Why do we hate Rebels so much(TV show)

Replies

• Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Why is there this perception that "dark" is synonymous with good? Just because something is lighthearted, adventurous, and fun doesn't meant that its bad.

Ex. New Hope was far better than either Rogue One or ROTS and it didn't need grim on screen deaths or depressing imagery to be better.

The Empire Strikes back was the darkest movie and sort of the climax of the original trilogy, but considered the best out of the three, and the same goes for revenge of the sith in the prequels if you don't count rogue one
  • Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »
    Why is there this perception that "dark" is synonymous with good? Just because something is lighthearted, adventurous, and fun doesn't meant that its bad.

Ex. New Hope was far better than either Rogue One or ROTS and it didn't need grim on screen deaths or depressing imagery to be better.

The Empire Strikes back was the darkest movie and sort of the climax of the original trilogy, but considered the best out of the three, and the same goes for revenge of the sith in the prequels if you don't count rogue one

Empire Strikes Back was certainly the best of the OT but for a lot more reasons than "it was dark".
    Fodder1978 wrote: »

Pathos, old chap. Pathos... besides, you have to feel there's genuine danger for a protagonist for it to mean much. Rogue One took this to the ultimate limit, and Disney greenlit them to do it.

Darkness shows the stakes. Otherwise you just have some cheesy caper.

Idk about you but I didn't feel any concern for Obi-Wan and Anakin (or anyone in ROTS) after they spent thirty minutes hopping and swinging around some giant CGI set piece. After stuff like that, they can survive anything. The tension and danger is gone.

In Rogue One, the writers confused "dark, realistic" characters with bland, boring, uninteresting characters. People keep saying "Oh, its actually a war movie, so the characters aren't important" but every great war movie I've ever is only effective BECAUSE of the engaging characters we care about. I challenge you to ask anyone who isn't a star wars geek (so nobody on the forums) who also saw Rogue One to describe the main characters of the movie. Even name the six main characters. They can't. Because nobody cares about them. Sure, some people might have gotten a little emotional at the end but only because the characters onscreen were saaaaad and the music was saaaaad.

Again, being "dark" does not mean that there's automatically tension. In a New Hope, when Luke and Co. are sneaking around the Death Star, theres tension. Luke, Han, Chewy, and Leia keep getting in intense situations whether its being cornered by stormtroopers, attacked by a trash monster, or crushed while Obi-Wan is eluding stormtroopers and the droids are found by other troopers. Yeah, its old enough and we've all seen it enough times that much of the tension has gone away, but we're still engaged and give a $#!t about whats happening.

• Options
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    You may hate it but I enjoy it. Not sure why none of the characters are in this game. Guessing. Some licensing issue.

I thought it was revealed/mined/hacked that they are all in the game already, just not unlocked.
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Bossk_Hogg wrote: »
    Characters are terribly cliche,

Ahh, yes. As opposed to stunning new tropes, such as "the farmboy with a great destiny", "the scoundrel", "the sassy princess" and "the wise old man", completely invented by Lucas 40 years ago!
    The first couple seasons were horribly kid friendly

Good thing we had to wait until we were in our 20's to enjoy the mature themes of Star Wars...

I really think if you hate Rebels, you aren't an actual fan of the Star Wars OT. If it came out today you might give Empire a pass (so dark and edgy man!) but you'd be **** about everything else.

Some people are bitter old grumps who just want kids off their Star Wars lawn, forgetting how they were introduced to the saga.

+1

This is why everyone on the forums liked rogue one so much. Because it validated their love of a children's fantasy series and they didnt have to feel ashamed of enjoying it.

"Yeah bro! R1! Woohoo! So grimdark it's even better than Batman v Superman AND Suicide Squad combined!"
    "Yeah bro! EVERYONE dies! That's hardcore!"
    Supercat wrote: »
    You may hate it but I enjoy it. Not sure why none of the characters are in this game. Guessing. Some licensing issue.

Guessing: a lot hate them.

Your own echos are not multiple voices.

Actually it's the majority of voices. Rebels sucks just accept it.

Not according to the hater's sad little poll they put up to "prove" people hated Rebels. 2:1 in favor of adding characters. Which they already confirmed as coming. Deal with it manbabies. The kids are on your Star Wars lawn, and have been since 77.
  • Options
    According to this poll(small sample size) 28% of people never want rebels and 12% don't care about them.

28% is pretty bad for hater margin.

I encourage you to vote and prove me wrong.

I would be interested in the % who voted just for thrawn, Ahsoka, or maul.
    (Because then they are voting for old chars they like)

So, your side lost the popular vote and you're trying to claim numbers don't matter? 2:1 against you. Flail harder, it's funny.
  • Options

Empire Strikes Back was certainly the best of the OT but for a lot more reasons than "it was dark".

I mean, there would be a pattern if it wasn't for Rogue One, you're right though
    Also have you seen the reviews made by Plinkett of the star wars prequels by chance?
  • Options

I mean, there would be a pattern if it wasn't for Rogue One, you're right though
    Also have you seen the reviews made by Plinkett of the star wars prequels by chance?
    Uhhhh... of course? Those videos were responsible for me becoming the star wars geek i am today
  • Options

Pathos, old chap. Pathos... besides, you have to feel there's genuine danger for a protagonist for it to mean much. Rogue One took this to the ultimate limit, and Disney greenlit them to do it.

Idk about you but I didn't feel any concern for Obi-Wan and Anakin (or anyone in ROTS) after they spent thirty minutes hopping and swinging around some giant CGI set piece. After stuff like that, they can survive anything. The tension and danger is gone.

In Rogue One, the writers confused "dark, realistic" characters with bland, boring, uninteresting characters. People keep saying "Oh, its actually a war movie, so the characters aren't important" but every great war movie I've ever is only effective BECAUSE of the engaging characters we care about. I challenge you to ask anyone who isn't a star wars geek (so nobody on the forums) who also saw Rogue One to describe the main characters of the movie. Even name the six main characters. They can't. Because nobody cares about them. Sure, some people might have gotten a little emotional at the end but only because the characters onscreen were saaaaad and the music was saaaaad.

Again, being "dark" does not mean that there's automatically tension. In a New Hope, when Luke and Co. are sneaking around the Death Star, theres tension. Luke, Han, Chewy, and Leia keep getting in intense situations whether its being cornered by stormtroopers, attacked by a trash monster, or crushed while Obi-Wan is eluding stormtroopers and the droids are found by other troopers. Yeah, its old enough and we've all seen it enough times that much of the tension has gone away, but we're still engaged and give a $#!t about whats happening.

Agreed that just saying "it's darker" or "it was dark, this is too light-hearted" doesn't really say much about how good something is, but I think that it can't be all one way. My main problem with the Rebels TV series isn't that "it's not dark" its that there isn't really anything accomplished most of the time and that theres almost no consequences for anything. Everything ends up just fine all the time, which yes, makes it less dark, but the problem isn't that its not dark enough it's the fact that nothing bad CAN happen. Theres really only one time where some bad truly happens and thats with Ahsoka vs Vader at the end of season 2 and the ending is left ambiguous for Ahsoka. That's a nice touch because it actually makes you worry for the characters, and you get attached. It's harder to make attachments because these characters are put into seemingly uncomfortable situations, but everything always works out perfectly. It doesn't need to be darker, it just needs to have balance between whats happening and what got them into the situation.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

Agreed that just saying "it's darker" or "it was dark, this is too light-hearted" doesn't really say much about how good something is, but I think that it can't be all one way. My main problem with the Rebels TV series isn't that "it's not dark" its that there isn't really anything accomplished most of the time and that theres almost no consequences for anything. Everything ends up just fine all the time, which yes, makes it less dark, but the problem isn't that its not dark enough it's the fact that nothing bad CAN happen. Theres really only one time where some bad truly happens and thats with Ahsoka vs Vader at the end of season 2 and the ending is left ambiguous for Ahsoka. That's a nice touch because it actually makes you worry for the characters, and you get attached. It's harder to make attachments because these characters are put into seemingly uncomfortable situations, but everything always works out perfectly. It doesn't need to be darker, it just needs to have balance between whats happening and what got them into the situation.
    See, thats a real criticism. Give examples and dont rely on some blanket term that doesnt mean anything. I agree with you to an extent, but i think the general consensus is that season 3 is fixing that. (Most recent episode was my favorite so far)
  • Options
    According to this poll(small sample size) 28% of people never want rebels and 12% don't care about them.

28% is pretty bad for hater margin.

I encourage you to vote and prove me wrong.

I would be interested in the % who voted just for thrawn, Ahsoka, or maul.
    (Because then they are voting for old chars they like)

So, your side lost the popular vote and you're trying to claim numbers don't matter? 2:1 against you. Flail harder, it's funny.

I was just pointing out that 28% hate is a lot higher than normal.

Also, I do understand that more people might like it then not. Have I ever in all my arguments said that the majority disliked? I was just trying to prove my point. Plus, debating is fun.

I'll just agree to disagree.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options

See, thats a real criticism. Give examples and dont rely on some blanket term that doesnt mean anything. I agree with you to an extent, but i think the general consensus is that season 3 is fixing that. (Most recent episode was my favorite so far)

Yeah, I haven't seen the most recent episode (or possibly the last 2), but season 3 is looking better. I think they lacked depth in the villains in the first couple of seasons, and now with some real competition and a few twists things are heading down a better track. First season it was just "oh no inquisitor flashy lightsaber better run" now theres actually some methods behind the tracking of the ghost crew and they have to actually think about what they're doing.
  • Options

Yeah, I haven't seen the most recent episode (or possibly the last 2), but season 3 is looking better. I think they lacked depth in the villains in the first couple of seasons, and now with some real competition and a few twists things are heading down a better track. First season it was just "oh no inquisitor flashy lightsaber better run" now theres actually some methods behind the tracking of the ghost crew and they have to actually think about what they're doing.

I didnt really see what the big deal was about thrawn until the recent episode. Lets just say every episode isnt going to be as hunky dory as they've been
  • Options
    Agree that the first season was weak, but season 2 and 3 are great. I felt that the season 2 finale was as engrossing as Star Wars gets - even accounting for the helisabers!
  • Options
    Wait til the new movie and we find out Ezra is a knight of Ren(Benicia Del Toro) and is Reys father and Sabine is her mother,who in turn has Kenobi lineage in her genes from her mom being the daughter of Kenobi and Satine..this would make all your Star Wars Rebel dreams come true.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    jjkriv wrote: »
    Wait til the new movie and we find out Ezra is a knight of Ren(Benicia Del Toro) and is Reys father and Sabine is her mother,who in turn has Kenobi lineage in her genes from her mom being the daughter of Kenobi and Satine..this would make all your Star Wars Rebel dreams come true.
    Obi wan was never "with" satine. They had feelings for each other but never acted on them. Thats part of what made him such a great jedi.
  • Options
    Rebels is bad cuz most of the original characters are dumb and the only good ones they had are dead or inspired by some thing else.

Ezra: basically just a young stupid version of prequel anakin

Kanin: stole the whole blind thing from general koda (I think that's his name) in the force unleashed

Sabine: stereotypical rebellious teenager who dies their hair and doesn't listen to their parents

Zeb: crappy chewbacca/ groot/ bt from titanfall/ iron giant. Plus in like the first episode he tries to kill Ezra for no reason, who was like 12

That one twi lek person: hardcore daughter of some military guy or something

The grand inquisitor: kinda cool but he died :(

Kallus: cool I guess as a double agent but is really dumb acting sometimes.

Thrawn: awesome cuz he's not disneys idea

Pryce: basically the Russian lady in Indiana jones 4

The others inquisitors: cool in design but they're dead and their helicopter light sabers were dumber than jar jar the Christmas special and 9 year old anakin combined

All in all, rebels is just bad, and the characters are either unoriginal cliches, used/inspired from other Star Wars stuff, just plain bad, or dead for some reason.
  • Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    Rebels is bad cuz most of the original characters are dumb and the only good ones they had are dead or inspired by some thing else.

Ezra: basically just a young **** version of prequel anakin

Kanin: stole the whole blind thing from general koda (I think that's his name) in the force unleashed

Sabine: stereotypical rebellious teenager who dies their hair and doesn't listen to their parents

Zeb: **** chewbacca/ groot/ bt from titanfall/ iron giant. Plus in like the first episode he tries to kill Ezra for no reason, who was like 12

The others inquisitors: cool in design but they're dead and their helicopter light sabers were dumber than jar jar the Christmas special and 9 year old anakin combined

All in all, rebels is just bad, and the characters are either unoriginal cliches, used/inspired from other Star Wars stuff, just plain bad, or dead for some reason.

This
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    Georgemi6 wrote: »

Ezra: basically just a young **** version of prequel anakin

Zeb: **** chewbacca/ groot/ bt from titanfall/ iron giant. Plus in like the first episode he tries to kill Ezra for no reason, who was like 12

This

Thank you
  • Options
    Ha. Chopper is being added. Sorry for you Rebels haters :wink:
  • Options
    swih.gif
  • Options
    Mwahahahaha! Rebels is good and now they're going to start adding several more! (Choppers abilities imply so) Phoenix squad! So very glad about this!
  • Options
    I've lost all faith in humanity...
  • Options
    hnewton wrote: »

That's why I've already decided Rebels or any Disney, is not cannon in my books.

Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

That's why I've already decided Rebels or any Disney, is not cannon in my books.

lol, the salt is real
  • Options

You sound like the people who try to pretend the prequels aren't part of the canon just cause they don't like them (Aka the most annoying of all star wars fans)
  • Options

[/quote]
    It's bad.

Other points:
    1. Why does Sabine, an unaccomplished, fail "mandolorian" get the DarkSaber (which maul had)?
    2. Why do they always win?
    3. Why are the empire dumb?
    4. Why does Ahsoka fight for the rebels even though she said she has no side??????????????
    5. Why did they canonize clone mindchips?
    6. Why was trash in rogue one?
    7. When will Disney get an original idea?
    8. When will Sith Lord Jar Jar actually be used (much better than what they currently do)
    9. A lightSABER cannot fire BLASTER bolts.
    10. KANAN isn't a JEDI, he is a PADAWAN.
    [/quote]

The thing I am going to mention is about 9. You can modify it like Ezra did to fire blasters or in his case more sun shots. I see this being viable than not.

For 5 I do hate this had happened especially since I read the Republic Commando Novels. I understand the change, however hate it as well. I prefer the Republic Commando Novel explanation, since they were provided with multiple emergency orders, than just order 66.

• Options
    My kid started watching the Clone Wars Series and my wife and I were hooked right in as well. Then this Rebels c**p came out and, maybe it gets better, but we watched two episodes and were done.

Clone wars had a certain je ne sais quoi that could appeal to just about anyone, Disney's Rebels is just fluffy.

It gets alot better as it develops into the series. Its definitely worth the time. There really are some great epic moments in there, without trying to give too much away, such as the first major interaction with Darth Vader. They got that scene perfect.
  • Options
    lol... Seems like a lot want rebels characters anyway :D

But its a good sign! Maybe we are gonna get thrawn at some point!

- And flying lighsabers you all like so much!
  • Options
    Characters are terribly cliche,

Ahh, yes. As opposed to stunning new tropes, such as "the farmboy with a great destiny", "the scoundrel", "the sassy princess" and "the wise old man", completely invented by Lucas 40 years ago!
    The first couple seasons were horribly kid friendly

Good thing we had to wait until we were in our 20's to enjoy the mature themes of Star Wars...

I really think if you hate Rebels, you aren't an actual fan of the Star Wars OT. If it came out today you might give Empire a pass (so dark and edgy man!) but you'd be **** about everything else.

Some people are bitter old grumps who just want kids off their Star Wars lawn, forgetting how they were introduced to the saga.

OT had good execution. It didnt have crap animation and extreme levels of charmless camp like Ezra's whole character most of the show.
  • Options
    I enjoy it for what it is; pretty child-friendly (it's my 7 year old son's favourite non-Lego Star Wars) and easy watching. He didn't engage as much with The Clone Wars, and I'm happy to sit and watch this with him. Season 1 was a bit naff; it warmed up in S2 and I'm quite enjoying S3 (Thrawn!!). It's a fun take-it-or-leave-it kind of show, I think.