Executor unlock method concerns.. Confirmed

Prev13456789
Bora
440 posts Member
edited August 2021
As per the latest news from the devs (there has been a recent stream on twitch from cg crumb in which he briefly talked about the executor event) it looks like whatever kind of event it'll be, we won't be able to 7 star the executor right away.

If so, I'm pretty dubious about the idea.
To me the ship portion of swgoh has been chronically lackluster when compared to the characters content both in terms of game modes available and quantity of ships, leading to a pretty stale meta in both arena and gac for a very long time.

With the arrival of the executor, it seems we will finally going to move away from that, but if the type of release won't allow players to max it, it'll probably lead to an unspecified further duration of the current state of affairs.
Normally, to avoid this wait, CG has gave us some way available to immediately bring up to 7* the new shinies by either whaling or by having hoarded resources.
I would expect for it to be the way for the executor as well, but I have some concerns.

When there aren't prerequisites to satisfy or they're really easy, CG usually don't give away a 7* unlock via the event, therefore if you want it maxed you either buy shard packs through money/crystals, or you wait.
When, instead, you do have hard prerequisites to satisfy, then you can almost always max out stars through the event itself pretty rapidly, as the monetization comes through getting the prerequisites ready in time/as early as possible, should one wants an early unlock despite not being ready at the time of the announcement.

For the executor, I fear they will force on us both things, hard prerequisites and shard packs/refreshes of the event to achieve an early 7*.
If that will be the case, I strongly disagree because:

- The ship meta have been stale long enough that a shake-up is welcome sooner rather then later, so I would find it hard to understand if we'll have to both satisfy hard prerequisites and do refreshes of the event/buy shard packs.. As it'll really slow down the change.

- The prerequisites are the highest ever for a ship, in fact they're so demanding that they are more akin with those to unlock a GL. This has consistently been a plenty enough reason to make an event a 7 star unlock in the past, so why not now?

Basically I'd like for CG to be reasonable and pick only one way to monetize this as done in the past. I think you should either struggle to get your stuff ready in time, or get a few easy shard but then buy the rest or wait, not both. Expecially for a part of the game that isn't even as taken care of as the rest of it.
If not, then I would at the very least like for the wait to not be unreasonably long as for the finalizer/raddus release.

What do you think?
Res non verba
Post edited by Bora on

Replies

• Options
    Negotiator and Malevolence are massive investments. Many newer players just got them. Do not invalidate their efforts!
  • TheJEFFtm
    917 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I’m expecting (based on crumb’s statement here
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/oxb3sj/confirmation_that_executors_event_will_be_just/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf )

That the format will be the same as this

https://swgohevents.com/event/admirals-maneuver-raddus

Expect the worst, full relic pilots to “get in the door” and 7 star ships for the 4 star unlock.
    Then start buying refreshes if you want to max it day one (and that wouldn’t even be the case, as nineteen refreshes at 999 crystals each will leave you 6 star 50/100, you would still have to wait for the second occurrence and purchase another 4 refreshes to hit 7 stars).

That said, to this day, 5 star Malevolence and Negotiator can still climb to the top of fleet arena against R8 fleets, and with Executor purported to have a power level (paraphrasing) ‘commensurate with the effort to unlock’, I’d fully expect that even a 4 star Executor will hold it’s own in fleet arena.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options
    Negotiator and Malevolence are massive investments. Many newer players just got them. Do not invalidate their efforts!

First, new players will hardly find anywhere in the game to directly confront old players. Besides, the executor coming to the game is already a fact, therefore what is relevant is how it will be released, not if.
    Being a friendlier release than having both massive prerequisites and a long wait time to max it without further expenditure is actually in favour of both new and old players.
    Also, a new player should expect to be in "a catch up" situation in an almost 6 years old game.
    Res non verba
  • Options
    You can only refresh the ship thingies 19 times? I didnt know that. I figured it was unlimited.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    TheJEFFtm wrote: »

Expect the worst, full relic pilots to “get in the door” and 7 star ships for the 4 star unlock.
    Then start buying refreshes if you want to max it day one (and that wouldn’t even be the case, as nineteen refreshes at 999 crystals each will leave you 6 star 50/100, you would still have to wait for the second occurrence and purchase another 4 refreshes to hit 7 stars).

That said, to this day, 5 star Malevolence and Negotiator can still climb to the top of fleet arena against R8 fleets, and with Executor purported to have a power level (paraphrasing) ‘commensurate with the effort to unlock’, I’d fully expect that even a 4 star Executor will hold it’s own in fleet arena.

Unfortunately, the first part is exactly what I fear it'll happen, because I'm not too sure the second part will turn out to be true
    Res non verba
  • ArdenAskellan
    18 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Bora wrote: »

First, new players will hardly find anywhere in the game to directly confront old players. Besides, the executor coming to the game is already a fact, therefore what is relevant is how it will be released, not if.
    All it takes is a couple of players to pivot to Executor to lock everyone else out of fleet arena.
    Everyone knows the current meta won't stay meta forever but a few months on top are much better than not being rewarded at all for the grind.
    Get2 fleets have a huge time gate. If Executor had no time gate at all that would need to be reflected in the power level.
    Post edited by ArdenAskellan on
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options

All it takes is a couple of players to pivot to Executric to lock everyone else out of fleet arena.
    Everyone knows the current meta won't stay meta forever but a few months on top are much better than not being rewarded at all for the grind.
    Get2 fleets have a huge time gate. If Executrix had no time gate at all that would need to be reflected in the power level.

In my opinion, that is much more related to the lack of options in fleets as a whole than to the executor release per sé.
    As of now, we know that the executor is going to be released, and that the power level should reflect the investment (what does it exactly mean nobody knows yet).
    To ask for a slower release is both contrary to the monetization system CG primarily uses (i.e. it won't happen) and disadvantageous for newer/f2p players.
    You can take it for granted that CG will give a way to whales to get it early, my point is how hard are they going to make it. So, even if what you say would be true and it'll only take a couple of people to get a full fledged executor to lock out the rest of the shard, my educated guess is that you will almost invariably find at least two players who will max anything no matter what the cost. At that point, wouldn't it be better for the rest of the people to have a chance to close the gap at the earliest?
    Res non verba
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

What do you think?

I think we dont have enough information to really do anything except jump to conclusions.

We don't know enough, but a few things we do know is that it will be in the JG, it's not going to be exactly the same as other capital shop fleet mastery events, the listed requirements, and that more information is coming as the event gets closer.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

What do you think?

I think we dont have enough information to really do anything except jump to conclusions.

We don't know enough, but a few things we do know is that it will be in the JG, it's not going to be exactly the same as other capital shop fleet mastery events, the listed requirements, and that more information is coming as the event gets closer.

I agree in part. I hope this didn't come through as pitchfork grabbing, if it did, it wasn't my point.
    Still, I don't think it's true that we have so little information that we can only jump to conclusions.
    I think we can reasonably voice a concern based on educates guesses as there's not always need to wait for things to actually happen before paying attention and do something about it.

Sometimes it actually works better to prevent things from happening based on good insight rather than stubbornly wait for everything to be said and done and patch it afterwards just because "you can't be sure otherwise".
    Res non verba
  • Wrathe
    204 posts Member
    Options

All it takes is a couple of players to pivot to Executor to lock everyone else out of fleet arena.
    Get2 fleets have a huge time gate. If Executor had no time gate at all that would need to be reflected in the power level.

Those fleets have been available for 2 years. They've had their time in the sun.
  • ArdenAskellan
    18 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    This is a crucial point. A properly geared Negotiator fleet doesn't really need much less gear than the Executor plus it has a much harder time gate.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

What do you think?

I agree in part. I hope this didn't come through as pitchfork grabbing, if it did, it wasn't my point.
    Still, I don't think it's true that we have so little information that we can only jump to conclusions.
    I think we can reasonably voice a concern based on educates guesses as there's not always need to wait for things to actually happen before paying attention and do something about it.

Sometimes it actually works better to prevent things from happening based on good insight rather than stubbornly wait for everything to be said and done and patch it afterwards just because "you can't be sure otherwise".

Voicing concerns is always welcome, but when it's based on any sort of guess work, it's going to contain some bias in the conclusions used to base the feedback on. They are unlikely to make changes to anything before the information is released, even if you are guessing correct in some ways.

Changes are usually looked at based on evidence, or data, which neither side has any of at this point.

So yes I do believe it is too soon to call out the sky is falling, on this release.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options
    Nothing's a big deal, everything here is first world problems.
    Still, it is is different from raddus/finalizer as the requirements to access the event for them where significantly less demanding then those for the executor.
    Hence what I'm trying to say, the pattern so far has roughly been:

hard requirements = fast unlock/max star
    - want it quick but not ready? Pay/use stashed resources for the requirements.

Easy requirements (if any)=slow unlock/max star
    - want it faster? Refresh the event/buy shards.

If it will become:

hard requirements = slow unlock/max star
    - want it faster? First pay/use stashed and then refresh the event/buy packs

...then I don't like it and wouldn't see much sense in it.

All is subject to change as more information come out, and yes, I know that with time everything is achievable. Yet, I think that things aren't always equally reasonable.
    Res non verba
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options

What do you think?

Voicing concerns is always welcome, but when it's based on any sort of guess work, it's going to contain some bias in the conclusions used to base the feedback on. They are unlikely to make changes to anything before the information is released, even if you are guessing correct in some ways.

Changes are usually looked at based on evidence, or data, which neither side has any of at this point.

So yes I do believe it is too soon to call out the sky is falling, on this release.

To this, I agree in full. I just thought it was worth a shot anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️
    Also, I'm sorry if the whole thing sounds annoyingly convoluted, in not a native English speaker and I was trying to be clear precisely to avoid wild claims of falling skies, collapsing universes and no more chocolate.
    Res non verba
  • Options
    So, with Razor Crest at 5* needed to view/start the event, presumably 7* will be needed for possibly 5* and above blueprints. Any new information yet on additional ways to get Razor Crest blueprints?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

What do you think?

To this, I agree in full. I just thought it was worth a shot anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️
    Also, I'm sorry if the whole thing sounds annoyingly convoluted, in not a native English speaker and I was trying to be clear precisely to avoid wild claims of falling skies, collapsing universes and no more chocolate.

We dont joke about chocolate.
    🙃
  • Starfred
    5 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Well all this speculation could be avoided if all information gets posted here and not mentioned on a stream. I appreciate the work with the community, but I would like all relevant information at the same place. When stuff get mentioned elsewhere a clarification should be posted here, I share the concerns but also agree we don't have enough information.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Starfred wrote: »
    Well all this speculation could be avoided if all information gets posted here and not mentioned on a stream. I appreciate the work with the community, but I would like all relevant information at the same place. When stuff get mentioned elsewhere a clarification should be posted here, I share the concerns but also agree we don't have enough information.

All relevant information will be posted here, there is no more information currently available.
  • 2smooth
    572 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Whales shouldn’t complain about ships ur territory is arena not ships. Always has and will be
  • str2019
    64 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Delayed 7 star release method is much better for early birds than rewarding the full 7 star version at the completion of the event, assuming all variables that currently hold for fleet battles stay as they are.
    Assume these:
    - Executor at 4 stars is much better than maxed existing fleets
    - Executor has meaningful power curve from 4 stars to the full 7 stars

If those hold early birds are ~guaranteed (bar crystal refreshes) an advantage in fleet over everyone unlocking after them for at least for the duration of the starring period. For example, if you unlock Executor on day 1 while your average competition unlocks 1 year after you are guaranteed at least 1 year + starring period of advantage in the fleet arena (= ~ 2 years). Without delay you would obviously hold advantage only for 1 year.
  • TVF
    36716 posts Member
    Options
    2smooth wrote: »
    Whales shouldn’t complain about ships ur territory is arena not ships. Always has and will be

haha what
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • LordDirt
    5106 posts Member
    Options
    2smooth wrote: »

Whales do both arenas for as much crystals as they can daily earn.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt
    5106 posts Member
    Options
    str2019 wrote: »
    Delayed 7 star release method is much better for early birds than rewarding the full 7 star version at the completion of the event, assuming all variables that currently hold for fleet battles stay as they are.
    Assume these:
    - Executor at 4 stars is much better than maxed existing fleets
    - Executor has meaningful power curve from 4 stars to the full 7 stars

If those hold early birds are ~guaranteed (bar crystal refreshes) an advantage in fleet over everyone unlocking after them for at least for the duration of the starring period. For example, if you unlock Executor on day 1 while your average competition unlocks 1 year after you are guaranteed at least 1 year + starring period of advantage in the fleet arena (= ~ 2 years). Without delay you would obviously hold advantage only for 1 year.

The requirements for the Executor are pretty steep for only a 5* ship on release IMO.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    Requiring R8 pilots to unlock a 5* ship is ridiculous. Either axe the steep requirements or give a 7* unlock. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options
    Also, being able to beat and most importantly not being smacked to oblivion if left overnight is a pretty darn big assumption. One I wouldn't dare to make without evidence
    Res non verba
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options
    And one thing I do know. For those requirements I wouldn't like to get a fleet that gets smacked to oblivion till maxed.
    Res non verba
  • LordDirt
    5106 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Requiring R8 pilots to unlock a 5* ship is ridiculous. Either axe the steep requirements or give a 7* unlock. This is getting ridiculous.

Exactly!

Characters required:

Darth Vader Relic 7
    Admiral Piett Relic 8
    Boba Fett Relic 8
    TIE Fighter Pilot Relic 5
    Bossk Relic 5
    IG88 Relic 5
    Dengar Relic 5

Ships Required:

Razor Crest 7*
    Slave I 7*
    IG-2000 7*
    Hound's Tooth 7*
    TIE Advanced 7*
    TIE Bomber 7*
    Imperial TIE Fighter 7*

This requires quite the investment.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

Good news. They only compete against other new players who have also just gotten those ships.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • str2019
    64 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Also, being able to beat and most importantly not being smacked to oblivion if left overnight is a pretty darn big assumption. One I wouldn't dare to make without evidence

Executor being very good at 4 stars (or 5, don't know where it unlocks) is kind of obvious from what I wrote because when you think of why they are doing this power curve thing in the first place is for them not to have to touch fleets for the next 2 years. There would be no curve if Executor was not stronger already at 4 stars.
    If they made it a 7 star unlock they would just tune Executor that much weaker in compensation BUT would also have to be prepared to release another fleet meta cycle after only ~1 year. This they do not want to do because people are not whaling enough for fleet releases.
  • TVF
    36716 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

CG: You got it. Now you can only unlock at 7*, in the same amount of time/cost it already was going to take to get to 7* when we planned an earlier unlock for you. Enjoy!
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH