Hero's Journey Event Discussion

Replies

• Options
    The Hero's Journey event has been launched! What did you like? What did you not like? Please leave feedback here.
    @CG_Kozispoon: My full feedback can be found in this thread. Suffice it to say that I like the event on the whole, but I'm supremely disappointed by how it was rolled out. I could only finish part 1 because my Ben, R2, and Luke were only recently unlocked and haven't been developed well enough to get past part 2. Moreover, even if they were developed enough I still would be gated by my 4* Ben, so I have no incentive to continue the event this time.

It sounds like all the parts that I haven't accessed are fun and challenging, which is actually really frustrating because by the time the event rolls around again my characters will be so developed that I should be able to autobattle through the thing and that's further disappointing.

A thing I would suggest for these events going forward? Instead of gating it by having every character at X*, maybe instead gate it at having a cumulative number of stars in your squad. ie: Instead of "Must have Luke, R2, and Ben at 7*," have the gate of "Have Luke, R2, and Ben and have 20 stars between them." This'll provide a little more flexibility, while not reducing the difficulty. A 6* Ben at 85 gear 9 represents a significant investment that should be able to do the thing.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I think is great to have new characters in the game, it keeps it interesting! I hope I can get Commander Luke. On the other hand I can see the frustration that an event requires 5 characters (all 7*) in order to succeed. There should be other way to keep it challenging but posible y you don't have them all.

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_Kozispoon I want to take my hat off to you and the Dev Team for such a brilliant event!!!

I posted a long time ago in these forums about an idea of a Luke Story/Training event to become a jedi and my dreams came true - with more to come.

I think the event was absolutely awesome! It was immersive, lore friendly, fun and challenging.

It was challenging in that there were so many toon requirements, but also that last tier was a strong challenge. I had to re-arrange my character mods to pass it and unlock my prize..CLS!

However, I was a little disappointed by the packs available in store - Old Ben, Leia, STHan etc. We did not get packs for Phoenix squad when the Thrawn event was on (I failed to get Thrawn by the way). I would have likely bought them otherwise, especially as Phoenix were so new to f2p farming, when toons such as Leia, FB Luke, Old Ben etc. have been around since game launch.

In any event (no pun intended) - I really enjoyed the Hero Journey!

Thanks again!

Boo
  • Options
    I thought that the event was fun. I used Gear 10 R2, Leia, and Luke with Gear 9 STH and Old Ben and really breezed through the event. When it comes back, I would like to be able to replay it with harder tiers. I also liked how it followed the storyline of the movie. More events structured in this way could be fun, especially something focused on Dark Side characters. Anakin's journey to the Dark Side could be interesting.

However, I have been the only one in my guild to unlock CLS. One other member might unlock him, but it is doubtful. I have been playing since December 2015, and many others joined not long after that. I know the game needs to make money and the best way to do that is through short-during events, but I think quite a few people would have appreciated the event running for another week, or so.
  • Options
    ^^^ This x1000
  • Options
    For me I never leveled up Luke and I never even unlocked Old Ben because they were underwhelming characters. Now that they got a much needed upgraded they are nice to have but I can't unlock CLS due to just now unlocking Old Ben and Luke. Having a day or two of double drops on their nodes would be nice for people like me.
  • Boonchie
    49 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm in almost exactly the same boat as the previous comment. I've been farming Ben with 2-3 cantina refreshes per day since the event was first teased, but still am 175 shards short of getting him finished (also 93 shards to go on Farmboy Luke). I would actually gladly buy both of those packs for $40 to be able to finish the event, but there still doesn't seem to be enough time for me to finish this time around. So instead, I'll just farm them for free and not spend a dime.

Unless, with double drops or an event extension, it would become worthwhile to spend the money on those packs. Please?
  • Forar
    94 posts Member
    Options
    People keep bringing up the money aspect, but it's almost strange how reserved this one is. Short of spending massive amounts of crystals on shop refreshes, the one shot packs are of limited use unless one is already quite close to completion. Buying crystals is only so efficient, obviously, so I don't actually agree that it's about being part of their business model. If the packs were repeatable, or they had a double drop period to inspire piles of farming, perhaps, but as it stands this is one of the lesser monetized events.

Granted, dropping $80 on all of the packs would be a hefty chunk of change, but the lack of options to let players catch up makes them fairly niche items; you have to be close enough that 80 shards actually makes it possible to complete, but not much further than that otherwise it's a waste.

I just see it as at odds with that sentiment. "You can pay to catch up, but only a little, maybe a final star on a character or two". If it was truly about raking in cash, I'd expect a lot more opportunities. Which ties into making the event longer or giving greater notice, as many have complained about; if this event ran for another week, I still probably wouldn't be able to complete it without a $20 pack and perhaps a crystal purchase, but if I can't even do it with those, then why bother? It seems like a fairly narrow band of usefulness.
  • Corrog
    308 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_Kozispoon : Here are my thoughts, after completing all but the last tier:

1) I loved the idea of the event, and parts of the execution were equally stellar. As has been mentioned by several others, the Old Ben/Vader stage was fantastic. Though, as I've only recently finished tier 3 tenacity mod challenge, my Old Ben had difficulty actually using the sacrifice ability, due to ability block Vader applies liberally.

2) One part I was not fond of, however, is the Luke/Leia stage. I understand why they are used there, however, it felt punitive to have such reliance on RNG throughout the stage. Leia's multi-attack chance, and Luke's chance to apply DoT, to be specific. These two abilities were critical to my eventual completion of that stage, but it took many tries to achieve the desired result.

3) As for the lead up to the event, I have mixed feelings. I understand the need to have characters that people have neglected used for these events. I really do. However, the need to farm for the sudden, unexpected, return of R2 threw me off. I had been passively farming Empire characters, and primarily Phoenix, for weeks. Thrawn was the bigger target for me, and I wanted my characters ready for that first. When R2 came back and CLS was announced as needing him, I was left in a hard situation. Farm Empire, and get R2, or farm the rest of the CLS team. It's worked out, so far. I farmed Empire and got R2, and now I need 30 Leia shards and 65 Luke shards to get a crack at the final tier. But in the future, a little warning that a legendary character like R2 is coming back would be very much appreciated.
  • Ch0w
    61 posts Member
    Options
    Really a nice event !! Ben's scene was the best !
  • Options
    Good event from what I've seen, shame you didn't make it last 2 weeks, I would have then unlocked CLS by buying the Old Ben and Farmer Luke packs. :/
  • Ruyen
    46 posts Member
    Options
    Having so much trouble with t3, tried nearly 100x and it's extremely aggravating.

My stats:
    Han Level 77, 7*, gear 8/5 (16k hp, 12k protection, +17 speed)
    Luke Level 70, 5*, gear 7/4 (±45 speed, +30% crit chance)

I've tried everything I can think of, and barely make it to wave 2. Among the things I tried besides the basic strat...
    -Tried Speed mods on Han before going full Prot,
    -Tried not Taunting ASAP so Luke takes hits down below 50% to activate Plan B and make Han live longer while Luke life-steals back up
    - Even tried Luke in lead. Lol

Seems the only thing I haven't tried is modding Luke for crit damage but I assumed %chance was better for him to trigger TM on his basic.

Ridiculously hard CG, if lvl 85 or gear 9s were required, make that clear beforehand.

I think that's my biggest gripe about this game, not knowing what you're going to need or get. Hidden rewards if min reqs aren't met, unclear requirements, difficulty inconsistency that makes it near impossible to know what you'll need to bring to fight.

This t3 difficulty in the event is the kind of thing that makes me so playing a game, or at least stop spending.
  • Options
    I would say give us more warning for what Characters to farm and let us now if their will be a legendary character involved with the Hero's journey etc.
  • Options
    @Ruyen

I left you a message on the CLS-Tier3 strategy thread.
  • Options
    Corrog wrote: »
    3) As for the lead up to the event, I have mixed feelings. I understand the need to have characters that people have neglected used for these events. I really do. However, the need to farm for the sudden, unexpected, return of R2 threw me off. I had been passively farming Empire characters, and primarily Phoenix, for weeks. Thrawn was the bigger target for me, and I wanted my characters ready for that first. When R2 came back and CLS was announced as needing him, I was left in a hard situation. Farm Empire, and get R2, or farm the rest of the CLS team. It's worked out, so far. I farmed Empire and got R2, and now I need 30 Leia shards and 65 Luke shards to get a crack at the final tier. But in the future, a little warning that a legendary character like R2 is coming back would be very much appreciated.
    This is a real big point. If we'd had as much time for this event as we did for Thrawn, I think there would be significantly less discontent.

My friends and I have a facebook group where we talk amongst ourselves and you can literally see me become more crestfallen day by day as it goes from "The event will probably be at the end of the month, that's why Luke's the login character. I'll have time if I work real hard!" to "The event is starting today? Well, if it lasts two weeks I can do it if I get the pack, which is good value anyway" to "Oh, to hell with this... I'll do T1 because there's an achievement and then do the rest next time."
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Ruyen
    46 posts Member
    Options
    Ruyen wrote: »
    Having so much trouble with t3, tried nearly 100x and it's extremely aggravating.

My stats:
    Han Level 77, 7*, gear 8/5 (16k hp, 12k protection, +17 speed)
    Luke Level 70, 5*, gear 7/4 (±45 speed, +30% crit chance)

I've tried everything I can think of, and barely make it to wave 2. Among the things I tried besides the basic strat...
    -Tried Speed mods on Han before going full Prot,
    -Tried not Taunting ASAP so Luke takes hits down below 50% to activate Plan B and make Han live longer while Luke life-steals back up
    - Even tried Luke in lead. Lol

Seems the only thing I haven't tried is modding Luke for crit damage but I assumed %chance was better for him to trigger TM on his basic.

Ridiculously hard CG, if lvl 85 or gear 9s were required, make that clear beforehand.

I think that's my biggest gripe about this game, not knowing what you're going to need or get. Hidden rewards if min reqs aren't met, unclear requirements, difficulty inconsistency that makes it near impossible to know what you'll need to bring to fight.

This t3 difficulty in the event is the kind of thing that makes me so playing a game, or at least stop spending.

Has anyone beat tier 3 under lvl 80? If so, please tell about your gear lvl, mod layout, and kill order.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    This event that could be quite enjoyable, what with the attempt at a storyline, the reproduction of important moments from Ep4, etc, is nothing but frustration at this point.

I've seen people do this with gear 8 & 9 toons. I have a g10 Leia and this level is where she's supposed to shine...

... but the imperials are so fast I never get a chance to do anything. My leia was well modded, and had 202 speed total, but even the StormTroopers were going before her. So I stripped out the only mod I really could to get more speed on her. She hit 210 and I could go before the taunt, but not until after the Imperial officer blasts his special. And with the reduced offense to get the extra speed, there's 0 chance of one-shotting the officer before the stormtroopers taunt.

I hate this event. I really do.

I understand, in theory, the idea of rewarding your top players. But this even with the deliberately misleading time frame, the inability for your toons to compete without +70 speed or more, and to top it off, the Crit Immunity of the auto-taunters on the final battle.

This whole thing deliberately created the illusion of possibility, only to confront you with a reality of impossibility. EA/CG did this with so many different aspects of this, not least the truly and unforgivably deceptive use of Luke as Log-in character to throw a wrench in plans and give not new hope, but false hope to the players.

EA/CG, I recognize the game is free. You don't have any responsibility to me. But I've put actual money into this game, and this CLS event has made me nothing but less and less happy over time.
  • Options
    When they officially announced the characters needed. I had 0 Old Ben Shards, and a 4* Farmboy Luke, The rest of the characters like Leia and St Han no one has an excuse not to have, there both used in popular HAAT teams that anyone who deserves Luke should have built, he is a meta character after all not everyone should be able to unlock too easily. But as for people complaining about Old Ben, I started the day he was announced and with 3 crystal refreshes a day, all bonus energy claimed and the pack for 80 shards he was finished with plenty of time to finish Farmboy as well. My point is everyone saying it is impossible to farm old ben from when he was announced are incorrect, have done it myself. Just takes full dedication from the announcement date, refreshes and the one pack for 80 shards.
  • Options
    @Zaraos

Thanks for your brag. It really enhances the thread.
  • Options
    Extremely disappointed that the event ran so soon and so short that there is not enough time to farm Old Ben to 7*. I have the rest ready to go and with decent gear, even R2. Old Ben just barely reached 6* with extra refreshes each day. This is extremely disappointing and feels like all my hard work was for nothing.
  • Zaraos
    771 posts Member
    Options
    @Zaraos

Thanks for your brag. It really enhances the thread.

Was not meant as a brag, only to explain to all the people saying it was not enough time due to old ben, that if instead of complaining, they knuckle down and farm him from when it was announced, they would have got Luke in time
  • Options
    @MasterSeedy Yes I'll say it again the event could have and should have been harder for a character such as CLS. From the tone of your other posts I'm skeptical you're in a guild doing HAAT and if you are then 0 excuse for St. Han and Leia not to mention you should have had a team strong enough to get R2 if you're in that kind of guild.

So it comes down to Old Ben and Farm Boy. If you've been around long enough there was a dodge meta that either was Dooku lead or Old Ben. Even if you haven't been around long enough for that meta then what do you think "familiar faces" mean when talking about Luke's Story? So you've had 4 months to farm for two characters that are obtainable if you'll grind for it, or always an option spend money.

A character like CLS shouldn't just be given out without having to actually have some work done. This event was given heads up of characters needed. Did they explicitly say what characters were needed, no. Could have been much worse such as Thrawn event needing Phoenix, that was bad 0 use for Phoenix except for getting Thrawn.

If you're thinking I'm saying it needed to be maxed characters and great mods, then I don't know what to tell you but ticking up the difficulty a hair wouldn't have been bad. It would have made getting CLS a bit more special than just having him handed to you like you seem to think you're entitled for whatever reason.
  • ElleMadara
    1017 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The Hero's Journey event has been launched! What did you like? What did you not like? Please leave feedback here.

Commander Luke/TES Luke was THE ONLY REBEL that l was waiting for... but l couldn't get him, l don't have a 7* Old Ben, he was terrible back then, l didn't even had him unlocked, we weren't warned/helped properly, in "Artist of War" you helped a lot (Double Drops, Shard Shop), but in this event you didn't help us at all, l am so dissappointed, l am playing this game since the beginning and l took a spit to the face with just 7 days to farm 330 shards of a terrible character, this is not cool.
  • Options
    ElleMadara wrote: »

Commander Luke/TES Luke was THE ONLY REBEL that l was waiting for... but l couldn't get him, l don't have a 7* Old Ben, he was terrible back then, l didn't even had him unlocked, we weren't warned/helped properly, in "Artist of War" you helped a lot (Double Drops, Shard Shop), but in this event you didn't help us at all, l am so dissappointed, l am playing this game since the beginning and l took a spit to the face with just 7 days to farm 330 shards of a terrible character, this is not cool.

Did you miss the memo of Luke will need FAMILIAR FACES to help him along his journey? And that was back in May which would have been more than enough time.
  • Options
    @JediMasterEd
    Did you miss the memo of Luke will need FAMILIAR FACES to help him along his journey?

Did you miss the memo where Biggs and Wedge weren't required for the event? Lando was not required? Yoda was not required?

Did you fail to see Lobot's face in the movies? He's familiar to me.

I'm sick of people saying in hindsight that ambiguous hints are the same as clear directives, as if you should always pay attention to those hints and they will never steer you wrong.

News Flash: The CLS event obviously won't end before August 31 because Farmboy is the month's Log-in character.

Or perhaps that's not right and your ability to predict the future only works in hindsight.
  • Options
    @JediMasterEd
    If you're thinking I'm saying it needed to be maxed characters and great mods, then I don't know what to tell you but ticking up the difficulty a hair wouldn't have been bad. It would have made getting CLS a bit more special than just having him handed to you like you seem to think you're entitled for whatever reason.

You're clearly not paying attention. There are many ways to increase the difficulty for those that found this event easy while making it easier for those who found this event tough.

If the designers said that the requirements for participation were 5 x 7* toons and that all toons must be g10, then I would agree with you that the event needs to be made more difficult across the board.

But that wasn't what designers said. They said that once you have 5 x 7* toons, you qualify for the event. I'm saying that the event requirements should be honestly stated. Moreover, I have a whole thread I just started where I go out of my way to explain one possible way where you can reward players with gear11 toons by making it easier and still make it challenging for players with g11 toons, but without making it impossible for gear 7-8 toons (I use this because if you have the toons at all, you can get them to g7 quickly. So it's possible to "merely" require that the toons be activated while expecting that gearing the toons to g7 would be an obvious step if you notice you are always losing).

I don't want anyone handed a CLS. Not even someone with maxed out toons. You should enjoy the challenge and feel like you did something in your gameplay, not merely pulled the handle on the slot machine a thousand times, collected the gear rewards, and then auto'd the battles that are now easy for you.

In any case, I have a separate thread up about this and how using no features other than those already introduced by the developers, a better event could have been created.
  • Options
    Ah poo...I was well chuffed with getting Ben to 7 and sacrificing then I found out I needed R2 7* for the next tier too.

Ah well. No CLS for me :/
  • MadStyle
    23 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Most games that have choices on paths will try to tell me that those choices are viable. What they did is tell me my choices are bad and I'm stupid for not following their expectations.

So with most of these events, I just sit there and wait for them to expire because I don't have what they want me to have in order to play their game.

• Forar
    94 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Zaraos wrote: »
    Was not meant as a brag, only to explain to all the people saying it was not enough time due to old ben, that if instead of complaining, they knuckle down and farm him from when it was announced, they would have got Luke in time

Except not everyone had thousands of crystals laying around to spend on 3 refreshes per day (and even a top 100 Arena placement only acquires them so quickly), especially those of us who just spent literally tens of thousands on them in the weeks and months prior finishing up Nihilus.

They gave us a giant crystal sink and then hit us with an event that needed a hefty crystal stockpile just to have a hope of completing if we hadn't already been sinking time and resources into it for weeks prior (RNG permitting). Shame that I worked on Sith Assassin who is a beast in the right crew, rather than Old Ben who was maybe kind of relevant in my shard like a year and a half ago.

Oh, and Fulcrum is available for purchase now.

So do I start buying them to finish her off, or save some up and hope they don't include her in an event?

Personally I think it's too risky to buy into yet another 'pay to enhance' character again, so I won't, and then I look forward to being told I 'wasn't prepared' when suddenly she's necessary for something in a week or two and it's not possible to get her to 7 stars without wasteful shop refreshes.

Edit: personally I started farming Old Ben hard the moment he was *officially* noted as being needed, and got closer than I thought I would in 2 weeks, but far enough away that even the 80 shard pack wouldn't have gotten me over the finish line.
  • Options
    Needs to have bonus tier for destroying the Death Star as promised