Ships 2.0 5/22/18 [Mega]

Replies

• Options
    CG has managed to make a terrible game mode even worse. It's literally impossible to win at least for me. Opponents ships deal 3 times more damage and move two times faster than mine even when their toons have no zetas or high gear.

Managed to make me quit playing ships for good. Geat job.
  • Options
    I watched as two heavily invested players hung up their holotable goggles today, 100% due to being completely hosed by ships 2.0. From my own standpoint, completely changing the entire game, and devaluing those who were heavily invested in ships 1.0 in such a drastic fashion was unnecessary and exceptionally rude to the more invested side of the player base.

How many soft launch or extremely early players do you guys have to alienate? The 2+ year invested crowd sees this update as overly heavy handed and doesn't seem to address any of the historically documented faults of the ships portion of the game, while seeming to attempt to force a boost to short term revenue numbers.

All I can see is a huge time suck and cash grab, along with the requisite slap in the face for the most invested.

Dingo
  • Options
    Ships are worse. This is terrible. Change it back
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Ruprecht wrote: »
    Before anything else, I want to thank the developers for trying to make things better! I know we are customers (paying customers for many of us) and that it's a business, but it's also a passion for the players and for many - if not all - of the developers, not just a job for most of them. I want the game to thrive and keep giving fun to all its passionate players

But I agree with many that the ship 2.0 update is likely working against making the game better... I guess one of the best summary I've read so far is that the update made ships not enjoyable anymore for many of those who enjoyed ships before and no more enjoyable for those who didn't enjoy ships before

As someone who enjoyed a lot ships since I came back to the game a bit more than 18 months ago, I am not a fan at all of the ship update - like many others and like all of the players I'm in touch in my ship arena shards and 95% of the players in my group of guilds. There are around the 400 players overall in the guild coalition, and only 2-3 said they enjoy ships because they had never invested in ships before and that now they are on the same level than those who heavily invested, all the others that spoke out said they are not fan at all of ships 2.0....
    I was used to play 5-10 ship battles everyday, even after my payout when I had some battles left for fun (I know when everyone in my top ship arena payout have their payouts so I could easily have fun without messing with anyone's payout). And honestly ship battles were fast for anyone that invested enough in them and I didn't have much problem with RNG 95% of the time once I made my pilots all G12 (G12.5 for some as I wanted to fully play ships) (ok, a very few times RNG could make a fight very unbalanced, but most of the times I was able to work around)!I get it that battles could last long early in the game or for those who didn't really invested in ships.

Here is my list of pros and cons from the update... the cons winning largely

PROS:
    1) The Ship battle PvE table is very likely going to be a very nice addition
    2) reinforcement abilities (very nice idea even if it means we will need to collect new rare materials and choose wisely were to use it, I'm totally fine with the idea, it's the same than with zeta for characters)
    3) new synergies (for exemple the idea of a strong synergy between geonosians! we already had some strong synergies, but that makes a lot of sense to work toward more synergies fleets)

CONS:

1) lack of diversity in arena will likely get even worse
    Sure a lot of complex skills, but once people figure out what is the best fleet, diversity may exist only as long as people need to gear the pilots of that best fleet. Then everyone will run the same Capital ship & 3+5 ships

2) The unfairness of the update that really tell players who have invested in ships that now they are on the same level than those who just ignored ships!

2.1: the nerf of ships we have worked on only for ship battles
    Some nerf I can accept there may have been no other solution... I love reaper (I have him 7* and both pilots G12+), but I can agree about the need to nerf him... and at least Shore and DeathTrooper are amazing in other areas of the game (Dark TB, TB, TW at least, DT in Sith Raid P3 in the Chex Mix Team) so I feel... "ok" about the nerf of reaper.
    But other nerfs are far worse in my opinion! I've geared Empire Tie pilot for exemple to G12.5 only because of his ship! Except in TW in back-up squad, I've never used him anywhere else... So I just feel sad about his nerf... seeing new ships or reworked ships that can beat him? Fine, it's sane to bring some changes. That said, I've never had any issue to kill an empire ship on offense... I was just using Vader or Poe most of the time, or keeping him for the end.

2.2:the unfair big equalizer move
    The way the things have been done just give the feeling to all the players I've talking to that the update is just a very big equalizer... you have invested a lot in the ships 1.0 ? you have not invested at all in ships? don't worry, you will all be on the same level now, everyone can beat everyone / everyone can struggle a lot against everyone till you work on the new meta ships that none have ever worked on. I only know one player who have all Geonosians at G12 and their ships 7* for exemple but he also has 4 million GP and every characters at 7* and at least G12 (except Wampa and Hoda for the moment), so yes, everyone starts from scratch basically...
    I would have loved to see new ships released or some factions reworked like when CG reworked the Nightsisters... in that case, people who invested in ships would still had their advantage over those who ignored ships (which is 100% fair!) and then everyone would have had to choose between working on the new good ships or to prepare to not be competitive again in the future. But with the update? Everyone is instantly on the same level! and that is 100% unfair in my opinion...

MY SUGGESTIONS:
    1) back to 5 starting ships, because more ships allow just more diversity and is likely less RNG-dependent (and also because in my opinion more ships is just more fun!). To keep the reinforcement ability to be meaningful, I would allow to call a 6th ship immediately, no need to wait for one of its ships to be destroyed. So like now we can call a reinforcement while having 3 ships alive, we would be able to call a reinforcement while having 5 ships alive
    2) keep working on making very strong synergy between ships like the devs did for the geonosians, no problem with reworks on underused ships (because then no one has an instant advantage, except those who already geared these underused ships because they like them). Ideally the aim would be to find a way to make different highly synergized fleets that are evenly powerful. I would love to see one day that one could play Geo/separatist fleet or Galatic Republic fleet or Empire fleet or FO fleet or Resistance fleet or Sith fleet (that one relying on KOTOR addition for exemple). Each fleet would be highly synergized and as potent as another so players could just choose what kind of fleet they want to run.
    3) introduce new diverse ships / capital ships

What I will do? well... I will likely keep working on ships and hope things get better in the future... and work on the new meta (whatever it can be)
    I'm not expecting to find as much fun as before, but I find the idea of playings with ships one of the best thing in the game! So stopping going hard in ships would mean deleting the game for me... not my plan in the foreseeable future at all

Let's have faith in the Force! Looking forward to seeing Ships 3.0 and now time to gear the geonosians I guess :(

lol, a long post but no one could have said it better. :-)

yuck after playing with 3, how in gods name would you want to go back to 5... so much more strategy now...

Suggestion 2 and 3 are ok...but 1 is horrible...

how many refreshes have you done sir....how many crystals you spent on all different fleets trying them out...

How many G12 max fleets can you run ???? it all matters when you see what the end game is on the 3v3 it's epic having hard counters now and not just reaper blah blah...

I just do not get you people hating the mechanics.....

You cannot seem to seperate that the devs suck for the money grab and horrible communication are not in the same category as the ship mechanics...it's better now....

So moan and yell at the DEV's (I do) for blantant pathetic cash grubbing and devaluing peoples purchases...but you need to buy some more refreshes try out some different hard counters to what people are showing and have fun...because the 3v3 is fun....

I would rather see capital ship being able to reinforce immediatly instead of a 1 turn cooldown than go back to 5v5 boring same thing every time land...

sheesh

• obidrew1
    115 posts Member
    Options
    I get the impression that the split in opinion is directly related to ship arena rank. I think those that are higher, or, maintain a higher position in ship arena do not like the changes overall (for reasons better described elsewhere in this thread).
    The people that do like the changes probably hold a lower rank, or, are casual players.

Personally, I would have preferred a different way to shake up the meta other than the choices the devs made.
  • Options
    Want to know something funny? They took away sun facs ship's counter chance, meaning he can't inflict target lock unless he is called as executrix's reinforcement
  • Options
    Dear CG- the 2.0 does not feel like a dogfight. It is slower than 1.0 and feels like a slog fest. I a, sure as we relieves up our top fleets, it will be faster but I have no desire to fight for 4 minutes when I fought for 90 secs two days ago.
  • Options
    Let me ask you something.

If you conduct a poll (in this case pull data) and ask people their favorite cookie and 95% chocolate chip ( tfp) and five percent said something else. Would you as a cookie company stop making chocolate chip cookies to increase sales on oatmeal raisin? No because you would be afraid customers would get the chocolate chip cookies somewhere else.

But at CG they play off the fact we can't get star wars stuff from a lot of places. Freaking need to lose the exclusive license on these games so i can get cookies elsewhere.
  • Ebbda
    261 posts Member
    Options
    I watched as two heavily invested players hung up their holotable goggles today, 100% due to being completely hosed by ships 2.0. From my own standpoint, completely changing the entire game, and devaluing those who were heavily invested in ships 1.0 in such a drastic fashion was unnecessary and exceptionally rude to the more invested side of the player base.

How many soft launch or extremely early players do you guys have to alienate? The 2+ year invested crowd sees this update as overly heavy handed and doesn't seem to address any of the historically documented faults of the ships portion of the game, while seeming to attempt to force a boost to short term revenue numbers.

All I can see is a huge time suck and cash grab, along with the requisite slap in the face for the most invested.

Dingo

Poetic. Feels great dropping Reaper that was maxed as it's utterly useless now.
  • Whazn
    262 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_Carrie hey there I've been having a problem since the update. My biggs no longer taunts when I apply target lock. 5 battles in a row without taunting. Can you please look into this? It's made my climb impossible
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member
    Options
    I wonder if this is gonna make TB fleet battles way harder? They were a cake walk before, but I could see this being a stealth buff to them, now that ships have been around for so much longer
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Dingo

Well said. Exactly how many long time players feel.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    One way or the other, people that played smart and invested their tine and resources into fleet won't get affected by this **** update. You will still get crashed by the people that paid attention to fleet from the get go!! Go get your 45$ kit, that will keep you competative for 2.5 weeks, and then you'll be back where you started befor the TU12. Good.luck to all of you!
  • Options
    Holy cow does the new ship format suck. Someone please explain to me how to win. I've played something like 20 fleet battles since they rolled it out and won about 5. I used to win about 70% of them.

I mean I'm just at a loss, how does a group with fleet power of 150k beat a fleet with 200k?

Sure the simple answer is synergy and I'd buy that if that was really the case.

Guy starts with tie fighter, jedi counselor, and Heras ship and subs in tie silencer, the other Phoenix ship, and biggs.

How the heck does that beat both phoenix ships and vader's ship with subs slave 1 to take the heat off the ships I started with, jedi counselor to regain protection, and rens shuttle which I don't have upgraded reinforcement on.

How does the guy beat me 5 times in a row? I should clarify how does he whip me cause that reallywhat it was. He has 4 ships left at the end when he takes my last ship.

If it matters at all I'm using tarkin for capital and he was using ackbar. Please for the love of jehosaphat someone tell me what I'm missing.
  • Options
    Maybe at some point when we have new ships and enough mats the rework could make sense. Today, with the ships we have, it's worse than it was before. I really didn't see that coming... I thought ships 1.0 was bad enough that nearly anything would be better. :(
  • Whazn
    262 posts Member
    Options
    Never mind I upgraded his protection/taunt skill and it fixed itself.
  • SesariaPoR
    3 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @CG thanks for taking a dump on all my farming and gearing. I am a mostly f2p who has held #1 by playing smart and gearing. Thanks for absolutely screwing my main source of crystal income, due to your insatiable greed. Ships 2.0 is absolute trash. Besides devaluing every ship, you changed the attack cadence so that I can get triple sniped at payout with no recourse. I hope you enjoy your whale income. Any chance of getting money from me just evaporated due to you clowns and this horrible update
    Post edited by SesariaPoR on
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    btd7001 wrote: »
    Thread will be deleted in 3... 2... 1...

They not being deleted as they are being merged into the main thread

• gufu21
    335 posts Member
    Options
    Good way to rebalance the game: Rework weaker, less-used units to make them more viable. Use reworks and new units to counter strategies and other units that were too OP and dominant.

Bad way to rebalance the game: Pull a bait-and-switch by applying a broad hard nerf to units that players had invested a large amount of time and resources into to acquire and progress. Make late-game, difficult to acquire units lose most of their viability.
  • Options
    I never post, but I feel strongly enough about this update to voice my opinion. I hate it. It’s a slap in the face. All the long hours spent for naught.
  • JPBrunel
    821 posts Member
    Options
    This update is horrible... Thanks for making me dump all those resources in what are now pretty much useless ships and toons... Also there is a bug with Chimaera atm. The opponents Chimaera can use the "ultimate ability", Strategic Dominance A FULL TURN EARLY.
  • Degs29
    361 posts Member
    Options
    Had quite a bit of time with ships 2.0 and I must say....I'm impressed.

It's a lot more fun now. Starting with three ships instead of five makes the battle way more tactical. Used to be I'd call in my reinforcements exactly the same way no matter the situation, but now who I bring in depends on who's left: both the opponent ships and my own ships. Before, it was just going through the motions. Now, it actually requires thought.

Mostly those complaining about ships are people who farmed specific ships that are less viable now. To that I must say...what would be the point of a ships 2.0 if it changed nothing? The whole point was to shake things up and prevent things from becoming stale. I understand that people in the top ranks had become comfortable with their crystal factory, but I don't believe that's a valid excuse for criticism.

Really, the only negative to this update IMO is a few bugs and the donations listed in the guild chat.
  • Options
    My complaints are centered around the nerf to reaper, and tfp. Then make me spend new ability materials to get half of what they had before. If CG wants to change up the meta fine. Buff something else to take its place. Nerfing good ships to oblivion is lazy. Nerfing good ships, and adding 2 more ability levels that don't get them back to prenerf power. Lazy cash grab! Those ships should have at least gotten the maxed ability where they were nerfed. The nerf shouldn't have happened to begin with. As I said before it is lazy. When I started playing this game I did not see many nerfs. Part of the appeal was how the devs seemed to be very creative with managing power shifts without nerfs. New content seemed to have some very cool possibilities. Between ship rework, Sith raid, and mythic events I see so many cheap cop out game mechanics. This may be more cost effective, but it makes the game less. It also makes me suspicious that the only reason the ship table didn't go active was because some of these $$packs would be redundant once the table goes live.
  • Options
    I like changes l. I drop like a crazy and nerfing reaper is bit... unfair, but- ships become boring and new abilities bring some fresh air. Poe and Plo Koon probably best rein skills imho
  • Options
    Thanks for ruining ship battles. What a disaster.

Roll it back. PLEAASE
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Here's the thing I don't get:

Why are people who say they've been around since ships were launched complaining about having to farm ships that used to be useless? You had 18 months, dude. Two babies could be born in the time you had to farm them. Why don't you have everything at 7* already?

Maybe not EVERYTHING, after all, my TIE Reaper is 6* and my Command Shuttle is 4*, but everything else? Yeah, no problem. Had them ages ago.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    It’s not farming ships. All of mine are at 7*’s. (sans KRU’s). It’s gearing Plo Koon and Geo Spy that’s **** me off while I fall further away from the top 20
  • RebelLion
    243 posts Member
    Options
    I'm having a problem with the ship challenges, specifically the Ship Ability Materials challenge. Prior to the update, I was regularly getting 2 stars on Tier 2 (I'm a level 77 with 5 star ships), just shy of being able to SIM it. Now I'm getting my **** handed to me...can't even take out one ship. Not sure why they felt the need to drastically increase the difficulty level [without raising the "recommended level"] for a daily task. Now I have to SIM tier one for materials I don't need to finish my dailies. Frustrating.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Degs29 wrote: »
    Had quite a bit of time with ships 2.0 and I must say....I'm impressed.
    <snip!>
    Really, the only negative to this update IMO is a few bugs and the donations listed in the guild chat.
    To be perfectly honest, I'm still extremely frustrated and disappointed by the lack of changes to Capital Ships. The changes to the ship-ships are fun and interesting, and I've had a lot of fun coming up with combinations and counter-combinations and who to use as my starting three and so on and so forth.

But, no joke, all of it is for naught without a change to Capital Ships. Tarkin still explodes your whole team after 5 turns, Thrawn still rules, Home One exists, Endurance can freaking suck it...

I'm pretty sure it was Cato the Elder who said, "Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat."
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Pretty sure Rian Johnson is the one who designed ships 2.0. No one else could possibly ruin it more.