Can we get an update on cheating?

Replies

• StarSon
    7461 posts Member
    Options
    Ralakili wrote: »
    @CG_TopHat are you seeing this?

Well, they've had both videos pulled from YouTube, so I'd say that yes, he is seeing this.
  • CorpseMaker77
    602 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    So, basically CG is aware of cheating in GAC, and yet they are holding Darth Malak from returning, meaning not only they are favoring whales but also cheaters somehow.

With the current state of this game, F2P players are totally screwed.

I cannot wait to see they throwing another GAC before Malak show up.
  • Options
    It’s all well and good they promote our ability to report cheaters but I don’t work for Capital Games. We as a community dump a lot of money to make this game successful. We shouldn’t have to be beta testers AND cheat prevention.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    So, after a spate of cheating in another game, the dev posted weekly or bi weekly or monthly updates on bans. It was Bungie and their banhammer I believe.

A post from the devs along the lines of: "We permanently banned X accounts and heres a chart showing that we permabanned some accounts with X Y and Z GP and we have X more under investigation. To properly report this do X"

Do that a few weeks in a row and then monthly and it will give the players confidence that something is being done, and cheaters reason to reconsider. The breaks between the GAC rounds would be a good time to do this.

Unlike Halo where you can just create a new account, a lifetime ban of an account with 4M GP is no joke and HURTS.
  • Options
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Mfish wrote: »
    @CG_Erik please say something to restore my confidence after the cheating being brought to light. I have spent $9k on swgoh because it is an enjoyable hobby for me. This new information makes me uneasy.
    Seconded. Probably slightly less money spent, but same problem here : I’m starting to lose my trust.

Thirded (if that's even a valid word!) I've spent a little more than that and feel the same

Y'all know this has been a thing since the game was released, right?

I actually (naively) didn't realise that at first. I did hear some stories along the way about different cheats coming into the game, but generally not till they were being dealt with (such as the mod thing in GA/TW). I have always played games on either single player or LAN with friends and family so none of us ever wanted to cheat at anything, where's the fun in that!?
    This is the first game I've played to include so many different people from all over the world, it is a brilliant game and has a fantastic community!
    Why would anyone want to cheat and ruin that? I just don't get it...often the best part of the game or anything in life is the journey, why bother playing if you don't want that feeling of accomplishment you only get with struggling through and coming out the other end?
  • Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    So, after a spate of cheating in another game, the dev posted weekly or bi weekly or monthly updates on bans. It was Bungie and their banhammer I believe.

A post from the devs along the lines of: "We permanently banned X accounts and heres a chart showing that we permabanned some accounts with X Y and Z GP and we have X more under investigation. To properly report this do X"

Do that a few weeks in a row and then monthly and it will give the players confidence that something is being done, and cheaters reason to reconsider. The breaks between the GAC rounds would be a good time to do this.

Unlike Halo where you can just create a new account, a lifetime ban of an account with 4M GP is no joke and HURTS.

That's a good suggestion. Personally, I think all banned account names should just be flat out listed.

Shame! Shame!
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_Erik please say something to restore my confidence after the cheating being brought to light. I have spent $9k on swgoh because it is an enjoyable hobby for me. This new information makes me uneasy.
    Seconded. Probably slightly less money spent, but same problem here : I’m starting to lose my trust.

Thirded (if that's even a valid word!) I've spent a little more than that and feel the same

I actually (naively) didn't realise that at first. I did hear some stories along the way about different cheats coming into the game, but generally not till they were being dealt with (such as the mod thing in GA/TW). I have always played games on either single player or LAN with friends and family so none of us ever wanted to cheat at anything, where's the fun in that!?
    This is the first game I've played to include so many different people from all over the world, it is a brilliant game and has a fantastic community!
    Why would anyone want to cheat and ruin that? I just don't get it...often the best part of the game or anything in life is the journey, why bother playing if you don't want that feeling of accomplishment you only get with struggling through and coming out the other end?

Because... participation trophies.
  • Options
    I would also like a response
  • Options
    Daishi wrote: »

Daishi wrote: »

But it's not like the rewards are THAT brilliant, it's just bragging rights....which in the scheme of things doesn't really mean anything. In the meantime, people like me who have fairly well developed rosters, but still have lots of room for improvement, that used to really enjoy the challenges of the PVP events, end up feeling really rather annoyed, and disillusioned about the whole game. These cheats are basically ruining the game for everyone else.

I've actually spent ages going through opponents rosters after losing GA rounds trying to work out what on earth was used to get through my teams given what was in defence for me to get through. I guess, at least now i know there aren't loads of brilliant counters out there that i hadn't even thought of or heard about!! :(
  • Gair
    616 posts Member
    Options

I agree with this completely. One huge issue is transparency with CG. IF they integrated a fix I'd want to see a demonstration it was no longer possible. I cant trust them to fix it, because that is what I thought they fixed last time.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    tj5270 wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Monel wrote: »
    The problem with a program like that is there is no stopping it unless you find a way to block the program all together. All a cheater needs to do is create a new account after being banned and they can cheat their way right back to the top.

Adding defensive replays would stop the biggest part of it. While there could be subtle cheating line improving damage by 10% of something that people might not notice, it still means everything is right out in the open. Blatant cheating in PvP would disappear instantly.
    I don't think defensive replays are a reasonable ask. You've got millions of players in Grand Arena, each doing multiple battles, from as low as 0 battles to 8+, some sending junk teams doing 0 damage so that one team can have a defensive score of 80 or something for reddit karma

Each video needs to be compressed and stored on the server and its very costly on space

I’d settle for a text recap. Team used, damage done by characters on both sides, time elapsed, maybe total number of attacks/turns for each toon.

Thanks for exposing this and bringing up solutions to the problem. Anything is better then nothing, and Cg has provided nothing to really put a halt to what is happening. I think it may be more costly, but the other side is to take down ANYTHING pvp related, as it has the potential to just be exploited and cheated on.

That is absolutely not true. Let's leave the baseless accusations out of this.

It may not be true, but it is not a baseless accusation. Bulldog spent two months proving their automated tools don't work at all. That's basis for claiming that "they are doing nothing."
    and also didnt try to implement the new tools, both of which happened, which means saying "they have done nothing" is not based on any facts.

We actually have no idea if they did this or not. They said they did, and players have been given the standard week bans during the Exhibition, so sure, they aren't doing "nothing." What we do know, is that if they implemented an auto tool it doesn't work.

Honestly, based on their history of caring about cheating, I'm inclined to believe they never added anything to the game and still rely on player reports.

My only remark was to leave the baseless claim that they did nothing out of this.

If you dont believe what they are saying then there is no reason to be here asking for an update that you wont believe.

No we dont know that the automated tools they added dont work. We dont know that these accounts were not flagged for investigation. We also dont know how many players did get banned or have some actions taken against them. But that doesnt matter, since you wouldnt believe any if that anyway.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    It's just that, as with so many other things, this is such an easy problem to fix. But as the years drag by, I find it increasingly difficult to believe that they care to fix them.

I have no idea what you're basing this on and I don't believe it at all. Game developers care a lot about this issue. If it was easy to fix they would have fixed it.
  • Options
    The problem with a program like that is there is no stopping it unless you find a way to block the program all together. All a cheater needs to do is create a new account after being banned and they can cheat their way right back to the top.

Adding defensive replays would stop the biggest part of it. While there could be subtle cheating line improving damage by 10% of something that people might not notice, it still means everything is right out in the open. Blatant cheating in PvP would disappear instantly.
    I don't think defensive replays are a reasonable ask. You've got millions of players in Grand Arena, each doing multiple battles, from as low as 0 battles to 8+, some sending junk teams doing 0 damage so that one team can have a defensive score of 80 or something for reddit karma

Each video needs to be compressed and stored on the server and its very costly on space

I’d settle for a text recap. Team used, damage done by characters on both sides, time elapsed, maybe total number of attacks/turns for each toon.

Thanks for exposing this and bringing up solutions to the problem. Anything is better then nothing, and Cg has provided nothing to really put a halt to what is happening. I think it may be more costly, but the other side is to take down ANYTHING pvp related, as it has the potential to just be exploited and cheated on.

It may not be true, but it is not a baseless accusation. Bulldog spent two months proving their automated tools don't work at all. That's basis for claiming that "they are doing nothing."
    and also didnt try to implement the new tools, both of which happened, which means saying "they have done nothing" is not based on any facts.

We actually have no idea if they did this or not. They said they did, and players have been given the standard week bans during the Exhibition, so sure, they aren't doing "nothing." What we do know, is that if they implemented an auto tool it doesn't work.

Honestly, based on their history of caring about cheating, I'm inclined to believe they never added anything to the game and still rely on player reports.

My only remark was to leave the baseless claim that they did nothing out of this.

If you dont believe what they are saying then there is no reason to be here asking for an update that you wont believe.

No we dont know that the automated tools they added dont work. We dont know that these accounts were not flagged for investigation. We also dont know how many players did get banned or have some actions taken against them. But that doesnt matter, since you wouldnt believe any if that anyway.
    I have far greater trust in judges than in a private company. Yet, even the most honorable ones go by the aphorism "Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done." Justice behind closed curtains is no justice.
  • Ankh
    18 posts Member
    Options
    This is broken.It is absolutely ruining the game.

You would need to at least log the battles to do anything about this. Can we please start there?
  • tj5270
    177 posts Member
    Options

To say they did nothing, would simply be false. I think at a base we can all agree they have tried. My concern is that this has not corrected the action and that additional steps are warranted. I think bulldog brought up a couple of viable solutions, but if that is not feasible, at its core they need to take additional measures to have this better monitored or place the pvp modes on hold until they CAN come up with something.
  • Options
    My biggest problem is with CG/EA using their power to silence whistleblowers/you tubers by complaining and Getting YouTube to issue strikes, pull videos, and basically deplatform the content creators for nonsensical copyright issues that would not hold up in court.

Shame. I’m requesting all my money back this week. Not because of the cheating per se... (of course that will be my reason)... but because of them silencing content creators. We need more speech on cheating not less of it.

CG silencing speech on cheating only makes the problem worse and hurts the game. The solution is more speech on it... not less.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »
    It's just that, as with so many other things, this is such an easy problem to fix. But as the years drag by, I find it increasingly difficult to believe that they care to fix them.

I have no idea what you're basing this on and I don't believe it at all. Game developers care a lot about this issue. If it was easy to fix they would have fixed it.

It should be pretty easy to fix, just will cost them some money (both to develop the fix and to operate it, since it will cost some compute and storage depending on how they implement it). The know how much a given toon with given stats and buffs should hit for. It should be relatively easy for them to flag anything that falls out of that range. Pretty straightforward. Non-trivial, but straightforward.
  • Options

Brilliant idea. definitely recommend this approach @CG_SBCrumb
  • Iy4oy4s
    2938 posts Member
    Options
    nabokovfan wrote: »

It must be an in-game news letter to be effective
  • Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Options
    Spidee wrote: »
    There is a sure fire way to stop apk hacking. All battles need to be hosted server side. As long as battles are done client side apk hack will always be there.

There is even better way...
    Double client/server check. Player plays as is, on device, but afterwards server quickly replays battle and compare. All discrepancies in, let’s say CD not increased, etc. are flagged...
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    Shame. I’m requesting all my money back this week. Not because of the cheating per se... (of course that will be my reason)... but because of them silencing content creators.
    This is very unethical and you are a bad person for doing this.

You're trying to game the system (see what I did there :wink: ) because of bad actors. Maybe I should use this logic to tell the government I want all my money in taxes back because some people don't pay taxes. You're just using this drama to serve your own agenda of getting your money back while benefiting from the in-game currency you paid for

I don't blame CG for pulling those two videos down because the message to the wider audience was that "you can cheat and get away with it"
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Shame. I’m requesting all my money back this week. Not because of the cheating per se... (of course that will be my reason)... but because of them silencing content creators.
    This is very unethical and you are a bad person for doing this.

You're trying to game the system (see what I did there :wink: ) because of bad actors. Maybe I should use this logic to tell the government I want all my money in taxes back because some people don't pay taxes. You're just using this drama to serve your own agenda of getting your money back while benefiting from the in-game currency you paid for

I don't blame CG for pulling those two videos down because the message to the wider audience was that "you can cheat and get away with it"

Seriously... it's like "we hate cheaters, but let's create 10,000 more!"
  • K331
    168 posts Member
    Options
    Replay rewatch battles? Think the video/YouTube shows 1000 in defense if a person put 200 or 400 on defense with the mod/hack the replay/rewatch wont catch it.you wont catch it,you wont see it.they can put it wear they barely win then what?I say everyone gets it and have fun...lol.
  • Options
    @Kyno ty for always answering in these type of threads and fully communicating why posts are being closed and giving the most up to date info the community has.

@Bulldog1205 I don’t think they will ever add you to test. But it’s a loss for us all.

If you know someone that is cheating report them. They shut down tournaments because of this. And GAC is better than tourneys.

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    nabokovfan wrote: »

It must be an in-game news letter to be effective

Agreed. I understand "dont talk about it" has some merit when its in nascent stages, but after it has gone on for so long it should be addressed head on, with real public consequences and it should be an in game mail to have more deterrence.
This discussion has been closed.