Privacy, swgoh.gg and battle logs - making logs public is a TERRIBLE IDEA

Replies

• Options
    Kisakee wrote: »
    micha_15 wrote: »
    charlyw64 wrote: »
    Jordison wrote: »
    And I don't even know if you could do anything GDPR related because they share in-game data, this is not personal information we are talking about.

swgoh.gg share with google - and they have enough data to create a full profile including all personal data. So this move by CG is definitely illegal unless they get explicit consent by every player whose data they share!

Based on that argument all data of swgoh.gg would be illegal

And btw read the ToS:
    EA also may collect, use, store, transmit and publicly display statistical data regarding game play (including scores, rankings and achievements), or identify content that is created and shared by you with other players.

Yes, we accepted to give our data to EA. And we created an account on swgoh.gg and accepted to get our data there too. But EA giving the datas away to someone else (swgoh.gg) without the permission of the user is illegal. Welcome to the EU smartash.

And swgoh.gg dude tells us they gonna collect our data even if we delete swgoh.gg account, doesn't seem right to me at all - they have to get my permission, imhoyy35z8wzrvgp.jpg
  • Options
    1. Where on swgoh.gg do you see this I can't seem to find it?

@jayjonbeach 3pr8uza9204n.png

It's right there between squads and ships.
  • Options
    There is a bigger problem here. If the player doesn't consent to the data transfer to swgoh.gg that transfer of data is illegal according to European law...

That is a problem that does not exist.

You're grasping at straws - likely because you're part of a guild who has supposedly 'proprietary squads & mods' you don't want to be public.

It's either that or you're one of the cheaters who just had the rug pulled out. Either way, the vast majority of the player base wanted this. And CG/EA as well as SWGOH.gh deserve some praise for getting it done!
  • Options
    They are not doing anything against GDPR as such, they clearly state they will share our PII when join, and in their privacy policy

https://swgoh.gg/privacy-policy/

Where they will fall down is refusing to delete data when requested and proving the OPT in, for any EU members, outside of EU i think you pretty up a creek without a paddle :) but this has been the same issue for most companies outs of EU who have not got head around GDPR
  • Options
    I mean: why in the world anyone should be able to see their opponent's previous defensive setups, when GAC is the game mode all about defensive strategies?!

Like the NFL, right? And their defensive strategies are what? Not televised in great detail each week?

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't settle into just one defensive alignment.

Maybe, just maybe, you might have to analyze each opponent and devise new strategies for each one!

• shhfiftyfive
    98 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    This sucks. it is now pointless to have "hidden" rear territories..

And GA is already becoming less interesting by having no zeta mats rewards.. (CG said they wanted to shift to GA being the primary game mode. This doesn't achieve that!)

And by having fleet take up half the rear/hidden areas. no mystery there... no strategy/hard choices being made here. 2 quick battles and you've revealed the entire map...

But now.. you don't even have to do that. its all on a website...

The real question.... What's next? TW logs?

It isn't about having an even playing field.. its about how it completely undermines the game mode as it is presently designed. CG will have to go back to the drawing board and come up with some other way of presenting pvp, so that it is compelling to play.

If this were to come to TW, it would completely destroy that mode. it also destroys GA but people seem less critical of this fact because.. reasons.
  • Options
    What they've done is ridiculous and so out of touch on so many levels. All of the cheating could've been solved by a few weeks of a developer working on some detection code.. but alas there is no money in that is there.

Actually, that is not true. The issue resides client side where the cheating exploits occur. They could write server side "detection code" until they're blue in the face, and people will still find a way to exploit it client side. Empowering self-policing is a big step in right direction.
  • Options
    I wonder how the ea-lawyers could think, this would work in the EU. Here are other laws agains unwanted data-sharing than in the USA, especially Germany, France and some scandinavian states.
  • Options
    You guys are funny. Your defense isn't a secret, and it's not tripping up anyone that's good at this game. You're also not forced to do anything. You don't want to go look at the battle logs of your opponents? Then don't. You won't gain much out of it either way.

And before you say something silly like "but now I can see what they place on defense everytime and plan accordingly," ... no, you can't, because they know you can see it, and can just place something different that you haven't planned for.

If GAC is supposed to be some big end game strategic undertaking, try using actually strategy, and don't put the same defenses every time. Or, you know, just play, and don't worry about it. Not like the rewards are worth that much effort.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    Not like the rewards are worth that much effort.
    This! nothing more to add B)

Swiss Garde Officer, drop me a message if you're interested joining
  • Options
    BlackIrish wrote: »
    I mean: why in the world anyone should be able to see their opponent's previous defensive setups, when GAC is the game mode all about defensive strategies?!

Like the NFL, right? And their defensive strategies are what? Not televised in great detail each week?

Maybe, just maybe, you might have to analyze each opponent and devise new strategies for each one!

Don't tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Period
  • Options
    those who defend this, just imagine TW logs next and try to apply your argument equally.
  • Options
    p.s. If you have all time of your life to analyze opponents and their defensive strategies - I have bad news for you... but I guess you know it yourself
  • Caiaphas
    187 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    So let me get this straight ... I can find what teams my opponent put on defense in previous GAC, look at their front line in the current GAC, know in advance what they have in their back line, and plan all my attacks in advance? Knowing their back line? And the opponent can do the same for me?

No nonononono... this is not good. Might as well just reveal the back line defense in the game and save us the trouble of checking swgoh.gg, while feeding them ad revenue.

edit: But it opens a new strategy ... let the opponent think that you have kept the same back line, but change it from previous GAC to try to trip them up.
  • Options

LOL If you're already using the same defensive strategy week in and week out, everyone already knows what you're doing, so this doesn't change anything.
  • Options

LOL If you're already using the same defensive strategy week in and week out, everyone already knows what you're doing, so this doesn't change anything.

Everyone WHO?! I face different opponents every time
  • Options

There are entire discord servers dedicated to tracking who places what on defense. Someone out there has written down your defense "strategy" and shared it with whoever cared to ask. It's not a secret.
  • Options

There are entire discord servers dedicated to tracking who places what on defense. Someone out there has written down your defense "strategy" and shared it with whoever cared to ask. It's not a secret.

Oh man, it's clearly not everyone but 1-5% of players at best
  • Options

Ironically, that's a similar % of people that will actually check your gac-history. An even smaller % will then use that information to devise their own strategy against you.
  • Options
    I have to say this uproar is a joke. Everyone should be setting squads based on your opponent anyway so should always change. You could use this info to your advantage by letting your opponent think one thing by seeing your past set ups then surprise them with something new. As for the hidden territory, people would do as I do and use the least squad necessary to beat the upfront squads and save squads for the back if I can or if there is a dr/malak up front for example and I have to use my arena squad to win then that's what I do and if it means that I don't have a counter for that hidden territory, that's part of the game.

Knowing what's at the back or not isn't going to matter so live with it and enjoy the data as I will and lots of others will too. Or sook and still put up with the data anyway, it's your choice.......
  • Options

Ironically, that's a similar % of people that will actually check your gac-history. An even smaller % will then use that information to devise their own strategy against you.

You never say why making data public is good move, just arguing for arguing. I'm bored and not interested
  • Options

You never say why making data public is good move, just arguing for arguing. I'm bored and not interested

My stance isn't that "it's a good move," my stance is that "it doesn't matter." So no, I am not arguing to argue, I am arguing because you are wrong that it's a bad move.
  • Options
    First, I'm pretty sure by the EULA the data (and even techincally your account) is EA's not yours. As long as no personal information is conveyed EA/CG can share the data if they chose to. I don't understand the arguements saying its illegal when we all consented to giving EA/CG the data. Gameplay data is theirs.

Second, why not have it public? In my opinion it adds more strategy and intrigue as you try to discern what you should set based on your opponents roster, their potential and used defenses and what you think they will set now. It's actually no different than a lot of competitions where you can scout your opponents beforehand. They have to do the same.

Third, it gives insight into team performance on Defense and peoples counters, which is facinating to me. Things like why are you using JKR as a lead instead of **** for GG teams? It also confirms some of my strategy for defense where one fail can have a major cascading impact.

Fourth, it's eye-opening to see battle logs where TivTI or Maw v Maw set cupcake defense for each other. If nothing else, seeing the battle logs makes me believe even more thet defense needs more weight.
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
  • Options
    Saada wrote: »
    I have to say this uproar is a joke. Everyone should be setting squads based on your opponent anyway so should always change. You could use this info to your advantage by letting your opponent think one thing by seeing your past set ups then surprise them with something new. As for the hidden territory, people would do as I do and use the least squad necessary to beat the upfront squads and save squads for the back if I can or if there is a dr/malak up front for example and I have to use my arena squad to win then that's what I do and if it means that I don't have a counter for that hidden territory, that's part of the game.

Knowing what's at the back or not isn't going to matter so live with it and enjoy the data as I will and lots of others will too. Or sook and still put up with the data anyway, it's your choice.......

Why exactly you believe you can tell everyone how to play GAC or how to feel about it? Tell us why making data public is good or don't bother to comment, noone needs your advices actually.
  • Options
    First, I'm pretty sure by the EULA the data (and even techincally your account) is EA's not yours. As long as no personal information is conveyed EA/CG can share the data if they chose to. I don't understand the arguements saying its illegal when we all consented to giving EA/CG the data. Gameplay data is theirs.

Second, why not have it public? In my opinion it adds more strategy and intrigue as you try to discern what you should set based on your opponents roster, their potential and used defenses and what you think they will set now. It's actually no different than a lot of competitions where you can scout your opponents beforehand. They have to do the same.

Third, it gives insight into team performance on Defense and peoples counters, which is facinating to me. Things like why are you using JKR as a lead instead of **** for GG teams? It also confirms some of my strategy for defense where one fail can have a major cascading impact.

Fourth, it's eye-opening to see battle logs where TivTI or Maw v Maw set cupcake defense for each other. If nothing else, seeing the battle logs makes me believe even more thet defense needs more weight.

Don't care about the rest (agree on 1st and 3rd, on 4th - it's their own bussiness), only on "second, why not have it public": because someone (and I believe it's majority of players) don't want to show their GAC history to future opponents before the match, analyzing performances after the match is great feature indeed
  • Options
    micha_15 wrote: »
    Now you actually have to think about strategies and cant't just repeat your usual deployment.
    I wish the same could be said about CG.

• Options
    Well this signals the end of GAC and it's a shame. We live in a mentally weak society where people whine and complain about everything under the sun. What else do this entitled brats need? down the line this crap won't be enough because now they want you to remove your mods so they can beat you easier 'cause you know, they don't have what it takes (o.o) to get to kyber so they need all the help they can have.
  • Options
    Why do I have this feeling that 20 years from now they will be teaching CG’s mistakes in some business and/or gaming class in college like a cautionary tale of how one company completely alienated their customers and drove their company into the ground through self inflicted wounds.
  • Options
    IronCross wrote: »
    Everyone uses pretty much the same 10 or so teams. Does it really matter?

I don’t and having some surprise, especially in the back, has helped. But oh well
  • Options
    nurm wrote: »
    Jordison wrote: »
    And I don't even know if you could do anything GDPR related because they share in-game data, this is not personal information we are talking about.

swgoh.gg share with google - and they have enough data to create a full profile including all personal data. So this move by CG is definitely illegal unless they get explicit consent by every player whose data they share!

This is not a problem of gdpr. Ea/CG share only non personal data and this is not part of gdpr. And even if Google uses big data to combine your gac results with your farming progress, it is still not gdpr relevant.

Tell that to the people that lose their jobs because the data revealed that they played the game at work (for example) and it got into the hands of their savvy employer...