Grand Arena Championships MEGATHREAD

Replies

• Options
    Gorem wrote: »
    This game can't claim skill means anything. "How high will you climb" easily translates to "how much will you spend to beat people who have played the game longer so even if they have played a year longer then you, you can still trump them".

True, and therein lies the state of gaming today sadly.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Has anyone formed a concrete opinion with the latest GAC matchmaking post? Is it a good time to stop stop (post GA release) sandbagging? I really hope that's the outcome. Just trying to understand the new picture forming.
  • Options
    No_Try wrote: »
    Has anyone formed a concrete opinion with the latest GAC matchmaking post? Is it a good time to stop stop (post GA release) sandbagging? I really hope that's the outcome. Just trying to understand the new picture forming.

Yea, it sounds like if you sandbag your GP going into the GP division making, you can then increase your GP quickly to get a large advantage over the competition. I’ll have to reread the post.
  • Options

Yea, it sounds like if you sandbag your GP going into the GP division making, you can then increase your GP quickly to get a large advantage over the competition. I’ll have to reread the post.

Thought about my comment more and I guess that only works the first time lol. There’s not much to dump GP going into the second championship.
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    GA championship = sandbagging 2.0
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

How does increasing your GP after the divisions are made benefits you? The way you can increase your gp after matchmaking can mostly be done on the fluffy end of your roster...like suddenly leveling and staring stuff you won't use. Don't see how there's benefit in that in practise.

This can only be a tactic in between the weeks as inventory locks once matchmaked every week like standart GA rounds. i.e. you can leave your new DR/Malak locked and then max them afterwards during the championship.

Either case, I'm trying to understand if the reverse is true and I can just gain the -GP in waiting- I can get at will if it will not bite me back later.
  • Options

How does increasing your GP after the divisions are made benefits you? The way you can increase your gp after matchmaking can mostly be done on the fluffy end of your roster...like suddenly leveling and staring stuff you won't use. Don't see how there's benefit in that in practise.

This can only be a tactic in between the weeks as inventory locks once matchmaked every week like standart GA rounds. i.e. you can leave your new DR/Malak locked and then max them afterwards during the championship.

Either case, I'm trying to understand if the reverse is true and I can just gain the -GP in waiting- I can get at will if it will not bite me back later.

Leaving DR/Malak locked as you mention is what I was getting at. Probably a more relevant example is the new Kenobi ship as ships have a much larger impact on GP.

Raising fluff GP after a championship starts should have a negative effect on you (lower division and you don’t gain a strategic advantage for fluffing).
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

Leaving DR/Malak locked as you mention is what I was getting at. Probably a more relevant example is the new Kenobi ship as ships have a much larger impact on GP.

Raising fluff GP after a championship starts should have a negative effect on you (lower division and you don’t gain a strategic advantage for fluffing).

Yeah, so...I'm not interested in short term footplay like that either xD. Does it look safe now just sink in my -on hold- GP and start behaving as most did before GA was a thing?
  • Options

Yeah, so...I'm not interested in short term footplay like that either xD. Does it look safe now just sink in my -on hold- GP and start behaving as most did before GA was a thing?

Yep, look at my follow-up to my first comment. You can probably gain an advantage by leaving DR, Malak, etc. unactivated for GP divisions in the first GAC, but after that you can’t gain the advantage again.

Of course, this is all speculation based on how we interpret the post today. I just hope these changes generate good matchups. I’m tired of looking at the opposition and saying either “easy win” or “no chance to win.”
  • Options
    Paying to remove all your mods prior to matchmaking could drop a lot of GP resulting in a lower division with less rewards and less competition.

This could be a tactic for people who wanna spend credits to get less rewards & have an edge in combat.
  • Options
    Too complicated by far!!!
  • Mattlumbard88
    13 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    GA championships and the new Geonosis TB are pointless unless you have well rounded squads and a developed roster. So basically if you are a whale these are the things you are looking for....
    How about fixing the really bad shard drop rates? The double drop only increased slightly my drop rates on certain characters i.e characters that arent going to be used in any coming events.
    Thanks Devs for screwing us FTP loyal daily players over. Now before anyone comments yes I have not put money into this game but the drop rates are poor even on stuff you buy (with crystals as I found out) or even with cash as ive been told
  • kieltrx
    129 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Well bois and girls we can begin the countdown. Merely a week to the first GAC style grand arena. Can't wait!
  • Deum_Alisi1
    117 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I just wanted to come on here and say thank goodness for the caps police. I would hate to think of the lawless hellscape this place would be without them.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    TearFarmer wrote: »
    Is it true that CG is not giving any zetas, currency, gear or mod materials at all to make up for a month without GA? Double drops doesn't really help out much at all...the drop rates pretty much suck on anything useful.
    Double drops provide literally everything you just mentioned.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    It didn't seem clear to me whether the matchmaking would remove ship GP. I mean, if for the foreseeable future it's just 5v5, they would default to a toon to toon type system, right? Or did I just miss that in the posts?
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    Ferril9909 wrote: »
    It didn't seem clear to me whether the matchmaking would remove ship GP. I mean, if for the foreseeable future it's just 5v5, they would default to a toon to toon type system, right? Or did I just miss that in the posts?
    The matchmaking already doesn't account for ship GP if ships aren't included in Grand Arena
  • Ferril9909
    55 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    That was GA, and this is something new. I was.looking for an explicit statement, cuz, well, you know.

However, rereading the posts, and how squads are discussed thoroughly, could be a safe assumption.
  • Options
    Great concept, but just like Grand Arena actual matchmaking will be garbage i'm sure...so many problems & issues with existing gameplay already. Can you fix existing issues first devs!?
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    I just wanted to come on here and say thank goodness for the caps police. I would hate to think of the lawless hellscape this place would be without them.

Well, it kinda is anyway....minus the "lawless" part.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Lol if u aint winning without ships u aint the best
  • Options
    Nosnikta wrote: »
    Great concept, but just like Grand Arena actual matchmaking will be garbage i'm sure...so many problems & issues with existing gameplay already. Can you fix existing issues first devs!?

The new GAC system addresses a lot of the overmatched/undermatched current matchmaking problem with GA by introducing divisions which essentially put winners vs winners and losers vs losers after each weekly GA in the GAC.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Drop rates provide a chance at literally everything he mentioned.

Why are you dishonest? Guaranteed rewards vs a chance to get the same rewards
    How am I being dishonest?

Random rolls are how you get pretty much everything. Including GA rewards above last place. Get bad RNG and you can lose some pretty easy battles that can cost you the day. This can, in turn, cost you the match and rewards. Including all zetas.

That randomness exists in double drops does not render them invalid. Double drops get you most things in the game.
    Still not a he.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »

Random rolls are how you get pretty much everything. Including GA rewards above last place. Get bad RNG and you can lose some pretty easy battles that can cost you the day. This can, in turn, cost you the match and rewards. Including all zetas.

That randomness exists in double drops does not render them invalid. Double drops get you most things in the game.

Uhm 2-3-4 and 5-6-7 gets the same rewards in GA. That's why there's no meaning to your placing but only how many matches you won/lost.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Uhm 2-3-4 and 5-6-7 gets the same rewards in GA. That's why there's no meaning to your placing but only how many matches you won/lost.
    I was not in any way referring to the arbitrary ranking within a reward bracket. I was talking about losing fights due to bad RNG. Poor crits, debuffs not sticking, proc chances, miss chances. And as a result going into a lower reward bracket.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »

Which is why he stated that there's RNG in the battles that he played determining his wins/losses.

However, I completely agree that double drops does not make up for, like you said, guaranteed rewards. There is much much much much less RNG in battles than there are rolling challenges, node battles, etc.