[MEGATHREAD]: Road Ahead - January 2021

Prev13456713
CG_Doja_Fett_MINI
520 posts EA Community Manager
edited January 2021
DEV POST
Over the course of the last year we’ve talked at different points about the mission we’ve been on, which is to deliver content more frequently and flexibly - starting with Galactic Challenges. Today we’re excited to announce the next step in this journey.

Conquest is a new game mode coming to Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes where players will face a series of escalating battles on a sector map that allows them to choose which encounters and bonuses they will meet. Each map will provide a variety of match ups that will challenge players to pick the squad that is best suited to take on the enemy and use their whole roster in new ways.

Conquest will appear alongside Galactic War on a table that we are now calling the Galactic Battles table. Note: We’re renaming “Galactic War” to simply “War” to remove the repetition of “Galactic”. Galactic Challenges may also move to this table at a future point.

The Conquest event will run roughly once per month, with the event lasting for several weeks. During each event, campaigns are organized into a series of Sectors, each of which features a map of branching paths with combat missions and special nodes. Players will face off against a variety of different PVE squads as they battle through a Sector. The difficulty of the combat missions and their associated rewards will scale up as the player progresses through each sector, culminating in a boss battle at the end of each sector.

As players complete combat missions, mission feats, sector-level feats or event-level feats, they’ll earn Conquest Keycards which will be used to unlock successively better crates of rewards (which similar to Galactic Challenges, will be paid out at the end of the event) as well as intermediate rewards which can be immediately claimed.

We’re introducing a new shipment that will contain certain consumable items that are only useful within the context of a Conquest event, as well as others that can be used for the general collection. Conquest-specific items will only be available when an event is running and only apply to Conquest (i.e., these items will not affect Arena, GAC, Raids etc.). One of the rewards players will earn are Conquest Coins which can be used to purchase items from this shipment.

Between combat missions, players will also encounter two different types of special nodes - both Data Disks and Merchants.

Data Disks are powerful items players will acquire that can be equipped to give different types of benefits. Data Disks can be mixed and matched to give different strategic benefits, however each Data Disks has an associated cost to equip and a maximum value of Data Disks can be equipped per sector. Data Disks will last for the duration of the Conquest event and can be swapped at any point for a small cost.

Merchants are the other type of special nodes and will also appear at different points in each sector offering a selection of different items for purchase, including consumable items which are generally more powerful and valuable than what can be purchased from the Shipment. If a player elects to visit a Merchant, they may revisit this Merchant at any point during the event.

Conquest has a new energy type that is spent to play combat missions. Energy is charged at the beginning of each combat mission and will regenerate over time.

Conquest also features a new mechanic called Stamina. Unlike energy, Stamina is only depleted when a character successfully completes a combat mission. As a character’s stamina falls, their effectiveness in combat will also diminish. A character with zero stamina cannot be brought into battle, however stamina can be restored either through passive regeneration over time or through the use of stamina consumables.

We’re still developing and tuning and will have more to share with you in the coming weeks before the event, but early feedback has been promising and we can’t wait to introduce Conquest to the Holotables!

-CG_Erik
Post edited by CG_SBCrumb on

Replies

• Estimated time we get the first beta to test?
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    1. Sounds like a brand new game, within a SWGOH game

Which is amazing

2. I like how stamina encourages roster investment, I'm assuming 10% stamina = 90% stat reduction, so it prevents players from using the same 2-3 teams to brute force every node

3. Kinda worried about energy regeneration, if its going to F2P friendly or not, and consumables, and how friendly they'll be

4. Waiting roughly a month to get rewards paid out can be annoying

Other than those worries about consumables, items, energy cost / regeneration, it sounds amazing
  • Gouj4
    416 posts Member
    Very exciting. Interested to see how it all plays out
  • Galactic Challenges was not exciting. THIS was exciting! Thank you CG. Best of luck to you all on this new project!
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    1. Sounds like a brand new game, within a SWGOH game
    4. Waiting roughly a month to get rewards paid out can be annoying

I know it said there's results that you also get immediately, but yeah - waiting a month is kind of extreme. I guess it depends what they are, and what the intermediate ones are as well.
  • This looks fun and VERY interesting. It will be cool to see it in the beta testing
  • August is going to be hot!!
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    CryGonJinn wrote: »
    August is going to be hot!!

lmao i love your username
  • Great. We wait for this road ahead and they only give us this with no pictures or concepts? Nothing about QoL items or other innovative community asked for items? At least it is at the very least something of a road ahead.
  • Any chance ships might be included? If we're 'traveling' through sectors and conquering them, it might make sense to have some ship battles here and there.
  • I have a bad feeling about this.

*Skullgirls flashbacks*
  • Funny.

I suggested almost all the features they've announced here at various times. My suggestions came in 2 different waves - one was several years ago, before and right after GW first became simmable. In that I specifically suggested consumables that make a difference in GW but not outside of it, that were rewarded inside GW, and that would therefore allow the challenges of GW to be tougher than would otherwise be fair.

The other suggestion was about a new alternative to GW that would use up toons & squads, with specific hurdles being best attacked by specific character abilities so that you would be at an advantage to have a broad roster and able to use lower-geared toons that have the right abilities rather than using up your high-power toons to brute force something. The Stamina mechanic makes this less "all-or-nothing" (as I had then imagined it), but makes sense when combined with the "consumables" mechanic I had previously proposed.

Given how much of this is exactly what I've asked for at various times, I guess I'm contractually forbidden to actually criticize this game mode. Whatever will I do, getting everything I wanted and being unable to talk bad about CG?
  • This looks extremely exciting. I can hardly wait until this gets implemented in the game.
  • Waiting a month for rewards? Come on. That's like Galactic Challenges with extra steps.
  • I'm with Kerrigan on inclusion of Ship battles on at least some nodes.

Heck, since you have a branching sector-tree, it might make sense to have one entire sector be ships (or 90% ships with 10% toon battles while the other sectors are 90% toons with 10% ships or whatever is the best ratio). This would allow those of us who have invested deeply in ships to have some fun with them.
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    Will the new store have a new character?
  • DEV POST
    Over the course of the last year we’ve talked at different points about the mission we’ve been on, which is to deliver content more frequently and flexibly - starting with Galactic Challenges. Today we’re excited to announce the next step in this journey.

Conquest is a new game mode coming to Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes where players will face a series of escalating battles on a sector map that allows them to choose which encounters and bonuses they will meet. Each map will provide a variety of match ups that will challenge players to pick the squad that is best suited to take on the enemy and use their whole roster in new ways.

Conquest will appear alongside Galactic War on a table that we are now calling the Galactic Battles table. Note: We’re renaming “Galactic War” to simply “War” to remove the repetition of “Galactic”. Galactic Challenges may also move to this table at a future point.

The Conquest event will run roughly once per month, with the event lasting for several weeks. During each event, campaigns are organized into a series of Sectors, each of which features a map of branching paths with combat missions and special nodes. Players will face off against a variety of different PVE squads as they battle through a Sector. The difficulty of the combat missions and their associated rewards will scale up as the player progresses through each sector, culminating in a boss battle at the end of each sector.

As players complete combat missions, mission feats, sector-level feats or event-level feats, they’ll earn Conquest Keycards which will be used to unlock successively better crates of rewards (which similar to Galactic Challenges, will be paid out at the end of the event) as well as intermediate rewards which can be immediately claimed.

We’re introducing a new shipment that will contain certain consumable items that are only useful within the context of a Conquest event, as well as others that can be used for the general collection. Conquest-specific items will only be available when an event is running and only apply to Conquest (i.e., these items will not affect Arena, GAC, Raids etc.). One of the rewards players will earn are Conquest Coins which can be used to purchase items from this shipment.

Between combat missions, players will also encounter two different types of special nodes - both Data Disks and Merchants.

Data Disks are powerful items players will acquire that can be equipped to give different types of benefits. Data Disks can be mixed and matched to give different strategic benefits, however each artifact has an associated cost to equip and a maximum value of Data Disks can be equipped per sector. Data Disks will last for the duration of the Conquest event and can be swapped at any point for a small cost.

Merchants are the other type of special nodes and will also appear at different points in each sector offering a selection of different items for purchase, including consumable items which are generally more powerful and valuable than what can be purchased from the Shipment. If a player elects to visit a Merchant, they may revisit this Merchant at any point during the event.

Conquest has a new energy type that is spent to play combat missions. Energy is charged at the beginning of each combat mission and will regenerate over time.

Conquest also features a new mechanic called Stamina. Unlike energy, Stamina is only depleted when a character successfully completes a combat mission. As a character’s stamina falls, their effectiveness in combat will also diminish. A character with zero stamina cannot be brought into battle, however stamina can be restored either through passive regeneration over time or through the use of stamina consumables.

We’re still developing and tuning and will have more to share with you in the coming weeks before the event, but early feedback has been promising and we can’t wait to introduce Conquest to the Holotables!

-CG_Erik

• Very exciting!

What's the catch, cg?
    >:)So what? I want Krell!
  • @Potato211
    Waiting a month for rewards? Come on.

We don't know yet, but I imagine that's not what they mean. Again, it's just what it sounds like to me, but my take is that as long as you're in one sector, you can try to accomplish feats or whatever to improve rewards for that sector.

Givent that, it seems like the saved up rewards would be handed out when you leave one sector for the next. I don't know if that would be based on time (you leave this sector in 1 week) or if it would happen when you kill the BBEL (the timing of which would be at least somewhat under your control), but it certainly wouldn't be waiting an entire month.
  • Conquest Mode doesn't excite me. The way GC has changed, made bad impression. GC has become very hard to clear in the recent events
  • @Potato211
    Waiting a month for rewards? Come on.

We don't know yet, but I imagine that's not what they mean. Again, it's just what it sounds like to me, but my take is that as long as you're in one sector, you can try to accomplish feats or whatever to improve rewards for that sector.

Givent that, it seems like the saved up rewards would be handed out when you leave one sector for the next. I don't know if that would be based on time (you leave this sector in 1 week) or if it would happen when you kill the BBEL (the timing of which would be at least somewhat under your control), but it certainly wouldn't be waiting an entire month.

My hope is that, if i have to wait a week or a month for the rewards to be dished out, they better be **** worth it. Otherwise what's the point of waiting a month for 5 stun guns and 3 cuffs?
  • When it says the rewards are similar in kind to GC, are they same quality? Because on would think that given the longer duration they might be better quality.
  • I m surprised the game hasn't find to way to give energies as "Money in the Bank" type... So you can those energy at anytime you want. Atleast for the buyers instead of stacking into the energy bar immediately.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    ngl, not a fan of this (as I imagine it). Stamina? ugh. We'll see I suppose but the last thing I needed was some new timesuck instead of new raid/ship raid (one without the awful need to coordinate amongst 50 people spread across the planet, I mean, and actually new, not chsth or ctank etc). zzz
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gouj4
    416 posts Member
    It says the reward crates will be paid out at the end of the event similar to galactic challenges, doesn’t say the rewards themselves are similar
  • This could be HUGE.
    Pls don't mess this up!
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Antwon120 wrote: »
    Galactic Challenges was not exciting. THIS was exciting! Thank you CG. Best of luck to you all on this new project!

Did you feel that way before actually playing it?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Yeah that was kind of my interpretation, hoping the rewards are good
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Great. We wait for this road ahead and they only give us this with no pictures or concepts? Nothing about QoL items or other innovative community asked for items? At least it is at the very least something of a road ahead.

The community asked for more content.

You want pictures.

Ok.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gouj4
    416 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Great. We wait for this road ahead and they only give us this with no pictures or concepts? Nothing about QoL items or other innovative community asked for items? At least it is at the very least something of a road ahead.

The community asked for more content.

You want pictures.

Ok.

If there’s anything I’ve learned in the forums it’s that people don’t like to read lol