Making Squad Tournaments Interesting and Fun

Replies

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Well we'll see. It's nice to have the extra option to switch around for different attempts at the RNG.
  • Marko79
    34 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am IOS but maybe have not examined his kit but with having Wiggs + Lando, STH and either Akbar/Leila I am not sure I could find a place for him on my rebels team not to mention most my current rebels are G8-G10 so I don't feel that disadvantaged as I have the rebel team I have spent the last few months building and gearing
  • Prehenat
    64 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    They won't get rid of tournaments due ton the whales and belugas. It is their way of keeping everyone seperated so the elite few and their stable of players continue to grow, dominate, post you tube videos, and reciever unlimited resources.

Everyone hates them except the 1 percent.
    Post edited by ShaolinPunk on
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Olga wrote: »
    Yeah, probably. My Rebels are Akbar G10, Leia G10, STH G10 (probs G11 by the event), Lando G9 (that's why I don't use him much but probs G10 by the event), and Hoth Rebel Scout G8. I love my Hoth Rebel Scout, but he is the weak link in the group atm, and I will probably just have K2S0 on that spot instead, though I will try to get him G10 too because I love him.

But this is my point precisely. HRS would also work in the event if you focused him to G10 - you are simply choosing K2SO because you like him better - and that's cool. But it's not giving you any advantage - your team would take down the event easily anyway (your team is stronger than the team I used last time).

I rest my case. ;)

But what about those who had 4 strong 7* rebels before and then they got K2SO for free?
    Thats a huge advantage.. And i think a lot gets palpatine because of this. If someone where farming their last rebel, but then they get K2 for free and can farm another instead.

A ftp farm takes really long and the fact that you can choose to farm one over another is a very good advantage for a ftp player...

Also the hole point with this game is to collect characters and then there is a character you can't get but others can for FREE. Its just a really empty feeling you get, because this is a game you love and have been playing in a long time now..

But I don't wanna keep "crying" like many of you say we do.. Its just.. Disappointing. :/
    (sry if my english is bad btw)

• Options
    The rewards are way too top heavy. Let something like the top 1500 unlock the character. Still give the top several places the 7*, 6*,5*, but as it stands right now, there is zero incentive for a ftp person to even bother wasting any ally points. The way it's set up, not a single person in my guild is planning on doing anything but a single attack for the minimum rewards. 50k ally points are better spent in bronzium for all but the largest of whales.
  • Options
    And yes, I realize 50k is way low for someone to actually do well in a tourney. It's more like 200k+.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I have to say I do not like the tournaments.

To be honest they take too much time and the rewards aren't really worth it - mainly its the time issue for me and all the whales get top tiers anyway, so what's the point really?

Especially when they run these two events for these Rogue One characters back to back - its crazy.

I hope they just stop running the tournaments or run them every 6 months but make the prizes crazy good.
  • Options
    I don't understand the whole this is just for whales, they should change it. It they ran it like a real tournament, put everyone in one bracket, best roster wins, the same people that win now would still win. However, the people who don't spend a lot would finish far worse off then they do now. They would have no chance whatsoever of getting a decent prize. At least using ally points gives non spenders a better shot at getting something.
  • Options
    Personally not a fan.
    But my dislike is related not so much to the event (although the grouping not being made by arena server age is something that bothers me) but to the fact that now it seems that each character(OP chars at that) that gets released goes via tournaments...

and then we have to wait months...

to

finish the **** character...
    (if they made the characters available elsewhere, shortly, I wouldn't probably dislike them so much...)
  • Options
    Would you prefer they go back to releasing the characters in packs only?
  • Options
    What would you all prefer? Releasing characters back in packs only? I don't love tournements either but it's a lot better then the old way
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    WhiskeyPug wrote: »

This has always been my thought too. And it's why I accept tourneys. I think if the characters where added to Chrome and then a hard node or 2, people would be more accepting. It sure beats having to spend 200 bucks on arodrium packs.

I think the problem is, a lot of players want them released similar to yoda/palp style events where everyone can have a 7*.
  • Options
    I'd prefer a simultaneous release to aurodiums and tournaments to be honest, so I could just skip them.
  • Options

I think a lot of people would be more content if they could just unlock the character even if it takes money or long grinding to 7* them in the future.
  • Options
    But getting 5-10 shards a tourney is kind of a slap in the face when the winner gets a full 7*
  • Options

Yes
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    What would you all prefer? Releasing characters back in packs only? I don't love tournements either but it's a lot better then the old way

Whiskeypug where do I know you from
  • Options
    Galdin_Wan wrote: »
    I enjoy them. You can play as much as you want, however you want, whoever you want until you run out of ally points. You don't have to worry about teams you use becoming your defensive teams, so you can try out all types of lineups. The rewards I get from tournaments are greater than what I would have gotten pressing 'buy again' over and over opening bronzium packs.

If you don't like them, don't do them. But don't try stop it for everyone else.

I don't think you realize that a lot of people only have one PVP quality team. I've been playing since January and even though I have a lot of good toons for raids and GW and such, I only have so many toons that will actually win me battles once I get towards the top.
  • Options
    I think if they either fixed the shard placement or lengthened the rewards list so that more people can unlock and start the character it would be more widely liked.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    oofalong wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »
    At least they're only 24 hours long now.

What's so funny to me about this comment is that it's true, but it's a stark reminder that regardless of the length of time there are still so many aspects of tournaments that are not liked. In other words, if I had to choose between 24 hrs and 48+ hrs of agony I'll choose the 24 hr version - but where's the choose for no agony?

Well, the choice for no agony is to set your defense team so you register for base rewards and then to not play.

I'm asking for a better way to obtain new toons that doesn't require hours of fruitless game play when only 1 player out of thousands can get the toon 7*.

I agree 100%

I don't really bother with tournaments anymore. It's basically a fruitless effort.
  • Options
    jabo5886 wrote: »
    I think if they either fixed the shard placement or lengthened the rewards list so that more people can unlock and start the character it would be more widely liked.

Lengthening the reward table was exactly my original point. Thank you.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Tournaments are the reason we get so many ally points. If you take that away, you take away the awesome bronzium farm, and I don't think anyone wants that.
  • Options
    I have enjoyed the ones that I have a chance at unlocking the character at 5 stars. Although that hasn't been frequent. If they stretched the rewards out so more people could unlock it would be better. It would also be nice if it wasn't all Meta teams on defense at the Top. Depending on the shard I get placed on I peak at a certain point because it is all Fast Wiggs or Droid teams.
  • Options
    Malthael wrote: »
    I'd prefer a simultaneous release to aurodiums and tournaments to be honest, so I could just skip them.

Aurodiums are way better for P2P and Tourneys are better for F2P. The offset is that whales spend waaaaay more than usual for a character but F2P has a chance for new characters instead of it being behind a huge paywall. (As long as you save up all your Ally Points)
  • Options
    My opinion is that they are really boring and dont really work on skill or roster, but just how many AP you have. They are trying to fix this it seems.

The other issue is a player should be able to do pretty well in 2 tournaments and have a 7* but if you get 25-100 in 1 tournament to get 7* after the next tournament you still need to get 1st. That is just silly.
  • Options
    I hate the tournaments. If I could propose a fix, it would be to guarantee us certain rewards when we achieve a certain point total regardless of actual rank. Finish rank 500? No problem. As long as you got more than, say, 5000 points in the tournament, you are guaranteed a character unlock, 500k credits, and a shot at purple or raid gear.

The only problem with this would be people setting weak teams so that everyone could get up over that threshold.
  • Options
    Making defensive squads matter doesn't work. One because people with alt accounts can attack themselves for more points or have guildmates that don't want to participate attack for extra points. Also people that have strong teams are just avoided and won't gain any defensive points losing the whole competitive edge. Just remove defense squad all together and use people's arena team, thats what it is anyways.

Really what needs to change is the reward structure. Do a tier based reward system where you get shards for a certain amount of points. This eliminates the need to be on your phone for 2 hours before payout mashing the refresh button. Also if you get screwed into a difficult shard, you still have a chance to unlock oppose to the current system where one shard someone can 7* with 5k points and another shard people with 7k points don't even unlock. Rewards should be based on strength of teams instead of what shard you got placed on.

Also make toons available after the tournament. Doesn't matter where, probably shipments or chromium makes most sense since they should be valuable toons. But throwing them into the abyss is just annoying and not worth participating in the tournament for 25 shards if you can't finish the toon.

I do like faction based tournaments, that would be very interesting. Also 6v6 dual leadership would be fun to see.
  • Options
    Why two tournaments in so short time?? EA playing with us? This is getting boring af.. From the 2nd one it was not interesting.. Endless battles for nothing.. In the 1st one I was #100 or #200 I dont remember but after that tournament I was in top #1000 and more.. its who have more ally points and not who is more powerful..
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    guess we'll find out tomorrow
    optimistic me says they are now like ships
    pessimistic me says it stays the same
  • Options
    Marko79 wrote: »
    I am IOS but maybe have not examined his kit but with having Wiggs + Lando, STH and either Akbar/Leila I am not sure I could find a place for him on my rebels team not to mention most my current rebels are G8-G10 so I don't feel that disadvantaged as I have the rebel team I have spent the last few months building and gearing

The point is with thousands and thousands of players it's impossible to know the effect that a free 7* character will have but it definitely will have an effect in many many cases.