Please make Darth Revan extremely hard to get

Replies

• I don’t like this because it pertains to a Hero’s Journey. Chewbacca and C-3PO were different—though we don’t have much leeway when choosing Ewoks and Bounty Hunters, we still aren’t pidheonholed into farming the EXACT same team.

• O
    CazNeerg wrote: »
    Where exactly are all these free players who just recently joined the game and have managed to 7 star all the required characters for Darth Revan? Pretty sure that population is a figment of the imagination.

New players have enough other things to get that they don’t take the risk of dropping everything else to chase a character than might not even come. And that’s ok. New players have enough going on. They don’t need to be able to get Darth Revan and do everything else too.

Exactly. On my main account, I hoarded crystals and got the characters to 7 stars ftp without too much difficulty. But on my alt there's just no way without dropping a ton of cash. You have to get to all the nodes first. Carth is on a fleet node so you have to be level 60 and have ships unlocked to even as attempt his farm. So I'd say you'd have to be in the game at least 3 or 4 months before you can even have a shot. Even then you likely don't have the crystals to make it a go. Not to mention anything even at thrawn difficulty you need to be level 80 or so to have a shot. And unless you do ridiculous energy refreshes for cash, yit takes 4 to 6 months to reach lvl 85.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    edited March 2019

And yes traya is cake. Longevity does not equal difficulty. But longevity does equal traya.

If "longevity" is actually valid here then getting Darth Revan will be cake too....in 2020.

A full year to get 4 characters to 7stars ...and another one that literally is just a matter of longevity.

Context people. 4 months after JKR was released and there are many ftp with 7 star revans. How many 7 star Trayas were there 4 months after the sith raid was released held by those just registering 0s?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Javin37 wrote: »

And yes traya is cake. Longevity does not equal difficulty. But longevity does equal traya.

If "longevity" is actually valid here then getting Darth Revan will be cake too....in 2020.

A full year to get 4 characters to 7stars ...and another one that literally is just a matter of longevity.

Context people. 4 months after JKR was released and there are many ftp with 7 star revans. How many 7 star Trayas were there 4 months after the sith raid was released held by those just registering 0s?

in all fairness, you should say 4 months after the first player got a 7* traya. That's gonna a be a bit closer to eachother.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Stokat
    822 posts Member
    I hope it will be a hard one too. I won’t get darth revan this time around regardless but it’s more fun to beat challenges when they are, well challenging, rather than just “get the right toons to 7* and auto win” like with JKR.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

in all fairness, you should say 4 months after the first player got a 7* traya. That's gonna a be a bit closer to eachother.

I should not.

The context which was lost was that traya was harder.

If the participation trophy crowd wishes to move the goal posts then I'll humor them and reassure them getting Darth Revan a year from now will be "cake".
  • Stop trying to resist it. People who have invested enough to get DR first time, will also have enough gear collected/crystals for gear that will assure getting him first time.
    Mandating high gear for unlock will not prevent anyone from getting him. Its just wasting resources and inflating GP, thats all it would do.
    UnlockIng it FTP, no arguments.
  • Then it’s just a bunch of DR mirror fights. If your goal is less mirror fights, you should probably be rooting for DR to be pretty rare, and for JKR to not be able to win on offense, but other factions can. This way you have a few DR teams and then several other teams that counter it scattered throughout arena.
    Unless they can manage to somehow make DR overpowered against JKR but weak to other meta's like NS and Rebels, maybe even somehow make Resistance good against them.

I mean really the only thing that could possibly fix balancing would be to Nerf JKR. The only other option is to push out new toons that are not hard to achieve to create a new set of meta's, push out a Jedi Knight Luke for rebels, a new Rey for Resistance, new Clones to make a galactic republic. But alas, it won't happen, this will be another cash cow for them that they can't Nerf because everyone is spending real money on them and they can't upset their cash paying customers so they gotta leave them OP.
  • W
    ssj4tim wrote: »
    Then it’s just a bunch of DR mirror fights. If your goal is less mirror fights, you should probably be rooting for DR to be pretty rare, and for JKR to not be able to win on offense, but other factions can. This way you have a few DR teams and then several other teams that counter it scattered throughout arena.
    Unless they can manage to somehow make DR overpowered against JKR but weak to other meta's like NS and Rebels, maybe even somehow make Resistance good against them.

It wouldn’t really be that difficult. There are plenty of ways. Theories so far are that DR might eliminate lesser abilities in some way. If that’s the case, teams with strong individual characters might shine where they don’t need a leader ability (ex: Thrawn, CLS, Wampa, Nest). They could also do things like punish buffs or characters attacking outside their turn to counter JKR while leaving many other teams unaffected.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Then it’s just a bunch of DR mirror fights. If your goal is less mirror fights, you should probably be rooting for DR to be pretty rare, and for JKR to not be able to win on offense, but other factions can. This way you have a few DR teams and then several other teams that counter it scattered throughout arena.

it would kinda suck if DRevan will be easily beatable by those teams though. I dislike fighting mirror matches, but i dislike dropping like a rock on defense even more.
  • leef wrote: »

it would kinda suck if DRevan will be easily beatable by those teams though. I dislike fighting mirror matches, but i dislike dropping like a rock on defense even more.

If I was designing this game I would try to make it so that teams always had a kryptonite and design it so the new meta was weak to a currently unpopular faction. Maybe even pair it for a rework. For example, be weak against Clones or Jawas or something.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

If I was designing this game I would try to make it so that teams always had a kryptonite and design it so the new meta was weak to a currently unpopular faction. Maybe even pair it for a rework. For example, be weak against Clones or Jawas or something.

I'd like to see that in effect before i can pass judgement. It could work, but i'm not sure.
    My main concern is that you'll become a target if you run the "anti meta" for all those others who weren't able to get the meta team and don't have/aren't willing to get the anti meta team either and are still running the old meta. You're basically better prepared than those guys, but you'll get used as a stepping stone because they rather fight you than others who're also still running the old meta aswell as the new meta which they're unable to beat.
  • AndySCovell
    770 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I agree with the OP. This guys shouldn’t be a F2P toons so now Arena is flooded with Darth Revans. This needs to be a difficult event.

The only people that are upset about this post are typically the ones that haven’t dropped a dime on this game.

And those late to the farm party.
  • I agree with the OP. This guys shouldn’t be a F2P toons so now Arena is flooded with Darth Revans. This needs to be a difficult event.

The only people that are upset about this post are typically the ones that haven’t dropped a dime on this game.

It doesn't need to be difficult to not be available to truly free players. Actually free players don't have developed enough squads to earn the necessary amount of free crystals to complete the Carth farm, regardless of whether they finish the others. Those that claim they do (if there are any) are probably full of it.
  • Anything that clears out some of the riff raff people are seeing in shards is ok by me
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I agree with the OP. This guys shouldn’t be a F2P toons so now Arena is flooded with Darth Revans. This needs to be a difficult event.

It doesn't need to be difficult to not be available to truly free players. Actually free players don't have developed enough squads to earn the necessary amount of free crystals to complete the Carth farm, regardless of whether they finish the others. Those that claim they do (if there are any) are probably full of it.

It's hard if you've been playing for 3+ years, but not as hard as you may think. Obviously you need to finish high in arena and you need to have started farming carth (with a node refresh) when he was made farmable, which eliminates the overwhelming majority of f2p players, so in that sense it's difficult.
    However, ever since the JKR release it became clear you needed to hoard alot of crystals if you didn't want to miss the next big release. Quite a few f2p players, myself included, did exactly that. I'm at 40/100 on carth and 17/100 on juhani with still 27.4k crystals left.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I just hope it isn't an RNG fest, however difficult or not it is

The entire game is an RNG fest. Welcome to the forums! ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef wrote: »

It's hard if you've been playing for 3+ years, but not as hard as you may think. Obviously you need to finish high in arena and you need to have started farming carth (with a node refresh) when he was made farmable, which eliminates the overwhelming majority of f2p players, so in that sense it's difficult.
    However, ever since the JKR release it became clear you needed to hoard alot of crystals if you didn't want to miss the next big release. Quite a few f2p players, myself included, did exactly that. I'm at 40/100 on carth and 17/100 on juhani with still 27.4k crystals left.

I'm just skeptical that it's "quite a few" free players. I don't think there are that many who would ever even think to hoard crystals. I think a lot of people who don't understand how atypical their behavior is are making baseless assumptions about what level of attention other people pay to likely future character releases, and what level of preparation they are willing to commit to.

I also don't think people who spent a lot of money in the past in order to get to the position where they can earn lots of "free" crystals should be called "F2P" just because they may not have spent money directly on a given farm.
  • Right- jus going to drop my opinion, and leave it to be massacred... I will not be getting darth reven this time around, and at the rate of my farming, won’t get it next time round either, but for those f2p players, who saved crystals and are getting dr, the event shouldn’t be chewie difficulty. Around that, to get you to gear up the characters anyway, but not that difficulty, more like thrawn mythic tier 3 difficulty. Hard if you don’t have the correct gear, easy if you do (same for mods). Chewie was more rng that gear as well. I mean, the gear helped loads, but if they all went for your weakest character, so it was a 4 v 5.
    For the p2p players, this shouldn’t be a concern anyway. This is what most people say about this game though. Even if no one pained any money what so ever, whilst cg would make a huge loss, they would still get money from the game, https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/free-to-play-games-make-money.htm ...
  • usArmyJedi wrote: »
    Anyone hope the difficulty is really really up there. Harder than Chewbacca and harder than C-3PO? I’ve had Carth, Juhani, BSF, and Canderous g12’d and zeta’d for months now. So maybe I’m biased to say but I’m really not looking forward to starting off the DR meta similar to what we have now due to how much time players have gotten to farm these characters. If the requirement is not up there (at least g11-12 and a zeta or 2) then I foresee DR meta starting off at 60-70% of meta on the first release. Please don’t reward FTP with 4-6 months of viablity.

Agree wholeheartedly
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

I'm just skeptical that it's "quite a few" free players. I don't think there are that many who would ever even think to hoard crystals. I think a lot of people who don't understand how atypical their behavior is are making baseless assumptions about what level of attention other people pay to likely future character releases, and what level of preparation they are willing to commit to.

I also don't think people who spent a lot of money in the past in order to get to the position where they can earn lots of "free" crystals should be called "F2P" just because they may not have spent money directly on a given farm.

It depends on your definition of “quite a few,” but there’s a very big difference between saying “not that many people can or will actually do this” and saying that the people who say they have done it are “probably full of it.”
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member

You're wrong.

I focused on getting resistance for HAAT...that enabled me to focus on getting JTR. That enabled me to be in a guild that was clearing heroic sith raid early on and for me to do well in it.

With that I was able to build a traya team without spending a dime.

With that team I placed in the top spots in arena. I hoarded crystals and gear. That enabled me to get revan in October. That enabled me to plan and work towards the next meta the past few months.

It's a shame that some probably bought into this idea that planning and effort are a waste of time and only spending results in success. It prevented them from getting ahead.

• Jaden
    162 posts Member
    The sense of entitlement on both sides hurts my head.
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    The Chewie event was loaded on RNG to the point where I beat the 7s with all 5 BH at full health/prot, so if this was my 1st run, I could also claim the event was a complete joke. I have never moved my arena mods over for any event, ever.

Truth is I would get stomped by their opening salvo all the time, losing 2 and sometimes even 4 characters before I could take a turn. I had 4 BH at g12 and I was rotating the 5th to see who performed better - ended up beating with a g8 Cad Bane...
  • Liath wrote: »

It depends on your definition of “quite a few,” but there’s a very big difference between saying “not that many people can or will actually do this” and saying that the people who say they have done it are “probably full of it.”

It depends on how you define free. Not many can or will manage to unlock Darth Revan without spending money on doing so, but the ones I am categorizing as "probably full of it" are the ones who would claim to be "free players" who are unlocking Darth Revan. I wouldn't consider someone who has spent a bunch of money in the past in order to reach the point where they have a substantial crystal income to be a free player just because they aren't *currently* spending money. They are just paid players who did their paying earlier.

You're wrong.

I focused on getting resistance for HAAT...that enabled me to focus on getting JTR. That enabled me to be in a guild that was clearing heroic sith raid early on and for me to do well in it.

With that I was able to build a traya team without spending a dime.

With that team I placed in the top spots in arena. I hoarded crystals and gear. That enabled me to get revan in October. That enabled me to plan and work towards the next meta the past few months.

It's a shame that some probably bought into this idea that planning and effort are a waste of time and only spending results in success. It prevented them from getting ahead.

Only spending results in success without an extremely high level of planning and dedication. If that weren't the case, a lot fewer people would spend. Do you honestly think there are enough people who approach the game the way you do that they would need to require G12 on the Darth Revan event in order to prevent a large number of people from getting him? Because that was the premise of this thread, that without the event having a high gear requirement, there is going to be some massive flood of Darth Revan unlocks.
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member

...and to me it seems most of the ones begging for a hard event are the poor little rich boys/girls, who feel entitled to an exclusive character for burning a Patek Philippe worth in a video game, so they can have their "I'm so awesome" moment hitting auto and beating anything in arena.

For any mostly ftp player - some of us try really, really hard -, meta characters have never been easy to get on the 1st run and effort MUST be rewarded, not only buying your way into everything.
  • Here's what they should do:
    Make Jedi Luke cost $2000/month to use. Can't use crystals, direct purchase only. Only character that can beat JL is another JL.
    Then,
    Give HK a rework that makes Grevious arena viable.
    Make DR a solid character that holds well against high co-op teams (revan cls) but can be taken down by individually tough characters (traya, scoundrels)

Whales are happy because they don't have to worry about losing to a ftp, ftp is happy with a diverse and challenging meta.
  • I don’t think they will be the new meta but just offer a another option. Relax, it will be fine. Farm Sith ships to get his capital ship.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Only spending results in success without an extremely high level of planning and dedication. If that weren't the case, a lot fewer people would spend. Do you honestly think there are enough people who approach the game the way you do that they would need to require G12 on the Darth Revan event in order to prevent a large number of people from getting him? Because that was the premise of this thread, that without the event having a high gear requirement, there is going to be some massive flood of Darth Revan unlocks.

You're wrong again. It didn't take an extremely high level of planning and dedication at all.

Building a resistance team to do well in HAAT wasn't extreme...it was basic planning vs "only those that spend or live and breathe this game can do well in HAAT" and did nothing but keep repeating that defeatist line while just "hitting join".

Do I "think" there are many that have learned by now to save resources and focus on the next meta?
    I know there are many people that have seen this pattern over and over and started working towards it the moment Bastila Fallen was released.

If it's not very difficult it will be a flood of Darth Revans. Absolutely. You really think only a few people that missed out on revan the first time were going to ignore this one when Fallen Bastila was released?

It will be as common as Chewie was the first time out...which I didn't get because I was focused on Revan and not bounty hunters. I hope I am wrong about that...I hope all the people asking what gear level will be needed are just making conversation and not asking because they are close to having all 5 at 7*s

Focus and be consistent and you won't have to spend a dime to be in on the next meta.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Here's what they should do:
    Make Jedi Luke cost $2000/month to use. Can't use crystals, direct purchase only. Only character that can beat JL is another JL.
    Then,
    Give HK a rework that makes Grevious arena viable.
    Make DR a solid character that holds well against high co-op teams (revan cls) but can be taken down by individually tough characters (traya, scoundrels)

Whales are happy because they don't have to worry about losing to a ftp, ftp is happy with a diverse and challenging meta.

That’s a horrible idea. Sorry.