[MEGA] General Grievous’ Leadership and Damage Clarifications

Prev13456710
CG_SBCrumb
685 posts EA Community Manager
edited February 2019
Hi Holotable Heroes,

There has been some confusion around the rework of General Grievous and several posts concerned that the damage Grievous can deal is less than what has been shown to be possible in the footage we provided for preview videos.

What this has revealed to us is that we need to give more information and be clearer about character intent. While we generally avoid it, because we don’t want to be prescriptive, and because quite honestly, we are fearful of posting something that is wrong later, or can be beaten another way - understanding our intentions will help you all make decisions about how to use these characters as you see fit. We will work to formalize this kind of post moving forward.

Two key parts of the kit to keep in mind:
  • His Basic Attack, Furious Assault, deals damage based on his Max Health
  • His Unique, Metalloid Monstrosity, increases his max health each turn

This means General Grievous' should be solely modded for health if you are looking to maximize damage. With max gear, max abilities, and 6 dot mods (3 Health sets, 2 Health primaries, and 1 Critical Damage primary), the Grievous in the sample footage had around 65,000 health. This is not the usual modding strategy for attackers which traditionally care about Speed and Damage, and may seem counterintuitive to people first picking up the kit. Additionally, when looking at the damage in the footage, keep in mind that Grievous' unique, "Metalloid Monstrosity", increases his Max Health throughout the fight. As such, Grievous' damage will look different at the start of a battle compared with the end of the battle.

We have also seen reports that General Grievous’ Leadership, Daunting Presence, is not decreasing the enemy team’s armor but we didn’t find any issues during our investigation and given the damage variance of all attacks and the way armor is calculated, many characters, such as B1, already have enough defensive penetration naturally to overcome the damage mitigation from armor without any assistance.

As for Grievous' -50% Defense on his Leadership specifically, it won’t have a noticeable impact on targets with low armor. In general, this is very difficult to detect the impact of armor penetration as most PvP and PvE units have little armor to mitigate. However, you can test this with units that have a large amount of armor like the Heroic Sith Triumvirate Raid version of Sion or against player-obtainable Sith Trooper, Stormtrooper, and CT-5555 "Fives" in order to see a more observable difference.

Hopefully this clarifies some things, as always keep providing your feedback. We have addressed several of the issues that came up yesterday in today’s hotfix, and will continue to monitor and make any appropriate changes.

<<ORIGINAL POST>>
Post edited by CG_SBCrumb on

Replies

• Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Regardless, you guys did GG wrong. I guess you want Jedi Knight Revenue to have 90% of the meta....it’s killing arena.

I sank some money and zetas into his team. I feel mislead. Give the GC back their good test accounts so they can properly test these things out for us.
  • I really appreciate the open communication demonstrated in this post.
  • The scrap man will love GG.
  • Sad thing is is that I was ready to spend some real cash to get this team as I am sure others were as well, but this is disgusting. Waited 3 years for him to return to the droid heap. What was the whole point in reworking him now?
  • Well at least I have a new GA/TW team, thanks CG.
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Sad thing is is that I was ready to spend some real cash to get this team as I am sure others were as well, but this is disgusting. Waited 3 years for him to return to the droid heap. What was the whole point in reworking him now?

I was also ready to spend money on this team...
  • I have 5/6 g12 and 3 health sets with two 6e health primary mods and I only have 60k. They must have some real good health secondary stats on all their mods as well.

Dishonest marketing showing a team with completely optimal mods that will take players weeks to farm with how tough mod farming is.
  • Why won’t you just admit you did a bait and switch? You know exactly what you did. If everything is working as intended then this squad is absolute gutter trash and you never should have pretended it could compete with Revan. Shame on you.
  • I want to to know just how bad the mods on that Revan team were in the video you gave us.
  • I’m glad y’all finally addressed this after almost 24 hours. Better late than never.

You marketed the rework as being viable based on the footage you released. You technically never said it would be meta or even dominant against some teams. But the implication of the video clips are misleading. In reality how many times will anyone be able to reliably stack up the GG special enough to hit that hard without already loosing half your team by that point. I don’t recall if you posted the speed of the enemy team (against monkeys with no mods I could see that working). RNG plays a huge roll when fighting Jedi. If revan targets GG or B1 on his opening turn you have 0 chance of recovering.

From a lore standpoint this is garbage. A Jedi killer should be able to reliably kill Jedi.

From a game balance standpoint this is garbage. I have been around since game launch and believe the most enjoyable metas have been those where 3 or 4 teams are nearly equally viable and counter each other. Y’all know revan has been too dominant at the top for too long (longer than any other meta I believe). This was a really good opportunity to change it to at least 3 viable teams. All that needed to happen was for GG to be able to counter Revan. GG doesn’t need to counter anyone else. But the lore of GG would fit this role of bringing balance to the arena really easily.

If balance was your intent please fix what ever is wrong. If it wasn’t then why did you even bother with it in the first place. Those who have been around long enough to get GG also have other teams that are better for the other modes of the game other than arena. For those who spend money on this game and pay your bills: why bother with packs for separatists since you will get barely any value out of it?
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    It sounds like GG is basically intended to be a Raid Character... I've been waiting to decide who to gear, GG and his droids, or finish off my Revan squad. So I'm glad I have my answer. It is still puzzling as to why it was so difficult to unlock GG back in the day. It took months of shard store currency farming to unlock him and he has never been worth it.
  • @CG_SBCrumb are you allowed to speak honestly or answer criticisms directly? The playerbase is asking you why you marketed Grievous and his separatist droid team as a Revan counter. You did not show footage of the grievous team fighting anything remotely comparably modded to itself for it to have been winning so handily. I'm asking you directly if you believe that you did not mislead the community into wasting rare resource materials like zetas in some cases and actual cash in other cases to upgrade these droids in anticipation of countering revan in arena. Well? I'll wait.
  • SixTwoFour
    13 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I'm sorry this post is not telling the truth. I have G12+ GG 65k health with all 6e Health Mods and Health Primaries and I cant replicate those numbers against Revan teams unless GG is on his own with 4 dead droid bodies. And to those saying at least you got a TW team - you definitely don't have a defensive team that's for sure. Also how patronising does CG want to be explaining mod management to us.
  • VallejoMach
    39 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Well, Ahnald's footage had him around 60k health and 6e mods and he was still garbage. Oh well, guess they won't be selling too many droideka and B1 packs.

On the other hand, can't say hopes were high to begin with. Following hype trains is nearly always an exercise in futility and who on Earth thought a couple of old freely available characters and a couple of rushed out 3* marquees was going to somehow topple a top-end, formerly $500 pay-to-win, Hero Journey character anyway?
  • In this interview with CG staff (https://radiofreetatooine.com/galactic-war-report-episode-140-palp-my-ride-with-cg_svengg-and-cg_prophet/) it is stated "Grievous is going to, I hope, exceed expectations", you mustn't have been on same page as the player base after we saw the preview footage because this has been one of the most heartbreaking reworks I've seen for the community.
    Thanks for a long grind for a new B team for TW/GA though, I'm glad GG isn't hitting like a wet noodle (Not that he hits anything like the preview footage) and B1 is pretty cool.
  • Great. They just buffed Revan even more against GG teams, as he will no longer try to mark droideka when he has damage immunity. It’s like they are not even trying to cover up the fact that they want GG to lose.
  • I don't understand the point of his rework, grievous rework? what a joke. I wish I could get my gear/omegas/zetas back
  • My issues to be frank is arena is getting stale with a meta of all the same team. It wouldn’t be so bad if Grand arena was every week because that would keep my mind occupied but it’s not and you can’t even try other teams because it’s that oppressive. And anything that comes out in the future can be direct focused by revan which basically annihilates a toon. I’m not sure direct focus would be that oppressive if revan was a slower character so you can actually take a turn or mark was dispellable so Grevious unique actually worked. Just my thoughts
    IGN: RANKMAN
    Line: xSNAKEMAN
  • Andril wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Sad thing is is that I was ready to spend some real cash to get this team as I am sure others were as well, but this is disgusting. Waited 3 years for him to return to the droid heap. What was the whole point in reworking him now?

I was also ready to spend money on this team...

I had $200 in iTunes gift cards saved for my first marquee whale out. I guess I’ll just farm Droideka when it’s available.
  • There are a few things i'll mention:

1. i'm a droid fan. You don't want my 600$, fine.
    2. the footage you provided was 100% misleading because... guess what, we know how to mod GG too and with more HP and a CD triangle mine was doing like 1/3 of the damage you were showing
    3. this post is the living proof that you are trying to "excuse" yourselves for lying blatantly about the whole thing.
  • AKAren
    40 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Deleted for being wrong. My bad.
    Post edited by AKAren on
  • "What this has revealed to us is that we need to give more information and be clearer on character intent"
    "We are fearful of posting something that is wrong later"
    PICK ONE AND ONLY ONE.

Clearly communication is a huge problem. When Carrie first arrived, she went above and beyond to assure us that it will be improved. This is what brought us to appreciate CG, and we set aside the pitchforks.
    As of lately, the only communication occuring is a random post clumping everything together, and off to the weekend it is(Finn annoucement). I understand the prior to weekend posts, it gives the community hivemind a chance to digest and process the information, and compile your work week for you. There is 0 of actual interaction with community and the concerns this community voices. This is what is breaking our trust, and causing you to fear making any annoucements. The good faith we have given you in the beginning is being devalued when the community is ignored.
  • Revan just got alot better on defense, these droids don't stand a chance even at 7* fully geared/modded

"Fixed a bug where Jedi Knight Revan's "Direct Focus" would not properly target units without Taunt, Marked, or Damage Immunity."

Again what was the point of this rework?????
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    I sank some money and zetas into his team. I feel mislead. Give the GC back their good test accounts so they can properly test these things out for us.

MobileGamer has a video up from his test account where he used various top teams to attack a fully maxed, fully moded GG/droid team. They have test accounts and are able to properly test things. If some of the GCs don't want to spend the time to get characters or teams put together on the test accounts, that's on them.
  • You provided footage showing that this team was arena viable. It is not. That is bait and switch. I hate that this game has become Star Wars: Galaxy of Old Republic and I’m considering taking my ball and going home. This is such a poorly managed company it’s stupid.
    Ooba hutar.
  • Athen_Greeco
    142 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    1. ‘Droids aren’t meta — yet’ comment
    2. Labeling GG as Jedi killer
    3. Showing a video of GG as a Revan killer

____

After I and countless others use resources (zetas, gear, mods and all that it requires to get to 6dot)... we discover after the release of the final characters that;

1. Droids aren’t meta
    2. GG is not a Jedi Killer
    3. GG is not a Revan killer

____

After all the hype and wait, just this. This.

If GG was designed for HSTR Sion, why not use that footage for your video coverage ?

Real life gameplay does not allow GG to get super charged to be a Jedi Killer.

____

I geared up GG, Magna, B1 and B2’s to 7stars and G12+... I was excited to do the same for Droideka...

but now, it does not appear to be what was marketed, labeled or covered as... these aren’t the droids we were looking for — or the droids that we were led to believe were coming
  • At the very least, players should be refunded Zetas that were put into these characters based on false advertisement
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Did CG just admit their doctored garbage footage was wrong?
    I think we're making progress people!
    Post edited by CaptainRex on
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • EduardoCadav
    390 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    AKAren wrote: »
    Daishiva wrote: »
    I have 5/6 g12 and 3 health sets with two 6e health primary mods and I only have 60k. They must have some real good health secondary stats on all their mods as well.

Dishonest marketing showing a team with completely optimal mods that will take players weeks to farm with how tough mod farming is.

GG gets almost 60% of his health with 4 pieces of g12/g12+ gear. At 45k+ health, health % secondaries are the way to go. There’s no way to get that high with straight # health secondaries.

I have a health set with 2.5 to 4.5% secondaries which would have put GG around 69k health (only 1 6 dot and not in a health primary) so his health is possible to get high, but I’m now saving those g12 pieces.

5 x g12 pieces = 25,750 out of 45,627 max health.
    52.37% health in the set I had reserved for him = 69,522

It's not really important at this point @AKAren but thought I'd let you know that actually you wouldn't be getting that high health unfortunately. That's because the only part that 52.37% from your mods applies to is the health from pre-gear 12 peices. So your total health calculation is roughly 19877 + 19877 * 0.5237 + 25750 = 56037.

The actual calculation is a bit more convoluted as the 16*40 = 640 health you get from the strength on the multitool is infact included when calculating the % added from mods.. but that's a pretty small difference of arround 320 health or so.

Anyways, like I said, not important but thought I'd let you know incase you do gear up and mod and get less health than expected at the end of it.

Edit: rather important miss typing of one of the numbers, sorry.