Ships 2.0 5/22/18 [Mega]

Replies

• Decay
    109 posts Member
    Options
    And how is the disaster that is Ships 2.0 going to destroy the ability to take capital ships up a star with the mastery events in June. I am sure my son's account will not win a single battle .

And at that time as now there will be radio silence from the community non-stop managers . Cannot call them community managers as they are not doing their job !
  • Options
    Wasnt the update supposed to add variance? Nah. Nice try.

It was a relatively easy fix. Reaper and tfp were OP and needed a nerf. Small buffs to the other capital ships to stop Chimaera from being ridiculously OP. Problem solved.

Now its just a race to Thrawns ultimate with 95% reinforcing with Slave 1 first instead of Scimitar.
  • Options

It was a relatively easy fix. Reaper and tfp were OP and needed a nerf. Small buffs to the other capital ships to stop Chimaera from being ridiculously OP. Problem solved.

Now its just a race to Thrawns ultimate with 95% reinforcing with Slave 1 first instead of Scimitar.

I completely disagree with Reaper and TFP needing a nerf. That's not how you add balance, that's how you make your player base angry and ruin a good game. Reaper is one of the worst farms in the game, you don't wait until many of your players have finally finished it and then nerf it to the shelf if you don't want to lose players. The way you handle that is to buff other ships around them so there are other options. Or if you absolutely have to nerf them you nerf the OP ability and buff them in another way to keep them relevant.
  • Options
    SirOberon wrote: »

I completely disagree with Reaper and TFP needing a nerf. That's not how you add balance, that's how you make your player base angry and ruin a good game. Reaper is one of the worst farms in the game, you don't wait until many of your players have finally finished it and then nerf it to the shelf if you don't want to lose players. The way you handle that is to buff other ships around them so there are other options. Or if you absolutely have to nerf them you nerf the OP ability and buff them in another way to keep them relevant.

You want something to whine about? Try farming Shoretrooper to 7* off that one node and THEN AFTER that they add Reaper to the rewards. Then you might find yourself in my position where i should have had a 7* Reaper but was forced to refaelrm the same node again. I only made it to 5 stars.

But to respond, any ship that effects capital ship TM is going to be OP. Fine, you want Reaper to take it away? Make it 5%, or 10%. Not 30 freaking 5. Of course EVERYONE is then going to use it. If they want balance this was a terrible idea. You want TFP to add TM to your capital ship? Cool, make it 5 or 10 per dodge with a lower dodge rating. But 35%? With a near 50% dodge rate? Of course EVERYONE is going to use it.
    If you are concerned about player base being annoyed, think this way. Whats better? My few tweaks, or the complete screw job they did to ships while still fixing nothing and adding no balance.
  • SirOberon
    40 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

You want something to whine about? Try farming Shoretrooper to 7* off that one node and THEN AFTER that they add Reaper to the rewards. Then you might find yourself in my position where i should have had a 7* Reaper but was forced to refaelrm the same node again. I only made it to 5 stars.

But to respond, any ship that effects capital ship TM is going to be OP. Fine, you want Reaper to take it away? Make it 5%, or 10%. Not 30 freaking 5. Of course EVERYONE is then going to use it. If they want balance this was a terrible idea. You want TFP to add TM to your capital ship? Cool, make it 5 or 10 per dodge with a lower dodge rating. But 35%? With a near 50% dodge rate? Of course EVERYONE is going to use it.
    If you are concerned about player base being annoyed, think this way. Whats better? My few tweaks, or the complete screw job they did to ships while still fixing nothing and adding no balance.

In what world is disagreeing with your opinion whining? Just so ya know, that's exactly the same thing that happened to me. Completed one of the worst grinds in the game in ST, then they add Reaper so I did it all over again.

If you want to argue the numbers for Reaper and TFP were too much, fine, I won't disagree, but once you add them to the game nerfing them is almost never the answer. Ship / toon nerfs are a sign of failure IMO. Failure in the first place not testing well enough to have the ship balanced when it was released, and failure after the fact not doing the work to balance it out the right way.

Either way, we agree on the final point. What we have now is not balance. Far from it.
  • Options

In what world is disagreeing with your opinion whining? Just so ya know, that's exactly the same thing that happened to me. Completed one of the worst grinds in the game in ST, then they add Reaper so I did it all over again.

If you want to argue the numbers for Reaper and TFP were too much, fine, I won't disagree, but once you add them to the game nerfing them is almost never the answer. Ship / toon nerfs are a sign of failure IMO. Failure in the first place not testing well enough to have the ship balanced when it was released, and failure after the fact not doing the work to balance it out the right way.

Either way, we agree on the final point. What we have now is not balance. Far from it.

I just meant whine in general. I realize after it came off like an attack. Wasnt meant to be.
  • Options
    Anyone else seeing obvious bugs? My chimaera has all abilities maxed. The tractor beam is supposed to apply speed down to enemies who evade it. Just had a battle where enemy TFP evaded but no speed down and no resist notice. To make matters worse, enemy Chimaera used the ultimate on his third turn, a full turn early. How can you win against that? Maybe everyone wouldn’t be so **** about this update if they weren’t always getting F’d by bugs. I’ll bet most don’t even notice the bugs but are just mad they can’t beat teams they used to beat.
  • Options
    I cannot remember using my Executrix's basic attack since the update....
    I usually do:
    1. Heavy Ion Cannon
    2. Executive Order
    3. Reinforce
    4. Executive Order/Ion Cannon
    5. Executive Order/Ion Cannon
    6. Reinforce
    Is it just me?
  • Options
    I cannot remember using my Executrix's basic attack since the update....
    I usually do:
    1. Heavy Ion Cannon
    2. Executive Order
    3. Reinforce
    4. Executive Order/Ion Cannon
    5. Executive Order/Ion Cannon
    6. Reinforce
    Is it just me?

Nope, that’s the correct order
  • Kiritoismyname
    845 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    1.3k comments. 90% disliking ships 2.0.

No comments by @CG_Carrie or the rest of the devs.

What's going on?

• Options

What's going on?

Basically the improvement is some part of ships 2.0 that none of us like or can find (not sure which).
    I hate these new timesinks called Tb/tw. Annoying features.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

What's going on?

Communication 2.0. It's similar to 1.0, but it's been nerfed, is more random and generally not as good. ;)

In all seriousness, what do you expect then to say? They've painted themselves into a proverbial corner. They're not going to retract it. That would be admitting failure - which they generally don't do (save for the STR reward debacle).

They won't say "Yep! Everything is perfect and we think it's great!" as that would just relight the fire of the majority of the player base who don't like the update.

Basically, I expect them to post something next week that basically says "we know some of you aren't enjoying ships 2.0, but it's for the health of the game, give it a chance, it's better for you in the long run, trust us, etc." probably followed by the usual "thank you for your feedback, our players our important to us, we value your opinion, etc." nonsense.

Then closing with some new and "exciting" things they have planned for the future, wishes for a good week (ir weekend - depending on how late the post comes) age closing with a catchy Star Wars-y "May the Force be with you" tovremind most of us off the only reason many of us are still playing.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Ebbda
    261 posts Member
    Options
    I don't expect anything of note on this for some time.

Maybe they'll pop a nice questionnaire for dozens of folks to complete about 2.0?

Ask yourself this: Am I still getting challenge rewards from raids?

The disconnect between both sides remains a massive divide that needs serious TLC.
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

What's going on?

Communication 2.0. It's similar to 1.0, but it's been nerfed, is more random and generally not as good. ;)

This is what happens when you don’t listen to your fans.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Decay wrote: »
    Zero comments from CG and their newly hired communication and forum manager. Why should the forum and players expect actual communication about a disaster of an area? Why should we expect better from CG and their community managers?

Maybe we will eventually learn our lesson

Radio silence from CG for a week+ following the drop of an unpopular update has always been the MO. It's as old as complaints about drop rates. It's been the case since launch - yet people act surprised every time.

The more things change....
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • BuffedID
    10 posts Member
    Options
    We know why it came. so that people started to farm the fleet genosians, so far no one used it, and suddenly now it turned out that such ships as: genosians, clone sargets are good. People who lost a lot of time to get a reaper, maybe they lost months and bought crystals are in black .... Curiosity, yesterday I fought a fleet of tarkin, had the first imperial assault, on the opposite side was: itf, scimitar and boba without protection, after imperial assaulcie killed only boba, and the rest had even untouched hp, for comparison, when the opposite tarkin used imperial assault, in my case was biggs, full hp and 50% def, itf and silencer full hp and 20% def, after their raid was only biggs with half hp. I will add that I and my opponent have an imperial assault on level 5 of LVL.
    In the same way, healing aa does not remove target lock from the selected unit. Everything reported to ea, no reaction
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Much of the discussion here is that in a very mature shard, 3v3 makes the battles so rng dependent that it takes the fun out of everything. Balances have to be made to biggs alright, but as for the starting lineup, we definitely need a change to it or how soon reinforcements come.

No, much of the "discussion" here is that in a very mature leaderboard, players don't want to risk anything new so they rely on the ships they had from 1.0 which are now no longer overpowered, meaning they lose more and blame it on randomness.

Players would rather complain and pout and hold their breath until their face turns blue instead of accept the new system and work on ships that are more stable and reliable in 2.0. As if they think they can force a reversion to 1.0 if they just have a large enough, loud enough tantrum.

This is all largely predicated on the idea that you need TIE Pilot to win, because TIE will get you target locks and speed up your capital ship. This is an outdated bad idea and the folks who are dropping so quickly won't give it up because it used to work. You don't need TIE Pilot. You need 5s.

I get it--for 15 months you got easy rewards because no one liked ships enough to bother competing, and the meta was so set in stone that a team of British explorers stole it from its native land and put it in a museum. But the meta has changed now and it will never go back to what it was. Move on. Whether that means move on by ignoring ships, move on by adapting and creating a new lineup, or move on to a new game doesn't matter. Just go do it and stop coming here to reminisce about how good you had it under an old, broken system that was only good to you because no one cared enough to make it hard for you.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • RebelLion
    243 posts Member
    Options
    And level 60 players still can't finish their daily activities until they've spent enough time upgrading their ships to complete the much more difficult daily ship/fleet challenges.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Much of the discussion here is that in a very mature shard, 3v3 makes the battles so rng dependent that it takes the fun out of everything. Balances have to be made to biggs alright, but as for the starting lineup, we definitely need a change to it or how soon reinforcements come.

No, much of the "discussion" here is that in a very mature leaderboard, players don't want to risk anything new so they rely on the ships they had from 1.0 which are now no longer overpowered, meaning they lose more and blame it on randomness.

Players would rather complain and pout and hold their breath until their face turns blue instead of accept the new system and work on ships that are more stable and reliable in 2.0. As if they think they can force a reversion to 1.0 if they just have a large enough, loud enough tantrum.

This is all largely predicated on the idea that you need TIE Pilot to win, because TIE will get you target locks and speed up your capital ship. This is an outdated bad idea and the folks who are dropping so quickly won't give it up because it used to work. You don't need TIE Pilot. You need 5s.

I get it--for 15 months you got easy rewards because no one liked ships enough to bother competing, and the meta was so set in stone that a team of British explorers stole it from its native land and put it in a museum. But the meta has changed now and it will never go back to what it was. Move on. Whether that means move on by ignoring ships, move on by adapting and creating a new lineup, or move on to a new game doesn't matter. Just go do it and stop coming here to reminisce about how good you had it under an old, broken system that was only good to you because no one cared enough to make it hard for you.

Nice straw man. I don't run TFP. I still finish on the top of my fleet arena shard. And I still think this is one of the single worst updates in the two and half years I've been playing the game.

Ships 2.0 effectively reduced (or will, if it hasn't happened on your shard yet) variety, as everyone will run the same 3 starting ships. Most of the people on mature shards have all ships at 7* anyway. Some may need to gear up a pilot or two at most.

Ships 2.0 DIDN'T decrease battle time. And it increased the effects of RNG, because with fewer starting ships and fewer options, players ability to mitigate bad RNG is greatly reduced.

And that's not even mentioning the hard nerf of several ships and their pilots - which is also an annoying and disturbing precedent.

• Options

Wrong.
    First, i have every ship unlocked minus millenium falcon. I have them all max level and pretty high gear. What you are saying is just wrong. The same ships are still the best. Unless you 500+ reinforcement mats you can put into 15 or so ships you strnt gonna compete with the basics of a tfp/chimaera combo. Throw in biggs and vader and thats better than 99% of the other combinations.
    Second, things are LESS active now than before. To maintain top 10 i had to use all 5 attempts a day but usually refreshed them at least once to stay up there. Now i can get by using maybe three arena attempts.
    No one is even as close to as active in ships as before, because its a terrible update. Bottom line.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    I use Vader, Biggs, 5s. Where's the RNG in that? Vader always hits and always target locks. 5s goes first unless there's a TIE, but his target lock can't be resisted.

I use Clone Sgt out of reserve who is always taunting so long as he has protection, and his special always hits. Again, no randomness.

Poe's special always hits, against folks with no protection like the vaunted TIE it always crits.

You can mitigate randomness into the ground easily with 2.0. There are excellent solutions out there, just go use them instead of being very sad all the time that they don't exist.
  • Far327
    3 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I started playing GOH in Oct 2017. I quickly ranked my fleet arena as fast as I could once I saw the reward tiers. Within a matter of a couple weeks I was in the top 5 daily with Endurance and the cast of GR ships and some Rebel ships. Mind you, I joined a young server, so ranking fast wasn’t all that hard.

But the unique thing was the top 20 players were always able to battle it out daily for 1st place. There seemed to be a steady fairness and balance. It didn’t matter which capital ships were used as they all had their strong and weak points. There was variety, challenge and good competition. You had time to use strategy with more ships available.

Unfortunately this has all changed now after the 2.0 update. Every single player is now using the same 3 ships. Vader, ITF and Biggs. Everyone is using Executrix. Anyone else who was ranked at the top and had not invested in an Empire fleet is completely unable to compete now. The balance of capital ships is slanted very badly in favor of Executrix. Even Chimera can’t stand a chance most of the time. I am now lucky to get past rank 20. And if I do, it takes me at least 6 battles to win against players I typically would defeat easily.

Power rankings mean absolutely nothing. Players with 100,000 less power ranking are winning against my fleet. This due to the severe imbalances of fleet mechanics. And no surprise, it is always Vader, ITF and Biggs w/ Executrix defeating me 95% of the time. 5 star Executrix sometimes!

I feel betrayed having invested so much time and money into this game. I will be uninstalling, but will monitor the forums in hopes that this issue is resolved.

Now, some things I have noticed while playing these past 8 months. These changes are all for a cash grab. The new material packs were available for purchase together with the update. Many rushed to buy them, including myself in order to ensure your rank would hold. The next phase will be the Geonosian ship updates. Geonosian ships were easily used the least by players. Which means most players have not invested into these ships. EA/CG can monitor players account activity and likely they saw an opportunity to make money here. By making Geonosians more powerful, players will find value in purchasing a future ship pack(s). So now they will make them elite in there abilities. It will tempt players to improve their fleet in hopes of winning against the terrible RNG odds, and invincible cookie cutter 3 ship crews. I feel these changes were very intentional.

My theory regarding the 2.0 ships shuffling. If you were a lower ranked player in fleet, you likely saw little reason to try for the top. Especially on an aged server. You likely aren't spending money either. But, now players have a chance to defeat whales at the top due to the heavy imbalances. I can see this leading to more purchases and investment from lower ranking players as they build excitement knowing they have a chance to earn top tier rewards. Whales at the top have already made such investments. Their money is spent. EA/CG sees less profit from these whales now. These players are comfortable with their teams and ranks. They have little reason to purchase anything .But lower ranking players are hungry to compete and earn rewards. It's not hard to recognize that this is a business strategy in order to bring more inclusiveness with lower ranking players in hopes they will throw money at the game.

This is just a strategy for a quick profit to meet a quarterly profit quota. This is not an investment to enrich the player experience per the request of players. Don't be blinded by the facts. This game is meant to make money. It has very little purpose otherwise.
    Post edited by Far327 on
  • Jed_Eye
    176 posts Member
    Options

Nice straw man. I don't run TFP. I still finish on the top of my fleet arena shard. And I still think this is one of the single worst updates in the two and half years I've been playing the game.

Ships 2.0 effectively reduced (or will, if it hasn't happened on your shard yet) variety, as everyone will run the same 3 starting ships. Most of the people on mature shards have all ships at 7* anyway. Some may need to gear up a pilot or two at most.

Ships 2.0 DIDN'T decrease battle time. And it increased the effects of RNG, because with fewer starting ships and fewer options, players ability to mitigate bad RNG is greatly reduced.

And that's not even mentioning the hard nerf of several ships and their pilots - which is also an annoying and disturbing precedent.

Nailed it
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Jed_Eye wrote: »

Nailed it

No, he didn't. He straw-manned himself. They said that 2.0 is intended to give a rock-paper-scissors feel to your lineups. Any three-ship starting lineup has a counter lineup. If you see that everyone is running the same thing, you run its counter and you jump ranks. If they keep insisting on throwing rock, just throw paper and make them feel as dumb as they are. You have the advantage in that you get to pick your opponent when you attack, they don't get to change their lineup to suit you. The fact that folks are losing battles as often as they are is because they keep throwing rock at rock and hoping they've got the better rock, instead of just switching over to paper.

This also conveniently ignores that everyone was ALREADY using the same five ships in 1.0. So not only is it a flawed argument from the standpoint that it's wrong, it's a flawed argument in that at worst it's a lateral change.

It didn't increase the effects of randomness for what I said above--there are several ships that are stable and reliable and unused because people would rather sit in their own messy diapers than accept the new pants available to them.

The ships that got balanced were woefully broken and holding back ships as a whole. TIE Reaper and TIE Fighter with 50% dodge were broken and they were broken for 15 consecutive months that you profited from. What, you want another 15 for them to make it up to you? Fleet was unsustainable if every new ship had to be as good as or better than the ships that got brought down in line. It's the same problem Magic had with the original Moxes and Lotus--when you have a handful of cards that are just head and shoulders above everything else, you can't create new stuff that people will use without just destroying everything. Those were ships that had to be scaled back.
  • Options
    The nerfs, IMO, are very good. Reaper removing only 15% tm, but still being a valuable asset in close matches. Plus his buff stripping and prot up.
    Tfp's dodge rate being reduced, but giving more tm per dodge. All these are pretty good moves imo. ( Except buggs still being OP and a prerequisite in any top team).

But seriously. The rng involved in 3vs3.... matches are being decided by coinflips.

Just.. just change it back to 5! Trust me, this update will become really good with that simple change! Give the players a chance to *actually control* the outcome of their battles in most cases.

Ps. And no. This isn't coming from someone who has enjoyed staying at top w/o competition, and who's struggling now.
    This is coming from someone who still gets the rank he got before. Falls as low as he did before. Just with more matches to play now.
    Nope, i don't play more because i like it. I do it for the crystals.
  • Vestrit
    10 posts Member
    Options
    the change in challenge difficulty is my pet peevee with this update, my shards has maybe 10ish people that managed to get the ships needed before the update. the rest of us will likely to be stuck for weeks now. thats weeks without a chance to take on the next tier of ability challenges that some people we are competing against can.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    but if they revert it back to 5v5 the reinforcements will not have as big of an impact anymore, wich is one of the things i do like about the update.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Jed_Eye wrote: »

Nailed it

No, he didn't. He straw-manned himself. They said that 2.0 is intended to give a rock-paper-scissors feel to your lineups. Any three-ship starting lineup has a counter lineup. If you see that everyone is running the same thing, you run its counter and you jump ranks. If they keep insisting on throwing rock, just throw paper and make them feel as dumb as they are. You have the advantage in that you get to pick your opponent when you attack, they don't get to change their lineup to suit you. The fact that folks are losing battles as often as they are is because they keep throwing rock at rock and hoping they've got the better rock, instead of just switching over to paper.

This also conveniently ignores that everyone was ALREADY using the same five ships in 1.0. So not only is it a flawed argument from the standpoint that it's wrong, it's a flawed argument in that at worst it's a lateral change.

It didn't increase the effects of randomness for what I said above--there are several ships that are stable and reliable and unused because people would rather sit in their own messy diapers than accept the new pants available to them.

The ships that got balanced were woefully broken and holding back ships as a whole. TIE Reaper and TIE Fighter with 50% dodge were broken and they were broken for 15 consecutive months that you profited from. What, you want another 15 for them to make it up to you? Fleet was unsustainable if every new ship had to be as good as or better than the ships that got brought down in line. It's the same problem Magic had with the original Moxes and Lotus--when you have a handful of cards that are just head and shoulders above everything else, you can't create new stuff that people will use without just destroying everything. Those were ships that had to be scaled back.

First off, no one ever said the previous system was perfect. But there were numerous ways to "fix" it with out completely ruining ships - which they did.

Secondly, yes, there are ways to mitigate RNG. I also run an RNG-free starting 3. But random dodges, who crits and who doesn't, and who the AI targets and when is all random. Also, if the opposing teams still to choose to run TFP and FOTP and they dodge, double tap, target lock (or don't) is also more randomness added to the equation. And all of that RNG is less easily overcome if it breaks against you, with only 3 starting ships.

I get it - you and about 6 other people like Ships 2.0. Most don't. You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own set of facts. RNG still exists - and fewer number of starting ships greatly hampers a player's ability to mitigate it. Especially if Bistan or your Vader is gone before you move thanks to FOTP double tap and TFP hit with crits on all 3 and his Chim wins the TM coin flip.

Oh, and just a tip - if you really want to eliminate rng, Bistan > Fives. Bistan's basic can't be evaded either.

Post edited by Nikoms565 on

• Options
    I can't honestly say that I'm surprised that no one from CG has responded. Too much of this thread is just ranting about it being **** because it's different, and the new format hasn't been around long enough to generate any meaningful data for them to work from because people are still figuring out what works best with this new setup.

We don't even have the fleet table yet, so this new format isn't even set up properly yet. So take a deep breath, calm down, and wait to see what they're actually going to do with it in full before you start kicking and screaming. Let them finish the rollout, take some time to get some useful data and constructive feedback, and see what they do.

Now I will grant you; I've only just hit level 84, so I don't have maxed out ships and all the rest. But this change has made very little difference to me in fleet arena. Barring a particularly bad run of rng, I'm still taking first, so I'm frankly somewhat baffled by the intensity of responses in here.Apparently fleet is an entirely different game once you start maxing out ships, and bears little to no resemblance to the gameplay before that point.

Dude you comment on something and you just hit level 84 with no max ships? It's comical. It's like asking a chef to diagnose a patient. Haha come on man get with it brother, ships 2.0 is a joke. It's stinks real bad and their lack of response to the community is disrespectful. Savvy
  • Bane1492
    121 posts Member
    Options
    Here's just one example of what goes on regularly now.

I got the first 2 moves when the battle started because my pilots are higher geared and my ships are faster. After AI got done going, mind you I already had 2 turns, the fleets looked like this:

CYQd895.png

Before I knew it, it looked like this:

5iy0pvL.png

This isn't a once in a blue moon thing, but often. Sometimes you can't even kill enemy biggs because enemy team goes and goes, target locking constantly giving him protection. Yet your biggs dies faster than any other ship in the fleets.

Fix this. Change it back.