This new GAC isn't skill based matchmaking. Change my mind

Prev1345678
Comfortless
147 posts Member
edited February 2022
Can someone with 2 million GP out skill their way to kyber? If so, how? If they can't, why? Because skill is dependent on GP? So it's not skill based then. (Last edit) a lot of people with larger rosters don't understand the biggest issue as to why ignoring GP is wrong. Think of it this way, 1 million GP vs 2 million GP (this happens now) that person has TWICE the size of their roster, yet they're matched up. People with 7 million GP versing 8 or 9 still manage because it's not the same ratio, you'd have to verse 14 MILLION GP to experience the same affect. This is why it's not based in skill, this system disproportionately affects ALL new players.
Post edited by EA_Mako on

Replies

• Comfortless
    147 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Yeah you read that correctly. Why does CG think this is good for the community? No clue. It's definitely a community killer. They have 3 galactic legends and 1.2 million more GP than me. How is this a fair and balanced game? I'm utterly lost as to why this was implemented. This isn't "skill based matchmaking" if you can't "out skill" your way to the top. The old GAC was skill based. That's why you'll see people with 3 million GP with kyber tags, because they beat equal opponents and proved their skill.
    Post edited by Comfortless on
  • Options
    I'm also not even remotely close to getting any GLs. I have 3.2 million GP
  • Options
    They have 33 more relics than me.. why is this fun? Who decided this is what grand arena should be?
  • Options
    I don't even have 33 relics total..
  • Options
    Have you checked their GAC history? Good chance they don’t bother engaging with the game mode if they’ve fallen this far after 15 battles.
  • Options
    Have you checked their GAC history? Good chance they don’t bother engaging with the game mode if they’ve fallen this far after 15 battles.

They've kept a 2/3 win/loss the last 5 GAC sessions
  • Options
    And your record?
  • Options

Regardless I don't think I should ever match up with this. Regardless of how active they are, it's entirely imbalanced and unfair
  • Options
    And your record?

The last 4 GACs I've come in 1st 3 of them and 2nd in 1. Still an irrelevant measure of balance and fairness
  • Options
    And your record?

The last 4 GACs I've come in 1st 3 of them and 2nd in 1. Still an irrelevant measure of balance and fairness
    Matchmaking is skill based now.

You have demonstrated great skill. Don’t know your ally code, but your skill rating will be the same as your opponent.

I don’t believe they are winning 2/3 of their matches and have dropped low enough in skill rating to face someone with 2M less GP.

Are you sure you’re looking at the right player?
  • Comfortless
    147 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    And your record?

Matchmaking is skill based now.

You have demonstrated great skill. Don’t know your ally code, but your skill rating will be the same as your opponent.

I don’t believe they are winning 2/3 of their matches and have dropped low enough in skill rating to face someone with 2M less GP.

Are you sure you’re looking at the right player?

I double checked they have 1 million more GP than me, 3 galactic legends. They're in chromium 1 same as me. I'm aware of the new "skill based match up" but that's a horrible system in a game like this. This should easily count as evidence as to why we should compare rosters based off GP, because that's equal and comparable.
    Post edited by Comfortless on
  • Options
    My Ally code is 826-393-174. Theirs is
    141-152-727. This match up us absurd and frankly hilariously wrong
  • TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options
    I'm 7.4m and there's a 10m dude(tte?) in my bracket.

It's fine.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    People complained before, and people complain now.

Just want to check:

This is you, right? https://swgoh.gg/p/826393174/
    I’m pretty sure it is.

If so, some observations:

- he has 1.14M more than you. Not 2M, not 1.5M
    - He did not participate at all in the first 3 rounds of the new GAC1, and barely participated in the final round.
    - In the first 3 rounds he missed completely, you went 7-2

You’ve been unlucky here. This player didn’t engage with nuGAC for 3 weeks whilst you were cracking skulls.

Now he appears interested again. But one unlucky matchup doesn’t mean the new system is worse than what went before.
  • Options
    Great. Now that you’ve edited the claim of 2M more and 1.5M more my first bullet point is going to look silly.
  • TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options
    Great. Now that you’ve edited the claim of 2M more and 1.5M more my first bullet point is going to look silly.

It's not your post that looks silly.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I'm 7.4m and there's a 10m dude(tte?) in my bracket.

It's fine.

It's not fine. This match up is absurdly outpowered. There's a lot you can do with all your GP but very little I can do with mine
  • Options

It's not your post that looks silly.

You're right, it's yours
  • TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options
    It's ok to lose sometimes.
  • Options

Just want to check:

I’m pretty sure it is.

- He did not participate at all in the first 3 rounds of the new GAC1, and barely participated in the final round.

You’ve been unlucky here. This player didn’t engage with nuGAC for 3 weeks whilst you were cracking skulls.

Now he appears interested again. But one unlucky matchup doesn’t mean the new system is worse than what went before.

I regularly get match up with examples like this. It truly does represent how broken this system is. Just because someone was inactive doesn't mean that this is somehow fair. Inactivity is somehow a justification for "skill rating" when they truly didn't participate. In that logic their absence was recorded as skill, when it shouldn't have been recorded at all.
  • Options

"It's okay to understand the system is broken"
  • Options
    Genuinely shocked to see people defending this ridiculous match-up. "Unlucky" is a poor term to describe fundamental problems with this horrible "skill based matchmaking" when this game is quite literally designed around GP growth
  • Options
    Its funny how we can sit here and decide I lost unless what.. he throws the game? Doesn't attack? Theoretically he could end up in Carbonite. Whereas if this were a pro league in a game you'd get banned for this sort of behavior. Not docked on your skill rating. GP based Matchmaking was infinitely better.
  • Options
    Genuinely shocked to see people defending this ridiculous match-up. "Unlucky" is a poor term to describe fundamental problems with this horrible "skill based matchmaking" when this game is quite literally designed around GP growth
    That’s the thing, though.

In the both the old systems, lots of players deliberately restricted their GP growth to gain favourable matchups.

People would end up facing someone of broadly similar GP as them but who had a much more competitive roster because they didn’t gear anything - often didn’t even mod anything - they weren’t going to use.

The new system now makes that tactic completely pointless, so everyone can now grow their GP without risk of it affecting who they get matched with.

You have made one very good suggestion, though, that I think the devs should think about. If people are active in game but not joining GAC, it might prevent some of these matchups if that person’s skill rating was frozen rather than dropping as if they were playing and losing.
  • Options

Just want to check:

I’m pretty sure it is.

I've had people in my bracket have 2 million more than me before with a GL. They lost simply because they didn't participate. That doesn't mean they should be in my bracket. That's like using the same logic as "well I have the same win loss record in high-school basketball as the bulls have for their win loss, therefore we are comparable. This is false.
  • Options
    Its funny how we can sit here and decide I lost unless what.. he throws the game? Doesn't attack? Theoretically he could end up in Carbonite. Whereas if this were a pro league in a game you'd get banned for this sort of behavior. Not docked on your skill rating. GP based Matchmaking was infinitely better.
    Hard disagree.

It was infinitely worse.
  • Options
    That’s the thing, though.

In the both the old systems, lots of players deliberately restricted their GP growth to gain favourable matchups.

People would end up facing someone of broadly similar GP as them but who had a much more competitive roster because they didn’t gear anything - often didn’t even mod anything - they weren’t going to use.

The new system now makes that tactic completely pointless, so everyone can now grow their GP without risk of it affecting who they get matched with.

You have made one very good suggestion, though, that I think the devs should think about. If people are active in game but not joining GAC, it might prevent some of these matchups if that person’s skill rating was frozen rather than dropping as if they were playing and losing.

Exactly though that's a fair match up, they actually organized their roster through skill and and determination whereas the other person made mindless choices. It's a much fairer comparison.
  • Options
    Hard disagree.

It was infinitely worse.

I wish this was a matter of opinion. Every other sport and tournament in the world works this way. 3 million GP is high-school football more than a million GP than me and 3 GLs is college D1 football. It's that simple. They can't compete. Different leagues.
  • TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options

"It's okay to understand the system is broken"

One bad matchup does not a broken system equal.
  • Options
    It remains to be seen but in theory this should result in better matchups over time.
    This is still the initial phase. You are climbing the ladder and your opponent is descending it, you both just happen to be on the same rung today. Over time it should improve.
This discussion has been closed.