Poe threads combined

Replies

• Wildcats1203
    781 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    wrote:
    Poe doesn't cause a player to need more skill or strategy. At high levels, if a Poe attacks first you lose. No matter what.

I was just gonna say something like this, I just beat a guy with a Poe, first time he went 3rd after both our Sid's, I beat him, then he took his spot back so I rebattled him, first to go was Poe, by the time it was my sid's turn I had lost my lumi and the only character that wasn't in yellow hp was 5's, go figure

There's nothing wrong with f2p. I've only spent a small amount, so I still have to use f2p toons, and I hate Poe. Insulting f2p doesn't get us anywhere.
    Post edited by FashionFett on
  • Options
    Poe removes 20%, or whatever, of opposing teams turn meter on taunt. Trick is, most teams don't have any turn meter anyway at the start of a battle so it doesn't do squat the first round.

Okay, I'll own this not being totally correct.

But, I still don't feel it matters if it's a perceived as a coinflip or not.

Tonight I was destroyed by a high deeps Poe team that was defending instantly. I was wiped out in only a few turns.

But, the irony is, I adjusted a little bit and was still able to beat the team the next time even though their Poe went first and they have bigger hitters than I do (I was running, Sid, Kylo, Lumi, JC, Poe at the time and won by taking out their last three toons sans healer using only Sid and Kylo).

To be honest, if I had lost again, one of two things would have happened... I would have pushed the button hoping I went first (this is part of RNG magic, I dont' expect the privilege every fight) and tried an adjusted strategy, or, I would have put in Ventriss for that extra AoE to try to burst their Lumi down in one round on their PoE taunt. I find if I can get Lumi dead, I can win almost any fight. Poe or no Poe.

I like Poe as an opponent. I don't know what else to say. He brings a challenge that, frankly, does not exist in Arena given the AI and everything. It's basically a guaranteed win against a generally equally geared opponent without Poe in the mix. In any balanced battle things become far more about luck than anything else, tbh. My D20 taught me that. This is the basis for my argument that it doesn't matter if there is a Poe or not. He's just a cog in a much bigger machine. Damage is insane in Arena right now and RNG luck is a huge deciding factor... More than anything else. If it's not getting to go first, it's whether your big hitters crit or not or whether your ability block sticks, or your no heal sticks or whatever. It's all luck. You can help your luck with strong strategy, but either way you will always be flipping coins.

• Options
    What if they switched Poe's text to "all allies gain 25% turn meter"? It would essentially be the same move, but opposing toons with 143+ speed could win the rng to go before all 5 of the enemy players.
  • Options
    @l3end3r

That's exactly what Phasma does now, might be a solution :)
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    Up until a week ago, I finished in the top 10 in arena for 3 weeks running and it was great being competitive on a decent server, then the revPoelution happened and I quickly dropped down the rankings and wasn't even able to make it into the top 10. Until yesterday that is, when I finally got my own Poe to 4* and unleashed him alongside my droid team bringing me 9th position yesterday and 6th position today, beating many of the Poe reliant teams I was previously unable to beat in the process. Now this isn't a bragging post, it's more of an "even though I now use him I admit that Poe is way OP so if they nerf him I have no issues with that" post. It's quite annoying that I had to put my arena team plans on hold in order to devote most of my resources to Poe. It's basically a Poedown in arena for the top 30 positions, so here's hoping that they nerf him even though he has helped me make the top 10 again.
  • Options
    l3end3r wrote: »
    What if they switched Poe's text to "all allies gain 25% turn meter"? It would essentially be the same move, but opposing toons with 143+ speed could win the rng to go before all 5 of the enemy players.

That would be useless since so many toons are turn 1 they wouldn't gain anything
  • Job
    49 posts Member
    Options
    I personally like the fact that there are characters that can compete with the standard sith/phasma teams. I know people complain about certain ones one shoting but it gives you the chance of making a aoe team or single target team. There should be toons that can do powerful single target damage and people should have to play against them or we would all just build up our sids and phasmas and never try anything else.
    I know some people won't like this but I don't mind a hard battle and I prefer single target damage over aoe damage. All characters should be be able to compete at top levels and losing sometimes is part of the game.
  • Job
    49 posts Member
    Options
    I agree. I have won and lost against these teams and I don't use them.
  • Options
    Poe removes 20%, or whatever, of opposing teams turn meter on taunt. Trick is, most teams don't have any turn meter anyway at the start of a battle so it doesn't do squat the first round.

Tonight I was destroyed by a high deeps Poe team that was defending instantly. I was wiped out in only a few turns.

But, the irony is, I adjusted a little bit and was still able to beat the team the next time even though their Poe went first and they have bigger hitters than I do (I was running, Sid, Kylo, Lumi, JC, Poe at the time and won by taking out their last three toons sans healer using only Sid and Kylo).

To be honest, if I had lost again, one of two things would have happened... I would have pushed the button hoping I went first (this is part of RNG magic, I dont' expect the privilege every fight) and tried an adjusted strategy, or, I would have put in Ventriss for that extra AoE to try to burst their Lumi down in one round on their PoE taunt. I find if I can get Lumi dead, I can win almost any fight. Poe or no Poe.

I like Poe as an opponent. I don't know what else to say. He brings a challenge that, frankly, does not exist in Arena given the AI and everything. It's basically a guaranteed win against a generally equally geared opponent without Poe in the mix. In any balanced battle things become far more about luck than anything else, tbh. My D20 taught me that. This is the basis for my argument that it doesn't matter if there is a Poe or not. He's just a cog in a much bigger machine. Damage is insane in Arena right now and RNG luck is a huge deciding factor... More than anything else. If it's not getting to go first, it's whether your big hitters crit or not or whether your ability block sticks, or your no heal sticks or whatever. It's all luck. You can help your luck with strong strategy, but either way you will always be flipping coins.

Your "I just changed up my strat" would be relevant if you'd not used Poe to do it. Without Poe as part of the meta, and making no other changes, there are more (proportionally less relevant) coin flips going on, instead of just "welp, my Poe went last, looks like I lose", or "welp, that team has a 7* Poe and mine doesn't, guess I can try to win with just 2 low-health characters now".
  • Options

Your "I just changed up my strat" would be relevant if you'd not used Poe to do it. Without Poe as part of the meta, and making no other changes, there are more (proportionally less relevant) coin flips going on, instead of just "welp, my Poe went last, looks like I lose", or "welp, that team has a 7* Poe and mine doesn't, guess I can try to win with just 2 low-health characters now".

Exactly. Poe is required in the current meta, and no character should be on 100% of teams.
  • Options
    Job wrote: »
    I personally like the fact that there are characters that can compete with the standard sith/phasma teams. I know people complain about certain ones one shoting but it gives you the chance of making a aoe team or single target team. There should be toons that can do powerful single target damage and people should have to play against them or we would all just build up our sids and phasmas and never try anything else.
    I know some people won't like this but I don't mind a hard battle and I prefer single target damage over aoe damage. All characters should be be able to compete at top levels and losing sometimes is part of the game.

Gl with your aoe when it's your turn and 3 toons are dead. Mirror match today, my Poe didnt taunt first which resulted in the image shown by @d3gauss. There is no way of explaining till you experienced it yourself, might as well talk to a wall in here. People really have no idea..
  • Options
    CronozNL wrote: »

Gl with your aoe when it's your turn and 3 toons are dead. Mirror match today, my Poe didnt taunt first which resulted in the image shown by @d3gauss. There is no way of explaining till you experienced it yourself, might as well talk to a wall in here. People really have no idea..

I agree. If people had truly fought Poe/FOTP/QGJ/GS line ups I just can't imagine that they would be arguing against nerfs.
  • Options

That's the problem. Not all characters can compete.
  • Options

I fought against a real Poe team today for the first time. Apparently all the previous encounters I've had have been with undeveloped teams containing a Poe.

I say fought with air quotes. I received zero turns. My entire team was dead before one turn was granted to me. Poe hit expose on every character including 7* max Gear Lumi followed by 2 ages from other characters. ..

I take back everything I said before. Poe is broken and needs to be balanced. Unless of course they want the game to a slick looking coin flip app.
  • Options
    I agree that until you fight a Poe that is end game you won't understand. Simple Solution is to reduce his speed. Still a good character and forces people to target him early like Sid a month ago
  • Ilza
    67 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    murton09 wrote: »

I fought against a real Poe team today for the first time. Apparently all the previous encounters I've had have been with undeveloped teams containing a Poe.

I say fought with air quotes. I received zero turns. My entire team was dead before one turn was granted to me. Poe hit expose on every character including 7* max Gear Lumi followed by 2 ages from other characters. ..

I take back everything I said before. Poe is broken and needs to be balanced. Unless of course they want the game to a slick looking coin flip app.

I think this hits pretty close to the mark. Poe is definitely not busted in all compositions and at all gear/level-ranges, but as we (and not just the true whales) are getting close to lvl 70 and have gotten our arenateams better tuned for the current patch more and more players are finding out how abusive the top teamcompositions are right now.

To be frank I see several posters in here that, considering their teamcompositions in arena, are on shards that had recently (or not at all) hit lvl 60 when the levelcap was lifted. Considering how long it takes to farm characters to high starcount and gearlevel in this game they will not really see how these top compositions work for a while yet and cannot give valid input in a discussion like this.

And as has been said by multiple posters in this thread:
    While the larger problem with the current arena is not Poe in himself, as long as the damage is as high as it is currently compared to defensive stats then reducing turnmeter for the entire enemy team at very high speed should not be allowed. It's certainly possible to do other balancing instead of fixing just this issue, but then we are talking about a major undertaking that needs a very long time in testing.
  • Options
    Every time somebody asks for a nerf on one of these two, they get criticized for not having strategy or being a bad player, yet nobody ever offers any specifics on how to counter them.

I beat Poe by using Mace Windu's debuff so I can target toons in my order of preference.

I beat FOTP by targeting him first and with Luke Skywalker on my team. I can usually off him before he strikes.

However, I've never faced a higher than 5* of Poe or FOTP against my then 4* Luke and Mace.
  • Options
    LunaMaat wrote: »
    Every time somebody asks for a nerf on one of these two, they get criticized for not having strategy or being a bad player, yet nobody ever offers any specifics on how to counter them.

I beat Poe by using Mace Windu's debuff so I can target toons in my order of preference.

I beat FOTP by targeting him first and with Luke Skywalker on my team. I can usually off him before he strikes.

However, I've never faced a higher than 5* of Poe or FOTP against my then 4* Luke and Mace.

So you have 0% experience as to what this thread is actually talking about.
  • Options
    d3gauss wrote: »
    tmp_11811_Screenshot_2016_01_28_18_11_51_2015550.jpg

Yay is my turn!

Lol this matches my post about 100 messages earlier. Happens to me all the time. Should the Turn-based and Strategy words be removed from the game description?

Shameful "balance"!

• Options

Those not seeing this, you will face this. This is the first note of an non-believer DEFEATED before any of his chars took a turn.

Turn-based my muscles in the back! A new gaming more? Zero-turn turn-based strategy game? O Poe-based Casino game?
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    Would making Poes turn meter reduction only land 'x' percentage of the time per enemy toon fix the issue (50-75%)?
  • Options
    LunaMaat wrote: »

You don't see the problem. You haven't experienced. If you have time to "debuff" Poe, you certainly should wait a few more weeks until tou don't get ANY turn before tour team is all dead.

There is NO debuffing to be done after enemy takes 5 turns with 4 expose and 2 or even 3 assists for 7-8 hits before your first turn.

• Options

Yay is my turn!

Lol this matches my post about 100 messages earlier. Happens to me all the time. Should the Turn-based and Strategy words be removed from the game description?

Shameful "balance"!

Refresher:

image.jpg

• d3gauss
    311 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yay is my turn!

Shameful "balance"!

Refresher:

image.jpg

At least you got to do something. In mine you can see they are all at full health, I got 0 moves before that ScreenShot. In fact I say there furious for 5 seconds before I thought to take the ScreenShot, so it happened even quicker than the time shows.
  • Options

Yay is my turn!

Shameful "balance"!

Refresher:

image.jpg

At least you got to do something. In mine you can see they are all at full health, I got 0 moves before that ScreenShot. In fact I say there furious for 5 seconds before I thought to take the ScreenShot, so it happened even quicker than the time shows.

Yeah my Sid went first. I was extremely lucky to get a second turn. I also wasted 3 secs in atonishment, but wasted 2 secs to sink in what had just happened. After that I stopped any effort to upgrade fast.

Actually, been 5 days with no firum and little play. i will rush to level 70 and then park there, do the bare minimum of 7* my Poe and then getting QGJ.

Until CG balances things this game for me is now one to play 20 mins every day with occasional extra mins for mats and remaining in top 50.

• Options
    The biggest problem with mainly FOTP, Leia, and Rey (I am excluding Poe) is that they are some of the fastest toons in game and also the hardest hitting toons as well. There should be a balance of speed and damage. FOTP should not be able to attack 3-4x in a single turn. Double Tap means 2 attacks not 3 or 4.

I am fine with Rey doing strong damge but she needs to be slowed down to Darth Maul speed. As far as Leia's stealth pwnage her speed is fine, but she should only do 1 attack for the stuff she brings to the table (like Luke).

As far as Poe goes he is fine. The problem people have with Poe is that he goes first and allows the other broken toons to pwn you before you can blink. I personally prefer Han over Poe, but I don't use glass cannons...
  • Options
    Ilza wrote: »

And as has been said by multiple posters in this thread:
    While the larger problem with the current arena is not Poe in himself, as long as the damage is as high as it is currently compared to defensive stats then reducing turnmeter for the entire enemy team at very high speed should not be allowed. It's certainly possible to do other balancing instead of fixing just this issue, but then we are talking about a major undertaking that needs a very long time in testing.

The problem truly isn't Poe, correct, and people can set up a group of devastating nukers that also happen to have high speed WITHOUT Poe and still wipe out most challengers (oftentimes including Poe groups) before they take minimal (if any) damage in return. For example: a QGJ (lead), Obi-Wan, FOTP, GS, Leia group. QGJ/Leia/GS get turn-1. Prioritize Poe and any other full turn-meter foes. Ben will then get to Mind-trick before the rest of the opponents that lack turn-1 capability. Then FOTP mops up along with QGJ, Leia and GS all getting to act again before the enemy has.

Honestly, the damage multiplier for these turn-1 characters is the issue. There's no reason any of them should dish out top damage values compared to slower versions of "glass-cannon" characters (Ahsoka, Cad Bane, etc.).

And I disagree. It honestly wouldn't take much effort to alter the base modifier on (some) of their attacks. You'd simply change the number for a lower one. Whereas, altering the effects of Poe's taunt would take more effort, including having to alter the description for it.
  • Options
    I waited a few weeks before working on poe so they could decide to nerf or not to nerf and they didn't they made qgj grind able so I decided to do poe now i have a fully geared 5 * lvl70 poe and if they decide to nerf him I'll be mad. You get a poe and i get a poe i have no issue with this. All the teams are going to be the same that is this game just get used to it and stop trying to ruin characters people have worked hard on.
  • Options
    @murton09 unacceptable! Welcome to the right side of the bench :)
  • LoveLoveRice
    182 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The best way to handle Poe without Poe is just speed characters. This does require that you have RNG a little on your side.

Free to Play options-
    Count Dooku
    Darth Sidious
    Genosian Soldier
    Nute Gunray
    Hoth Rebel Scout
    Poe :(

P2W options
    Rey
    Leia

Poe does not hit that hard and if you have a few of your characters go first to take out a dps you can usually tip the fight in your favor. If they use Old Ben its even better for you since you can usually make it a 5 v 3 or 2. Also Dooku and Hoth Rebel scout can stun. This is just my 2cents, I complain about Poe just as much as the next guy, but I offer a tried and tested strategy. Problem is without POE and with the state of the current meta, a team of any of these 5 would still be brutal since they get to go first. These guys do not synergize all that well on defense and that is what makes POE nice, since he streamlines the fight.