[Mega] An Ancient Journey of Redemption

Replies

  • ksomm5 wrote: »
    Grimstoned wrote: »
    Are there plans on releasing information on Revan and his event today?

    Need to give it some time. They are on West Coast time.

    Indeed, the coffee pot only just started brewing. Honestly, if the rumors are true that Revan's kit was judged lacking by the test group and they all ended up working throughout the weekend to improve it, then I'm not expecting a kit reveal until tomorrow, but fingers crossed.
  • Roahn
    231 posts Member
    Is it me or is everyone missing the bigger picture here. So much money spent for so little a return. Since the game has been launched almost 3 years ago. We've seen the addition of 3 raids, territory wars and territory battles, ships holo table area and quite a few toons and their events to unlock them and the addition of a node or 2 on missions and cantina holo tables. All of that together really isn't that much when you add it up and now we're being set up for the biggest money grab in the history of the game. For what, Jedi Knight Revan and the event to unlock him. The amount of money that might be spent on the 5 toons to meet the requirements needed to get Jedi Knight Revan could be quite a lot of coin. Oh I know the game needs to make money and am thankful to the whales and dalphins for spending the cash. I just want a better return for the money I'm going to spend on a game that I'm a huge fan of or rather a huge fan of the Star Wars franchise.
  • Cossin, you're wasting your breath.

    You're trying to preach logic to people who blindly defend the actions presented, and will do so regardless of whatever you say.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Roahn wrote: »
    Is it me or is everyone missing the bigger picture here. So much money spent for so little a return. Since the game has been launched almost 3 years ago. We've seen the addition of 3 raids, territory wars and territory battles, ships holo table area and quite a few toons and their events to unlock them and the addition of a node or 2 on missions and cantina holo tables. All of that together really isn't that much when you add it up and now we're being set up for the biggest money grab in the history of the game. For what, Jedi Knight Revan and the event to unlock him. The amount of money that might be spent on the 5 toons to meet the requirements needed to get Jedi Knight Revan could be quite a lot of coin. Oh I know the game needs to make money and am thankful to the whales and dalphins for spending the cash. I just want a better return for the money I'm going to spend on a game that I'm a huge fan of or rather a huge fan of the Star Wars franchise.
    Well, I personally think the model itself is okay. Obviously, they do earn a lot more or have a bigger profit margin with mobile freemium games, otherwise there wouldn‘t be so many big companies going for them as well (assume I imagine, production costs are significantly lower due to the lower performance of mobile devices: e.g. fewer polygons, fewer animations, shaders etc). While I see your point regarding the content vs income (afaik last month was another 12 Million US $ made by this game for EA/CG), I think if the rate you‘d get events, toons, raids it would be simply overwhelming for the players. You wouldn‘t be able to keep up u less playing 24/7 (with faster energy regen etc). Thus a slower approach is, in my mind, the better one. What I really would like to point out is, that with that big revenue, mistakes shouldn‘t happen. STR problems (ST Han e.g.), buggy abilities or now the recent Revan rework because he is not up to the expectations shouldn‘t have happened if merely a part of that money flows in the right direction. Even if we assume that 50%, which is very highly measured afaik, of the income would go into platform fees, maintenance, wages, advertisement, development; there would still be pure income of roughly 5-6 million US $... a month!

    Cossin, you're wasting your breath.

    You're trying to preach logic to people who blindly defend the actions presented, and will do so regardless of whatever you say.
    Maybe it‘s my teacher syndrome... I won‘t give up trying to work with logic and reason ;-p

  • I have 3 shardmate quit the game with same explanation. EA always ruins the franchises we love. Have not you seen the damage already CG?
  • Wonder what the CG guys are doing right now?
  • Grimstoned wrote: »
    Wonder what the CG guys are doing right now?

    Most likely still running tests and retuning Revan because the initial feedback by testers was so bad. They may have no choice but to push his event back because of this. Who knows though.
  • I thought the model was fine.

    I bought the Zaal/Mission pack just to be safe - but I would have made it sometime during the event even if I didn't.

    The writing was on the wall for this event for free to play players or low spenders. Personally, I think CG went overboard with setting it up to make it accessible (cutting the refresh cost in half, increasing the number of battles to 8, putting T3 on a quick farm node, supplementing the hard node farms with ship nodes, putting them on perma-rotation in shipments, making large # of shards available in the new weekly crystal store).

    It was, imo, easily obtainable for someone who jumped on all of this when they became farmable. Like I said, I dropped the $30 on one of the packs and I should be done with everyone but Mission sometime tomorrow. If I didn't buy the pack - I would have likely gone into the event but I'd rather pay and be certain.

  • I've actually found the additional spending to get the Old Republic toons minimal for me. I already farmed Bastila and Jolee to 7 stars before the announcement of Revan (in anticipation of a KOTOR event).

    I did have to buy the $30 pack for Mission & Zaalbar and the $15 pack for T3, along with some shards from shipments, but I am on track to get them all to 7 stars by the Thursday or Friday.

    Along with my crystal income from arena (about 850 crystals a day) I also will have ended up using a vault's worth of crystals to accelerate my farming. So about $150 to be ready. For me, that wasn't an unreasonable expense to get Revan, considering I also was planning to also use all the KOTOR toons for various other parts of the game, like raids and TWs.
  • Vendi1983
    4221 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    $150 for a single character when a complete current-generation video game costs $40-60 and add-ons for said game (that include way more content than a just single character) cost only $10-15. Interesting to see the accepted shift in value for a virtual product over the years.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    $150 for a single character when a complete current-generation video game costs $40-60 and add-ons for said game (that include way more content than a just single character) cost only $10-15. Interesting to see the accepted shift in value for a virtual product over the years.

    Sad, but true. You speak the truth @Vendi1983 ;)
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    $150 for a single character when a complete current-generation video game costs $40-60 and add-ons for said game (that include way more content than a just single character) cost only $10-15. Interesting to see the accepted shift in value for a virtual product over the years.

    Agreed. I understand like $10-$15 for a character but I can’t justify spending that much on 1 character that may or may not be relevant after a few months.
  • KyJoe_Cool
    1873 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    $150 for a single character when a complete current-generation video game costs $40-60 and add-ons for said game (that include way more content than a just single character) cost only $10-15. Interesting to see the accepted shift in value for a virtual product over the years.

    Agreed. I understand like $10-$15 for a character but I can’t justify spending that much on 1 character that may or may not be relevant after a few months.

    Exactly @Ravens1113 ! $10-$15 would be easy. But $150 north? That's a bit too much imo. :smirk:
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • KyJoe_Cool wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    $150 for a single character when a complete current-generation video game costs $40-60 and add-ons for said game (that include way more content than a just single character) cost only $10-15. Interesting to see the accepted shift in value for a virtual product over the years.

    Agreed. I understand like $10-$15 for a character but I can’t justify spending that much on 1 character that may or may not be relevant after a few months.

    Exactly @Ravens1113 ! $10-$15 would be easy. But $150 north? That's a bit too much imo. :smirk:

    Agreed. I'm ftp but would consider $10 to $15 for a character to be reasonable and would likely purchase one from time to time. But $200, no. Not spending that on one character.
  • KyJoe_Cool wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    $150 for a single character when a complete current-generation video game costs $40-60 and add-ons for said game (that include way more content than a just single character) cost only $10-15. Interesting to see the accepted shift in value for a virtual product over the years.

    Agreed. I understand like $10-$15 for a character but I can’t justify spending that much on 1 character that may or may not be relevant after a few months.

    Exactly @Ravens1113 ! $10-$15 would be easy. But $150 north? That's a bit too much imo. :smirk:

    Agreed. I'm ftp but would consider $10 to $15 for a character to be reasonable and would likely purchase one from time to time. But $200, no. Not spending that on one character.

    Exactly! @DarkHelmet1138 Wow... there are other people out there like me! Ya see!... these guys get it. :smiley:
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • The question is, do you shake your presents before Christmas, or do you wait until you can actually open them?

    I've never celebrated Christmas, had no one to give me presents. Thanks for that.

  • I did see in your making off that Revan had his cape. Please give it to him when release him (: it's just the appearance but it changes a lot for me as a fan from the beginning. Thank you and continue the awesome work you do 💪✌
  • TC_CrunchyCookie123
    52 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    so assuming this follows the normal release times we are what, 59 hours away from the start of the event and we still know pretty much nothing about Revan? With how big of a toon this is as well as how big the controversy is around the release I can understand wanting to make sure they get this right but seriously, give us something!!! Help us Capital Games, you're our only hope!
  • What I find really interesting about the kit reveal, and I haven't seen anyone mention it yet (not to say it hasn't been)

    Basic stats, and usually even damage aren't even provided in the kit reveal posts - we don't get an idea of the base speed, offense, etc of a character until it's in the game through the update. That means this delay and tweaking isn't just a matter of adjusting damage or base stats, because if that was the case they could easily just show us the core mechanics of the kit like usual - and maybe a cooldown or something was incorrect at most, and then adjust everything before the update. If the kit "looked" right, they'd give it to us to shut us up.

    Makes me wonder what sort of major overhaul, mechanic, etc they have or are adding - I wonder if simple playtesting revealed some cheese that couldn't be circumvented, and they had to scrap certain aspects last minute.

    Definitely expecting something insanely broken when all is said and done.
  • It's funny when people talk about how "relevant" Revan will be in a few months.. Looks at all the legendary/HJ characters... Every single one of them is very relevant today. CLS came out over a year ago and is great, JTR a bit less than a year is still extremely relevant. Yoda, palp, thrawn are all very relevant, and thrawn is voted the #1 character in the game. So yes, Revan will be relevant even after the event ends
  • FusedVirus
    7 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    CG/EA,

    Are you guys expecting a go-fund-me for the kit reveal? With the event being what it is, it was a thought :-) (Really just trying to make a joke and help people lighten up).

    I can understand things may be a work in progress still, but is there nothing you can give us? A hint or, something could go a long way, especially for those who are investing to get Revan.

    Thanks for the weekend hours you guys invested to keep this on schedule with what you had announced.
  • If you remember the survey not too long ago voting for your most desirable characters... Jango Revan were top choices. Or most likely to create higher revenue. The event will come again and everyone will have another chance. In the meantime, keep farming
  • If you remember the survey not too long ago voting for your most desirable characters... Jango Revan were top choices. Or most likely to create higher revenue. The event will come again and everyone will have another chance. In the meantime, keep farming

    Please stop! Everyone knows it already
  • Roahn
    231 posts Member
    If you remember the survey not too long ago voting for your most desirable characters... Jango Revan were top choices. Or most likely to create higher revenue. The event will come again and everyone will have another chance. In the meantime, keep farming

    Indeed, for those who don't intend on spending a lot of coin this go keep farming and if you haven't started farming yet then start. This really does benefit a patient free to play player with a gem of a toon if his kit is OP.
  • Emguy
    255 posts Member
    It's looking like he won't have the cape. The drawings with the cape we're very early stages before they decided on the Star Forge robes. Maybe Darth Revan will come around with it sometime
  • Yes, this time they may have got ahead of themselves. But guys, are you seriously not used to this? Taking into account the current state of things, just think that a similar complaint storm arised even when CLS was released and he needed all f2p toons. Every single time there are misleading posts which are calibrated to be exactly as vague as it takes for them to be lies without being clear lies. They're always vague enough for them to pop in here and say "YOU say so, there's nothing false here, you say this just because it doesn't meet you expectations". In fact, their supposedly bad communication is actually pretty good, they never let you be 100% sure that they lied. It is part of the huge machine called "marketing". Should they say you 3 months in advance that you'll need certain characters for an event? Come on, they were even able to put forth a huge update to drill some dollars out of mods. They'd rather mislead you so there is very little chance that someone will actually foresee things and reduce their outcome. There are always people that do foresee what they're about to do, but they usually keep quiet because if you make a huge post about it, you'll be covered in... well that and you could even be censored by some mod if things get out of hand.

    This whole Revan thing is not a surprise. Just try to settle your mind like you're outside all of this and see things with a neutral mind. It's so obvious. It's an experiment like Rey was. They'll push on the gas pedal until they see the signs of a final breakdown in the game. You'll understand we're at that point because we'll probably see toons being regularly introduced in f2p stores again, like it was some time ago. If things get out of hand at this point, just prepare to see Revan being nerfed like 1 month after it is released and the required toons being put in some f2p store, or at least the ones whose farms overlap being a lot facilitated. If they just go on earning as usual and they don't see a mass quit... well we'll just set sails and go on like this.

    I don't think these things have to be seen in a gaming perspective. This game is barely a game anymore. Skills and strategy almost don't count anymore between extremely obsolete AI and pay to win. No. You have to see things in a marketing perspective. What counts is their ability to sell, not your ability to enjoy the game. The mechanics in the whale world are just as the mechanics you can see in a casino. It's gambling and hence extremely addictive. And you will never see an addict admitting the addiction as long as he or she is addicted and gets the drug.

    It has always been like this. I'm not saying that I like this or that you shouldn't be upset, I just can't find something new in all of this.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Edison wrote: »

    Basic stats, and usually even damage aren't even provided in the kit reveal posts

    Basic stats and such weren't, but the damage used to be in the gifs of attack animations they included. For whatever reason they stopped showing those and I always kinda felt sad over that.

    But then I realized I could just load up swgoh.gg after the reveal, look at the base damage per ability there, and get the same information.

    Sucks I have to go the extra mile, but it is what it is.

    I can only assume they were using maxxed and best-in-class mods and were taking flack from people who claimed their numbers weren't matching whatever was in the kit reveal gif.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
Sign In or Register to comment.