Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• There are some miss maches but overall it looks good. I hope later the devs change it a bit and counting the toons too. For me, I have exacly same gp as the opponent, but he/she has a deeper rooster, and I have a wider one. He has 7 more g12 than me. It will be interesting. I put down a little bad defense but I rhibk I can win with a bit luck! ☺
  • As long as rewards for losing and for winning do not differ by a magnitude of more than 2x, I have no complaints. And I understand perfectly why they cannot pick 2 players with exactly the same rosters, mods, zetas, etc. to have the *perfect* match people keep asking for.
  • Bad matchmaking!
    My enemy has 1.95m GP for characters, I have 1.68m GP. That ist roughly 20% more than me! I can't use my ships, so that matchmaking is unfair and not thought through!
  • i like a lot of the stuff with grand area so far that im seeing, plus the mini hologram units that are the leaders of nodes is cool...

but im extremely upset about who im against, 1st, because they have traya unlocked, and then the zeta number difference (they have 12 more)
    while zetas can be a bit harder to separate, can you guys at least not put us against people with certain toons unlocked that the other doesn't? im mainly saying the journey/raid characters; every other character i think can be considered fair game.
  • flux_rono wrote: »
    im extremely upset about who im against, 1st,

This is the only player you will fight this round, it's a 1v1, 1 round GA
  • flux_rono wrote: »
    i like a lot of the stuff with grand area so far that im seeing, plus the mini hologram units that are the leaders of nodes is cool...

but im extremely upset about who im against, 1st, because they have traya unlocked, and then the zeta number difference (they have 12 more)
    while zetas can be a bit harder to separate, can you guys at least not put us against people with certain toons unlocked that the other doesn't? im mainly saying the journey/raid characters; every other character i think can be considered fair game.

Not that big a deal, there are several ways to dispatch Traya. I wouldn’t get so worried about that minor difference.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Complete information provides a better experience than anonymous as long as everyone has the same information, especially if there exist APKs that unhide these information (e.g TW territories).
  • So I wrote this in another thread, but I might as well put it also in the megathread :

Also got a bad match making... My oponent got twice the number of G12 I have and about 10 more zeta. The only thing that I have more than him is number of toons and number of 7 stars (which most are g1 lvl 1, just for the sake of my guild in TB).

So am I supposed to fight zetaed G12 teams with waves of lvl 1 teams ?

The matchmaking needs to be changed to not be based only on GP. Checking at least the number of geared characters and zetas should be included in the equation. Or else change the GP values to reflect the real difference between levels and gear (seriously three our four 7 stars character lvl 1 shouldn't be worth as much as a g12 toon...).
    It's really not about wining or loosing, it's about having fun. It's a game alright ? Because I bet neither me nor my oponent will have any fun in this match.
    I don't mind a challenge, I don't mind loosing a fair fight, but I really don't see the point in puting two uneven players against each other.
  • UdalCuain
    4991 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm in the same boat, as are several in my guild. GP matches closely, within a couple of hundred or so in most cases. But that seems to be the only thing taken into account. Better matchmaking would include G12 characters, the characters at the pinnacle of the power creep and mod status.

That said, the mode looks fun and looking forward to the offence phase. Good place to try new teams I've built (seen as GW is way to easy to do that nowadays) without potentially screwing my guild over.
  • my stats
    mj6zt0c5gszm.jpg

opponent stats
    qt8thgr6ucjf.jpg
    set 6 defences and im done what a joke this is much worse than TW
  • What is considered in the calculation? Highest GP reached or actual GP? Because in old GW it was highest arena team score with one victory (with protection and health) that was considered. I took out my mods from weak toons and now am below 4M GP but my stats shows 4M GP
  • Yes, the Galactic Power is similar, but the teams are not similar as it was promised. Moreover, the fleet is counted but not used in the Grand Arena. This means that if I have a strong fleet and my opponnent doesn't have it, the opponent will have an advantage.
  • My total GP: 1 867 672
    My arena GP: 1 024 934

My opponent's total GP: 1 867 024
    My opponent's arena GP: 1 219 991

My fleet is stronger, but it's not used in the Grand Arena. So, in fact my opponent's GP is 200k higher than mine because of the fleet.
  • Again, punishing the good guys (just like with the Nest+Jango updates).
    -Spending a lot of money on fleet? Hah, youll suffer for it by having no chance at grandarena!

Why not be nice to the people, who invest and buys stuff?
  • @CG_SBCrumb @CG_Carrie please fix Sion. He’s very broken with the new update, and taunting toons that don’t have pain!!!
  • I’m about to get crushed... I don’t have Revan or Traya, and this player has 2x as many G12s and zetas.. Why aren’t these taken into consideration? GP matchup is pointless if one player has all of the endgame toons maxed out vs me with nothing in comparison.

8c23gxrdwfo2.jpeg
  • Using GP for matchmaking is a very simplistic and ineffective approach. Without any additional variables the algorithm has no way to distinguish between a long-term F2P user and a new whale.

One of previously stated core tenets of the design team was not to punish users for gearing/levelling up characters (see Paper Zombie), yet that is exactly what is happening in this game mode as well as Territory War. Did you level up Ugnaught for the pre-Jedi Ground Assault? Got a pimped out Jawa Engineer from the Droid meta? Sucks to be you, because that is equivalent to Range Trooper and Bastila Fallen in the eyes of the algorithm.

This game mode is forcing me to remove mods from the ~90 worst characters on my roster in hopes of lowering my GP and getting a fair matchup (only to re-equip them for TBs). There's clearly been a poor design choice if your user base is being forced to make their roster worse on a regular basis.

I got a matchup where my opponent has 3x G12 characters and 2x Zetas because he started playing the game much later and spent a lot of money (and skipped gearing/leveling characters like Jawas, Tuskens, early Sith/Jedi, etc.). If there is no intent to rework characters that are obsolete to make them useful, please give us a way to exempt them from TW/Grand Arena rosters so we aren't punished for being long-time users.
  • Is that really going to make a difference? Our opponents would have the same ability.

I think this person is saying before the attack phase starts, which I agree with.

It makes sense in TW that you could throw your guildmates off by placing a squad and then removing, but in a 1v1 environment why can't you remove and replace? For instance, the person above who accidentally left JTR off their resistance team by placing a squad. Who gets hurt by letting that person alter their lineup until the 24 clock for setting defense is up?

Not a huge deal either way and it certainly won't change my enjoyment, but one of those things that seems easy enough to do to make the game player friendly. Maybe a suggestion for the next update as several people have mentioned it. @CG_SBCrumb
  • SenjiD wrote: »
    When I saw last night who is my opponent in the Grand Arena, I can confirm that this is not based on GP, since my GP is just little above 2,1 million, while my opponent is just a little below 4 mils.
    Who doesn't believe, check for yourself
    x7bkjilzav9c.png

Him: hvurovtxwl71.png

Me: fudjmza30frg.png

Have you viewed your opponents roster in game? You can do so through the rewards tab. Myabe there are more than 1 R2D3s.

But if that's the match you got, that sucks
  • LynnYoda wrote: »
    my stats
    mj6zt0c5gszm.jpg

opponent stats
    qt8thgr6ucjf.jpg

If you add the g11 and g12 together, it's closer than you think
  • I think we all need to take a breath and relax a little bit on the matchmaking algorithm. Remember, that won-loss record is also something that is going to come into play as the season progresses. So if you lose this one, next matchup you'll be paired with someone that's 0-1, just like you. This implies your next opponent will also have some roster "shortfalls" just like you. Meanwhile, your current round opponent might lose and now you're both sitting at 1-1, which swings the "injustice" towards the other end of the spectrum.

This is a tournament. There will be a champion. At some point we will have to face "stronger" competition in the same GP range. Most of us will lose at that point, as there is almost always someone stronger. You can lose to a more focused roster this round, or you can lose to a more focused roster next round. Either way, you're probably going to lose at some point.

• LynnYoda wrote: »
    my stats
    mj6zt0c5gszm.jpg

opponent stats
    qt8thgr6ucjf.jpg

Your opponent chose to focus on G12, you chose to focus on the lower end of your roster. You have spent the same amount of resources. Your opponent spent them in one place, you spread them around.
    Seems fair..

eq0agzgc4me8.png

Are you sure you're looking at the right player? There can be players with the same name. I originally thought something like this happened too, but then looked at the player via the "rewards" button on the Grand Arena screen to realize I had the wrong player on swgoh.gg.

• Wish there was a way to start sooner, like after both players have set defenses. It makes sense to allot 24 hours when coordinating a full guild but not 2 players.

Also, ships please!
  • Pretty lame attempt at new content, a miniature version of tw... Wow so creative. Rewards look terrible too hopefully that's not all there is
  • I'm going to actually defend the use of gp as the match making metric.

First, it's simple. If they try to pair all the components of your roster as some would want, it gets overly complicated and more likely to have bugs.

Second, gp is a good measure of how many resources you put into the game, be it time or money. It seems fair you're matched against those that had the same amount of resources put into their roster. If they have more g12 or zetas or 7 star characters or traya. That's on you. You have equilivant resources so you could have made better choices.

And power creep can be addressed through reworks so that those that have played longer can use older teams. Most shouldn't be made meta but they could get a buff without breaking the game.
  • Would it be possible to matchmake based of the total gp of each players top I dunno 30 toons that way wood bee far more = ?
  • Commander_Wolffe
    211 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    My opponent:
    • 730k character GP
    • 107k ship GP

Me:
    • 427k character GP
    • 442k ship GP (includes 5* Chimeria ~35k received today after lockout)

This algorithm is only total GP and not just characters.

I'm fighting someone at nearly twice my character GP in character only combat.

Why not take the top 30 (3x5 def + 3x5 atk) characters GP and use that?
  • I got mismatched, too, but guys, come on, you're over-reacting...

The format is something that can change from event to event. We're seeing the absolute most basic version of it right now just so peopel get an idea of how it works. It's not going to be "plop down six squads" every time. They can alter where the squads go, they can alter squad composition requirements, they can alter if fleets are added. A large part of my mismatch is a result of ships (My total GP is about 100k higher than my opponent's, but if you look at just characters I'm about 400k lower than him) and that's frustrating and definitely feedback I'm going to give, but it's not necessarily a killer going forward.

Secondly, because this is the most absolute basic version of the event, we're only fighting one person one time. Normally there will be 8 or 5. This means if you're grossly mismatched in this iteration of the event, when it starts for real there will be 6 (or 3) other people that you will be matched against in which the matchmaking will be different. Better? Maybe. Worse? Probably not. The point is that you need more points of data than just one match. Again--this is important and valuable feedback to give, but nothing to get up in arms about.

What people SHOULD be getting up in arms about is that this mode fails in its primary objective: It's supposed to reward people with deep rosters. But, unfortunately, it's punishing them. Not just because of the fleets thing (which is well-covered, so I won't go into that more) but because a well-developed, deep roster will necessarily mean your gear has been spread out over a winder area of characters, but you're actively discouraged by the game mechanics from using those characters--you get fewer banners from winning on the second or third battle, so you need more great characters than you need many okay characters.

Every character on my bench is at least g8 and level 85, my opponent has a bunch of g1, level 1, 3 star characters that he hasn't bothered with, but those are offset by a greater amount of g12 double zeta characters. How can I hope to beat that, no matter how good my Jawa squad is?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.