GG META Report Update - Highest Single Team Usage % on gg Ever?

Replies

• Options
    Waez wrote: »
    I can't help but thinking about the balance team that's currently monitoring Arena.

They are literally witnessing teams made up of totally unrelated characters that should NOT have synergy together wreck everything, while most actual synergy-oriented factions (FO, Imperial Troopers, Clones, Ewoks, Resistance, Bounty Hunter, Jawas, Nightsisters, Phoenix) are burning in the depths of the sub-rank 200 hell.

And they are sitting there, sipping tea, repeating "This is fine." to themselves.

They want to fix it, but the only way they know how is to introduce more absurdly overpowered characters to counter the current ones. But then the new characters just get thrown into teams with all the old overpowered characters, and all that happens is one slot in the Triple-cleanse is replaced.
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    Options
    I can't help but thinking about the balance team that's currently monitoring Arena.

They are literally witnessing teams made up of totally unrelated characters that should NOT have synergy together wreck everything, while most actual synergy-oriented factions (FO, Imperial Troopers, Clones, Ewoks, Resistance, Bounty Hunter, Jawas, Nightsisters, Phoenix) are burning in the depths of the sub-rank 200 hell.

And they are sitting there, sipping tea, repeating "This is fine." to themselves.

They want to fix it, but the only way they know how is to introduce more absurdly overpowered characters to counter the current ones. But then the new characters just get thrown into teams with all the old overpowered characters, and all that happens is one slot in the Triple-cleanse is replaced.

It can all be fixed if they nerf Rex's leader ability to only clones, or bare minimum galactic republic only
  • Waez
    286 posts Member
    Options

It's almost like the fact that they refuse to nerf characters is terrible from a game design and health standpoint, and create an unhealthy PvP experience crippled by power creep and teams that are unsatisfying to play either with or against.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    STRIKEBOMB wrote: »

It can all be fixed if they nerf Rex's leader ability to only clones, or bare minimum galactic republic only

So that zMaul can make a comeback? I don't mind either way. I'm just saying that this decision sounds biased.
  • Options
    They could do several things if they really want to break the current meta, which I doubt:
    1. Aply the R2 model ( cleansing only LS toons) to the DS toons.
    2. Make empire as easy to farm as rebels ( shore on a DS node, Krennic in fleet like Chirrut etc.)
    3. Not nerf but make some OP abilities to require zeta, like in any other factions (Wedge leader ability, Biggs tripleshoot, Chirrut aplying either heal or Ten Up etc.)
    I'm sure there are plenty others, but like I said, they must want a change.
  • Options

Those characters have a lot of synergies but they're based around abilities, not factions. Kenobi is the only character in the game that has aoe retribution for the team. This synergizes well with nihilus because retribution allows him to dispel more, which lowers the cooldown on his aoe and then allows him to get to annihilate faster. The issue though, is that kenobi also has an enormous health pool and protects the team with auto taunt, crit immunity, and cleanse which makes him a no brainer to fit into most teams.

R2 synergizes well with nihilus by protecting him with stealth. In addition, R2 is very fast, has a very good health pool, is one of the best stunners in the game, has an aoe debuff that neutered evasion based teams, and has two zeta uniques that synergizes very well with Rex, kenobi, and Chaze

Thrawn has a cleanse and tm manipulation that can speed up your nihilus. He also has the ability to shut down the strongest character on the other team with fracture and he has a very large health pool and very good speed

I'm not going to talk about chaze because they've been talked about endlessly for the past few months...

The problem is that there's great synergy between these toons, they do so many others things well, and they have no downside to their base stats. This makes it a no brainer to include these toons in your lineup.

This game is like baking a cake. I can go to store and buy a pre-packaged cake mix (i.e. use a faction team like first order or resistance) or I can gather all the ingredients together and build one from scratch. Using a pre-packaged cake mix will give me something that's reliable, but it won't give me the best. Building a cake from scratch will give you the best cake if you have the best ingredients, you know what those are, and you know how to use them properly. The problem with the current state of the game, is that we all know what the best ingredients are (chaze, kenobi, thrawn, nihilus, R2), and they all have kits that are so good that they synergize really well together. You don't need to be a master chef to build the best cake; you just need to have access to those ingredients. It really hurts team-building strategy in this game to have 6 or so characters that are this much better than the other 100 in the game
  • Options
    There is no empire surge as they are worse than the rex team - nothing to do with farmability - most who tried them have since dropped them
  • Options
    ExarTheKun wrote: »

So that zMaul can make a comeback? I don't mind either way. I'm just saying that this decision sounds biased.

If they deleted Rex from the game he wouldn't come back. Thrawn leads are tough for Maul and you can go with a GK lead, DN, Chaze, and R2 squad and own Maul. Jedi with R2 / GK would own Maul attacking.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Dundadarr wrote: »
    There is no empire surge as they are worse than the rex team - nothing to do with farmability - most who tried them have since dropped them

At a minimum they are equal - I'm using a full DS team and have faced all the Rex variants - all the same. Fracture DN and the build is garbage. Problem is many built Empire teams but didn't fully invest in them. The zeta on Thrawn's lead is amazing with Shore, especially if Shore is very fast. Constant taunts / heals / CD immunity buffs - I also use zeta Veers as well ... how many have zeta'd Veers and Thrawn's lead though? Along with Thrawn's unique?

I think the main reason there's no surge is the investment requirement needed to get over the hump - additionally you need good mods even on top of that. Chaze / Rex / R2 / DN / GK teams really don't need good mods though and their zeta requirements are also very low. Lastly, they still work so there's really no compelling reason to do all that work.
  • Options

If they wanted to fix it they could easily do it. Simply introduce characters with mechanics that counteract the meta, but aren't overpowered in the a sense of those characters.

The example I like to use is introducing a character that gains TM when opponents gain TM. Picture a B2 that instead of having a chance to gain100% TM when an ally is damage, he gains it when an opponent gains TM. And instead of buff immunity on his AOE he inflicts Daze. That character could absolutely destroy a Rex lead. Or an empire team (lots of TM gain with Thrawn and ST). TM gain is a huge part of the meta, as there is little counter currently. But he would be pathetic against teams that don't use TM gain. Jedi for example. So putting him it can help you beat a specific team. But leaving him on defense could be a liability.
  • Options

If they deleted Rex from the game he wouldn't come back. Thrawn leads are tough for Maul and you can go with a GK lead, DN, Chaze, and R2 squad and own Maul. Jedi with R2 / GK would own Maul attacking.

Funny you should say that. I have a pretty good Empire squad but can still lose on offense to a zMaul lead in my shard.

Protection regen does no good when SA can just ignore protection and smite someone with health down.

Be glad Maul is dead on your shard.
  • Options

Funny you should say that. I have a pretty good Empire squad but can still lose on offense to a zMaul lead in my shard.

Protection regen does no good when SA can just ignore protection and smite someone with health down.

Your Shore trooper not working?
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options

This made me laugh.

Thrawn lead should be able to handle zMaul quite easily on offense. It may be a squad/mod issue rather than just maul vs thrawn.
  • Options
    Rex lead skill should be light side only.
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nebulous wrote: »

This made me laugh.

Thrawn lead should be able to handle zMaul quite easily on offense. It may be a squad/mod issue rather than just maul vs thrawn.

I would love some feedback on my squad/mods.

https://swgoh.gg/u/gaidal cain/

It does take some pretty bad RNG to lose on offense against zMaul squad (only one in my shard that I lose to). But it does happen, and one night it happened three times in a row.

DN lead is actually more dangerous for me though because Shore's crit immunity does me no good.

There are two DN lead teams that have SA's faster than my Thrawn so they can get the jump on me.

On the flip side, the Rex Lead, R2, Thrawn, DN, GK teams that are popping up are pretty simple to beat but several of the zMaul and zQGJ teams literally cannot beat them.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Depressing that the meta is still mostly mish-mash teams of overpowered characters over faction synergy teams. I understand why they don't nerf, but for the health of the game they should in my opinion. People that farmed chaze for example will be upset, but they will get over it, and it will make the game better for the future. Rexx lead also needs a nerf in my opinion. Rexx's leader should be changed to only clones so we don't keep getting these mish-mash teams of every overpowered character light or dark shoved under him. Tenacity up being group wide from Rex, and Chirrut is very overpowered as well. This helps cripple dark side teams too much since they rely heavily on debuffs, and the options for mass dispell are limited, and the characters don't have other overpowered uses like Chirrut, and Rex do. Nihilis needs to stop being used so much in light lead teams. Dark side needs him to help counter Chaze, and Kenobi, but under lightside teams he is too much. Dark side have trouble getting his annihilate off first because of tenacity up that light side teams have so much of.
  • Options
    Mzee wrote: »
    Depressing that the meta is still mostly mish-mash teams of overpowered characters over faction synergy teams. I understand why they don't nerf, but for the health of the game they should in my opinion. People that farmed chaze for example will be upset, but they will get over it, and it will make the game better for the future. Rexx lead also needs a nerf in my opinion. Rexx's leader should be changed to only clones so we don't keep getting these mish-mash teams of every overpowered character light or dark shoved under him. Tenacity up being group wide from Rex, and Chirrut is very overpowered as well. This helps cripple dark side teams too much since they rely heavily on debuffs, and the options for mass dispell are limited, and the characters don't have other overpowered uses like Chirrut, and Rex do. Nihilis needs to stop being used so much in light lead teams. Dark side needs him to help counter Chaze, and Kenobi, but under lightside teams he is too much. Dark side have trouble getting his annihilate off first because of tenacity up that light side teams have so much of.

I would have loved to have seen, for arena only, DN's cooldown doubled if there were any LS toons present as allies. So instead of 8 turn CD, make it 16.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options

I would have loved to have seen, for arena only, DN's cooldown doubled if there were any LS toons present as allies. So instead of 8 turn CD, make it 16.

Yeah, I was just thinking this the other day, though just increased by 1 for each light side ally, but something along those lines would be great.

• WildGrunt
    1230 posts Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I influenced 8% of the meta :D
  • Options

If they wanted to fix it they could easily do it. Simply introduce characters with mechanics that counteract the meta, but aren't overpowered in the a sense of those characters.

The example I like to use is introducing a character that gains TM when opponents gain TM. Picture a B2 that instead of having a chance to gain100% TM when an ally is damage, he gains it when an opponent gains TM. And instead of buff immunity on his AOE he inflicts Daze. That character could absolutely destroy a Rex lead. Or an empire team (lots of TM gain with Thrawn and ST). TM gain is a huge part of the meta, as there is little counter currently. But he would be pathetic against teams that don't use TM gain. Jedi for example. So putting him it can help you beat a specific team. But leaving him on defense could be a liability.

Problem is that they would release that character and they would just take someone else's spot in the triple cleanse set up.

Faction based teams are like pre-packaged cake mixes that you buy from the store, and as such they should never be better than a good team built around character abilities, because figuring out how different characters work together requires the theory-crafting that makes the game fun. The problem now, is that you have a handful of characters who are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else, so there's only a handful of ways to build that team if you want to be competitive
  • MadMalgusReturns
    670 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Why is everyone so upset about Rex leads? He's not the problem. The problem is Darth Nihilus. They introduced a character that can one shot any toon, dispel on basic, aoe increase cooldown, can hit pretty hard and has a tank health pool. Rex just allows DN to use annihilate more quickly than other leads (plus squad discipline is nice). If DN were not in this game you would not see Rex teams all over the place. They'd be about as prevalent as they were before DN, which was below 10% IIRC
  • Options
    Why is everyone so upset about Rex leads? He's not the problem. The problem is Darth Nihilus. They introduced a character that can one shot any toon, dispel on basic, aoe increase cooldown, can hit pretty hard and has a tank health pool. Rex just allows DN to use annihilate more quickly than other leads (plus squad discipline is nice). If DN were not in this game you would not see Rex teams all over the place. They'd be about as prevalent as they were before DN, which was below 10% IIRC

Which is why making Rex a light side only leader rather than a sandbox leader would drastically reduce the number of Rex leads across the board.

Nihilus needs the TM boost on a Rex team to be viable on defense.
  • Options

Which is why making Rex a light side only leader rather than a sandbox leader would drastically reduce the number of Rex leads across the board.

Or Sith assassin
  • Blackbeardpepe
    1481 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Arena will never be fun or diverse. Its the most competitive part of the game, which can give up to $5 worth of crystals each day. If you want to have long periods of fun in this game arena is not the droid you are looking for.
  • Options

This made me laugh.

It does take some pretty bad RNG to lose on offense against zMaul squad (only one in my shard that I lose to). But it does happen, and one night it happened three times in a row.

DN lead is actually more dangerous for me though because Shore's crit immunity does me no good.

There are two DN lead teams that have SA's faster than my Thrawn so they can get the jump on me.

On the flip side, the Rex Lead, R2, Thrawn, DN, GK teams that are popping up are pretty simple to beat but several of the zMaul and zQGJ teams literally cannot beat them.

He's pretty well hidden and effective in a Thrawn / Tarkin lead stacked with GK / Shore. Adjustment to Rex I don't think would have much impact on DN's usage.

I will say though, with Rex he's a dead weight as a teammate. The nice thing about these DN teams is once you fracture DN and push up his cooldowns they are very easy to defeat. There's just no punch there.
  • Options

This made me laugh.

He's pretty well hidden and effective in a Thrawn / Tarkin lead stacked with GK / Shore. Adjustment to Rex I don't think would have much impact on DN's usage.

I will say though, with Rex he's a dead weight as a teammate. The nice thing about these DN teams is once you fracture DN and push up his cooldowns they are very easy to defeat. There's just no punch there.

That's exactly what I do.
    I Fracture DN and hit full auto.
    My team is tanky enough that it is really hard for the AI to kill anyone.

Since I run Thrawn lead with full Empire, Thrawn doesn't lose Fracture until DN is dead because of all the specials being used.
  • Options
    7/30 unplanned mini bump - two notable benchmarks crossed on the report today -

1. Rex lead actually crossed 50% today and is at 51% leader usage - hadn't seen a lead go past 50% usage since I've been tracking. Expect this to creep up a bit as the Rex / GK / R2 / DN / FOST / DN team variants are just picking up steam across the general player base. The R2 version of this squad may even pass the Classic cleanse squad and is at 148 counts vs. 131.
    2. DN usage hit 80% - again, haven't seen someone hit 80% usage. GK is hot on his heels at 72%.

https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    80% usage is too much for any hero. I wonder what that figure would be if we excluded Jedi squads?

Dn brings too many good qualities and will only get better as gear levels increase (ohko doesn't care about protection/hp figures).

Gk, however, is the most versatile tank. Until we get more auto taunts, gk will take a spot in most squads and cuz he is Jedi, he is splashable in all comps.

I really love this thread for his archiving attribute.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i blame collusion =D
    people get lazy with their teams :p
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    i blame collusion =D
    people get lazy with their teams :p

Collusion lets you get more creative though... You don't have to worry as much about "how well can this team hold in the two minutes in between me killing him and my payout." As long as you can win on offense with collusion you can make a much larger variety of teams and try them out.