Player Created Galactic War posts - MERGED HERE

Replies

• Options
    So i suppose you feel your entitled to not only consistantly finish gw with your current lineup you're also entitled to finish arena in first place every day. Im guessing you feel you should also be able to finish every light and dark side battle with your current strength.

To answer your question your not supposed to be able to beat it any more than a level one player should be able to complete all the light side and dark side battle's without first developing a stronger team. Play the game become stronger and eventually you will blow through gw like everyone else that has spent either money or time to develop a strong team.
    Look, good against pvp is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    ChaseKillz wrote: »
    How is force closing more cheesy than retreating after a team debuffed or health blocked you, And coming back like nothing happened? That team still injured and with no cooldowns?
    It's more cheesy because retreating removed enemy buffs/debuffs but also your own. You had to decide whether the tradeoff was worth it or not.
    And because retreating was used for a lot more than that. I would have been fine with buffs/debuffs staying. Retreating would have been even better. This "fix" made things worse.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    I wish everyone would stop referring to "retreat" as a strategy. It is as much of a strategy as force close was... which means, it isn't a strategy.

Both retreat and force close are cheesing it. You are doing everything in your power to limit damage taken while maximizing damage output.

Testing strategies is so much better with this new method, because you get to play out an entire battle with your team. You get to see the synergies etc. Using retreat, you could test for a few turns until you killed one of their guys and then retreat so you can "lock in" your kill.

Blows my mind that people think retreat was some sort of incredible strategy, ESPECIALLY considering they removed it. The developers determined it wasn't the correct approach and fixed it. So, in my mind, the thing they fixed should be considered the cheesiest of all!

PS: I have been 60 for a while, but I have not seen any change since the update in the teams I face. If anything, barriss is more popular now which makes it easier.

I liked it for the switching factor. I do not need retreat or FC to get through GW. I liked the fun factor that retreat brought though.

I've been at 60 awhile too. No change for me. I've been facing 9 runs of 6-7* 60 Purples since I was mid 50's,lol.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I wish everyone would stop referring to "retreat" as a strategy. It is as much of a strategy as force close was... which means, it isn't a strategy.

It absolutely was a strategy. You had to decide when to use it, because it also removed your own buffs. You had to choose who to sub in and when. You had to manage cooldowns. You got to use many characters in each fight.
    But more than that, retreating would not protect you from characters getting killed. Force-closing (or the new "retreat" which is just force-closing) means you can never have any bad luck affect your game.

Go read my now-useless guide in the Guides section. It describes many different ways to use retreat strategically.
    Blows my mind that people think retreat was some sort of incredible strategy, ESPECIALLY considering they removed it. The developers determined it wasn't the correct approach and fixed it. So, in my mind, the thing they fixed should be considered the cheesiest of all!
    They didn't make this change because it was the right solution. They made it because it was the easy solution.

Completely agree man.

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Go read reddit, the dev on reddit specifically said retreat wasn't the intent of the development team.

Link please. I can find no such comment.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Azraelrulez
    1908 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    @Azraelrulez At no point in time has it been a real viable option for any (who hasn't spent $2K) to finish GW without healers. It just can't be done. The standard GW team has ALWAYS used Luminara plus backup healer.

I take it you don't like this new change. All I'm suggesting is, give it a try. And don't forget that you can still lure the enemy to put their abilities on cooldown by sending in goon squads ahead of your main team. So the only big difference is that you can't switch in members for healing as readily as before. That's my perspective at least.

Of course, I'm going to give it a try. I've already cleared my 1st GW yesterday, next in another 2 hours. I'm worried about the long term prospects, getting up against 70 lvl toons. Eventually, I will reach there, but this being a P2W game, the milestone will necessarily be shifted.

I'm just **** they took an exploit, made it legit. They should've at the least changed it little bit, some health regeneration, cool down resets, something between matches. And what happens, people without an iota of irony are applauding what was their most hated exploit just because it's a button! There are even crazy guys saying using the earlier retreat was unethical, damaging to their integrity while the earlier exploit, now feature, is manna from the heavens :confounded:! Crazy world!

BTW, I used to take my heavy hitters in first, put in some heavy damage, then bring in the healers. I had to time my retreats, healer and special attack cool downs while keeping an eye on their health etc. If I made a mistake and it was post retreat, I'd force close (haha, good to know it's not an exploit). If I found that the mistake was pre retreat, I'd have to juggle my remaining toons efficiently because now I'm mostly up against top toons, my top toons gone. Not rocket science but sometimes, retreats at the wrong time, damaged healers with cool downs 2 turns ahead, I'm dead whatever I do. Last night's GW, force close, check out the RNG, force close, I did it, yay! Easier actually but I'm waiting to see how it'll stack up against 70 guys as I match with max toons a minimum of three to four times every GW. I'll adapt or quit but, yes, I will give it a whirl. What can I say, I'm a Star Wars fan!

Edit: I bought just the Kylo pack, some crystal packs (wasted on Chromiums). Farmed Dooku 4 stars specially for GW, and Daaka about to 5 star for DS missions plus GW. No Bariss, never intended to but now, I think the single most important toon in GW.
  • Options
    Go read reddit, the dev on reddit specifically said retreat wasn't the intent of the development team.

You are wrong Qeltar, I am sorry.

Was a useless keycard battle table their intent? Was broken Asaji their intent? Was broken Leia their intent? They fixed one game mode which very few complained about and left the many many issues that everyone complained about. Bad management of a good game IMO.

Very good point
  • Darivon
    134 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just to further clarify: I was/am actually AGAINST the "Old Retreat" AND the Froce close option.
    This SHOULD HAVE BEEN just plain out 12 consecutive battles with NO WAY of manipulating anything in between.
    But since there is probably no (easy) way to fix the FC component they made it so it's a " legit " option now. With at least a FAIR feeling in that you HAVE TO restart the WHOLE battle and start from the beginning.
    Which in my opinion actually favors, as mentioned, Squad Try-Outs, Strategy in form of who to bring, what to use, how the specific setup gonna match up against this or that one toon/squad etc etc. compared to the old option.
    People who are going to exploit this component - restart the crp out of it till RNG favors you - well , are not worse or any better than anyone else. It's up to themselves HOW they spend their time = playing the game. No judgement here. They know better than anyone else tho that somehow, it doesn't feel "right". For whatever reason. Not tryn to go too deep here.
    Just accept that everyone's different, and you can't please ALL of them with the same move. There WILL be people who like it and people who DON'T. Doesn't make any of them to be "more in the right".
  • Options
    Heronmar wrote: »
    SlyGambit wrote: »
    Breetai wrote: »
    If GW had started out like this there would not be one complaint. GW was actually ment to be like this, that's why they changed it

It clearly was not. The retreat function was modified specifically for GW which is the only real part of the game where the retreat function was actually used.

EA/CG is on record that they did not like that the force exploit and retreat functions were available so they modified the only one they could easily modify to match the behavior of the other.

They did it for expediency not to meet any intended game business requirements. Had they 'intended' GW to be played this way it would have called it 'restart' or 'load from last save' some other more obvious verbiage. The very definition of retreat is that you fall back. Not that you restart.

Even on reddit the dev stated that the pre-patch 'retreat' was considered an exploit and they certainly did not envision it that way.

Going off from verbatim is simply not going to prove you right whether it is called retreat or restart.

The admin/dev team here posted not long ago that they have no representative on reddit though, when someone calling themselves a dev posted there, correct @CG_AaronNemoyten ?

Unless that's changed in the past couple of weeks, which it may have done but if not, then that was no dev on reddit.
  • Options
    I think you want a Retreat that keeps buffs and state but you can switch chars. And part of the problem is the feeling that Restarting was not ok, somehow.

This is how I thought they should 'fix' GW retreat. Just have buffs/debuffs stay on the characters. It was already tracking health and special timers so they just needed to add that.

Then guys who were easy to kill in GW like Poe, Old Ben, and Poggle get back to being more difficult. At the same time if you have somebody who's almost dead and had 5 dots on them from a Vader/Sid combo you could pull them out for that battle and bring them back when you had a chance to heal them. Keep in mind that if you were -only- using the original retreat than whenever you brought back a one-shottable toon for the heal period you were usually still risking them.

That would have increased the difficulty, made it less cheesy since the buff/debuff state remained, and frankly made it more enjoyable.

Force close/restart and then altering combos slightly is just not that fun. And it's not like you alter them to get a better strategy (ie stunning Daka instead of stunning Dooku). No you alter combos so you get better RNG results with a strategy that more than likely is worse on average.
  • Options
    I am level 51 f2p . I am lucky that I have 7 4* characters (and 4 3*) so a reasonably deep bench. For some reason, my 8th battle today was a full level 60 team with 4 5* (including Kylo Ren) and 1 4*. I was able to beat it, but only after about 20 iterations of finding a good RNG, and losing 2 heroes . The remaining battles were easier and I made it all the way, but not exactly a fun way to spend an hour.
  • Rheen
    269 posts Member
    Options
    Not everyone should beat GW. If 100% success rate was there goal then they wouldn't even need you to play it, just log in and get the rewards.

Think of completing GW as a challenge, and approach it as such.

How dare you question our sense of entitlement.

I downloaded the game for free--therefore I deserve every reward and every character unlocked.

IT IS ONLY FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • Options
    Here I'll help

YAY!!!!!! I can beat GW ( just did actually ). I have 18 characters max lvl. With 10 in gear 7. GW is so easy.

What? You can't beat it? HAHAHA sucks to be you.

Honestly stop the complaining. Learn how to play with the changes are leave. These forums have been horrible since the update.

If GW had started out like this there would not be one complaint. GW was actually ment to be like this, that's why they changed it
    Translated; "I spend loads of money on the game because I have nothing better to do with it"

It's supposed to be a f2p game, and sure advantage should always be with the spenders but to make a core game mode more or less impossible after the level 60+ spenders have already exploited an apparently broken mechanic time and time again is ****.[/quote]

Well I was going to offer you some help until this comment. I'm P2P I spend money, a good deal, because I work my tail off and deserve to spend it on what I want without someone trying to insult me for it. I'm also one of the biggest advocates for helping F2P players here. Look around the forums. Was the comment you quoted rude, yes, but you just lumped all spenders into a group with your insult. Pity I could have told you easily how to defeat that squad with you you have.

Regardless of your insulting comments I wish you luck in the game. Piece of advice is ignore the jerks and don't lump all P2P people into one category. There are others like me who help people, but I'm sure are less inclined when we are insulted by one seeking help.
  • Options

It was easier to complete, B)
  • Options
    Trading off buffs/debuffs with the ai by retreating always will work in your favor. You know how to focus fire, they don't
    467-325-146
    Pretty good collection of characters so far and GROWING
  • Options

did you send a team D-team of meatbags to lose and absorb their soecials? I've read it works the same as before. But you must lose those chars.

Yes, you can throw meat into the grinder to soak up the specials, they just have to all die. Luckily, my opponents obliged by erasing them all post haste.

I needed to sacrifice 15 toons to get through my last 3 GW battles. The last was all level 61(less than 12 hours after update!!! Think of the credits and droids let alone the XP required?) but it was the 10th that gave me the most grief.
    I spent 45 minutes just on that one encounter trying every possible permutation to no avail before I used the sacrificial lambs.

I couldn't clear Han's taunt fast enough to avoid the crit fest by the other toons, especially Resistance Pilot.
    My Ventress and Mace were too slow.
    My Droid team couldn't survive a round even with a 5* Lobot leader granting 21 speed and 10% potency.
    My Daka and Dooku were only half strength so didn't survive the opening round even if they got stuns, I couldn't keep up with Talia's and Ahsoka's heals and Sid kept heal blocking me while Han controlled the turn meter.
    It was impossible with the state of my mains going in so I threw in the towel and chucked a bunch of Ewoks, Stormtroopers and Coruscant Police at them to take the brunt.
    Round 10
    14scuf5.png

Round 11
    2wm3upu.png

Round 12
    15yivkn.jpg

The LVL 61 jump is minuscule. Maxed out Lumi increases by a whopping 40 power,lol. Daka releases gas at a power level higher than that increase. I'm not going to bother with the 100k and droids it takes to level up 1 mark. I'll wait and Level at 65 and at 70. Though being a tester I will keep going lvl by lvl with Lumi to see if there is any big jump, then reassess my idea.
  • Jabberwocky
    1809 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nicks075 wrote: »
    So i suppose you feel your entitled to not only consistantly finish gw with your current lineup you're also entitled to finish arena in first place every day. Im guessing you feel you should also be able to finish every light and dark side battle with your current strength.

To answer your question your not supposed to be able to beat it any more than a level one player should be able to complete all the light side and dark side battle's without first developing a stronger team. Play the game become stronger and eventually you will blow through gw like everyone else that has spent either money or time to develop a strong team.

Was that directed at me or the OP?
    I finished GW today, including a full level 61 team. I also have a lot of #1 finishes in Arena, just not everyday though I'm always top 10.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • MeetraSurik
    313 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    d3gauss wrote: »
    IMHO what needs to be done.

Apologise for making such a big change without notice.
    Revert it back to old system and even penalise force close (it's a cheat, you lose a character you shouldn't get a do over)
    Compensate all players for mistake(both the implementation and not telling anyone)
    -15 Vader shards, several training droids should do the trick

It's not cheating. @CG_AaronNemoyten said that turning retreat into force close was CG's way of telling us that they just see it as part of the game, much like the previous implementation of retreat that was also not cheating.

Try reading the thread you're posting in.

Also, catering to the **** that thought it was cheating is why it was made into what we have now, so good job!

They had 2 different ways to retreat, they wanted to cut that down to 1. It would be harder to stop the FC loophole than to change the intended design of retreat. You can tell retreat was intended to work that way because the gw retreat saving current status is different than any other game mode retreat.

So basically they took the easier and cheaper road. Don't pretend for a second that FC was ever more legitimate.

We can split the hair of, "more or less legitimate" until we need an electron microscope. Force closing is not cheating.
    Telaan wrote: »

@CG_AaronNemoyten Poor poor decision. I'm afraid this game is going down the typically dark path Star Wars games traditionally do.

There were two separate ways that functioned differently. So what? Everyone had access to them. That's fair and consistent.....

I'm sorry but I don't accept your vague and presumptive "dark path" comment.

Many players considered force-quitting an exploit, and some considered Retreating an exploit. Neither of them are explicitly documented in the game. If we only have one, we're endorsing a method and establishing that we don't consider it an exploit.
    owIhGop.jpg
  • Options
    this is exactly the reason I spent all my crystals on refreshes and farmed the XP event. Ran it about 8 times and gathered enough droids to level up 3 more characters to almost 60. I have to do it all over again to get more up. You have to re adjust and level up more characters so you have options when going into battle.
    Ingame name Daremo
    Player Ally Code: 631-533-975
  • TchacaBR
    6 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lumi(Leader) + Barris + JC + Dooku + Sidi = Owned
  • padayaz
    17 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OP here.
    I'm honestly puzzled by people saying "wait until you'll hit a squad of level 70". Won't I get there a week later at the most? This game is all about the grind, and my squad - as well as everyone else's - will get better and better as time goes by. If you know what you're doing, and you put the time and effort, you'll do fine against a ridiculously stupid AI.
    Personally, I have never used Force Close. Not because I'm a purist (I am definitely not that), but because by the time I heard about it - maybe a couple of weeks ago - I was already level 60 and beating 90% of the GW anyhow with the retreat option, so I didn't see any point in using FC anyhow.
    Regardless of whether you like the new GW or not, I think you have to admit the retreat feature was terribly OP. I saw it - and still see it - as an easy way for F2P players as myself to quickly grind 7* Lumi and Cpt Phasma, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    On a different topic, I think that all the XP we've accumulated since reaching level 60 should have been awarded to the players, even at a discount rate. I'm really surprised there wasn't an outcry about that, and seeing that screenshot from the guy who was stocking up on energy for the update, makes me feel really silly for not thinking about it myself, which probably contributes to my frustration. Alas, next time.
  • thisgameisdope
    297 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wont work the reasons is simple....your 2 reasons are not making senses:

1) tone down the over leveled opponents earlier in GW - - - - - Don't you know even they look high level but for the first 6, it still easy opponent teams to beat?

2) actually have your characters heal in between battles (like the description of GW suggests, i believe), so that low-health characters aren't as good as dead - - - - - - Might help only A LITTLE bit but it will not helps your team at all in the next round...I'm using Luminara as a leader, so she gives 300+ Hp every turn to my Jedi, it helps but not so much, remember their damage at least 1k....

3)"super boss" - - - - - - Galactic war is suppose against other player teams...so putting some AI is not a good idea at all

Period...anything else?
  • Options
    Problem for me is this.... I found a game I like and they changed it and I don't like it anymore.

It's not about bottles, crying, raging or anything. If you spent money on a steak and it turned to chicken liver (substitute something you hate here), it's bad. Some people spent lots of money and now they simply don't have they paid for. While some people may be OK with that.... It appears from everything I see most people are not...

I went from loving EA to hating them overnight. I have never played a game that has so many glitches, failed to give rewards and given shards then they don't hit the account.... It's just too much.... And customer service offers 100 war credits... I mean really... That's just an insult. I encourage everyone who is upset to put in a ticket about missing content. It won't get you anything, but at least those seem to get noticed.

I am quitting the game and likely quitting EA in general. There are thousands of games out there that give better customer service and make you feel good giving them your money. Right now I regret every dime I ever spent with EA. not just with this game and the update, but because of the way they handle customer service and don't care about loyal customers.

It is a sad day to be an ex fan of this game in particular and EA in general....

Please put in tickets as well as these posts. Put in tickets for missing content if you have ever missed anything.... Those seem to get noticed better....

AT LEAST THEY WILL KNOW THAT WAY....
  • Options
    Nicks075 wrote: »

Was that directed at me or the OP?
    I finished GW today, including a full level 61 team. I also have a lot of #1 finishes in Arena, just not everyday though I'm always top 10.

To the op.
    Look, good against pvp is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.
  • Options
    This is directed at those who say "the new GW is awesome, way better and easier than it was before" please explain to me how the **** I am supposed to beat this;

d3qWduI.jpg

With this;

zSS6ez0.jpg

a6FXdf0.jpg

As you keep pointing out, players like me are scrubs and only you mighty few elite know how to beat GW in its current format, so I bow down to your amazing prowess.

The new GW is bollocks, I will now miss out on rewards for battles 9-12 costing me shards, money, training droids and ability materials. It's a shame, I was going to start spending a couple of hundred pounds each month to keep up with the top players on my server, but now CG can go suck an egg as they won't be getting a penny off me for this broken excuse for a game.

The trick I've found for GW now is make sure you have a couple fast chars in your bench... Ideally with stun specials. Dooku and daka are prime examples. Add in Sideous and 2 healers, or swap out Dooku for FOTP or another high damage attacker.

I also used Phasma leader. The new feature allowed me to restart uNeil I had first attack and got Daka to stun the most dangerous (or 2) of the enemy. If I lost a character I'd restart and try again changing something. I only had one really really tough fight for my main squad. Took about 10 restarts to get a run that worked.

Most tries I lost 2 of my A squad by the end. By the final try I ended with all characters full health. Having stun and ability block helps.

For the record I'm MOSTLY f2p. When I first joined I bought the Dooku pack and I think maybe one $20 crystal pack. I have since bought about 3x 220 crystal packs. I did the subscription for the time it was offered. In total probably $40 or so spent.

I only have 2x 7*, Luminara and sid that I could farm. I have a couple of 5/6* and about 6-8 4* that I've slowly raised to near level 60. I use my arena crystal for refreshes and if I build up enough spare I'll buy a chromium once every 10 days or so with my f2p crystal
  • Options
    This isn't the first game to patch, update, fix, buff, or nerf something in their game, yeah it sucks but what can you do.
    467-325-146
    Pretty good collection of characters so far and GROWING
  • Heronmar
    433 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Heronmar wrote: »
    SlyGambit wrote: »

It clearly was not. The retreat function was modified specifically for GW which is the only real part of the game where the retreat function was actually used.

EA/CG is on record that they did not like that the force exploit and retreat functions were available so they modified the only one they could easily modify to match the behavior of the other.

They did it for expediency not to meet any intended game business requirements. Had they 'intended' GW to be played this way it would have called it 'restart' or 'load from last save' some other more obvious verbiage. The very definition of retreat is that you fall back. Not that you restart.

Even on reddit the dev stated that the pre-patch 'retreat' was considered an exploit and they certainly did not envision it that way.

Going off from verbatim is simply not going to prove you right whether it is called retreat or restart.

The admin/dev team here posted not long ago that they have no representative on reddit though, when someone calling themselves a dev posted there, correct @CG_AaronNemoyten ?

Unless that's changed in the past couple of weeks, which it may have done but if not, then that was no dev on reddit.

New post by the dev or at least a team member on reddit regarding the GW. And I'm quite certain he is at the very least affiliated with CG in a manner otherwise he'd not have the flair.

The intent behind Galactic Wars is to present a challenge that is, effectively, the hardest you've ever faced. It was NEVER designed to be a cake walk, and in fact, was not designed to even be fully completed until the player had a significantly powerful roster they could rotate through. It was designed so that, during play, you would lose units. Knowing this, we allowed for a player to retreat, re-work their party and then continue. Furthermore, we anticipated that (most) players would not be able to fully complete GW every day until they had spent more time building up a diverse roster of leveled-up characters.
    What happened, however, was that players utilized an oversight to circumvent the intention of GW. When it was discovered that this was the defacto style of play, we fixed it. As noted in the description of GW (which has been in the game since we launched it) this style of play was never our intention. Retreat was intended as a tactical option so player would not be trapped in a helpless situation watching their entire party get wiped out because they couldn't replace a unit.
    GW is supposed to increase in difficulty. GW is supposed to give you new random enemies every day. GW us supposed to be "end game" content. When you start hitting the level cap, those enemies, by the nature of the design, will be, for a time, extraordinarily difficult to defeat. It is very likely you will not be able to defeat them initially.
    That's part of the game. It's supposed to get more difficult and to encourage players to experiment with their roster, to level up more than just the five or so units that you use in PvP, and to experiment with synergies. It's supposed to be a major accomplishment when you defeat GW
    NOW, THAT SAID, are there units that may or may not be OP? It's possible. I think we've demonstrated that we're always keeping an eye on unit behaviour and adjusting accordingly. This would be a separate issue and one that we are always working on.

I'd like to address a few comments I've read.

/u/Guyde said:
    Now the strategy is more or less gone. No more watching turn meters to figure out the optimal time to swap out a damaged squad member. No more battles for Chewie the pinch-tanker, always willing to soak up a round of damage and then be benched, knowing that you'd heal him up later after Sid had been dealth with. No more love for poor Royal Guard and his magnificently weak Nerf Sword, allowing Lumi and JC to finish cooldowns before the next round. No more... strategy.
    IF that was how people were using Retreat, this would never have been an issue. What was happening is, players would wait until the enemy popped all their skills, retreat, come back in and all buffs/debuffs on the enemy were gone and they couldn't use their skills. The other thing they were doing was retreating when a unit got low, swapping out for all healers, going back in and healing to full health, retreating and then bringing back a full unit.

/u/CableSCES
    I honestly don't see how we're supposed to complete GW now. I'm level 55 and facing all purple 6/7 star level 60 teams... I can run through my entire array of characters and not take that out. Gah. Too rough.
    I think of this a lot like FF7. I remember the first time I was running around the world and I saw a big creature on the map. I remember running at him aaaaaaaand getting my butt handed to me. I also remember the work I put in to eventually beat him AND the feeling of accomplishment when that happened. Galactic War is designed to have stronger opponents at the end, and to encourage the player to get stronger. At 55, I'd be shocked if you were able to fully beat GW with consistency.

/u/shoulda_kept_lurkin
    this update literally made it so the gap between those at 60 and the newcomers is now almost unobtainable for the average person.

This shouldn't happen. When new players join the game, they're assigned to a new bucket so they're grouped with other new players. We don't put new players in to a bucket where everyone is already 60--THAT would be unfair.
    Link below for those who are interested,

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/40zdlw/psa_retreating_in_galactic_war_will_now_reset/cyzf7dx
  • Options
    So I'm not certain whether this is against the ToS, I believe it is not, regardless a dev on reddit answered the logic behind the GW change, perhaps if the below post could be added by @EA_Jesse or others as a sticky I believe it'd be helpful.

I quoted the dev so that it is an easier read,

The intent behind Galactic Wars is to present a challenge that is, effectively, the hardest you've ever faced. It was NEVER designed to be a cake walk, and in fact, was not designed to even be fully completed until the player had a significantly powerful roster they could rotate through. It was designed so that, during play, you would lose units. Knowing this, we allowed for a player to retreat, re-work their party and then continue. Furthermore, we anticipated that (most) players would not be able to fully complete GW every day until they had spent more time building up a diverse roster of leveled-up characters.
    What happened, however, was that players utilized an oversight to circumvent the intention of GW. When it was discovered that this was the defacto style of play, we fixed it. As noted in the description of GW (which has been in the game since we launched it) this style of play was never our intention. Retreat was intended as a tactical option so player would not be trapped in a helpless situation watching their entire party get wiped out because they couldn't replace a unit.
    GW is supposed to increase in difficulty. GW is supposed to give you new random enemies every day. GW us supposed to be "end game" content. When you start hitting the level cap, those enemies, by the nature of the design, will be, for a time, extraordinarily difficult to defeat. It is very likely you will not be able to defeat them initially.
    That's part of the game. It's supposed to get more difficult and to encourage players to experiment with their roster, to level up more than just the five or so units that you use in PvP, and to experiment with synergies. It's supposed to be a major accomplishment when you defeat GW
    NOW, THAT SAID, are there units that may or may not be OP? It's possible. I think we've demonstrated that we're always keeping an eye on unit behaviour and adjusting accordingly. This would be a separate issue and one that we are always working on.

I'd like to address a few comments I've read.
    Guyde wrote:
    /u/Guyde said:
    Now the strategy is more or less gone. No more watching turn meters to figure out the optimal time to swap out a damaged squad member. No more battles for Chewie the pinch-tanker, always willing to soak up a round of damage and then be benched, knowing that you'd heal him up later after Sid had been dealth with. No more love for poor Royal Guard and his magnificently weak Nerf Sword, allowing Lumi and JC to finish cooldowns before the next round. No more... strategy.
    IF that was how people were using Retreat, this would never have been an issue. What was happening is, players would wait until the enemy popped all their skills, retreat, come back in and all buffs/debuffs on the enemy were gone and they couldn't use their skills. The other thing they were doing was retreating when a unit got low, swapping out for all healers, going back in and healing to full health, retreating and then bringing back a full unit.
    CableSCES wrote:
    /u/CableSCES
    I honestly don't see how we're supposed to complete GW now. I'm level 55 and facing all purple 6/7 star level 60 teams... I can run through my entire array of characters and not take that out. Gah. Too rough.
    I think of this a lot like FF7. I remember the first time I was running around the world and I saw a big creature on the map. I remember running at him aaaaaaaand getting my butt handed to me. I also remember the work I put in to eventually beat him AND the feeling of accomplishment when that happened. Galactic War is designed to have stronger opponents at the end, and to encourage the player to get stronger. At 55, I'd be shocked if you were able to fully beat GW with consistency.
    /u/shoulda_kept_lurkin
    this update literally made it so the gap between those at 60 and the newcomers is now almost unobtainable for the average person.

This shouldn't happen. When new players join the game, they're assigned to a new bucket so they're grouped with other new players. We don't put new players in to a bucket where everyone is already 60--THAT would be unfair.
    Link below for those who are interested,

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/40zdlw/psa_retreating_in_galactic_war_will_now_reset/cyzf7dx
  • Options
    Finished GW today. I'm lvl.60. Lost my JC and sid in node 11. My finishing team was daka Talia ns initiate geo sold and luminara. It's tough. Gotta rethink things now. GW before was super easy with force close and retreat. Now it's def a challenge. I guess everyone wants a free and easy 1200 stones. Adapt and overcome.
  • Options
    Really now.
    More strategy this way? Thats quite frankly ludicrous. I finished GW 9/10 before and envision clearing it 10/10 now. All thanks to the mighty RNGesus! Whereas before I needed to carefully plan for each consecutive battle and make sure I had the right replacements ready, not to mention memorizing cooldowns on both sides now I just load up my top 5 and cheese through it all. Granted some battles may need a few tries but thats purely RNG and requires no planning or strategy whatsoever. Its boring as ****! Granted I didn't even know about the force close before the update but retreat as it was made it feel intense, you had to stay on top of things and think every move through. There were consequences. Now? If things dont go your way just restart! On the off chance my top5 arent suited to a particular enemy I can just throw any composition against it and if it looks pomising replay until I nail them with ~90% hp left on all mine. There's nothing to loose doing this, it requires very little thought and ultimately depends on luck (read: number of tries). The old system helped counter bad luck but at the same time there was a real sense of consequences, a fine line between where you would cut and run vs. go all in and maybe sacrifice 1 or 2 from your A team. At its current state GW is now cheesy as ****, way easier than before (at least with a deep bench, 12+ maxed) requires no mental effort and generally has the same uninspired feel as that of a coin toss you're allowed to flip until you win.

I made this account purely to rage about this change to GW, I'm mostly f2p but have poured more into this sorry excuse of a game than what you usually pay for an AAA game. I will not be spending more, this sealed the deal for me. I hope I have learnt my lesson never again to spend cash on mobile games. GW (before the recent changes) was becoming the only even remotely interesting thing to do between all the grind and timers to fit your life around. Thanks CG and EA for crapping all over it and releasing me from this self built prison of mine! But then I guess it follows the general trend in gaming to dumb everything down when you can, think accessability!!! Yawn.

Also I managed 4 on my servers leaderboard before the whales started flooding the top 20. That pretty much spoiled the pvp for me. I never stray below 50 but there is no hope of ever holding 1 during payouts so what's the point? The no 1 on my server was lvl 64 within a few hours after the update!!! This was an entirely different rant but I figure why the hell not, I'm on a roll here!