Where is the interesting part of the new raid?

Replies

• Options
    Adra2 wrote: »
    So many people complain. More or less. The old raids had been around for so long and there was no hype.
    It would be enough to restore the ability to run all raids at once. Just like it was before. Everyone could find something for themselves.

There was TONS of hype for the Pit, HAAT, and HSTR IMHO it was partially good design against epic encounters, and partially that each unlocked an exclusive unit.

Killing troopers ad nauseum (with nausea) for the same rewards we were getting with the Krayt is neither exciting, engaging, nor new/improved rewards, hence zero hype. This was a huge swing and a miss and hopefully CG will take note of how many people run this on auto.
  • Options
    So something that I haven't seen discussed is that this feels like a FinalFantasy MiniGame (MG) to me.

In FF7 there was a MG that required you to snowboard down a mountain. I can't remember what else you had to do, catch balloons or something? It was an arcade game in the middle of this JPRG where you're not using ANY of your characters normal abilities -- those are walled off -- your mana doesn't help you, whatever. All you've got is sliding along and trying to avoid and/or crash into things. The chocobo races were similar as well, in that they were an MG that walled off all the character development you'd been doing. Nothing you equipped and no levels you gained actually mattered.

So the thing about those MGs is that some people actually loved them. They went nuts for them. They had a game saved at the top of the snowy mountain or they spent weeks breeding chocobos to win harder and harder races.

But other players, who were there for the RPG and loved FF7 as much as anyone hated them. They were playing a game that required levelling up, collecting weapons and manna, finding effective combinations and then using them in battle against nasty, magical monsters. What was it with the snowboarding?

This new raid is not SWGOH as we know it. A lot of people are upset and/or just dislike the raid. That's fine. I don't at all know how I feel about it yet. I'm giving it a little time. And to me that makes sense, because this raid is like a brand new game of a completely different character that they're slapping in the middle of SWGOH. Maybe you hate it. If so, it was a swing and a miss on CG's part, sure. But there were people who bred chocobos for WEEKS. Seriously. I think adding a MG to SWGOH wasn't a weird thing to try.

Not only that, but when I needed to snowboard down that mountain when I played through the game again about 10 years ago, I just called in an expert: my 7 year old. She did great and had a great time even though she didn't have the attention span for a play through of the whole ff7 game.

For those of us with kids, I can imagine logging in, slapping on raid mods, and then handing the game to our proverbial 7 year olds who aren't stuck on the way SWGOH "should be" and are still entertained by the simplified rules and reduced kits they find in the speeder bike MG. I know several people who play SWGOH with their kids, handing the game off to the kid for a battle during GAC after starting it or just letting a very young kid press a button while the parent watches.

Yeah, that's not the kind of excitement most of us were looking for in a new raid, but in a world where we're often so separate from each other, actually playing the game WITH your family instead of away from your family can be a really nice thing.

Anyway, as I said, I'm giving it more time, but maybe -- whether you want to play with your family or not -- thinking about this as a MG instead of a raid will help. There's a long tradition of splashing MGs into the middle of larger games, and it's possible that a few of us (not all of us, but a few) will find their Gold Chocobo on Endor.
  • Options
    Adra2 wrote: »
    So many people complain. More or less. The old raids had been around for so long and there was no hype.
    It would be enough to restore the ability to run all raids at once. Just like it was before. Everyone could find something for themselves.

There was TONS of hype for the Pit, HAAT, and HSTR IMHO it was partially good design against epic encounters, and partially that each unlocked an exclusive unit.

Killing troopers ad nauseum (with nausea) for the same rewards we were getting with the Krayt is neither exciting, engaging, nor new/improved rewards, hence zero hype. This was a huge swing and a miss and hopefully CG will take note of how many people run this on auto.

I'm not sure their engagement metrics care about if an event was done on auto or not. Also - not everyone sees the ability to auto it as a bad thing. I run lots of things on auto. I'm still enjoying the game - just maybe in a different way than the manual player does? I generally agree that this isn't an 'epic confrontation' kind of feel though.

So far it seems that the rewards will be better for at least some guilds. My guild launches later today and early estimates point to this being more rewards for us than Krayt was providing. I guess YMMV on that. It probably has a lot to do with people having more of these characters geared up for previous events or general utility. When Krayt dropped lots of folks didn't have mandos, tuskens, or OR geared up. Tons of people have rebels and imperial troopers geared though.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options
    One of my post is gone here. Is it under moderation or something?
  • Options
    This new raid is bad. I'm sorry, but it just is. Generic skills, no real tactics, boring. Just a few issues with it.

Please consider rotating the raids so we don't have to do just this for the next 8 months or so.

Or delete this raid completely and have it as a monthly event.
  • Options
    Olderaan wrote: »

Sometimes when you edit a post, or post "too often" in a short amount of time, the post gets auto-routed to the spam filter. Really annoying when that happens.
  • Options

Sometimes when you edit a post, or post "too often" in a short amount of time, the post gets auto-routed to the spam filter. Really annoying when that happens.

Thank you the info. And can I find the spam container, or this is just a moderator privilege?

• Gawejn
    1125 posts Member
    Options
    No, no krayt ever again.
  • Options
    Gotta say this new raid isn’t as bad as I feared.

The mechanics aren’t as interesting as some of the old raids, but it does seem like that’s done to reduce rng factor which reduces need to rerun the same team.

I got some fairly consistent scores with the teams I ran and probably after a bit of initial frustration that it’s all new abilities, we find a relatively standard way to run things and get solid scores.
    So while not as engaging as other new raids have been, it seems simpler. And the old raids didn’t keep being engaging months after they got solved anyway.

Rewards also seem like they got a very player friendly rework. We start out hitting more rewards pr. 6 days than what we got from Krayt at the end.
  • Options

Thank you the info. And can I find the spam container, or this is just a moderator privilege?

Mods only. Your post is banished to the void, unlikely to be seen again. I'd just repost if it was something important.
  • Options
    Morgoth01 wrote: »
    Gotta say this new raid isn’t as bad as I feared.

The mechanics aren’t as interesting as some of the old raids, but it does seem like that’s done to reduce rng factor which reduces need to rerun the same team.

I got some fairly consistent scores with the teams I ran and probably after a bit of initial frustration that it’s all new abilities, we find a relatively standard way to run things and get solid scores.
    So while not as engaging as other new raids have been, it seems simpler. And the old raids didn’t keep being engaging months after they got solved anyway.

Rewards also seem like they got a very player friendly rework. We start out hitting more rewards pr. 6 days than what we got from Krayt at the end.

I've been seeing a lot of this sentiment echoed in various places and I have to agree. I'm appreciating the simplicity of it and the consistency of scores when using auto. With regard to rewards - we may not be so lucky with the next raid if the required characters are less common (or less useful) than the ones in this raid - but for now I'm seeing the raid as a big win for my schedule, and my guild (motion related issues aside - I'm assuming they'll look at fixing that).
  • Options
    Nah, the worst part is just spamming specials without too much concern with what you're doing. The scouts have way too many different buffs on them, making it a bit confusing as to what you need to get to 0 before they die. I just think the whole thing is overly complicated given the relative simplicity of the raid itself.
  • Options
    New raid is better than Krayt, as long as CG gives option to disable the background scrolling and fixes the 3PO cheese.
  • Haugs
    181 posts Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    From a QoL standpoint, it sounds like the raid will be a large improvement. Less frequency, more consistent results, able to be auto’d, etc, etc. These are all pros for convenience’s sake. Ultimately, no matter how fun a new raid is, it’ll get stale after so many attempts. I think being able to auto the raid will age very well for the playerbase.

At the same time, bit sad that the most exciting things about the raid imo are the conveniences. There’s not a lot of “fun” factor for me when I see Endor. Characters become homogenized, the scale feels small, mods ultimately become a chore (again) for those who are gonna do the whole mod swap thing.

I’m less excited and more relieved about this raid, I guess.
  • Options
    > I think being able to auto the raid will age very well for the playerbase.

Definitely true.
  • Options
    I miss the sith raid so much
  • Options
    It’s just another thing to have to do. Absolutely ZERO enjoyment.
  • Options
    It’s just another thing to have to do.

Is it? This is not in addition to past raids. It's replacing a past raid. It's not "another" thing to do. The number of things stays the same, and even goes down a bit given that it's 8 attempts in 6 days instead of 5 attempts in 3.

I mean, I'm not contesting your judgement that this isn't fun for you. I just don't see how this is more work. It's arguably less.
  • Options
    fixes the 3PO cheese.

Why does it need fixing? This behaviour is in keeping with 3po/Hoda/Wat/MM in any other raid
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options
    Imagine a world where the raids rotate. Actual season raids.

A winter Death Star raid.
    A spring CPIT raid.
    A summer Endor raid.
    A fall Dragon raid.
    Each raid would last 3 months.

If CG then made a C-Tank & C-Sith raid, then each of the six would last 2 months.
  • Gawejn
    1125 posts Member
    Options
    Nah, the worst part is just spamming specials without too much concern with what you're doing. The scouts have way too many different buffs on them, making it a bit confusing as to what you need to get to 0 before they die. I just think the whole thing is overly complicated given the relative simplicity of the raid itself.

It is very easy raid, you can get whole idea how to play in like 20 minutes.
  • Gawejn
    1125 posts Member
    Options
    It’s just another thing to have to do.

Is it? This is not in addition to past raids. It's replacing a past raid. It's not "another" thing to do. The number of things stays the same, and even goes down a bit given that it's 8 attempts in 6 days instead of 5 attempts in 3.

I mean, I'm not contesting your judgement that this isn't fun for you. I just don't see how this is more work. It's arguably less.

Much less, i will spend like 3h(75% less) less in a month for doing raid. I like this new raid a lot.
  • Options
    Gawejn wrote: »

Eh, idk about all that. I did a couple dozen runs and at no point did I understand what was happening.
  • Options
    So something that I haven't seen discussed is that this feels like a FinalFantasy MiniGame (MG) to me.

In FF7 there was a MG that required you to snowboard down a mountain. I can't remember what else you had to do, catch balloons or something? It was an arcade game in the middle of this JPRG where you're not using ANY of your characters normal abilities -- those are walled off -- your mana doesn't help you, whatever. All you've got is sliding along and trying to avoid and/or crash into things. The chocobo races were similar as well, in that they were an MG that walled off all the character development you'd been doing. Nothing you equipped and no levels you gained actually mattered.

So the thing about those MGs is that some people actually loved them. They went nuts for them. They had a game saved at the top of the snowy mountain or they spent weeks breeding chocobos to win harder and harder races.

But other players, who were there for the RPG and loved FF7 as much as anyone hated them. They were playing a game that required levelling up, collecting weapons and manna, finding effective combinations and then using them in battle against nasty, magical monsters. What was it with the snowboarding?

This new raid is not SWGOH as we know it. A lot of people are upset and/or just dislike the raid. That's fine. I don't at all know how I feel about it yet. I'm giving it a little time. And to me that makes sense, because this raid is like a brand new game of a completely different character that they're slapping in the middle of SWGOH. Maybe you hate it. If so, it was a swing and a miss on CG's part, sure. But there were people who bred chocobos for WEEKS. Seriously. I think adding a MG to SWGOH wasn't a weird thing to try.

Not only that, but when I needed to snowboard down that mountain when I played through the game again about 10 years ago, I just called in an expert: my 7 year old. She did great and had a great time even though she didn't have the attention span for a play through of the whole ff7 game.

For those of us with kids, I can imagine logging in, slapping on raid mods, and then handing the game to our proverbial 7 year olds who aren't stuck on the way SWGOH "should be" and are still entertained by the simplified rules and reduced kits they find in the speeder bike MG. I know several people who play SWGOH with their kids, handing the game off to the kid for a battle during GAC after starting it or just letting a very young kid press a button while the parent watches.

Yeah, that's not the kind of excitement most of us were looking for in a new raid, but in a world where we're often so separate from each other, actually playing the game WITH your family instead of away from your family can be a really nice thing.

Anyway, as I said, I'm giving it more time, but maybe -- whether you want to play with your family or not -- thinking about this as a MG instead of a raid will help. There's a long tradition of splashing MGs into the middle of larger games, and it's possible that a few of us (not all of us, but a few) will find their Gold Chocobo on Endor.

You are kind, lady, and I appreciate that you can see something good in this big mess. And yes, I also have fond memories of game-in-game or mini-games, you don't even have to go far, just think of KOTOR. I loved pod racer and card games in it, and yes my daughter loved playing those too, while the rest of the game didn't interest her. So thanks for the reminder! :)
    However, no matter how we try to beautify it, this new raid is not raid-level content at all. If it was made more like a mini-game, unfortunately it failed either because 1) it is not enjoyable, it is boring, 2) it makes you sick, 3) it throws the abilities of our characters out the window, 4) its mathematical operation mechanics are too foreign and complicated and 5) it is not at all remembers nicely the movie ROTJ, from which many ideas could have been drawn for a mini-game.
    All in all, what a missed opportunity, a huge mistake!
  • Gawejn
    1125 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »

Eh, idk about all that. I did a couple dozen runs and at no point did I understand what was happening.

Watch vancele video, he explains what is happening.
  • Options

Just reaching for the auto button and sometimes checking to see if my three friends are still alive makes me feel dizzy and sick. So thanks, no, I'm never going to understand the mechanics of how this thing works, and I don't want to.
  • Options
    All in all, what a missed opportunity, a huge mistake!

What if this is the future of raiding though? What if all future raids are more like a 'mini-game' than traditional SWGoH? I'm not opposed to that idea tbh. Sure, there's a part of me that would miss the old style raids, but maybe a mini-game that changes every 8 months isn't the worst thing they could do to keep the game fresh for us.
  • Options
    fixes the 3PO cheese.

Why does it need fixing? This behaviour is in keeping with 3po/Hoda/Wat/MM in any other raid

Because it’s unlikely CG intended for you to run up to 8x battles with one toon. Also, if you cheese with 3PO in this manner, you have to pay attention if he escapes or not at the end of the run / do more runs, which is more work than full auto and exacerbates the motion sickness issues.
  • Options
    fixes the 3PO cheese.

Because it’s unlikely CG intended for you to run up to 8x battles with one toon. Also, if you cheese with 3PO in this manner, you have to pay attention if he escapes or not at the end of the run / do more runs, which is more work than full auto and exacerbates the motion sickness issues.

That still doesn’t explain why C3PO acting like themself and other passive characters in raids is anything other than WAI and requires fixing. Perhaps CG are throwing us one tiny bone to find in this otherwise disappointing featured raid.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options
    fixes the 3PO cheese.

That still doesn’t explain why C3PO acting like themself and other passive characters in raids is anything other than WAI and requires fixing. Perhaps CG are throwing us one tiny bone to find in this otherwise disappointing featured raid.

Because CG has a history of fixing raid exploits that make it too easy to score very high and disincentivize spending elsewhere. See: Finn nerf in HSTR, BAM/Dragon fix in KDH.

I mean, you’re welcome to engage in this fantasy that CG will let you run one toon up to 8x times in their brand new raid. But imo that’s clearly an exploit, not to mention making this raid more work to use the exploit.