Guild hopping is now officially associated with known exploits: will exploiters be punished?

Replies

• GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TommySitt wrote: »
    chrischaos wrote: »
    I've been contacted by 6 clients in the last 12 hours for merc help and can't go. Because now it will hurt me instead of help. But here's the rub George-I would GLADLY go for free! No rewards whatsoever IF I wasn't penalized (48 hour cooldown). The devs could have given us a guild designation or maybe 2. Only can receive awards from these 2 guilds-period. Allows the alt farm which is still allowed and viable. But also allows me to merc. No additional rewards though. But again, that's not what this change was about. They simply don't want weaker players and FTP players advancing without payment.

True, Synergy helped us out a bunch of times, they would come in for p4, and would rank pretty low, but they would do it with zero drama whenever we called. They never tried to persuade us to let them raid P1/P2 and leave us the rest.

You do realise that getting hired hands in to help you complete a T7 is essentially bipassing a progression barrier right?
  • Lithium
    76 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've been contacted by 6 clients in the last 12 hours for merc help and can't go. Because now it will hurt me instead of help. But here's the rub George-I would GLADLY go for free! No rewards whatsoever IF I wasn't penalized (48 hour cooldown). The devs could have given us a guild designation or maybe 2. Only can receive awards from these 2 guilds-period. Allows the alt farm which is still allowed and viable. But also allows me to merc. No additional rewards though. But again, that's not what this change was about. They simply don't want weaker players and FTP players advancing without payment.

Considering you've been on 4x rewards for however long at these guys expense, i feel it's only fair to continue to help them until the debt is repaid. But your wages have been higher than a regular spot for some time so you probably don't see it that way.

Its funny how you haven't grasped the concept of mercing at all. The fact is that not only did the mercs get more rewards but so did every single person in the guild they helped. There is no "outstanding" payment. No guild that called mercs was doing it todo the mercs a favor. They did it to help themselves.

What you also need to realize is that for every one of your type that come to the forums and whines about gaps and advantages in the game, there are many more that simply identify the legit opportunities presented to them and work to close the gaps and advantages. Not everyone wants to spend 100s of dollars to buy gear from the shop. You need to take a step back and think about who your constant complaining actually hurts - because it isn't the P2P playerbase or the organized guilds and guild collectives. It is primarily the F2P playerbase and moderate spenders who have enough walls and hurdles to deal with in this game anyways. Well, unless that was your intention all along in which case well done.

• GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

True, Synergy helped us out a bunch of times, they would come in for p4, and would rank pretty low, but they would do it with zero drama whenever we called. They never tried to persuade us to let them raid P1/P2 and leave us the rest.

You do realise that getting hired hands in to help you complete a T7 is essentially bipassing a progression barrier right?

Yes, and so was precraft 1.0 and 2.0. We needed to regain lost ground, and guild hopping was the only available method

Sorry but this is drivel. Precraft had nothing to do with it. You get gear from T6. My guild did T6 for quite a while before taking on T7.... That is progression. We didn't have to call in someone else to bipass that progression. Your arguement is so far from valid and to top it off, Now your trying to make out that there was a huge amount of people who ever thought it was good for the game. This party was over months ago trying to argue a case for guild hopping and you lost.

It is one of the reasons there is now only about 50 active members on this forum and so many players left the game.
  • Options

Yes, and so was precraft 1.0 and 2.0. We needed to regain lost ground, and guild hopping was the only available method

Sorry but this is drivel. Precraft had nothing to do with it. You get gear from T6. My guild did T6 for quite a while before taking on T7.... That is progression. We didn't have to call in someone else to bipass that progression. Your arguement is so far from valid and to top it off, Now your trying to make out that there was a huge amount of people who ever thought it was good for the game. This party was over months ago trying to argue a case for guild hopping and you lost.

It is one of the reasons there is now only about 50 active members on this forum and so many players left the game.

Again, while people like you come here and whine, others like Tommy figure out how to clear the hurdles.

I've seen your posts on this thread and you tend to assume alot about how people feel and why they do things and you are well and completely off base. Just because there is a vocal lot of players who come to the forums and reddit and whine, dont assume that your lot represent a majority of the swgoh community because you dont.
  • Options
    Lithium wrote: »
    I did read the comments. The issue is that you've convinced yourself that hopping/alt farming is an exploit and see everything from that perspective.
    If you read the comments then it was clear where my references to Vader shards came from, and what they were a rebuttal to. Yet you continued to hammer away at this point as though it was raised as anything other than a response to someone else.

From my perspective the issue is that you've convinced yourself that alt farming and guild hopping is no longer seen as an issue and see everything from that perspective. In the very least I have presented arguments why it may be considered an exploit at this tie, while you just sit there and repeat your conclusion that it isn't.

• GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Again, while people like you come here and whine, others like Tommy figure out how to clear the hurdles.

I've seen your posts on this thread and you tend to assume alot about how people feel and why they do things and you are well and completely off base. Just because there is a vocal lot of players who come to the forums and reddit and whine, dont assume that your lot represent a majority of the swgoh community because you dont.

It's not a whine, It's a debate and you guys lose everytime. You have no arguement. There was a poll on it and 93% said it was bad for the game. Most everyone on the forum here and also on reddit was against it. You are the one who is making assumptions, I have data to back up my claims.
  • Options
    I did read the comments. The issue is that you've convinced yourself that hopping/alt farming is an exploit and see everything from that perspective.
    If you read the comments then it was clear where my references to Vader shards came from, and what they were a rebuttal to. Yet you continued to hammer away at this point as though it was raised as anything other than a response to someone else.

From my perspective the issue is that you've convinced yourself that alt farming and guild hopping is no longer seen as an issue and see everything from that perspective. In the very least I have presented arguments why it may be considered an exploit at this tie, while you just sit there and repeat your conclusion that it isn't.

Good job selectively quoting my post and then going in circles again.

You don't seem to understand that there are no arguments. There is no grey area. I don't have to convince myself of anything. Hopping was and is legit. Alt farming was and is legit. I keep repeating my conclusion because it is the only conclusion no matter how many different angles you try to argue from.
  • Scruffy_Looking
    244 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

You don't seem to understand that there are no arguments. There is no grey area. I don't have to convince myself of anything. Hopping was and is legit. Alt farming was and is legit. I keep repeating my conclusion because it is the only conclusion no matter how many different angles you try to argue from.
    Have you ever presented a bit of evidence to back up your claim?

I mean, you can't even say how my selective quoting apparently distorted your message. (Maybe the reason you can't is because I quoted 100% of your response to me.)

Hopping and alting is legit because this is the only conclusion you can reach. You can't explain how you've reached it, but it's the only conclusion you can reach. And sure, you don't have to convince yourself of anything... but people rarely write things on a public forum with the goal of convincing themselves: they write to convince others.

On the other hand, we have the devs saying that this change is to help fix a known exploit. None of the guild hoppers here can come up with an exploit that might be addressed by this. Which is to say that there doesn't seem to be an exploit being addressed except guild hopping itself, a practice which has been described in the past as pushing the boundaries and intentions of the devs. (And yes, I'm aware this change doesn't actually prevent alt farming, although it makes it slightly more difficult.)
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

You don't seem to understand that there is no grey area here. Alt farming is a game mechanic exploit and abuse of the guild feature. There's no other way a person of sound mind and critical thinking abilities can interpret the evidence to suggest otherwise.

@Scruffy_Looking Alt farming isn't difficult. Just requires Time on an Alt account. It's even easier now they raised the cap on allies. It only takes 50 crystals a day so you don't even need a good rank in arena to do it. Say you get a 2600 crystal pack. probably last you at least a month without including crystals from arena. The returns for 100 crystals are 500k credits, raid gear and han shards. It's the best deal in the game.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

You don't seem to understand that there is no grey area here. Alt farming is a game mechanic exploit and abuse of the guild feature. There's no other way a person of sound mind and critical thinking abilities can interpret the evidence to suggest otherwise.

Only EA/CG can determine if something is, or is not, an exploit. In this case EA didnt label guildhopping an exploit, so it isnt an exploit. Even if it should be an exploit, looks like an exploit, sounds like an exploit, has all the characteristics of an exploit, it still isnt an exploit.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Lithium
    76 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Have you ever presented a bit of evidence to back up your claim?

I mean, you can't even say how my selective quoting apparently distorted your message. (Maybe the reason you can't is because I quoted 100% of your response to me.)

Weren't you the one asking me to read posts before I reply? Practice what you preach.

Hopping and alting is legit because this is the only conclusion you can reach. You can't explain how you've reached it, but it's the only conclusion you can reach. And sure, you don't have to convince yourself of anything... but people rarely write things on a public forum with the goal of convincing themselves: they write to convince others.

Nope, not a conclusion I have reached but simply a fact. I don't have to present any evidence. But since you wish to dispute this fact, you are welcome to provide evidence to the contrary.

On the other hand, we have the devs saying that this change is to help fix a known exploit. None of the guild hoppers here can come up with an exploit that might be addressed by this. Which is to say that there doesn't seem to be an exploit being addressed except guild hopping itself, a practice which has been described in the past as pushing the boundaries and intentions of the devs. (And yes, I'm aware this change doesn't actually prevent alt farming, although it makes it slightly more difficult.)

Just because no one has volunteered information about an exploit - it does not at all indicate that hopping itself is the exploit. Just because you believe something - it does not make it true.

Yes devs have said that it is pushing the boundaries - pushing and NOT crossing - so once again, not an exploit.

Which brings me to the one right thing that you have said - the change doesn't prevent alt farming. Nor does it prevent hopping. It just makes both a little harder to do. But it makes neither of them exploits.

• GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Again....

Alt farming isn't difficult. Just requires (very little) Time on an Alt account (5 mins plus cashing free energy). It's even easier now they raised the cap on allies. It only takes 50 crystals a day so you don't even need a good rank in arena to do it. Say you get a 2600 crystal pack. probably last you at least a month without including crystals from arena. The returns for 100 crystals are 500k credits, raid gear and han shards. It's the best deal in the game.

Do you think EA mind?
  • Options

Nope, not a conclusion I have reached but simply a fact. I don't have to present any evidence. But since you wish to dispute this fact, you are welcome to provide evidence to the contrary.
    Opinions don't become facts just because you say so.
    Just because no one has volunteered information about an exploit - it does not at all indicate that hopping itself is the exploit. Just because you believe something - it does not make it true.

Yes devs have said that it is pushing the boundaries - pushing and NOT crossing - so once again, not an exploit.

Which brings me to the one right thing that you have said - the change doesn't prevent alt farming. Nor does it prevent hopping. It just makes both a little harder to do. But it makes neither of them exploits.
    Devs can change their mind, you know. Like how they changed mods. Or how they changed whether you could accept the raid rewards popping up for some people the last couple of days. Or how they've continuously changed rules related to guild hopping and alt farming in the months since guilds were introduced.

And I understand that the shifting policies on guild hopping does not make guild hopping and alt farming an exploit. What does make something an exploit is the developers referring to something as a known exploit. I understand that there could be a ultra-secret, super-obscure exploit that was simultaneously so important that they felt they had to introduce this change. That could be the known exploit they're talking about. But it seems unlikely.

I've given my reasoning for my opinion; you've failed to do the same (and make no mistake, yours is an opinion, and not a fact).
    leef wrote: »
    Only EA/CG can determine if something is, or is not, an exploit. In this case EA didnt label guildhopping an exploit, so it isnt an exploit. Even if it should be an exploit, looks like an exploit, sounds like an exploit, has all the characteristics of an exploit, it still isnt an exploit.
    Well, I suppose the problem is that EA didn't precisely say what the exploit is, but left the easy inference that guild hopping and alt farming is the exploit they are attempting to address.

• Options
    I would provide evidence but I actually can't be bothered and do not want to get warned for beating a dead horse or flaming a situation. What i will say is that the ToS are very clear and the whole arguement is completely echo'd in the wikipedia page for video game exploit which suggests this is completely that.

ToS are clear on this regardless of what a dev said. Hence last point which is my favourite point.

LOD9KC5.png
  • Options

Opinions don't become facts just because you say so.

Calling facts opinions doesn't make them opinions just because you say so. You still haven't presented any arguments that dispute the fact that guild hopping is not an exploit.

Devs can change their mind, you know. Like how they changed mods. Or how they changed whether you could accept the raid rewards popping up for some people the last couple of days. Or how they've continuously changed rules related to guild hopping and alt farming in the months since guilds were introduced.

And I understand that the shifting policies on guild hopping does not make guild hopping and alt farming an exploit. What does make something an exploit is the developers referring to something as a known exploit. I understand that there could be a ultra-secret, super-obscure exploit that was simultaneously so important that they felt they had to introduce this change. That could be the known exploit they're talking about. But it seems unlikely.

I've given my reasoning for my opinion; you've failed to do the same (and make no mistake, yours is an opinion, and not a fact).

If the dev's do change their mind - the restrictions will be coded into the game. Until then, the fact is that hopping is not an exploit (not an opinion and requires no reasoning)

• GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Lithium I just proved what you just said above is wrong in the previous post. Read it, read the ToS, then come back and try and dispute it.
  • Options
    @Lithium I just proved what you just said above is wrong in the previous post. Read it, read the ToS, then come back and try and dispute it.

Your interpretation does not prove anything. It may have helped shape your opinion which I won't waste time changing.

• GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Your interpretation does not prove anything. It may have helped shape your opinion which I won't waste time changing.

There's nothing to misinterpret. Please do tell me where I am wrong.
  • HershBathens
    821 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I too would gladly do additional raids for no rewards ad long as i could get rewards with my home guild. But no. I have already lost a 6th place reward with my home guild yesterday. So i am forced to do alt farming instead.
  • Options

Nope - not going to waste my time changing your opinion which is based on your interpretation of the TOS, what the devs said etc etc.
  • HershBathens
    821 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

• Options
    If the dev's do change their mind - the restrictions will be coded into the game. Until then, the fact is that hopping is not an exploit (not an opinion and requires no reasoning)
    The Vader exploit was not an exploit because the game mechanic allowed it.
    Collecting multiple raid rewards is still not an exploit because the game mechanic allows it.
    In fact, by your standard, whatever "known exploit" the devs were talking about is not actually an exploit because the language of the post acknowledges that the changes will only "mitigate"—and not eliminate—these exploits.

• GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Nope - not going to waste my time changing your opinion which is based on your interpretation of the TOS, what the devs said etc etc.

You aren't disputing it because you can't.
  • Options
    The Vader exploit was not an exploit because the game mechanic allowed it.
    Collecting multiple raid rewards is still not an exploit because the game mechanic allows it.
    In fact, by your standard, whatever "known exploit" the devs were talking about is not actually an exploit because the language of the post acknowledges that the changes will only "mitigate"—and not eliminate—these exploits.

Nope not my logic. Its just you trying to draw parallels again where there are none.
  • Options
    FebaBott wrote: »
    Part of @EA_Jesse's patch notes includes the following:
    • To incentivize players to remain in one guild and mitigate some known exploits associated with Guild Switching, there is now a 48 hour cooldown period where a player will not receive Raid rewards for a Raid completed within 48 hours of leaving the previous Guild.
    So, guild hopping and alt farming has been officially described as a "known exploit." We all know that EA has punished exploiters in the past, as is currently suspending players who collected multiple raid rewards (even after those players received confirmation they could collect multiple raid rewards).
    Yet we also know that guild hoppers have never been punished, and that they plan to continue to guild hop and complete 6 or more raids per week. And while they claim that they received confirmation from the devs that guild hopping was OK, we know that receiving confirmation is not preventing the current round of suspensions. So my question is whether those who continue to guild hop and alt farm will be punished for taking advantage of this "known exploit."

There's no claim, there are 2 official posts regarding it in the updates section:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/42338/guild-hopping-and-you

Since it's obvious you don't take the time to research I'll give you some quotes from it.
    It has come to my attention that there may be some unintended behaviour with guild hopping--a potential bug or the likes--that may cause players to get unearned rewards.
    Let me state this very clearly: We are researching this. If you are caught abusing this, you will be banned.
    We are fine with guild hopping right now, but we are not fine with exploiting the rewards structure for little-to-no work.

Now in case you're unfamilar with the english languange, "We are fine with" means it's ok, acceptable, not an exploit, etc.

Did you get that part or did you need pictures?

meaning-of-vault-boy-thumbs-up-jpg.jpg?w=600

First off there is no exploit. There is nothing wrong with a player switching guilds, nor is there anything wrong with a main guild having a back-up guild. These things are neither fundamentally wrong, nor are they wrong in the spirit of multiplayer games.
    I must stress, there is nothing wrong with guild hopping.

Did you follow that part or should I break it down some more? Not sure how much clearer n-o-t-h-i-n-g w-r-o-n-g can be made but I'll try.

thumbs_up_star_312288.jpg

There is nothing wrong with working within the constructs of a system to beat content.

thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg

Nobody is doing anything wrong here, and if anyone was cheating or exploiting, we would have taken action. Everything that these guilds are doing, any individual in the game can do.

thumbs-up.jpg?w=720&cdnnode=1
    This is the nature of multiplayer games, folks. Some people are always going to be pushing the boundaries and the intentions. Some will always strive to be ahead, and some will always find ways to win. So long as they do this in a legal way, we have no intent on hindering that. This is the reality of gaming.
    ChuckNorristhumbsup+Emil+P.jpg

Got it now? It wasn't a shady backroom deal. A CG dev posted here on the official forums making these statements.

Now all of a sudden they want to call it an exploit because some people are **** that they couldn't or wouldn't exert that level of effort and cried for it to end.

This post is sheer awesomeness. B)