Please make Darth Revan extremely hard to get

Replies

• CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    JasFonz wrote: »
    I don’t understand the « No »
    Isn’t it fun to actually have a challenge in the game? Rather than push all buttons and win. What makes Chewie and C3po so cool is the fact that you had to sweat to get them. Even more so if you managed with minimum requirements and the RNG gods loved you.
    The JKR event was such a joke, it felt dirty getting him. So dirty that I didn’t even bother gearing him up. Just used sith instead!!!
    Make the event hard, I can’t bare seeing every lame joe show up with a toon and make arena boring again. Plus what do FTP players do for the game apart from whining on forums?

Agree with your post. Except for you ragging on f2p. Without them, this game would never have gotten so massive.

Let's face it, the bigger the competition (read audience) the more you'll invest to stay ahead, the more money cg make, the better this game is.

F2p v p2p debate is stupid. You need each other to make this game what it is.
  • Nihion wrote: »
    Here's what they should do:
    Make Jedi Luke cost $2000/month to use. Can't use crystals, direct purchase only. Only character that can beat JL is another JL.
    Then,
    Give HK a rework that makes Grevious arena viable.
    Make DR a solid character that holds well against high co-op teams (revan cls) but can be taken down by individually tough characters (traya, scoundrels)

Whales are happy because they don't have to worry about losing to a ftp, ftp is happy with a diverse and challenging meta.

That’s a horrible idea. Sorry.

Sorry, I tried to lay the sarcasm on heavy enough for anyone to get. Apparently, I called.
  • Javin37 wrote: »
    Focus and be consistent and you won't have to spend a dime to be in on the next meta.

I don't care about the next meta. I don't care about the last meta. I don't even care about this meta. I just want Darth Revan because he is Darth Revan. Don't forget, as a percentage of the total player base, the number of people who are *ever* in the top tiers of squad arena is pretty small. The number who aren't but are trying to be probably isn't a whole hell of a lot bigger.
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    CosmicJ wrote: »
    JasFonz wrote: »
    I don’t understand the « No »
    Isn’t it fun to actually have a challenge in the game? Rather than push all buttons and win. What makes Chewie and C3po so cool is the fact that you had to sweat to get them. Even more so if you managed with minimum requirements and the RNG gods loved you.
    The JKR event was such a joke, it felt dirty getting him. So dirty that I didn’t even bother gearing him up. Just used sith instead!!!
    Make the event hard, I can’t bare seeing every lame joe show up with a toon and make arena boring again. Plus what do FTP players do for the game apart from whining on forums?

Agree with your post. Except for you ragging on f2p. Without them, this game would never have gotten so massive.

Let's face it, the bigger the competition (read audience) the more you'll invest to stay ahead, the more money cg make, the better this game is.

F2p v p2p debate is stupid. You need each other to make this game what it is.

Yup
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    CazNeerg wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. This guys shouldn’t be a F2P toons so now Arena is flooded with Darth Revans. This needs to be a difficult event.

The only people that are upset about this post are typically the ones that haven’t dropped a dime on this game.

And those late to the farm party.

It doesn't need to be difficult to not be available to truly free players. Actually free players don't have developed enough squads to earn the necessary amount of free crystals to complete the Carth farm, regardless of whether they finish the others. Those that claim they do (if there are any) are probably full of it.

Not true. You can do it with high arena placements. I started farming carth with a starting point of 5000 crystals (saved not bought). Did some shipments until i ran out of my crystal stash along side farming the node every day (1 refresh and 2 was sometimes possible). Finished carth this morning (my last OR character to 7*).

I understand not everyone has the time or patience to:

1. build a viable arena squad to start challenging current meta (it's not easy to do if you didn't start early)
    2. Get into your shard chat (by being competitive enough and being respectful)
    3. Continually research swgoh stuff to ensure you stay ahead of the curb and be prepared for the next meta.

But don't go telling me it can't be done or that Im full of it.
    Post edited by CosmicJ on
  • mvmss wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. This guys shouldn’t be a F2P toons so now Arena is flooded with Darth Revans. This needs to be a difficult event.

The only people that are upset about this post are typically the ones that haven’t dropped a dime on this game.

...and to me it seems most of the ones begging for a hard event are the poor little rich boys/girls, who feel entitled to an exclusive character for burning a Patek Philippe worth in a video game, so they can have their "I'm so awesome" moment hitting auto and beating anything in arena.

For any mostly ftp player - some of us try really, really hard -, meta characters have never been easy to get on the 1st run and effort MUST be rewarded, not only buying your way into everything.

Yeah you got me dead to rights. Haha

If you actually have been working at farming when the toons come out you likely will only have to spend at max $50. People spend $50 on dates, physical video games, and many other things. So while you are trying to insult people that spend money, maybe I should insult you for not spending yours.

The point I was trying to make with what the OP said is it honestly isn’t that much to spend some extra money and get him. Unlike Revan the first time around that cost $300-400.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Javin37 wrote: »
    Focus and be consistent and you won't have to spend a dime to be in on the next meta.

I don't care about the next meta. I don't care about the last meta. I don't even care about this meta. I just want Darth Revan because he is Darth Revan. Don't forget, as a percentage of the total player base, the number of people who are *ever* in the top tiers of squad arena is pretty small. The number who aren't but are trying to be probably isn't a whole hell of a lot bigger.

Well..chances are that revan is the next meta.

And those that aren't trying will get him eventually depending on their effort and consistency...
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    mvmss wrote: »

...and to me it seems most of the ones begging for a hard event are the poor little rich boys/girls, who feel entitled to an exclusive character for burning a Patek Philippe worth in a video game, so they can have their "I'm so awesome" moment hitting auto and beating anything in arena.

For any mostly ftp player - some of us try really, really hard -, meta characters have never been easy to get on the 1st run and effort MUST be rewarded, not only buying your way into everything.

Yeah you got me dead to rights. Haha

If you actually have been working at farming when the toons come out you likely will only have to spend at max $50. People spend $50 on dates, physical video games, and many other things. So while you are trying to insult people that spend money, maybe I should insult you for not spending yours.

The point I was trying to make with what the OP said is it honestly isn’t that much to spend some extra money and get him. Unlike Revan the first time around that cost $300-400.

Pesonally, for this farm in particular, I was able to get all characters to 7s by the 13th and it could have been earlier. I slowed down on the last few days and redirected energy into other farms for the long term. Farmed them on max efficiency with energy and buying shards to speed up carth.

I was able to farm ftp and I did a bit of panick farm, since tbis is the 1st time I'm able to get a real chance at a meta character from launch. March 14th was one of the possible starting dates, so I really rushed to get it done by then.

I burned around 11k of my stash, while placing 1 or 2 on both arenas, so the investment was significant.

While this was done burning crystals, but ftp, getting there was not. I have invested real money before to get where I am now - not a lot, but, still, I did. When you are not on top, it's very, very difficult to get up there with the top dogs, earning half or less of the crystal income they do.

...and, no. Though I could be wrong, the OP doesn't look like the frugal spender you describe, by having all said characters at 7s g12 for months, as he said so himself.
  • usArmyJedi wrote: »

See that’s why I need there to be a huge ceiling for this one. I’ve been playing this game since beta and have been contributing to this game for years. I’m 60k GP away from 5M. Some shmuck that just joined the game with 2m GP should not be able to compete with me for FREE. My 3 fastest mod sets are +162, +151, +143. There should be 0 reason why someone with 2m GP and half as good as mods as I should be overtaking me in arena just cause they feel like they are entitled to get DR for free. Make it difficult, very difficult. And make some sort of paywall.

Won’t everyone on your shard have been playing for just as long? If someone’s at 2mgp after starting out at beta, chances are they’re not farming as much, and certainly aren’t high up on you arena shard. Not sure what the complaint is here.
    Where are the Stun Guns?
  • Really doubt it can get any more difficult but...

CG: *hold my beer*
  • Let's not forget, there is no such thing as hard to get in this game if you are willing to spend. Only more or less expensive to get. A high gear requirement probably wouldn't deter people who already put in some combination of time and money to 7 star all the required characters. So the effect of the OP's request wouldn't be to significantly reduce the availability of Darth Revan, only to inflict some additional financial pain on a portion of the people who are going to get him anyway.
  • Tattz
    192 posts Member
    It should be the toughest event ever on the game that only fully maxed zetad god modded toons can beat imo
  • Vohbo
    332 posts Member
    Higher gear requirements do not make the event more challenging. They only mean that you require more gear (for most people this means spending more money).

If you want the event to be challenging, then the gear on the characters will have to be preset by the developers.

I think the ever increasing and more silly requirements of gear are terrible for free to play players and casual players. It needs to stop.
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Vohbo wrote: »
    Higher gear requirements do not make the event more challenging. They only mean that you require more gear (for most people this means spending more money).

If you want the event to be challenging, then the gear on the characters will have to be preset by the developers.

I think the ever increasing and more silly requirements of gear are terrible for free to play players and casual players. It needs to stop.

It's not more challenging in the sense that it requires more player skill... if you want a game that requires player skill, play StarCraft or any fps game.

This game is about proactive resource management, meticulous planning, timing, and educated guessing -OR- reactive spending.

I did mathematical calculations based on speculated dates, cost of node farm etc. worked out how many crystals i could farm for both carth and ju. Made sure i climbed as high as my time allowed each day in the arenas after their farms went onto nodes. Constantly checked my farm progress to make sure i was on target.
    Kept up with speculation, news and hype all the way along. Also checked swgoh gg and hoarded gear.

All in all it was actually a lot of work. Some would say, challenging. But i think this character will be powerful, and so imo this event should be limited to people who either put in the effort, or spend money.
  • The point is, while it may be midly F2P friendly, it's only F2P friendly to people who rank in the top of arena & have planned since the new character dropped as you said.

It's not F2P friendly for 95% of the player base. As I've said before, the problem is the people on the forum tend to be be more likely in that top 5%, as are the top of arena. Which is why people think it's too free to play friendly because it 'seems' like everybody is getting him this time around.

In reality, they are not - just the cutting edge.

Now, to say that somebody who's scored 1 in arena daily - used all his crystals to farm these characters since the second they were released, save some gear & read the forums, watched out for teasers shouldn't be considered worthy to get the character for months work . Just because they don't have 15 G12+ gear saved isn't reasonable.
  • KM1
    145 posts Member
    usArmyJedi wrote: »
    Please don’t reward FTP with 4-6 months of viablity.

Enjoy playing with yourselves. Oh wait, it's *by* yourselves....Whales who think you should be able to buy success! Yay! Small brains and smaller ... "hands"... Just open your wallets and try to cover your inadequacy in the other departments. Can't stand the competition from FTP, just whine about it and institute P2W! What a sad representative. Thank God there are whales who are more enlightened.
  • Tattz
    192 posts Member
    Difficulty should be 3po x10
  • The point is, while it may be midly F2P friendly, it's only F2P friendly to people who rank in the top of arena & have planned since the new character dropped as you said.

It's not F2P friendly for 95% of the player base. As I've said before, the problem is the people on the forum tend to be be more likely in that top 5%, as are the top of arena. Which is why people think it's too free to play friendly because it 'seems' like everybody is getting him this time around.

In reality, they are not - just the cutting edge.

Now, to say that somebody who's scored 1 in arena daily - used all his crystals to farm these characters since the second they were released, save some gear & read the forums, watched out for teasers shouldn't be considered worthy to get the character for months work . Just because they don't have 15 G12+ gear saved isn't reasonable.

You missed my first point (in my previous post). You have to actually do the ground work to get to the top of arena in the first place. That's the step that comes before doing the work required to get ahead and farm the new meta.

Right now you may not be able to farm darth revan, but you can farm Jedi revan. Despite the indicators that say Darth revan will counter Jedi revan, you'll still be able to get the next best rank with Jedi revan (you might even be able to beat Darth revan on attack - tbd)

With the previous meta you should be able to gain enough crystals to star and gear the characters for the current meta (Darth revan). In his next pass, you'll actually get Darth revan then there's usually a grace period where there won't be a hard counter to Darth revan. This is where you focus on accumulating crystals for the next meta farm.

Once you get the next squad meta early, you can start working on ships.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

I also don't think people who spent a lot of money in the past in order to get to the position where they can earn lots of "free" crystals should be called "F2P" just because they may not have spent money directly on a given farm.

imo if you've ever spend a single cent on the game you're no longer f2p.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • I don't really care if it's easy or hard for the sake of my shard. Seen over 45 people on my shard at least that have the requirements and I'll deal with DReven mirror matches just like I do with Revan mirror matches or whatever comes our way.

I am really concerned for newer shards about how easy Revan is to get though. Shards under 4 months old are now able to very quickly move through phoenix -> bastila jedi -> Revan team because the revan event is too unbelievably easy to complete those newer shards will become super stale very early on. I feel like that's a shame for people starting the game around now. It would potentially be nice if DRevan event was also easy so those younger shards could make a 50/50 choice and alternatively go Phoenix->Carth KOTOR team-> Darth Revan to give them some diversity.

Anyway, I calculated you can get the DRevan shard requirements mid way through next week with 500 crystals per day. That's "free to play" (by some technical definition at least) if you get 1st in one of the two arenas. That's still a very small proportion of the player base though. You can also be ready this week with 850 crystals spent per day which is still f2p if you get 1st in both arenas.
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    dominiQC wrote: »
    matsumike wrote: »
    I'm a mostly FTP player. I used gift cards I got for Christmas to buy the four OR Marquee packs. I've been using my fleet arena crystals to buy energy and refreshes. I'm super close to having them all 7*. I will be CRUSHED if not only is there a star check, but a gear check too. Hard work and focus should pay off.

Honestly, I hoarded gear since last month and could gear em up to g12. Haven't done it yet because I want to see if it's required before doing it. Then if any gear left, it will help gear up DRev

All 5 characters to g12 requires 26 carbanti pieces, 13 stun guns, 13 cuffs and 10 eyeballs.

That sheer amount of resources alone is a pretty tall order, for those who haven't started gearing them before even starting to farm them.
  • Vohbo
    332 posts Member
    Many people take more than a week to get a single stun gun.
  • As someone who will get him I hope it's only around gear 10 requirement. Pay or free it still a difficult grind to 7* I get that jkr event was a complete joke but if Darth revan isn't obtainable by some f2p that are able to get to 7*(the hard part) there will not be any shake up in the squad revan....oops I mean arena. Remember it's still a game that has had its moments for great legendary events old Ben vs Vader still probably my favorite thing I've ever done in this game
  • If they want to hard or challenging why not make it so you don't use your own characters at all.

You need your characters to unlock it, but how event allies are - they do the same with the entire party. So it becomes a 'skill-check' not a hard gear check.

I'm happy for it to be hyper tuned in that sense, so it's a true test of skill.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    If they want to hard or challenging why not make it so you don't use your own characters at all.

You need your characters to unlock it, but how event allies are - they do the same with the entire party. So it becomes a 'skill-check' not a hard gear check.

They did this with some event requiring Jawas, and it was terrible. The enemy was significantly stronger, making it a RNG-fest with nothing you could do to improve your odds.
  • Tattz
    192 posts Member
    It would be better if even a 100% maxed god modded squad struggled
  • Nauros wrote: »
    If they want to hard or challenging why not make it so you don't use your own characters at all.

They did this with some event requiring Jawas, and it was terrible. The enemy was significantly stronger, making it a RNG-fest with nothing you could do to improve your odds.
    Well, that's just an over-tuned event/badly designed - nothing against the idea overall.

If wanting it to be really hard is about skill & not about being a $$$ whale then this solution should make people happy.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

It doesn't need to be difficult to not be available to truly free players. Actually free players don't have developed enough squads to earn the necessary amount of free crystals to complete the Carth farm, regardless of whether they finish the others. Those that claim they do (if there are any) are probably full of it.

It's hard if you've been playing for 3+ years, but not as hard as you may think. Obviously you need to finish high in arena and you need to have started farming carth (with a node refresh) when he was made farmable, which eliminates the overwhelming majority of f2p players, so in that sense it's difficult.
    However, ever since the JKR release it became clear you needed to hoard alot of crystals if you didn't want to miss the next big release. Quite a few f2p players, myself included, did exactly that. I'm at 40/100 on carth and 17/100 on juhani with still 27.4k crystals left.

I'm just skeptical that it's "quite a few" free players. I don't think there are that many who would ever even think to hoard crystals. I think a lot of people who don't understand how atypical their behavior is are making baseless assumptions about what level of attention other people pay to likely future character releases, and what level of preparation they are willing to commit to.

I also don't think people who spent a lot of money in the past in order to get to the position where they can earn lots of "free" crystals should be called "F2P" just because they may not have spent money directly on a given farm.

It depends on your definition of “quite a few,” but there’s a very big difference between saying “not that many people can or will actually do this” and saying that the people who say they have done it are “probably full of it.”

It depends on how you define free. Not many can or will manage to unlock Darth Revan without spending money on doing so, but the ones I am categorizing as "probably full of it" are the ones who would claim to be "free players" who are unlocking Darth Revan. I wouldn't consider someone who has spent a bunch of money in the past in order to reach the point where they have a substantial crystal income to be a free player just because they aren't *currently* spending money. They are just paid players who did their paying earlier.

I define free to play the same way you do. And if you think there are zero people who will get Darth Revan for free and have never spent a single penny on this game, you are flat out wrong. It may not fit your definition of “quite a few” but we do exist and we are not full of it.
  • By now you should have switched to farm Sith ships because you finished up the required toons. Sith capital coming from StarForge...