Character Strategy: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)

Replies

• Smapty wrote: »
    Devoted Protector and If You Strike Me Down both have Zetas. Just realized this wasn't clear in the rework notes. EDITED!
    me3.gif

I'm just gonna pull this straight from another thread...

"I'm going to do some speculation here... so take it for what it's worth...

Let's say you want to run the new Luke with all his recently reworked friends...

I'm guessing that team is going to use about 10 zetas to be at its optimum (maybe 9).

So with no head start that's 5 or 6 months of farming zetas to get it fully realized? Maybe a month or two less if you got a head start somehow... and really push for it.

Think that same team is still going to be relevant in a few months once you've finally got them where you want them?

Probably not... it will be scoundrels under Jango... or Nightsisters... or Droids... or Jedi under the next incarnation of Luke... or who knows?

I guess the point is that zetas take so long to farm that by the time you build up a team it's already rendered obsolete by the new characters that have just been released..."

3 zetas on Luke, 2 on old ben, 2 on R2... how many more with "the Han's" and Leia... plus the new Hoth Leia and Han?

It's making my brain hurt :(

So far R2D2 is the only "high end" viable toon and his zetas are definitely powerful. That's 2 zetas.

So far Luke farmboy and Old ben are still quite terrible and their zetas are bad investments. Unless they improve a lot Han Solo, only Leia is really useful as a toon especially combined with Clones in raids. She can help in arena too until you get R2 or a better toon on a rebel team. That's so far 0 zetas (waiting for all reworks).

I don't mind new zetas but i don't understand why so many zetas with so few impact and on such low-mid tier toons...Zetas farming is atrocious and really not balanced nor reliable so one wants them to really change a toon, not making a terrible toon barely viable.
  • Xezee
    274 posts Member
    What about krayt dragon howl, hello?? ;)
  • If my old Ben unique and leader are max'd now, what will happen to those abilities after update? Does he lost the omega update like what I heard about ewok elder losing all omega after update?

Old Bens lead is not changing. His unique is getting a Zeta so you have to pay for that upgrade plus all levels of his new Devoted Protector special. The rest are reworks and cost the same and if they're already maxed you don't have to do anything.

Thanks. I confused about the leader and unique abilities. Lol

You're welcome. I am surprised it didn't get a re-work though.
  • Ender22 wrote: »
    He spent 20 years of his life as a rebel. He probably spent 20 years as a Jedi before that...

What?

He never stopped being a Jedi.

Time spent helping the rebellion...from the time he saw the Leia message in R2 until Vader whacks him. I don't think that was a 20 year span lol.

• If my old Ben unique and leader are max'd now, what will happen to those abilities after update? Does he lost the omega update like what I heard about ewok elder losing all omega after update?

GEd22Bw.png

The unique is getting a Zeta so there should be a Level 8 instead of Level 7 which is currently the max. There is no loss there and also the leader doesn't change either so you should be fine.

Ewok Elder and one Omega got change for the worst in the TM it provides so maybe thats what youre talking about?
  • Smapty wrote: »
    Devoted Protector and If You Strike Me Down both have Zetas. Just realized this wasn't clear in the rework notes. EDITED!
    me3.gif

I'm just gonna pull this straight from another thread...

"I'm going to do some speculation here... so take it for what it's worth...

Let's say you want to run the new Luke with all his recently reworked friends...

I'm guessing that team is going to use about 10 zetas to be at its optimum (maybe 9).

So with no head start that's 5 or 6 months of farming zetas to get it fully realized? Maybe a month or two less if you got a head start somehow... and really push for it.

Think that same team is still going to be relevant in a few months once you've finally got them where you want them?

Probably not... it will be scoundrels under Jango... or Nightsisters... or Droids... or Jedi under the next incarnation of Luke... or who knows?

I guess the point is that zetas take so long to farm that by the time you build up a team it's already rendered obsolete by the new characters that have just been released..."

3 zetas on Luke, 2 on old ben, 2 on R2... how many more with "the Han's" and Leia... plus the new Hoth Leia and Han?

It's making my brain hurt :(

Yes looking at an 11 zeta team - that's insane. Putting aside the viable or not still question - boy how deflating / boring is that since you're locked in to that one team for what - 6 months? Assuming future teams also require 10+ zetas to be viable, you could be looking at 3-6 months just to farm this team and then another 4-6 months to farm the next team. So...you're looking at basically no team building progress except this 11 zeta team for 7-12 months? What???? I have to assume zetas are about to be more plentiful. There's no way.
  • Tophar
    111 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Smapty wrote: »
    @CG_Kozispoon

The ultimate question is this... what half the posts in this thread have addressed or speculated on so far...

Will Old Ben still be taunting while fractured? (Considering it breaks his initial taunt)

Regardless of the scenario? Like if anyone other than Thrawn moves immediately after he applies the fracture to Old Ben?

It could potentially bring a big advantage to his taunt in arena or otherwise...

Old Ben's Zeta Taunt should last 1 turn through Fracture.
    The old gif just wasn't clear that Thrawn immediately started another turn and dispelled Fracture.

1 turn through fracture, not during is how I read this - could be wrong but that would mean
    1)Ben taunts
    2) thrawn fracture - no taunt
    3) when fracture expires Ben regains taunt

Maybe??????

Edit : I didn't see the original gif so just going off wording, apologies if this has already been cleared up
  • Liamtbqh wrote: »
    The unique is getting a Zeta so there should be a Level 8 instead of Level 7 which is currently the max. There is no loss there and also the leader doesn't change either so you should be fine.

Ewok Elder and one Omega got change for the worst in the TM it provides so maybe thats what youre talking about?

Yes. I recall vaguely that some mate reported lost of omega upgrade right after update.
  • Time to gear up Fulcrum. Under Jyn, bring Old Ben back to get struck down again?

His ability says the first time he's defeated so reviving him won't (or shouldn't) give you buffs the second time he's defeated
  • DeyX
    2 posts Member
    Why does Ben taunt now have a zeta?
  • DeyX wrote: »

He never had a taunt.
  • DeyX
    2 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    DeyX wrote: »

He never had a taunt.

I meant that when they showed us his rework his taunt ability didnt needed a zeta to fully upgrade it

Edit: Nevermind they said that this ability needs a zeta now, sorry.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Thrawn can't fracture when he's stunned.

Raid Han

Raid Han can't stun Thrawn if someone else starts the encounter with a taunt.
  • Noataq
    176 posts Member
    dad2my3 wrote: »
    Thrawn can't fracture when he's stunned.

Raid Han

Raid Han can't stun Thrawn if someone else starts the encounter with a taunt.

Could be reworked to ignore taunt.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Could be.
  • When are these reworks supposed to take effect? I haven't seen them in game yet
  • SlyGambit wrote: »
    This...this is a weird gif. We're looking to replace it with something more clear to better showcase the ability. Cheers!

I know you want to highlight the taunt returning but you might want to consider a different Empire character facing Obi in a 1v1. Rhymes with Barth Layder.

Just saying. ;)

Are you referring to Barf later?
  • scuba
    14016 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Jamesm wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »
    Brownie wrote: »
    Cardiff0 wrote: »
    So it looks like if old ben has taunt and is fractured he will be taunting while fractured.

This contradicts fracture because fracture means you cant gain buffs

I don't disagree but since dispel happens first before fracture with the way things currently work he could have taunt with fracture.

Every see b2 dispel stealth from sith with maul lead and put up buff immunity?
    the sith gains buff immunity and advantage at the same time. This is same situation
    1. dispel buff(s)
    2. opponet responds to the dispelled buff(s)
    3. debuff that prevents gaining buffs is applied
    4. damage is done

To prevent the uproar and thousands of bug or is this WAI posts they just need to change Thrawn ability to apply fracture first then dispel.

I figured this was the case but why wouldn't Savage or Biggs have buffs while Fractured? Why wouldnt a factured sith under Zaul have stealth occasionally?

Don't want to derail this to much. Hopefully they look at this and make it right before release. However to answer your question you have to consider what triggers them gaining buffs.
    Savage and biggs gain buffs due to taking damage. Sith under zeta maul lead gain stealth due to taking crit damage (or dodge but fracture is unavoidable.)
    The order of operations for fracture are
    1. dispel
    2. apply fracture
    3. do damage

So in the case of savage, biggs and sith stealth fracture is applied before damage is done.
    The issue with ben taunt is that he regains it when it is dispeled (no damage needed) which happens before fracture is applied.

I have not tested it but I bet if thrawn fractures a stealthed sith under zeta maul lead they will be fractured with advantage up.

You're right, derailed enough but just to answer your question no a stealthed sith with zaul will not fracture with adv up

Are you sure about that????

wxz9UYU.png
    Tophar wrote: »
    Smapty wrote: »
    @CG_Kozispoon

The ultimate question is this... what half the posts in this thread have addressed or speculated on so far...

Will Old Ben still be taunting while fractured? (Considering it breaks his initial taunt)

Regardless of the scenario? Like if anyone other than Thrawn moves immediately after he applies the fracture to Old Ben?

It could potentially bring a big advantage to his taunt in arena or otherwise...

Old Ben's Zeta Taunt should last 1 turn through Fracture.
    The old gif just wasn't clear that Thrawn immediately started another turn and dispelled Fracture.

1 turn through fracture, not during is how I read this - could be wrong but that would mean
    1)Ben taunts
    2) thrawn fracture - no taunt
    3) when fracture expires Ben regains taunt

Maybe??????

Edit : I didn't see the original gif so just going off wording, apologies if this has already been cleared up

Not sure where the orginal gif is. I am sure it was quoted somewhere

but it was basically like this. (Pretende DN with stealth is old ben with taunt)
    rBqF2j6.gif
  • With the introduction of Territory Battles, soon we could zetas as a reward in that
  • scuba
    14016 posts Member
    Liamtbqh wrote: »
    With the introduction of Territory Battles, soon we could zetas as a reward in that

I could see them throwing in a chance at 1 zeta.
    Can probably only run 1 a week
    Rancor cost 60 tickets
    Aat cost 90 tickets
    Going with that TB will cost 120 tickets
  • ptMA0nF.jpg

So with the new old ben taunt, once ennemy kills him then all the other guys get crazy buffs
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    Read the character strategy thread dude
  • Wasn't it always like that?
  • scuba
    14016 posts Member
    ptMA0nF.jpg

So with the new old ben taunt, once ennemy kills him then all the other guys get crazy buffs

Only 2 "buffs" but also health, protection and TM
    The first time Old Ben is defeated, all allies gain Offense Up and Speed Up for 2 turns, recover 50% Health and 50% Protection, and gain 25% Turn Meter."
  • MrPosz
    127 posts Member
    Drepd wrote: »
    they should add in the description that he dispels himself and gains taunt. Thats the only way he should be able to gain his taunt again if he is fractured or has any type of buff immunity on him.

I don't see why people are obsessed with fracture, he'll loose his taunt and fracture prevents him from getting it again. Nothing's wrong with Ben tooltip or whatever.

What is worrying me is more Old ben reworeked kit than its tooltip.

Turn 1. Mind trick and then a tank who is still not taunting. No potency, terrible results most certainly.
    Turn 2. Finally he taunts, most certainly dispelled. Great a 1 turn taunt on a 4 turns CD... since no one is taunting you most certainly have lost one toon or two anyway.
    Turn 3 to 6 worthless basic spam while getting a potency up buff which is needed by absolutely no skill during 3 turns.

@zombiwan_kenobi
    Turn One: R2D2 use smoke screen Obi use mind trick and no worries as whole your team is stealthed.. all you need is fast R2D2

And it dosen't metter if it is a jedi team or it's a Rebels team under Jyn's lead.. For Rebel teams under Jyn R2D2 + Old Ben looks like solid core.
  • zombiwan_kenobi
    427 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    MrPosz wrote: »
    Drepd wrote: »
    they should add in the description that he dispels himself and gains taunt. Thats the only way he should be able to gain his taunt again if he is fractured or has any type of buff immunity on him.

I don't see why people are obsessed with fracture, he'll loose his taunt and fracture prevents him from getting it again. Nothing's wrong with Ben tooltip or whatever.

What is worrying me is more Old ben reworeked kit than its tooltip.

Turn 1. Mind trick and then a tank who is still not taunting. No potency, terrible results most certainly.
    Turn 2. Finally he taunts, most certainly dispelled. Great a 1 turn taunt on a 4 turns CD... since no one is taunting you most certainly have lost one toon or two anyway.
    Turn 3 to 6 worthless basic spam while getting a potency up buff which is needed by absolutely no skill during 3 turns.

@zombiwan_kenobi
    Turn One: R2D2 use smoke screen Obi use mind trick and no worries as whole your team is stealthed.. all you need is fast R2D2

And it dosen't metter if it is a jedi team or it's a Rebels team under Jyn's lead.. For Rebel teams under Jyn R2D2 + Old Ben looks like solid core.

Baze Malbus, DT or TFP, and they're not that rare toons.
    I wouldn't use an Old ben on a Rogue one team, they certainly don't need less utility, less dps and a pretty bad tank since they're quite fragile already.

Old ben wants to be a debuffer and a tank but fails at being both, for one reason, they added a useless taunt skill which has made his total kit a complete mess (and most certainly will be even worse when played by the AI). Old Ben needed an auto-taunt on a (old or new whatever) unique, to be played the same way Baze does.

His new basic, his new TM mechanics and even the lack of buffs upon his death don't synergize at all. TM upon allies being hit works on RG but not on someone who is supposed to taunt 3 turns if you're crazy enough to waste a zeta on him.

You know what devs thought while reworking him ? They thought about the incoming Luke event fight, StHan taunting the first rounds until he dies, plenty of TM for Old Ben to use mind tricks again and again, and then once StHan dies Old Ben taunts and dies, healing everyone since at this time everyone will be wounded.

It only works here and AI won't ever play him this way. Situational character design is bad, really bad.
  • Okay, I know this is late since the rework has already been released, but this is something I've mentioned before, have wanted for a long time, and is easily added as a stealth change:

PLEASE, please, please pretty-please: if you're going a battle that rates your victory on the 1-3 star scale, make sure that when Old Ben dies it doesn't count against you acquiring that 3'd star.

he's the only toon in the game who is designed to die in battle. He's the only character in the movies who says, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." He's the only character from the movies who "won" by being defeated in battle.

Please make this change: a victory in which you lose Old Ben should not be a lesser victory.
  • scuba wrote: »
    So it looks like if old ben has taunt and is fractured he will be taunting while fractured.

I don't disagree but since dispel happens first before fracture with the way things currently work he could have taunt with fracture.

the sith gains buff immunity and advantage at the same time. This is same situation
    1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

To prevent the uproar and thousands of bug or is this WAI posts they just need to change Thrawn ability to apply fracture first then dispel.

I use thrawn in arena, and ive never had an opponent gain crit immunity after being fractured, so i think that goes against the way fracture works

1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

I use thrawn in arena, and ive never had an opponent gain crit immunity after being fractured, so i think that goes against the way fracture works

1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done