Galactic challenges rewards [MERGE]

Replies

• Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    BeralCator wrote: »
    Treeburner wrote: »
    Next thing they will be making it so you have to have OR team members at 17,500 gp to unlock a top character .

I am also upset that my minimum investment into a team won't get me the best rewards in a game mode.
    I should be able to get the same rewards as everyone else regardless of how much time and effort I put into it . I should also be able to get the same score and rewards in a raid with no investment into good raid teams and gear , this game makes no sense I mean what kind of company rewards players for spending/ doing well and putting time and or money in the game and then doesn't give the same rewards to those not ready or prepared .

People want equal outcome instead of equal opportunity and that's why communism doesn't work in practice .

If you want to only reward people with relic 5 Bounty Hunters, then make content that is only beatable with relic 5 Bounty Hunters. Don’t make it doable with g12 Bounty Hunters and then only give half the rewards because the team used was too weak.

with the variability of mods and RNG, it is quite hard for them to make that happen. We see this all the time with events and the reports of people trying at the recommended and some do it, and some can't.

Why is this a problem though? If you are good enough to accomplish it with less then who cares?

My point is that those 2 "walls" are not really equivalent, because one is much more clear cut than the other. so they can't design it exactly the way you are saying. it can have that "intent" but not achieve the same goal. thats all.

If you want to give rewards to people with five R5 Bounty Hunters, you don't need an event at all. You can just run a script to see who has them and send them rewards.

Feats that are merely gear checks have a low level of engagement and enjoyment; there is nothing to "do". The length of the event isn't long enough to level up your characters, and adding gear isn't "gameplay".

correct, I dont think anyone is disputing that.

Then why on earth would you design the event in this manner?

The long-standing complaint about this game is the lack of new things to do; adding rewards for gear checks doesn't do anything to solve that problem. As far as I can tell the only thing it did was make people even angrier.

I realize this is an exhibition/open beta/whatever, but whoever came up with the rewards structure seems to lack a conceptual understanding of what a "game" or a "reward" is. Either that or we're being elaborately trolled.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Next thing they will be making it so you have to have OR team members at 17,500 gp to unlock a top character .

I am also upset that my minimum investment into a team won't get me the best rewards in a game mode.
    I should be able to get the same rewards as everyone else regardless of how much time and effort I put into it . I should also be able to get the same score and rewards in a raid with no investment into good raid teams and gear , this game makes no sense I mean what kind of company rewards players for spending/ doing well and putting time and or money in the game and then doesn't give the same rewards to those not ready or prepared .

People want equal outcome instead of equal opportunity and that's why communism doesn't work in practice .

If you want to only reward people with relic 5 Bounty Hunters, then make content that is only beatable with relic 5 Bounty Hunters. Don’t make it doable with g12 Bounty Hunters and then only give half the rewards because the team used was too weak.

with the variability of mods and RNG, it is quite hard for them to make that happen. We see this all the time with events and the reports of people trying at the recommended and some do it, and some can't.

Why is this a problem though? If you are good enough to accomplish it with less then who cares?

My point is that those 2 "walls" are not really equivalent, because one is much more clear cut than the other. so they can't design it exactly the way you are saying. it can have that "intent" but not achieve the same goal. thats all.

If you want to give rewards to people with five R5 Bounty Hunters, you don't need an event at all. You can just run a script to see who has them and send them rewards.

Feats that are merely gear checks have a low level of engagement and enjoyment; there is nothing to "do". The length of the event isn't long enough to level up your characters, and adding gear isn't "gameplay".

The long-standing complaint about this game is the lack of new things to do; adding rewards for gear checks doesn't do anything to solve that problem. As far as I can tell the only thing it did was make people even angrier.

I realize this is an exhibition/open beta/whatever, but whoever came up with the rewards structure seems to lack a conceptual understanding of what a "game" or a "reward" is. Either that or we're being elaborately trolled.

I am not a dev and did not design this.

lack of things to do and gear check for rewards are 2 different issues. if they put the gear check on the event and you couldn't do it that would be one thing, but they didn't. People getting/being angry is its own separate issue.

or due to it being an exhibition things like that are just placeholders while they gather feedback on multiple areas. either way, they have acknowledged this is being looked at, and we should focus on providing constructive feedback.
  • Options

lack of things to do and gear check for rewards are 2 different issues. if they put the gear check on the event and you couldn't do it that would be one thing, but they didn't. People getting/being angry is its own separate issue.

or due to it being an exhibition things like that are just placeholders while they gather feedback on multiple areas. either way, they have acknowledged this is being looked at, and we should focus on providing constructive feedback.

My first comment was rhetorical - I know you are not one of the game devs.

I am offering constructive feedback. The rewards structure in its current iteration should never have reached the open testing phase, and whichever employee designed it should be embarrassed and ashamed of their effort. It's a conceptual problem rather than one of execution; the best "rewards" are not correlated with gameplay in any meaningful way and it shows a crass disregard for the user experience and long-standing pain points.

Open testing is useful for making adjustments or exposing bugs (and there are definitely places in Galactic Challenges where this needs to happen), but at its core the game mode is neither engaging nor rewarding for the 99% of users who don't pass the gear gate. How this wasn't readily apparent at the first brainstorming meeting defies all logic.

I realize this is harsh criticism, especially after months of work, but I think this game mode is a dud and that they should go back to the drawing board entirely. This isn't what most of us have been asking for, and I don't see myself engaging with it either monetarily or temporally; I suppose I could be an outlier, but my guildmates seem pretty tepid as well.

As I said in a previous post, I'd give Galactic Challenges in its current state a D-. I think if they put some effort into adjusting the difficulty and rewards, it might eventually be C content.
  • Options

I realize this is harsh criticism, especially after months of work, but I think this game mode is a dud and that they should go back to the drawing board entirely. This isn't what most of us have been asking for, and I don't see myself engaging with it either monetarily or temporally; I suppose I could be an outlier, but my guildmates seem pretty tepid as well.

As I said in a previous post, I'd give Galactic Challenges in its current state a D-. I think if they put some effort into adjusting the difficulty and rewards, it might eventually be C content.

I don’t think it needs to go back to the drawing board. The rewards do. They are a disaster on so many levels and we’ve already hit on that. I agree with everything you said about them. But the actual event today I thought was pretty good. It is too easy and the duration is too long. But give us this type of thing on a daily basis and I’ll be happy with it.
  • Options
    @Bulldog1205 so just to clarify would you prefer it if there was no R5 gate and they just made the levels harder to force you to invest more ( wether it be gear mods or stars ) and that way make it more like the chewie event or T3 assault battles, yes it can be done with minimum investment but chances are you will need God mods or God rng .
    Which would be more consistent with other events .
  • Options

I don’t think it needs to go back to the drawing board. The rewards do. They are a disaster on so many levels and we’ve already hit on that. I agree with everything you said about them. But the actual event today I thought was pretty good. It is too easy and the duration is too long. But give us this type of thing on a daily basis and I’ll be happy with it.

This is an earnest question, but what was "pretty good" about the event today?

As someone with only a few G12 bounty hunters, I found it to be pretty uninspiring. I was able to finish tiers I-IV on the first attempt without reading any of the modifiers, and then I used SLKR and KRU to finish tiers V-VII.
    Total play time was about 10 minutes. I still don't really understand the Global modifier (it may be buggy), and the tiers I was able to complete with Bounty Hunters were so easy that the Player modifier was mostly irrelevant (never got to the payout). I actually found the previous GC to be more engaging.

I did replay the event a few times with my Rebel Fighters to do some testing, which is appreciated, but it's not a terribly useful sandbox with all the preloaded TM and modifiers.
  • Options
    @Bulldog1205 so just to clarify would you prefer it if there was no R5 gate and they just made the levels harder to force you to invest more ( wether it be gear mods or stars ) and that way make it more like the chewie event or T3 assault battles, yes it can be done with minimum investment but chances are you will need God mods or God rng .

Regardless of what they do rewards, I would like there to be a tier/feat that is a real accomplishment to complete. Something that is fairly repeatable at max or near max relics with the proper team, proper modding, and proper strategy. It should feel like a daily puzzle to figure out what that is. If it can also be done with a less ideal team if you happen to have God mods or try 100 times for perfect RNG then that’s fine.

I think the rewards should then be set up so it’s not heavily weighted to being able to complete the hardest challenge. They did a good job with this on assault battles IMO. The final tier gives solid rewards, but you aren’t going to fall behind if you can’t do it and shouldn’t feel obligated to spend 90 minutes praying to RNGesus to get those rewards.
  • Options

As someone with only a few G12 bounty hunters, I found it to be pretty uninspiring. I was able to finish tiers I-IV on the first attempt without reading any of the modifiers, and then I used SLKR and KRU to finish tiers V-VII.
    Total play time was about 10 minutes. I still don't really understand the Global modifier (it may be buggy), and the tiers I was able to complete with Bounty Hunters were so easy that the Player modifier was mostly irrelevant (never got to the payout). I actually found the previous GC to be more engaging.

I did replay the event a few times with my Rebel Fighters to do some testing, which is appreciated, but it's not a terribly useful sandbox with all the preloaded TM and modifiers.

It’s was 100% too easy. No doubt about that. For the sake of making a video I tried to see how many unique teams I could use to complete the two non BH feats. Playing through it at a more challenging level at times, I thought the event ability was actually really cool. I don’t think we’ve ever seen an ability shared between the two sides, have we? Cooldowns and all? I didn’t get to use the player bonus because I didn’t have BH, but I thought the Empire bonus was solid and added something new to the battle that was worthwhile.
  • Options

It’s was 100% too easy. No doubt about that. For the sake of making a video I tried to see how many unique teams I could use to complete the two non BH feats. Playing through it at a more challenging level at times, I thought the event ability was actually really cool. I don’t think we’ve ever seen an ability shared between the two sides, have we? Cooldowns and all? I didn’t get to use the player bonus because I didn’t have BH, but I thought the Empire bonus was solid and added something new to the battle that was worthwhile.

Putting aside the glitchiness (enemy units seem to be able to use Volatile Energies when stunned/feared/ability blocked), the shared cooldown is a pretty neat concept. I think this is definitely one area where additional play-testing is needed though - it's not fun if your TM-loaded opponent deletes one of your characters before you take a turn, and it's very hard to be strategic about it with the lack of info about turn order and unit speed - but I'll concede that there is some promise here.

Difficulty tuning is also going to be a challenge; SLKR seems to be able to breeze through these events on auto, but ramping things up may make them impossible for other factions.

I'm also unclear as to how often new GCs will be introduced. Expecting an entirely new play-balanced puzzle every two days seems unrealistic, but having the same handful of events over and over will become stale very quickly. If the factions and modifiers are randomized, I would think the quality would be very inconsistent (some days will be way too easy, while others may prove impossible)?

On a broader level, I think GCs may eventually prove adequate as an appetizer; these types of puzzles could prove to be a significant improvement over Omega Battles, Training Droid Heists, et al as daily morsels. But for a community as starved for new content I just don't think this is enough, and I hope it isn't the "main course".
  • Options

Regardless of what they do rewards, I would like there to be a tier/feat that is a real accomplishment to complete. Something that is fairly repeatable at max or near max relics with the proper team, proper modding, and proper strategy. It should feel like a daily puzzle to figure out what that is. If it can also be done with a less ideal team if you happen to have God mods or try 100 times for perfect RNG then that’s fine.

I think the rewards should then be set up so it’s not heavily weighted to being able to complete the hardest challenge. They did a good job with this on assault battles IMO. The final tier gives solid rewards, but you aren’t going to fall behind if you can’t do it and shouldn’t feel obligated to spend 90 minutes praying to RNGesus to get those rewards.

Is that a yes then ?

Also....
    "I think the rewards should then be set up so it’s not heavily weighted to being able to complete the hardest challenge. ".... To clarify you think the hardest challenges shouldn't give the best rewards ?
  • Options
    I didn't manage to pass the "g12 bh" feat, although I had a g12 bh team. As the rewards were kinda interesting (not a lot, but still something I could use), I did put some time and effort to try and beat this puzzle with my roster. I failed miserably, but it was engaging enough so I really gave it a try. Rewards didn't make me want to gear my bh tough ;)
    About the rewards behind a gear check. Even if I would rather not have it, I guess it could be a new strategic layer if there is a clear view of how often this feat is coming back, to make it an enlightened decision, like AB. For instance, after the exhibition period, if we know that Sith will have a GC about every month (every 2 days is about 15 factions a month) and know the rewards behind it, then it could be a strategic choice to gear them up to the task.
  • Options

Is that a yes then ?

Also....
    "I think the rewards should then be set up so it’s not heavily weighted to being able to complete the hardest challenge. ".... To clarify you think the hardest challenges shouldn't give the best rewards ?

Rewards are cumulative here. 7 tiers and 3 feats per tier there are basically 28 different sets of rewards. Every set needs to have worthwhile rewards (otherwise don’t even have them exist). The most difficult feat or two can have the best rewards without making up a very high percentage of value of the overall rewards.
  • Options

Is that a yes then ?

Also....

Rewards are cumulative here. 7 tiers and 3 feats per tier there are basically 28 different sets of rewards. Every set needs to have worthwhile rewards (otherwise don’t even have them exist). The most difficult feat or two can have the best rewards without making up a very high percentage of value of the overall rewards.

Well if the event is "100% too easy" then wouldn't weighting the best rewards for the most difficult feats make the most sense .

Again is it a yes or no to scrapping the written relic gate in return for a bump in difficulty that might force a player to relic the toons needed ? Because history of the game has shown that events that don't have forced gear requirements end up pushing you towards one with the events difficulty ,Assault battles, chewie and C3 come to mind again .

I understand though I would rather think I could get rewards I probably have no chance obtaining due to my current position and try 100 times or try to spend time swapping mods than be not allowed to try at all.
  • Ultra
    11541 posts Moderator
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Sewpot wrote: »
    6vbm8gsudg5t.png

Seconded.
  • Options

Is that a yes then ?

Also....

Well if the event is "100% too easy" then wouldn't weighting the best rewards for the most difficult feats make the most sense .

Again is it a yes or no to scrapping the written relic gate in return for a bump in difficulty that might force a player to relic the toons needed ? Because history of the game has shown that events that don't have forced gear requirements end up pushing you towards one with the events difficulty ,Assault battles, chewie and C3 come to mind again .

I understand though I would rather think I could get rewards I probably have no chance obtaining due to my current position and try 100 times or try to spend time swapping mods than be not allowed to try at all.

It’s not as simple as yes or no. If the min requirements are there to prevent hackers from cheating with low gear characters or people getting frustrated because they try it 200 times and can’t win with the same team they saw someone get lucky with on Reddit then that’s fine. But that’s not what they’ve been so far. Today’s feat was nothing more than a relic check. The difficulty is tuned to G12/G13, not relic 5.
  • Treeburner
    773 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Is that a yes then ?

Also....

It’s not as simple as yes or no. If the min requirements are there to prevent hackers from cheating with low gear characters or people getting frustrated because they try it 200 times and can’t win with the same team they saw someone get lucky with on Reddit then that’s fine. But that’s not what they’ve been so far. Today’s feat was nothing more than a relic check. The difficulty is tuned to G12/G13, not relic 5.

So would you like the difficulty tuned to relic 5 and them take the requirements away ?

We will get there in the end lol

EDIT: if you can't answer this then I think politics should be your next career if it's not already .
  • Options

Is that a yes then ?

Also....

So would you like the difficulty tuned to relic 5 and them take the requirements away ?

EDIT: if you can't answer this then I think politics should be your next career if it's not already .

Lol. I’m not trying to be confusing or give a difficult answer. I just think there are multiple paths. I personally would completely remove all relic requirements from the feats, yes. I’m just saying if you do have them, it should actually be the minimum recommendation to complete the battle, not just a simple relic check for rewards.
  • Options

Is that a yes then ?

Also....

Lol. I’m not trying to be confusing or give a difficult answer. I just think there are multiple paths. I personally would completely remove all relic requirements from the feats, yes. I’m just saying if you do have them, it should actually be the minimum recommendation to complete the battle, not just a simple relic check for rewards.

So yes then....to clarify you believe if the event requires you to have a certain gear level, the event should be at the difficulty of the gear level needed .

And you would like the written requirements to be removed as would I and most others ,but like I have been trying to point out , if you remove written requirements you need to replace it with a difficulty setting so there is a clear jump in difficulty from one level to the next , which could end up forcing people to invest anyway but yeah not a straight gear check like it is now .
    These questions were not a trap that needed dodging i was describing what happens with most events , the requirements are set by the difficulty not the gear and the gear is what Is used by most to overcome the difficulty unless RNG with mods or luck is on your side .

• Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    6vbm8gsudg5t.png

Seconded.

Surprise! ;)
  • Ultra
    11541 posts Moderator
    Options
    Piewalker wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    6vbm8gsudg5t.png

Seconded.

Surprise! ;)

You aren't really looking at the big picture if you think shards is better than crystals. Yeah, people don't have Greef so it looks better now, but when you do, its just **** currency. For example, When we do get Old Republic GC, the reward for 5x r5 toons being 5 Jolee shards will be a joke compared to 175 crystals.

If I had to gear up only 5 Bounty Hunters to g13, i would rather wait a few more weeks and farm Greef and push him to g13 rather than work on 5 other BH just so I can get 8 extra shards a month
  • Options
    @Solus_Imperius
    You're just complaining to complain.

Um, either that or maybe CG specifically asked for our feedback on the test run of GalChallenges and we're providing feedback because we're good people who are doing what was asked of us even though we're not getting paid?

I don't know, seems pretty rude to tell people they're complaining to complain when they were talking to CG answering a question from CG. What's your problem with people having conversations and answering questions that they were asked?
    Farm the specific faction, get the rewards.
    Oh the audacity to create a new event you can't 100% instantaneously...
    Looks like you have a new goal now.

LOL. No.

That's the whole point. There is no new goal. The extra gear is so little that the amount required to boost a faction to the point where they can collect the reward 1x/month dramatically outpaces the rewards that you'll get back over a period of 5 years.

Put it this way, you can either get these rewards 3x/month OR you can get SLKR. Which would you take?

Literally no one is going to make GalChallenge rewards a "goal". They'll have other goals and other reasons to relic toons, and eventually that will mean that they'll start collecting these rewards. (Though you notice that CG specifically excluded Resistance & FO from the favored factions b/c they knew that people were farming multiple r5 toons for other reasons.)

But no one, NO ONE is going to make GalChallenge top tiers a "goal".

And that's part of the problem. We're not "complaining" at all, we're giving feedback, and the feedback isn't that we should get free, instant rewards with no difficulty or accomplishment. The feedback we're giving is that the GC's as created are simply irrelevant. The provide trivial rewards to people who are smacking down the hardest tiers with a GL and not losing a toon - if CG wanted to reward progress, they would certainly have made a tier that's hard to win without a GL and given rewards for that. They require an investment for the rewards that they do give that is not at all proportionate to what you receive, and therefore simply don't encourage roster development. And, finally, they say that they want GC to encourage use of your "full roster". Except it doesn't. It encourages use of only a single faction at a time up to that point where you can't beat it any more, then encourages switching to only one other faction, whichever is your best. Doing the first few waves with one squad and then switching to your GL isn't using your "full roster" (actually I think they said the "breadth of your roster" or the "depth of your roster", but whatevs).

Nope, GCs add no goals, add no reasonable rewards for most folks, and at most require playing twice (once for the 5x Favored Faction & 1x undersized squad).

You are, quite simply, wrong.
  • Options
    Really?? So you need relic 5+ characters to EARN mark 1 stun guns that you can farm with 24 energy????? This is offensive to the most loyal players who have grounded away, spent $$, and played long enough to get those relic toons......
  • Options
    Really?? So you need relic 5+ characters to EARN mark 1 stun guns that you can farm with 24 energy????? This is offensive to the most loyal players who have grounded away, spent $$, and played long enough to get those relic toons......
  • Options
    Some may imagine CG has a noble quest at hand

A chance to create new and exciting events for players of all levels

I myself suspect a more prosaic motive

A chance to sell packs, or something of that ilk
  • Options
    @Treeburner

No one who can beat T7 has put in only "minimum investment".
    I should be able to get the same rewards as everyone else regardless of how much time and effort I put into it

Said literally no one in this conversation. Maybe you should read the thread before commenting?
    I should also be able to get the same score and rewards in a raid with no investment into good raid teams and gear , this game makes no sense I mean what kind of company rewards players for spending/ doing well and putting time and or money in the game and then doesn't give the same rewards to those not ready or prepared .

If I get a score of 2M in a raid and someone else gets a score of 1M, I will get equal or better rewards than that 2nd person even if the person after me used an 5x r5 squad to get those 1 million points of damage.

It doesn't really seem like you understand the points that you're arguing, because they aren't serving you well.

I HAVE NO AUTHORITY, SO THIS IS JUST MY REQUEST, but please keep your political trolling to yourself, or at the very least take it to some forum where politics is one of the acceptable topics. Again, I have no authority, but I do have cut & paste and know where to find the forum guidelines:
    ● Keep it game-related. We're not here to debate politics or religion or lobby for anything, so keep the conversation about our games.

• Options
    @Treeburner

No one who can beat T7 has put in only "minimum investment".
    I should be able to get the same rewards as everyone else regardless of how much time and effort I put into it

Said literally no one in this conversation. Maybe you should read the thread before commenting?
    I should also be able to get the same score and rewards in a raid with no investment into good raid teams and gear , this game makes no sense I mean what kind of company rewards players for spending/ doing well and putting time and or money in the game and then doesn't give the same rewards to those not ready or prepared .

If I get a score of 2M in a raid and someone else gets a score of 1M, I will get equal or better rewards than that 2nd person even if the person after me used an 5x r5 squad to get those 1 million points of damage.

It doesn't really seem like you understand the points that you're arguing, because they aren't serving you well.

I HAVE NO AUTHORITY, SO THIS IS JUST MY REQUEST, but please keep your political trolling to yourself, or at the very least take it to some forum where politics is one of the acceptable topics. Again, I have no authority, but I do have cut & paste and know where to find the forum guidelines:
    ● Keep it game-related. We're not here to debate politics or religion or lobby for anything, so keep the conversation about our games.

I have beaten tier 7 and I didn't have 5 sith at R5 nor do I have 5 BH at r5 so I didn't get the best rewards in that game mode as my investment to beat it with said faction is small.
    Anything unfactual about that statement?

There is such a thing as minimum investment for every game mode that is in the game, EG some people unlocked c3 with low gear ewoks some choose to go to g12 to do it.
    Same question I asked bulldog , would you be okay if they removed the written relic gear check and just made the event only really beatable with that gear level , having the difficulty set the
    Rewards rather than a gear check ?

Other than that most of my points in that post were in jest I'm glad you managed to pick that up lol.

Any comments on the written gear/ GP power requirements to unlock malak because like most game modes that require you to have a certain toon at a GP most people find that GP number to be more than what is needed as mods and rng play a factor ,seems like you brushed past the only valid point and went straight at the jokes
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Let's stop bickering, or do it in a direct message and let's stay on topic.
  • Options
    First off I have not read through this whole thread, and I'm not looking to get into a long winded discussion on this.
    Just putting my thoughts out there because thats the only thing we can do to hope for CG to change this.

The rewards for the galactic challenges are extremely disappointing.
    I don't know about other players. But personally Kryos and the finisher pieces are not in short supply for me at all.
    Almost every toon that I take to G13 I have the finisher piece done, before I get the middle and top right side pieces. From assault battles, TB, TW and dailies we already get more then enough kryos and finisher pieces.

For me personally there are 3 main choke points on gearing toons.
    1. The usuals. Stun guns, cuffs, carbs, droid callers etc.
    2. All the other G12 gear for all the pieces but the finisher.
    3. Electrium and zinbaccle relic pieces.

I think Galactic Challenges as a game mode has the potential to be very fun. Using different factions, and CGs ability to change up the feats so its not the same thing over and over.

But the rewards are in no way worth the investment. Simply because as I described above I will have to use 2 of the 3 choke points of gear just to get the toons to a high enough level to get the top rewards.

But let's not even just look at tier 7. Even tiers 1-6 give almost 100% useless gear.
    Tier 5 of the BH GC gives you some carbs. And I think the Greef shards are a nice addition. But even as a newer player these rewards give absolutely 0 incentive to ever improve these teams.

I'm not going to claim to have the solution but at the moment I am not excited for any future GCs. CG, you need to do something about this.