Ships 2.0 5/22/18 [Mega]

Replies

• Dblade21
    169 posts Member
    Options
    So dont let thrawn get to it. Simple solution. I do it every battle. Thrawn goes at most 3 total times. And yes, I'm talking full whale thrawns with g12.5 pilots
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    How do your battles last as long to get the ultimates ready?
    Fun fact: You are talking about Thrawns ships ultimate to be op in the same time, when many other players - experienced player - change vom chimera to executrix or even home 1. :wink:

btw: Thrawns ultimate got nerfed a bit, it was more powerful before ship 2.0.

EDIT: but however, i also dislike ship 2.0, but not because of ship-nerfs (tie, reaper, damage in general, etc) and not bc of new abilities (on-enter-battle-abilities -> i love them), but because of the 3-vs-3-change. its called "fleet" and not 3 single ships lost in big space ...
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Pob
    36 posts Member
    Options
    Ships 2.0
    Still don't give a flying ship.
    Start battle, auto or forfeit if I'm rushed.

Ship is the vestigial limb of this game to me and allways will be.
  • Ruprecht
    112 posts Member
    Options
    Achilles wrote: »
    Ruprecht wrote: »
    It cannot stay the way it is.
    Get used to it, bc it will. They dont care about playerbase, as long as more ppl start every day than quit. And as long as Disney produce more movies, as long many ppl will start playing here ... that simple.

Honestly, i believe, the game isnt designed for "end-game" ... its designed to grow until you hit high end and notice, that everything by now is just coin flipp, be lucky or die. This is the best moment to quit, before frustration takes over hand.

Yeah but the way the challenges are now it's definitely not designed for new players.
    So I guess only veterans benefit from the update.
    If you're stuck like forever at a certain point then why keep playing, that's no fun.
  • Options
    How do your battles last as long to get the ultimates ready?
    Fun fact: You are talking about Thrawns ships ultimate to be op in the same time, when many other players - experienced player - change vom chimera to executrix or even home 1. :wink:

btw: Thrawns ultimate got nerfed a bit, it was more powerful before ship 2.0.

EDIT: but however, i also dislike ship 2.0, but not because of ship-nerfs (tie, reaper, damage in general, etc) and not bc of new abilities (on-enter-battle-abilities -> i love them), but because of the 3-vs-3-change. its called "fleet" and not 3 single ships lost in big space ...

I dislike it for the fact that it was supposed to "shorten battle times" but prior to update, win or lose, I was winning or losing in 90 seconds or less, now I'm averaging 3+min per battle
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    Hmm ... well, some of my pilots are maxed out, i run all challenges on auto (also the new one for ship-omegas) ... the game is designed to make you spend money, if the challenge is too hard, you "need" to throw money at your mobile to make your fleet/pilots stronger. Thats the target of an update.
    There are games, which are designed to make fun and nicely ask for donations. And there are games like this, who frustrates everyone to force them to spend money just to keep up competitive. ... Talking in Star Wars, its the Light and the Dark Side of Game-Design!
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    It cannot stay the way it is.
    Get used to it, bc it will. They dont care about playerbase, as long as more ppl start every day than quit. And as long as Disney produce more movies, as long many ppl will start playing here ... that simple.

Honestly, i believe, the game isnt designed for "end-game" ... its designed to grow until you hit high end and notice, that everything by now is just coin flipp, be lucky or die. This is the best moment to quit, before frustration takes over hand.

except that it isn't really as much of a coinflip as people try to convince/have convinced eachother that it is.
    Like i mentioned before in this thread, the amount of fleet battles that take place each day (whether or not people say they enjoy them or not) are imo a good indication of how "succesfull" the update is. On top of that ea/cg probably wants a reasonably high win percentage when a player fights a somewhat equal team, simply because winning is more fun. At the same time you don't want that percentage to be too high, especially not for inferior teams, since that would trivialize defence alltogether. Fleet may require some fine tuning in that regard.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Nihion wrote: »
    Even if it was 95%, the majority of people here are committed, top of their fleet arena. So they come here when things in fleet start going wrong to express their opinion. There are very few, if any, complaints from newer players or players who aren’t competitive

That's simply not true. There were some new players like myself complaining about it. Especially because the challenges now are impossible to beat.
    It's just that no one here cares for newer players so they stopped complaining.
    And of course most of the newer players didn't find their way to this forum yet.
    Tbh newer players or older players I don't care, but something has to be done. It cannot stay the way it is.

Actually... it CAN stay the way it is. They pretty much can’t turn back now, even with all the backlash
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @CG_Carrie @CG_SBCrumb 37 pages still no response from anyone.. The fact that they are refusing to even drop in and say anything is starting to get annoying. I just want a yes we are keeping, a yes we are reverting or a we are thinking about reverting so I know whether to keep dumping resources into this update.....IT'S NOT HARD

If your thinking about rolling it back or anything YOU NEED TO TELL US DEVS so I can stop wasting $$$ and cantina energy on these refresh nodes and stop spending prestige..... We NEED to KNOW where your at DEV's.......NOW
  • Options
    I thought I'd wade in and add another "noob" voice to the discussion. I've been playing a few months so this is entirely from my perspective and admitted limited experience.

The main thing I dislike is now the impact RNG has on the arena battles. Crits and TL's seem to be the be all and end all now. A few lucky/unlucky opening shots and it's hard to pull back from. Sure this works both ways but I'm finding it a lot less fun now. I play a lot of tabletop games so I'm no stranger to the dice screwing you over because you didn't pray enough to RNJesus but there are ways you can adapt mid game to at least make defeat less crushing or pull it back. this feels more like a coin flip to me.

My second gripe is the challenges seem a lot harder. This has really stifled my progress. My main goal once Phoenix were finished was to get ready for the Tarkin Zeta challenge whilst building a few empire toons along the way. It feels like I've been set back by quite a long time in this grind to the point where I'm questioning if I should keep slogging away at this as my main goal. My scoundrels could sure do with a little TLC.

I've given it a few days to get used to it and I'm still holding top 50 in my shard but I'm honestly not enjoying playing the battles anywhere near as much. The top fleets are all Biggs and 2 TIE's or Ghost/Phantom and Biggs. No more variety than there was before. I do, however, appreciate as a new shard most players will have less to work with and experiment with than older shards.

At first I thought this could be a good change and bring about a bit more variety or even thematic fleets becoming more viable but there simply are not enough ships for each faction and no capitol ships for Seps, FO and Resistance. Maybe this is in store for the future?

The buffs/nerfs are of little relevance to me directly right now as I'm still going to finish the ships I was farming for the Executrix upgrades and Zeta challenge. There simply are not many choices for me so I'll stick with the path I've started on.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    except that it isn't really as much of a coinflip as people try to convince/have convinced eachother that it is.
    Well, most ppl starts with 2 maxed ties, which one goes first? always the attacker? no! always the defender? no! ... its a coin flip. the next coin flip - or lets say "rng-impact" since its not exacly 50:50 - is, after we now know whos tie goes first, does he land target lock? This 1st move already decides, if you start with advantage or disadvantage. Every single basic attack of TIE, FO TIE, Sarges Ship, Bobas Ship, blah is "xy% chance to inflict target lock" - all random. in case of sarge its even 50% (coin flip :p). But not enough, we now went through random to find out, if our ship tries to land target lock, now a second instance of random decides, if it sticks or get resisted. in some cases (depending on ability) there is a first random-run to find out, if your ship even hits the target. its just absurd. random, random, random, ... there are not enough tie advange's to get rid of the rng-fest.
    Left by design.
  • Streve
    15 posts Member
    Options
    Seems like most people use either of the two star destroyers. I use Endurance. Its very challenging going up against star destroyers, but now it's impossible since we have gone to 3v3. In order to stay competitive I'm gonna have to level one of my destroyers. Capitol ships have become unbalanced. Specially since convergence got nerfed.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Well, most ppl starts with 2 maxed ties, which one goes first? always the attacker? no! always the defender? no! ... its a coin flip. the next coin flip - or lets say "rng-impact" since its not exacly 50:50 - is, after we now know whos tie goes first, does he land target lock? This 1st move already decides, if you start with advantage or disadvantage. Every single basic attack of TIE, FO TIE, Sarges Ship, Bobas Ship, blah is "xy% chance to inflict target lock" - all random. in case of sarge its even 50% (coin flip :p). But not enough, we now went through random to find out, if our ship tries to land target lock, now a second instance of random decides, if it sticks or get resisted. in some cases (depending on ability) there is a first random-run to find out, if your ship even hits the target. its just absurd. random, random, random, ... there are not enough tie advange's to get rid of the rng-fest.

The outcome of the match isn't a coinflip, eventhough who's Tie goes first when they have exactly the same speed is a coinflip. So it's more like a "win or get unlucky and die" than a "get lucky or die". RNG influences the outcome of the match, but isn't the sole determining factor.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

That problem lies in the core setting of the game, ship arena is just a symptom. In squad arena, mirror matches are often decided by several layers of randomness just like with ships (which Vader goes first? Does he land a key ability lock? How many guys EP stuns?). The main difference is that in squads, you can actively avoid mirrors because there is at least some diversity. Ships had virtually no diversity at all, and whether the update managed to change that remains to be seen. With the miserable drop rate of reinforcement materials, few people have those abilities maxed. If the situation doesn't change once people have had time to max their reinforcements and level/gear pilots and ships they hadn't before, then we can say the update failed in this regard. IMO, there hasn't been enough time yet.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »

That problem lies in the core setting of the game, ship arena is just a symptom. In squad arena, mirror matches are often decided by several layers of randomness just like with ships (which Vader goes first? Does he land a key ability lock? How many guys EP stuns?). The main difference is that in squads, you can actively avoid mirrors because there is at least some diversity. Ships had virtually no diversity at all, and whether the update managed to change that remains to be seen. With the miserable drop rate of reinforcement materials, few people have those abilities maxed. If the situation doesn't change once people have had time to max their reinforcements and level/gear pilots and ships they hadn't before, then we can say the update failed in this regard. IMO, there hasn't been enough time yet.

I do believe we've got more "tools" at our disposal in squad arena to minimize the effect of randomness. I'm not just refering to mods, but to team choice aswell as the AI making terrible and predictable choices wich makes it relatively easy to overcome "bad luck". Even in a completely equal mirror match, the one on offence usually wins. Some mirror matches are more proned to be influenced by randomness than others, but that can easily be overcome by teamchoice and/or mods.
    Just a small side note, other than that i agree with your comment.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

The outcome of the match isn't a coinflip, eventhough who's Tie goes first when they have exactly the same speed is a coinflip. So it's more like a "win or get unlucky and die" than a "get lucky or die". RNG influences the outcome of the match, but isn't the sole determining factor.

The biggest issue is that while RNG might not be the sole determining factor, it certainly seems to be a much larger factor in the final outcome in ships 2.0 than it was prior to the update. This runs contrary to what CG stated one of the goals for Ships 2.0 was to be - namely MORE strategy. That's not possible if RNG has an increased effect on the battle's outcome.

They also stated that one of the goals was quicker battles (hence the reduced timer). Also, for most people posting that have been posting in various game chats I participate in (shard, fleet, guild, etc.) they all are bemoaning the INCREASE in battle time length.

I am not sure exactly what CG was trying to accomplish with Ships 2.0 - but it doesn't come anywhere near accomplishing what there stated goals were.

All of that said, I am fairly certain we are stuck with it and better learn to adapt. Mainly because CG has usually not rolled back content - at least not completely. The disappointing thing is there are so many ways they could have done this better:

1) They could have simply released more ships to shift the meta, instead of obliterating the ships/pilots people had been farming for 18+ months.
    2) They could have introduced the changes in phases (i.e. reworked certain ships - a few at a time - like they do for faction reworks). Or just started withe reinforcement abilities, then reworked abilities.
    3) Dropped from 5 to 4 starting ships...then eventually to 3 if that seemed to be working as intended.

Unfortunately, they did what has been typical as of late - used a sledge hammer where a scalpel would have sufficed and probably, preferred.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

The biggest issue is that while RNG might not be the sole determining factor, it certainly seems to be a much larger factor in the final outcome in ships 2.0 than it was prior to the update. This runs contrary to what CG stated one of the goals for Ships 2.0 was to be - namely MORE strategy. That's not possible if RNG has an increased effect on the battle's outcome.

They also stated that one of the goals was quicker battles (hence the reduced timer). Also, for most people posting that have been posting in various game chats I participate in (shard, fleet, guild, etc.) they all are bemoaning the INCREASE in battle time length.

I am not sure exactly what CG was trying to accomplish with Ships 2.0 - but it doesn't come anywhere near accomplishing what there stated goals were.

All of that said, I am fairly certain we are stuck with it and better learn to adapt. Mainly because CG has usually not rolled back content - at least not completely. The disappointing thing is there are so many ways they could have done this better:

1) They could have simply released more ships to shift the meta, instead of obliterating the ships/pilots people had been farming for 18+ months.
    2) They could have introduced the changes in phases (i.e. reworked certain ships - a few at a time - like they do for faction reworks). Or just started withe reinforcement abilities, then reworked abilities.
    3) Dropped from 5 to 4 starting ships...then eventually to 3 if that seemed to be working as intended.

Unfortunately, they did what has been typical as of late - used a sledge hammer where a scalpel would have sufficed and probably, preferred.

Preach. I agree with all of this.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I’d like to believe that what CG has promised will be the case in the end. We are mostly all facing mirror matches, which has been proven to be RNG based in Fleet and in Arena.

The problem we currently have is centered around the fact that we don’t have the right teams out. Get those Galactic Republic teams geared up, the Geos, the Rebels. Then tell me how your matches are going?

1) I also believe that this 2.0, in a sense, DID release new ships. How many people used the geos? The Republic? Phoenix (a few I’m sure, but now they are much more valuable)? People will now be using more ships in Fleet arena than you have ever seen.

2) if they introduced new ships in phases, then either you went for the first released ships or you fall behind while waiting for the next set. Or you skip the first, hoping the second is better, only to find out that you should have went for the first after all. A release all at once gives you all the options and all the equal chance/time at strategizing.

3) Not sure what a gradual drop in starting ships would achieve. That would just mess with strategies every time it got reduced. Best to rip the bandaid off.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I personally never put any stock into what ea/cg says about their intentions and what not. They usually just spin it into something possitive eventhough they know full well it's not. Most blatant example being newly released marquee toons being part of phase 4/5/6 platoon requirements. So yea, we've both been playing and reading this forum long enough to know they're full ..... well, you get the point.
    As for how the update actually panned out, i'm still holding off judgement untill the meta has settled. Currently got a nice win/loss ratio with not that great of a fleet (top100/top50 region). As i said earlier, it may need some tuning.
    On top of that ea/cg probably wants a reasonably high win percentage when a player fights a somewhat equal team, simply because winning is more fun. At the same time you don't want that percentage to be too high, especially not for inferior teams, since that would trivialize defence alltogether. Fleet may require some fine tuning in that regard.

It's probably worthy of debate, but that's not possible because people exxagurate to an extent that they're just straight up lying.
  • Mario15011968
    48 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It will get worse and not better. You have surely aligned the following updates on this update and you will not change it. Unfortunately, almost everything these developers have done in the last months have been something most players hate. No matter where I look, whether here, in other forums or in the Google Play Store, everywhere just anger and hate for the updates of the last months. Such things just hurt the name cg
  • Dblade21
    169 posts Member
    Options
    Streve wrote: »
    Seems like most people use either of the two star destroyers. I use Endurance. Its very challenging going up against star destroyers, but now it's impossible since we have gone to 3v3. In order to stay competitive I'm gonna have to level one of my destroyers. Capitol ships have become unbalanced. Specially since convergence got nerfed.

I run mace and have no problem with either of the DS commanders. Upgrade your pilots and ships, and you'll improve
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    It will get worse and not better. You have surely aligned the following updates on this update and you will not change it. Unfortunately, almost everything these developers have done in the last months have been something most players hate. No matter where I look, whether here, in other forums or in the Google Play Store, everywhere just anger and hate for the updates of the last months. Such things just hurt the name cg

I wonder why this game is still making money hand over fist though ;)
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    Options

Because... Star Wars. As much as it pains me, if this game was skinned with Dune instead of SW, it would have died already. Fandom is a powerful pull.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    Muaddib wrote: »

Because... Star Wars. As much as it pains me, if this game was skinned with Dune instead of SW, it would have died already. Fandom is a powerful pull.

If it weren’t Star Wars, I would have dropped it immediately for that Marvel game. No matter how much I’ve invested.

Not because of the changes necessarily, I’ve liked those made in the past, and I think I’ll like this one
  • Options
    OH NO - Three new LS characters

This...and existing investment. Many people are probably unwilling to walk away from something they have put a lot of blood and possibly treasure into. And it's exactly that existing investment that has many players upset. It's easy to feel that a certain trust has been violated with the reduction in usable ships and nerfing of existing ones.

Why would I bother investing in Geonosians at this point if I'm uncertain how long that investment will be fruitful?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I'm reasonably sure it wouldn't have died. It wouldn't have become this big either, but it's a good game nontheless. You'd be suprised how many non sw fans play this game, myself included.
    It's not just the sw theme that keeps players playing and spending, otherwise every sw game would have been a huge hit.
  • Princerhaegar04
    26 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I get what you're saying man. Others either don't care, care, or are part of the people that love this update that lets them climb easily now with under geared pilots.
    Ships 2.0 is a joke. (Another failed roll out)
    And they wonder why folk look else where
    To fulfill their gaming appetite. Coughs...marvel...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying man. Others either don't care, care, or are part of the people that love this update that lets them climb easily now with under geared pilots.
    Ships 2.0 is a joke. (Another failed roll out)
    And they wonder why folk look else where
    To fulfill their gaming appetite. Coughs...marvel...

People can climb easily now with under geared pilots?
  • Westvleteren12
    62 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people say that they are upset that Reaper isn't as valuable as it used to be. That's definitely true for the TM reduction. However, I'm finding it very useful as my first reinforcement under Thrawn. Since my Thrawn usually reinforces after the opponent, I get to see what the other guy brings to the field. If it's a taunter like Boba, Reaper comes in very handy to clear all their buffs. From then on, the TM reduction is probably helping me a little to get to my ultimate.
    Post edited by Westvleteren12 on
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    The new 3vs3 feels more RNG-dependent. A non-reciprocated target lock and a lucky crit or two...and all of a sudden a 2 vs 3 is much more dramatic of a balance than 4 vs 5.

Usually whichever capital ship gets to its ultimate first wins...so ... that's about what it was before. Survive until ultimate, then win.