Can we get a different tie breaker than player ID for raid?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    TesVevec wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Adjusting the ranking to the same system in guild activities is far too all. Ties get same rank and next in line starts the numbering where they placed.
    that would only solve the problem of the players soloing the whole raid. I think it would be fair to get the same reward for a damage of 3.154.560 and 3.154.450
    With the solution i suggested a few comments before, the rank would became irrelevant, and the in guild competition would finally be eliminated.
    And maybe they could create a leaderboard between guilds, and rank guilds based on the total damage dealt by all members :smiley:

But honestly, there is no other tie unless 2 people solo the raid. I see no reason to remove the competition, it is what drives people to make better teams.

Reaching higher reward tiers would drive people make better teams i believe. With the current system, if you want better rewards, you have to take that away from your team mates.
    Someone in a weaker guild can be rank1 with 3M. In a strong guild you will not get in top5 with 3M, and you will get less rewards. How is that fair that another player with the same score is getting better prizes just because he is in a weaker guild? Why is the system punishing you for being loyal member of a strong guild?

Competition should be between guilds and not within the guild imo.

Once you set a fixed goal post some will get to a tier and never strive to do better because the reward is good enough. I just think the same system for guild activities is a great system for tie breakers. The suggestion of a damage tiered system has been suggested for many events but I just don't think it's fir this game, it just doesn't seem to fit any of the mechanisms.

I don't care what others get, same argument is made in tournaments and it just doesn't bother me. You are grouped how you are grouped (in guilds it's your choice ) your not being punished for being loyal, you are not scoring as high for not farming the right toons, or more mods. Or your competitors are spending $ and that's their advantage....

Your rank (and reward) doesnt depend on your score, it depends on other members score..
    so every time you take a better reward someone will get less, and not because their score is s***t.
    What if you farmed the right toons, and also spent some $ so you have the right toons maxed after 4 months of playing. But your guild mate who is playing for 8 months, did not spend any $ but also has the same toons at the same level, scores just a bit more (say 50k), and he is getting the red box, not you. Then where is your advantage? The advantage should be that you reached the same reward tier sooner.
    There is one thing you can do in this case to get the better reward, leave to another guild. Because if you stay you will never win it (or maybe sometimes if you had better rng)

I would not care what the others get, if it were really their choice (invest more in the raid team or not). But look at OP's screenshot. You cant say that the guy at rank4 did not farm the right toons.. And i dont know what is the next score but a rank18 reward for 9.5M dmg does not seem right for me. Just because many of your guildies can solo the whole raid and you are not yet there..

Again your proposed situation doesn't bother me. I still think this system works for this game. 50k damage will go both ways and doesn't matter who gets the red box this time, that is the game.

I just don't believe in the everyone is first model you propose. The only time this should happen is if, they are both actually first.
  • Options
    Adjusting the ranking to the same system in guild activities is far too all. Ties get same rank and next in line starts the numbering where they placed.
    that would only solve the problem of the players soloing the whole raid. I think it would be fair to get the same reward for a damage of 3.154.560 and 3.154.450
    With the solution i suggested a few comments before, the rank would became irrelevant, and the in guild competition would finally be eliminated.
    And maybe they could create a leaderboard between guilds, and rank guilds based on the total damage dealt by all members :smiley:

But honestly, there is no other tie unless 2 people solo the raid. I see no reason to remove the competition, it is what drives people to make better teams.

Reaching higher reward tiers would drive people make better teams i believe. With the current system, if you want better rewards, you have to take that away from your team mates.
    Someone in a weaker guild can be rank1 with 3M. In a strong guild you will not get in top5 with 3M, and you will get less rewards. How is that fair that another player with the same score is getting better prizes just because he is in a weaker guild? Why is the system punishing you for being loyal member of a strong guild?

Once you set a fixed goal post some will get to a tier and never strive to do better because the reward is good enough. I just think the same system for guild activities is a great system for tie breakers. The suggestion of a damage tiered system has been suggested for many events but I just don't think it's fir this game, it just doesn't seem to fit any of the mechanisms.

I don't care what others get, same argument is made in tournaments and it just doesn't bother me. You are grouped how you are grouped (in guilds it's your choice ) your not being punished for being loyal, you are not scoring as high for not farming the right toons, or more mods. Or your competitors are spending $ and that's their advantage....

Your rank (and reward) doesnt depend on your score, it depends on other members score..
    so every time you take a better reward someone will get less, and not because their score is s***t.
    What if you farmed the right toons, and also spent some $ so you have the right toons maxed after 4 months of playing. But your guild mate who is playing for 8 months, did not spend any $ but also has the same toons at the same level, scores just a bit more (say 50k), and he is getting the red box, not you. Then where is your advantage? The advantage should be that you reached the same reward tier sooner.
    There is one thing you can do in this case to get the better reward, leave to another guild. Because if you stay you will never win it (or maybe sometimes if you had better rng)

I would not care what the others get, if it were really their choice (invest more in the raid team or not). But look at OP's screenshot. You cant say that the guy at rank4 did not farm the right toons.. And i dont know what is the next score but a rank18 reward for 9.5M dmg does not seem right for me. Just because many of your guildies can solo the whole raid and you are not yet there..

Again your proposed situation doesn't bother me. I still think this system works for this game. 50k damage will go both ways and doesn't matter who gets the red box this time, that is the game.

I just don't believe in the everyone is first model you propose. The only time this should happen is if, they are both actually first.

Ok I get it, you dont care much about the rewards.
    But many players do care. I dont like to compete with my team mates, and not because of who wins.
    My point is, a guild should be about having a common goal and help each other so the group can get stronger. Game designers should give us tasks where we can work together as a team and have fun. Competition for raid rewards is the opposite of this. And with the current reward system you can help yourself by taking away from the others..
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

But many players do care. I dont like to compete with my team mates, and not because of who wins.
    My point is, a guild should be about having a common goal and help each other so the group can get stronger. Game designers should give us tasks where we can work together as a team and have fun. Competition for raid rewards is the opposite of this. And with the current reward system you can help yourself by taking away from the others..

It's friendly competition. Do you not remember working together to complete racnor? Now we are passed that point, but many "new" guilds are still there.

I do care about the rewards but I am just against an everyone is first model for raids.

If they released new content with that reward structure so be it. But the floating goal post is in every aspect of the game. What's wrong with friendly competition in a guild. It keeps things from getting stale. The only thing wrong with the current structure is an arbitrary order being set for exactly the same score.
  • Options

It's friendly competition. Do you not remember working together to complete racnor? Now we are passed that point, but many "new" guilds are still there.

I do care about the rewards but I am just against an everyone is first model for raids.

If they released new content with that reward structure so be it. But the floating goal post is in every aspect of the game. What's wrong with friendly competition in a guild. It keeps things from getting stale. The only thing wrong with the current structure is an arbitrary order being set for exactly the same score.

It's not friendly if there is a big difference in the rewards imo. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with friendly competition.
    Haha I dont remember, 2-3 guys from my guild could easily clear T7 Rancor already when I joined them. It was an ideal guild structure back then, to have players of all levels, big hitters got the big rewards and I was happy with my first 2 Han Solo shards and a few raid gear pieces that i got for 60k total damage :)) But now that for the heroic AAT you need most members in the guild to be rancor hard hitters.. why is one hard hitter getting a gold box, the other just a purple box when there is no big difference in their power? I think there is enough RNG already in the boxes. i'm not saying everyone be 1st, but it would be nice if all the players who can remove 30% hp of the whole raid would get some valuable stuff. (Ok, maybe in TI everyone would be first/highest reward tier with 10M but then they deserve it)
  • Options
    This affects less than 1% of the player base... Highly doubt it's on the devs priority list.
  • Options
    Darthbinks wrote: »
    This affects less than 1% of the player base... Highly doubt it's on the devs priority list.

In many guilds half of the players are registering only a 0 because the raid is so easy that 1) their damage is not needed 2) it is impossible to keep alive the rancor for more than a few hours
    That is also a tie, and it sucks that you are always the last of the 0s because you got a player id of ztxwxzr....
    So it's not only 1% of players affected
  • Options
    such sad story, lets pray for poor guys.
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    In any sport, first to cross the finish line is the winner, even in Special Olympics.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    Maraxus wrote: »
    We had a couple Solo Rancor today and "m" got #1 while "i" got #2. So not sure it's alphabetical. But I don't know what determines either, it would be good to know.

It's the player ID not the player name

Whilst I 100% agree with this post about changing how raid ranking is determined, are you absolutely sure it is player ID that determines the rank?

We tested the theory in our guild. The player who always ranks last had a player ID beginning with 'v'. The first person we checked who was ranked above him had a player ID beginning with 'W'. We stopped checking at this point.

Does case have anything to do with it also?
  • Options
    We had a couple Solo Rancor today and "m" got #1 while "i" got #2. So not sure it's alphabetical. But I don't know what determines either, it would be good to know.

It's the player ID not the player name

Whilst I 100% agree with this post about changing how raid ranking is determined, are you absolutely sure it is player ID that determines the rank?

We tested the theory in our guild. The player who always ranks last had a player ID beginning with 'v'. The first person we checked who was ranked above him had a player ID beginning with 'W'. We stopped checking at this point.

Does case have anything to do with it also?

It is sorted by ASCII character code. Capital letters have a lower numerical value than lower case ones in ASCII.

http://www.asciitable.com/
  • Options
    All our first world problems aside - it should always be by speed. If need be put it out to the fourth decimal place to ensure there is no possible tying and it'll always be by fastest person.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    All our first world problems aside - it should always be by speed. If need be put it out to the fourth decimal place to ensure there is no possible tying and it'll always be by fastest person.

That doesn't work when you pre open a raid to let people register 0 damage attempts
  • Options
    Just make it so that if you solo the raid you can never do it again. The game locks you out of it for life. Or the devs could just create a T8 rancor raid like I have always suggested which would be harder and have better rewards. Make T8 have 6 phases. Make it so no one can solo it. 5 and 6 phase could be against jaba the hut. Make it better.
  • Options
    Lol this is most definitely a first world problem
  • AndyCola
    20 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    we have similar problem in our guild (not all but some people can make solo). no sense please fix it in some way
  • GigiMaletti
    3 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Darthbinks wrote: »

If this 1% are the top spending players, it should be in their priority list
  • Options
    If raids are a thing for players to cooperate, lifetime donations should be the tie breaker. Players are ranked by who donated more.
  • jackTHErandom
    1195 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    danrussoa wrote: »
    danrussoa wrote: »
    When guild hopping, doing this or that with things, etc are the norm, it should be expected to have to deal with things when you advance in the game faster than intended.

Go back to your cave ;)

Point was valid, despite your winky reply. When corporate guilds, like yours, push the envelope to completely max out everything as fast as possible, it is illogical to then complain about the game not progressing fast enough to compensate for this. I don't believe the devs planned on an entire guild maxxing a raid.

I know im late to this here, but the point is NOT valid at all...
    If, for example, 10 people only post 0's for a raid, they are also ranked by ID

Meaning: if always the same 10 ppl log 0's the last 10 spots will always be the same... Player with ID starting with "1" gets place 40 whild the player with ID starting with "Z" will always be ranked 50

And it affects quite a lot of the playerbase...
    My former guild used to split the rancor into 2 rotating teams, 1 team posting 0's only, the other team killing it. Reason was to "slingshot" weaker players into better rewards. The 0's were always ranked the same, which is plainly unfair
  • Options
    even a poor coin toss (like when 2+ chars hit 100% tm through tm-gain abilities) would be better than the current "order by damage desc, player_id"-waste. (IMO first come, first serve still should do it for both ... rankings + getting turn) ...
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Options
    Achilles wrote: »
    even a poor coin toss (like when 2+ chars hit 100% tm through tm-gain abilities) would be better than the current "order by damage desc, player_id"-waste. (IMO first come, first serve still should do it for both ... rankings + getting turn) ...

Sounds like a plan
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The problem is real. I crossed the finish line 2nd, but got 3rd. :'(

IMG_9601.png
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    With all of the RNG in this game, how is this NOT randomly determined? They're just trolling us.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    With all of the RNG in this game, how is this NOT randomly determined? They're just trolling us.

Sadly, it's not randomly determined. And thankfully, you're just being humorous. ;)
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

IMG_9601.png

This right here should be solved like guild activities. Same score all get #1, next in line of damage gets numeric position #4. To make this work too all 0s get reward for 50. Done.
  • Options

IMG_9601.png

This right here should be solved like guild activities. Same score all get #1, next in line of damage gets numeric position #4. To make this work too all 0s get reward for 50. Done.

This
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Sadly, it's not randomly determined. And thankfully, you're just being humorous. ;)

You could say it's the ultimate RNG. You were randomly assigned a code when you joined, which influences your future rewards. Forever. They are trolling us!

And for people who say it is only a problem affecting the top 1% - that's incorrect. It affects people who post zero on a raid. A lot of guilds use this tactic, which will only increase as more guilds regularly defeat the rancor (and other raids)
  • Options
    +1