be in the top 10...but because they weren't good enough to make it to the top 10 with what they had.

Instead they are gonna climb the ranks because of 1 toon. Just 1 toon...that's it. They haven't worked endlessly day after day for months holding on to their ranks of their daily payout, helping each other out like so many of us do. Nor have they helped each other out from snipers like many of us also have done.

My suggestion...work together to keep out all these new faces that get into the top 10 not because they are good or ain't good or deserve to be there...but because they couldn't get there before now all of a sudden because they got Luke they think they are top 10 arena tier and deserve to be there. They don't deserve to be there. Attack them soon as you get the chance to.

I know this isn't a popular opinion and I'm gonna get tons of hate...and honestly I don't even care. I'm just saying what the majorty of all the top people of their arena shards are thinking:

All these new players that are gonna enter the top 10 deserves to be targets first. Make them work for it. Show them just how competetive the top 10 is and what it takes if they wanna try and stay there.

To all the new players entering the top 10...you better be ready for a war cause you're not climbing the ranks that easily because you finally got Luke. Better mod up, refresh and be ready to change your team up cause for players like me and many others: it takes dedication, team work, communication and a willingness to log in multiple times a day to hold on to your ranks that we've held on to for well over a year...and many others and myself aren't giving it up without a fight. Just because you finally got Luke doesn't mean you are gonna get an easy free ride to the top.

If you can't beat any combination of squads in the top 10....you simply just don't belong there yet.
    Moderator TyloRen
    Points 0
    TyloRenTyloRen 5:05PM
    I appreciate passion and all, but I'm removing your post. It really serves no purpose, and trolling other users isn't permitted.
    HardPill2SwallowHardPill2Swallow 5:07PM
    **** you
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Building a roster, squads, gearing, farming and competing at a top tier level takes time, dedecation and/or money if you want it faster. This is how ALL ONLINE GAMES ARE!
    Except games of skill, games of chance, and pretty much every game ever made that hasn't been infected by all this RPG treadmill gear-tycoon stuff. Get outside of your bubble, man.
  • Options
    DarthSalsa wrote: »

Maybe a bonus in the early game like doble exp and drops for low lever player(1lv to 65lv)

Double drops for what characters? I've been playing since the beginning but have some early characters I haven't developed at all. How come I don't get double drops on those?

Level 65 is low? That's 3/4ths of the levels in the game.

• Options

Double drops for what characters? I've been playing since the beginning but have some early characters I haven't developed at all. How come I don't get double drops on those?

Lv 65 is low is g7, under 65lv you cant do TB dobuble drops for everthing so low player can get full stars faster
  • Options
    @LansDreya I actually never considered newer players as I was rejoicing in the new shard shop. The removal of gear from fleet I was indifferent towards but now I see that really stinks for new players who need gear more than zetas. A coworker of mine attempted to start playing again last month after a year off and he gave up in a week. I feel bad, we need new players.
  • Options

Lv 65 is low is g7, under 65lv you cant do TB dobuble drops for everthing so low player can get full stars faster

Why bother start a player at Level 1? Just start him at level 65 so he can do TB and get full stars faster because, you know, fairness. Except it's not fair to anyone who's been playing. This never seems to cross your mind.

• Options

Why bother start a player at Level 1? Just start him at level 65 so he can do TB and get full stars faster because, you know, fairness. Except it's not fair to anyone who's been playing. This never seems to cross your mind.

Silly idea but....

Why would it matter ? Old and new players don't play each other.

Also, Fair? Lol fair is for fairies
    Can we rotate out the Moderators?
  • Options

A lot of games has bonus for new player is normal in long games like this. Lv 1 to 65 is enough time for maybe two full cantina toons is not the big deal
  • Options
    Silly idea but....

Exactly. So why allow new players to advance faster than anyone else?
  • Options

A lot of games has bonus for new player is normal in long games like this. Lv 1 to 65 is enough time for maybe two full cantina toons is not the big deal

Oh, I get it. So new players get two full cantina toons and everyone else does not. Gee, Qui-Gon Jinn or Mob Enforcer? Which one is more fair? I've been playing since the beginning and have never bothered to unlock Mob Enforcer. Do I get him out of fairness?

I don't know what "a lot of games" means. Nor do I know what "a lot of games" do to speed up play for new players after the game has been out for two years, if they do that at all. You're just throwing out generalizations that mean nothing. Even if every single game ever changed its rules long after it was released out of some misguided idea of fairness, why copy them? Why not be the one game that has integrity?

Oh, because it's just not fair.

• Options
    Silly idea but....

Exactly. So why allow new players to advance faster than anyone else?

it's quite simple: to allow new players to enjoy the new content which in most of cases is an end game one.
  • Options

No. That is simply wrong. I'm not even 6 months in and if I was playing when cap was 60 I'd have over 40 end game characters right now. Instead I have...zero? Even if you get rid of the heists...it really wouldn't matter all that much because leveling costs are extremely biased towards higher levels and mods didn't exist then. Giving up maybe 1/3-1/2 of my income depending on how lucky my heists is for that time period would be a bargain if high levels/mods where 90% of my income goes didn't exist.

As far as events go there have been a TON of one off events that will never return that new players have permanently missed out on. Look at just marquee events alone...players have been handed out the shard equivalent of what it takes to make multiple 7 star characters just off these events...someone creating an account today has that much more farming to do.

Or how about events that have been made harder? The Endor Ewok event we had this month for example. If I'm not mistaken it was made more difficult recently...so if you played in the past the power level required, hence time spent farming, to complete events like this was less.

And wasted energy? I'm sorry but unless you have every character at 7 stars and no use for any gear that comes out of normal or hard nodes, you aren't wasting energy, and cantina energy even if you have every character 7 star max gear its never a waste to farm more mods.

Its relative. If I played at launch and do as many refreshes and whatnot as I've done, like I said above...I'd probably have about 40 maxed out toons. I'd be able to run multiple "end game" squads. Today...yeah I have some more powerful characters, but a lot less of them, because it simply takes a heck of a lot more farming when cap is higher, gear levels are higher, and "end game" content is geared towards also having decent mods.

Besides...you had less forced farming back then too. Its not like today where not focusing on scoundrels early on meant you were hurting yourself by not being able to do heists, or you had to focus on specific teams for mod challenges...there was a lot more freedom to just focus on what you wanted and not be punished for it in terms of rate of progression or access to characters locked behind specific requirements.
    Twin wrote: »
    I started about a year ago. I can tell you that back then I got really frustrated by not even being able to do the events... "oh great content that I can't even try... let alone fail". Saving grace is that at least most in the same arena shard are probably in the same boat.

I am sure that is even more so now

Agreed. Like I said above if you played at launch they were designing things for appropriately geared level 60s. Now they design them for appropriately geared 85s. It takes longer to get a decently geared 85 than a decently geared 60, so the time span required to be able to participate in, and complete events has been greatly increased. You weren't fighting death bears that wiped out decently leveled 60 something squads in wave 1 6 months after launch.
    I will disagree about level cap impeding progress...

The caps allow players to expand their rosters, which then allow completion of more events which then leads to more resources to pour into your roster. Which at this point is a HUGE advantage with a week notice before events.

Yup...that was a pretty weak argument. What I notice looking at my roster if I have a lot of toons that would have been useful with lower caps, but a level 60 gear 6 toon for example that may have been decent a few months after launch is worthless now. You'd be 1 shot in raids, unable to clear a wave in TB, useless in arena, etc.
    I will agree that older players didn't have Credit Heist and other events, but that is pretty relative and I don't think a 1:1 ratio vs the teams/lvl/gear needed today. You also didn't have requirements for 4+ complete teams etc. 2.5 maybe for Arena, GW, Rancor...

Again...nailed it. I think if I were to start today I'd quit after 1 TB. By the time a new player right now farms out a Rebel, Phoenix, and Rogue 1 squad for TB we'll probably already be on to a dark side TB, where as more veteran players were handed piles of shards for those characters through marquee events and probably already had multiple of them farmed out just by virtue of having nothing else to spend various shop tokens on.
    I would say the lack of access to characters and difficulty of gearing them up is just compounding the length of time before you feel like you can actually play the game and participate in a meaningful level.

Again...nailed it. I pretty consistently finish top 20 in my arena and 10 in ships daily yet time and time again am simply locked out of and/or can not even come close to completing events. Why? because like I've been saying...it takes longer to hit max level/gear the higher the cap goes. If I was hitting top 20 in arena 6 months after launch I wouldn't have been locked out of so many things still. Basically if you had a 500kGP equivalent roster 6 months after launch you'd have a lot more useful characters than you would today with a 500kGP roster.

Its like others have said in this thread and many others...most grind fest games alleviate old bottle necks when new ones are introduced....this game simply hasn't done that effectively, and its getting to a point where its a crappy experience for a new player.

I'm sort of at the point where I'm over the hump myself, so despite what some people think I'm not a stupid entitled noob that feels entitled to things, but I also have seen first hand how long it takes, even while spending enough to do 6+ refreshes a day from the time I started til I hit level cap, to start to be able to actually do anything in high level content, and the problem I see with that is that if it takes a moderate spender 6 months to get to a point where they feel like they are actually participating on a meaningful level, a lot of players are simply going to quit before they get to that point. Meanwhile you have veteran players who hit that point at lower level/gear levels and with no mods saying new players should suck it up and pay their dues, even though the dues to decently leveled/modded/geared toons take a lot longer/more money for a noob today than they did if you started closer to launch.
  • Options
    Just the introduction of Phoenix Squad was a huge boost to new players that older players didn't have.

All of them are very accessible farms now. They get you Thrawn. They are Rebels so they can also get you Palpatine. Kanan & Ezra can be used to get you Yoda.

Also, when leveled up, they are a good GW team as well. And eventually they can help you in territory battles as well.

Then, you factor in Credit and Training Droid Heists and boosted drops from daily challenges and its no question new players now have access to resources to help them advance faster in the game than those of us who started the game in late 2015 or early 2016 (myself).
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

As far as events go there have been a TON of one off events that will never return that new players have permanently missed out on. Look at just marquee events alone...players have been handed out the shard equivalent of what it takes to make multiple 7 star characters just off these events...someone creating an account today has that much more farming to do.

Or how about events that have been made harder? The Endor Ewok event we had this month for example. If I'm not mistaken it was made more difficult recently...so if you played in the past the power level required, hence time spent farming, to complete events like this was less.

Other games have events that never recur at all. In FFRK, there are no recurring events. If you miss an event you just never get to play that event. Marquee events are more akin to the daily login rewards anyway. It's not like there's any challenge to it. It's just something you get for having played at the time it was going on.

And no, the assault battle was not made more difficult. I haven't improved my empire characters at all since the last time it was here and it was exactly the same.
  • Options
    Ciomagaru wrote: »

it's quite simple: to allow new players to enjoy the new content which in most of cases is an end game one.

There is no end game. What is the end game? When do you "win"? Explain the ending. I had to wait for CLS for 18 months before I could, ah, enjoy him. You want a new player to be able not to wait that long. Why? Because it's not fair? I've been playing 18 months and don't have Thrawn. Boo hoo me. I need this unfair wrong righted immediately. I'm not gonna unlock BB8 this week. Unfair! I've been playing for 18 months and deserve BB8! Scratch that. I need EA/CG to drop 1 million crystals so I can catch up to the whales. I'm F2P, it's not fair.