Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• Options
    @amaze122 Well mine is 7*, gear 10, 83, with 3 of his 5 skills maxed (no omega on basic or zeta on unique yet). That's probably where the disparity comes in. And he is squishy - that's why a lot of people run tanks in their teams. Even with his unique zeta'd, he's still going to be a soft target. As for mods - I wouldn't go for potency. With his leader skill he's already got as much as he's going to need. I'd probably aim for health/prot if you're worried about him dying, or maybe go offense/crit damage if you want more offensive power.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    Characters in this game tend to fall into certain roles, and are designed that way. Palpatine’s role is support, which means he’s pretty easy to kill, but while he’s alive, he will punish the other team. He’s got 3 things going for him:
    1.) his leadership is designed to work with more than half of the dark side characters in the game and the zeta ability makes them speed up quite a bit
    2.) he’s great at mass stunning the other team, which can create easy victories even against strong teams. Also he shocks on his basic, which prevents healing and buffs
    3.) his mass stun and self-heal have team benefits that make everyone better

Since the rework, the Emperor is pretty much the best leader in the game (as is fitting, considering he’s the Emperor and all).
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @FailingCrab wrote:
    "I use Palpayine (lead) / Vader / Thrawn / Tarkin / TIE Fighter Pilot and I make top 20 whenever I can clay at my payout time, top 10 if I'm lucky, top 5 if I'm really lucky."

I have asked several people so far and they all say Exactly the same thing, and in that order, LoL. It must be a universally accepted fact. What I do not understand, is why No one mentions General Veers; is he just chopped liver in this game? :)

@Kai_Mulai thanks for the tips!

@Trystan_Spyder running a tank seems like a great idea. I just remembered, this team--->>

[img][/img]wQRsmjW.png

kicked my butt so badly in GW a few weeks ago that I commemorated it by taking a screenshot, LoL...

These are the mod bonuses that Kylo Unmasked used, and he was Untouchable. Think this set would work for EP?

[img][/img]89gA4Q0.png

• Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    Veers is a good character, but he’s best used as the leader of an Imperial Troopers team. All his abilities are designed to work with other troopers.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    Options
    @Kai_Mulai, Ah...I see.
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It's not possible for us to comment on mods without seeing the individual stats of each mod. Generally with mods, for most characters the important thing is to have speed as one of the secondary stats (primary if it's the arrow mod).

I can see how that team would cause you trouble, I saw a few people running it in my shard not log ago. It should be fairly easy to beat with the team I mentioned above though. Kylo Ren Unmasked, while a good toon, is not an Empire toon. For that reason he doesn't feed the enemy Vader more speed (read the description of Vader's unique ability) so if all else is equal your Vader will go first. When you have the zeta on Palpatine's leadership this basically means your entire team will go first and you've basically won already.

The ideal tank to run in that team would be shore trooper or sith trooper but those are not easy toons to get, and I can beat everyone on my shard who uses them with my team as long as my Vader goes first (sorry @Kai_Mulai!).
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    The ideal tank to run in that team would be shore trooper or sith trooper but those are not easy toons to get, and I can beat everyone on my shard who uses them with my team as long as my Vader goes first (sorry @Kai_Mulai!).

Ah, @FailingCrab, you just wait until I gear him up! :p
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    Options
    @FailingCrab I actually have had Sith Trooper for some time, just never geared or leveled him up. Sounds like for now I should just stick to that basic lineup you gave me; EP, Vader, Thrawn, Tarkin, and TFP and gear them all up as much as possible. You said:
    "When you have the zeta on Palpatine's leadership this basically means your entire team will go first and you've basically won already."

Since This--->>>

[img][/img]gReu6bU.jpg

is what is required to accomplish that, it will be a looong time coming... I am Still battling and grindin' trying to beat those Fleet Capital Ship challenges and Fleet Ability Materials challenges! A work in progress, as I have several suggestions from a few people and am trying them out as we speak...

• Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    Eventually, you will replace tarkin and TFP with sion and DN. That team is pretty deadly and will be worse when Traya is added to it.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    Options
    HI, @Sunnie1978! So you are saying EP, Vader, Thrawn, Sion, and DN. Sounds good, except when I click on "Find" for shards for Sion and DN I get "Available from Data Cards in the Store". Ouch....

Another question; if I add Traya to this team of EP, Vader, Thrawn, Sion, and DN, who do I cut?
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @amaze122 Traya shards are only available by completing the heroic sith raid, which you can’t do unless half your guild or more has jedi training Rey and lots of other good teams. You will not unlock Traya for a very long time (maybe a year from now), so there’s no need to worry about how you’re going to fit her into your team.

Sion is currently a marquee character, which means you should have him at 3* if you did his marquee event but you won’t get more shards without paying crystals or actual money for them. He is still arena viable at 3* and high gear levels, though.

Nihilus is available in a dark side hard node which you can access once you’re level 85. He takes a while to star up, but thankfully he’s also usable at low stars.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »

Sion is currently a marquee character, which means you should have him at 3* if you did his marquee event but you won’t get more shards without paying crystals or actual money for them. He is still arena viable at 3* and high gear levels, though.

He should be made farmable somewhere within a month.

This is why it is an eventual replacement not an immediate one.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Naraic wrote: »
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »

He should be made farmable somewhere within a month.

This is why it is an eventual replacement not an immediate one.

Sion, yes. But Traya is so far off for most players not in a 120 million+ GP guild, it’s pointless to currently ask about how to fit her in a team.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, Traya is not a concern for newer players yet. Sion is usable at the 3* he unlocked at, people at the top of my Feb 2016 shard use him at that level.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Sunnie1978 but are you saying that he must be paired with DN to be effective? or can I just replace TFP and stick him in now?

This next post is unbelievable so I took a pic. This is my Third attempt, and they all end the same way. I am playing the Military Might challenge tier II, stage eight and I get to this point, with all of my 7*, GX squad intact (Hera is 7*, G9). And then.....It doesn't matter if I concentrate on Vader or the Red Guards (which start taunting soon anyway), it always comes to a point where after the initial flurry of blows, my whole team just stands there, while the Red Guards and Vader just take turns shooting them until they are all dead. They do not get to fire Another Shot!!....WTH!

iciE8kt.jpg

Edit: By the way, I just noticed something; what is "CounterWatch"? Is that some new ability just for this challenge; where did That come from?

• Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    Sion is best paired with DN to be effective, but he is usable without.

Sometimes for events like the assault battles, players get a special event ability. For Military Might, the special ability is Counterwatch: Gain a Heal Over Time effect (15%), Retribution, and +50% Offense for 1 turn. Additionally, while the Retribution effect is active, if the character attacks out of turn they have a 50% chance to call an Assist. This Buff cannot be dispelled.

As to how to beat the last bit with Phoenix, I will have to defer to other players on how to actually beat it, I can only theorize. I did it a long time ago before Phoenix were released with Wedge, Biggs, Leia, STH and Lando. Now, I use CLS, Chaze, R2 and Zolo to beat the mythic, although a guild mate used very high Phoenix squad and also beat the mythic.I would think the overwatch ability would be good to place on toons you plan to call out of turn, like Zeb and Ezra, before you use the assist ability of Hera and Ezra. Also on Chopper, if you have the omega that has him assist out of turn. I am thinking you can chain it too, something like have Hera call Ezra to attack. Ezra has retribution, so he calls an assist. If the character assisting has retribution, they will call an assist also. If you have the omega on Chopper and he assists, he will also call an assist. You could potentially have a lot of extra attacks before Emperor is protected by the taunt.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Sunnie1978 I don't remember if I have the Omega on Chopper or not, and I can't look, because the game is paused until I figure this out. The round starts with Ezra, so I am going to take your advice and put the Overwatch ability on him first, then try using Hera to call him, and so on. Cross your fingers!
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I swear I am just so sick of this @*&% Mess!

[img][/img]l4Kn66U.jpg

So Ezra got One Shot off, then Red Guard took turns stunning everyone so that they could not move, and then attacking them, and then repeat, until two of them were dead. Then they stopped and Hera tried to call an assist but everyone was frozen that was still alive, and then once again Red Guard all took turns going from toon to toon, first freezing/stunning them and then attacking until the rest were dead.

Total Shots fired by my team....TWO....

Edit: I don't think that Palpatine got a shot in either. He just stood there and watched the Red Guard destroy my team....
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    What is the tenacity of your toons? If you have any +24 tenacity crosses, put them on so you can hopefully resist the stuns.
  • Options
    Hi. Newbie here.. ally-228-383-622
    I have 8 characters
    4☆ chewy. Mace windu
    3☆ talia. Luke skywalker (farmboy)
    2☆jedi consular
    1☆ ewok scout. Royal guard
    Which do i keep upgrading. Which are crap and not waste resources on...
    Tyvm sk
  • Options
    Also trying to get kanan to go first so he can taunt might work - the Royal guards won't stun anyone else
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Sunnie1978 thanks but I would prefer a less invasive method. I am so tired of having to completely alter the Mod setup of my toons just for these events, at the charge of $3000 to $4500 credits for each removed Mod, and then have to put them back afterward. If I make a change, I would prefer for it to be one I can just keep using even after an event is over.

Edit: @Sunnie1978 I just checked, and I have All of Chopper's abilities Maxed, so yeah I do have that Omega you were speaking of...

@FailingCrab that sounds like a good idea. Right now Ezra goes first because he is the fastest, with a +26 speed arrow. If I switch that out with Kanan, which sounds like a good idea anyway, since like you reminded me, he is my main taunter, then he would probably go first. Maybe I should look into adjusting Hera also, making her next in line, because of her call an assist ability... I dunno, just free-thinkin' here....

Edit#2: Basically I am looking for a change in my Phoenix setup that counts as a strategy that I can use Always, and not just for right now.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    Strategy for the last battle in military might with Phoenix goes like this:
    Go into the 8th battle with all specials available. On Ezra’s turn and Hera’s turn, call Zeb to assist and attack the Emperor. On Zeb’s turn do a basic attack. That should keep Palpatine stunned for the most part. Whichever taunter goes first (Chopper or Kanan), have them taunt, drawing all the stuns. If Chopper went first, have Kanan taunt and cleanse the stun from Chopper. Kanan should be your slowest team member and basically stand there taunting and getting stunned. Keep attacking Palpatine and using Zeb’s assist to stun him whenever he gets un-stunned. When he first gets to yellow health, all the royal guards will taunt for a turn. If anyone in your team has a turn when that happens, use the counterwatch ability. The royal guards are really fast, so their taunts end quick. After the taunts end, finish off Palpatine and then kill off the royal guards (you can auto it after Palpatine is dead). Just keep in mind that anytime Palpatine gets a turn, he’s going to 1-shot kill someone. So if it looks like he’s getting close to taking a turn and he’s not stunned, use Hera’s backup plan on Kanan (assuming he’s taunting) so he comes back.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    Simjmk1 wrote: »
    Hi. Newbie here.. ally-228-383-622
    I have 8 characters
    4☆ chewy. Mace windu
    3☆ talia. Luke skywalker (farmboy)
    2☆jedi consular
    1☆ ewok scout. Royal guard
    Which do i keep upgrading. Which are **** and not waste resources on...
    Tyvm sk
    You’ll need Chewie as an early scoundrel, but after you get 5 better ones, you can forget him. Mace has a capital ship, so you’ll need him for fleet challenges, but that’s it. Talia is only useful on a Nightsisters team, which is typically more used by bigger spenders initially. Farmboy Luke is needed to get his upgrade version, Commander Luke. Jedi Consular has a ship that can be useful in some fleet challenges and early fleet arena. Ewok scout is useless except on an Ewok team, which you don’t need. Royal Guard is a decent early Empire tank, but hard to upgrade until you have better options.

Short version: Farmboy Luke eventually needs to be 7* and gear level 8. Chewie is effective at 5* and gear 6. You’ll get character shards for Mace Windu from fleet challenges, so you can mostly ignore him. You’ll want to eventually get Jedi Consular to gear 8 for his ship. Everyone else is mostly useless.

If you want to start well, ignore all of your beginning characters and start farming a Phoenix team: Hera, Ezra, Zeb, Chopper, Kanan (and Sabine)
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    @amaze122: I don't have much time to go into detail, but have you tried other comps besides just Phoenix? The event is going to be about team comp and strategy rather than just gear.

An Ackbar lead would give a speed boost to everyone and add a group cleanse. Your Lando is geared well and once you get his special going that would greatly help you on offense in the last stage. Old Ben might be a good tank, because if he ends up dying, everyone else gets a boost. His special could help on the earlier stages to keep the damage and AoE attacks at bay.

You can even keep Ezra and Zeb for their respective abilities, and they will be faster without remodding because of Ackbar.

Your R2 could be a fantastic choice as well, but I'm not sure his current gear level is strong enough.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Okay I tried it after my last post, and before all these follow ups. I switched my arrow mods so that Kanan went first, I attacked a royal guard, and immediately chose CounterWatch so that person would have retribution and (outside of their turn) automatically attack anyone who attacked them, good thinking right?

I then went down the line until every one of my toons had CounterWatch and it was a cake walk after that, my team went through all the Red Guards like wheat and Then.....

Like @Kai_Mulai said, EP woke up and began attacking, and every attack was a one shot kill. My team just kept attacking and attacking and he just kept Soaking It All UP like a Freaking Sponge!

He singlehandedly stood against Five Members of my 7*, Gear 10, All CounterWatched team and Destroyed THEM....

Look enough of this already....I Might try one more time, and if I do, I will try @Kai_Mulai's method next, because as @crzydroid said, my R2 is just really not that strong, but look everyone in the forums is complaining that the rewards are not that great anyway, so why bother?

I did tier I (Again!) with no problem, so sometimes you have to just take well enough, and keep your sanity, ya know?
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    amaze122 wrote: »
    Okay I tried it after my last post, and before all these follow ups. I switched my arrow mods so that Kanan went first, I attacked a royal guard, and immediately chose CounterWatch so that person would have retribution and (outside of their turn) automatically attack anyone who attacked them, good thinking right?

I then went down the line until every one of my toons had CounterWatch and it was a cake walk after that, my team went through all the Red Guards like wheat and Then.....

Like @Kai_Mulai said, EP woke up and began attacking, and every attack was a one shot kill. My team just kept attacking and attacking and he just kept Soaking It All UP like a Freaking Sponge!

He singlehandedly stood against Five Members of my 7*, Gear 10, All CounterWatched team and Destroyed THEM....

Look enough of this already....I Might try one more time, and if I do, I will try @Kai_Mulai's method next, because as @crzydroid said, my R2 is just really not that strong, but look everyone in the forums is complaining that the rewards are not that great anyway, so why bother?

I did tier I (Again!) with no problem, so sometimes you have to just take well enough, and keep your sanity, ya know?

Sorry it didn't work out; Palpatine does have a lot of health so that's why you have to keep him stunned. I used to do it with Jyn Erso, but with Phoenix you need to do it with Zeb, calling him with any assists.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    Options
    Okay I tried one more time Exactly as @Kai_Mulai laid it out.

IT worked perfectly, until just as I have him in the yellow, he Dodges two attacks in a row, then kills Zeb, leaving only Ezra. Ezra battles gamely, EP dodges his hardest attack, the "Flourish", which might have done him in, and he then kills Ezra.

As the lovely and talented Adele says "That's it, I quit, I'm movin' on!".... :|
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Fair enough, sometimes you need to know when to quit. I haven't done tier 2 myself either because my rebels just aren't strong enough and I can't be bothered to move mods over for an assault battle I probably can't win anyway!
    Post edited by FailingCrab on
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I’ve done tiers 1, 2, and 3, but get destroyed by Krennic and the Death Troopers in mythic. The rewards are useful when you’ve done it a few times, but they’re really good the first time through each tier.