Thoughts on the tournament! (Merged Threads)

Replies

• Options
    They gave you 5,000 ally points. That is a free 10 refreshes. Plus,they gave what almost 2 weeks notice. I saved up 80k ally points since they announced it.
  • Options
    If unfair = because you just leveled (started playing late) then there are a LOT of people playing an unfair game. Only people it's "fair" for then is those of us who started around game launch.

EXAMPLE:
    When the Yoda event first started, I didn't quite have the jedi for unlock. Didn't mean the game was unfair, meant I needed to grind more.

The Yoda event happens once a month, this is the "last" Shoretrooper tournament.
  • Options
    DarthR244D wrote: »
    Yet it would be fair if you were grouped with people level 75-80? That wouldn't have been fair for the level 75 people, would it? They have to have a cut off and do some sort of grouping.

Things never seem the same when you're looking from the top down instead of the bottom up...
  • StarSon
    7521 posts Member
    Options
    Xero_Kira wrote: »
    If unfair = because you just leveled (started playing late) then there are a LOT of people playing an unfair game. Only people it's "fair" for then is those of us who started around game launch.

EXAMPLE:
    When the Yoda event first started, I didn't quite have the jedi for unlock. Didn't mean the game was unfair, meant I needed to grind more.

The Yoda event happens once a month, this is the "last" Shoretrooper tournament.

@Xero_Kira Not that I don't agree with you (the way they group the tournament servers is not ideal), but this is not the last Shoretrooper tournament. While the initial announcement said that it was, this has since been changed, as well as a few other things, like only being able to attack a team once. You should re-read the dev update: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/74796/shoretrooper-event-return-leaderboards#latest
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    Xero_Kira wrote: »

EXAMPLE:

@Xero_Kira Not that I don't agree with you (the way they group the tournament servers is not ideal), but this is not the last Shoretrooper tournament. While the initial announcement said that it was, this has since been changed, as well as a few other things, like only being able to attack a team once. You should re-read the dev update: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/74796/shoretrooper-event-return-leaderboards#latest

Thanks. Didn't notice the update.
  • Options
    Just wish I was grouped with people that aren't months ahead of me really....
  • Options
    Whenever you select your squad to battle, the time remaining to roster refresh is noted under your leader ability on the left. I'm really hoping it's right this time :)
  • Options
    I'm really hoping it's right this time :)

This
  • Options
    20k....but I dont care lol
  • Options
    sying wrote: »
    Lucky for me I barely sleep so I hit all four refreshes

If you go sleeping right after a refresh you can sleep up to about 12 hours and not miss any
  • Options
    DarthR244D wrote: »
    They gave you 5,000 ally points. That is a free 10 refreshes. Plus,they gave what almost 2 weeks notice. I saved up 80k ally points since they announced it.

That's not really my point. I started with 150k ally points, I'm pacing myself over 3 days, but there are clearly players who have over 1 million ally points (judging by the current leaderboards). With no way to obtain more (with respect, 5k ally points = 1 match, if you're playing seriously) there is no way forward if you didn't hoard for weeks prior.

As I say, this is a rare gift to FTP and whale hoarders alike, but it's also a lesson - to plan for the unexpected, to play the long game. This won't be the last time that previously "worthless" currency gains unexpected value. Congratulations to everyone who planned ahead.
  • Options
    Of course it depends who you get on your shard too. But yea I wish I hadn't been spending ally points on bronziums as well.
  • Options
    Nothing in this game is designed to be fair, balanced, or anything other than an attempt to syphon your money which is a real shame.
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    What sickens me is that the devs had previously mentioned they would NOT be using ally points for any types of refreshes again. And here we are, with an event that uses ally points for refreshes. So the lesson is that we can't trust the devs? I paid attention, and started spending ally points because the bronziums is all they were good for. Now, they've created an event that gives the top awards to the people with the most ally points. Go figure.

Having said all that, I can recognize that they tried to improve the tournament for F2P players. But I just feel this experience is not a "tournament". If they truly wanted a tournament that tested an entire roster, there should be no character refreshes. You can battle as long as you have a team of toons to throw out there. Rinse and repeat the next day.
  • Options
    A little birdie told me a lot of players were made aware of the ally points being used for something like this long before an official announcement.
    If I see one more **** attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself!
  • Options
    evanbio wrote: »
    What sickens me is that the devs had previously mentioned they would NOT be using ally points for any types of refreshes again. And here we are, with an event that uses ally points for refreshes. So the lesson is that we can't trust the devs? I paid attention, and started spending ally points because the bronziums is all they were good for. Now, they've created an event that gives the top awards to the people with the most ally points. Go figure.

Having said all that, I can recognize that they tried to improve the tournament for F2P players. But I just feel this experience is not a "tournament". If they truly wanted a tournament that tested an entire roster, there should be no character refreshes. You can battle as long as you have a team of toons to throw out there. Rinse and repeat the next day.

What you actually had to hoard are gw tokens. Now you can get 20 times as many ally points as you could hoard earlier thanks to the gw shop.
  • Options
    Prob will be shore trooper in galactic shipments!
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Let me clarify, it's not like I stay up to play the game. I have a job where I work really early in the morning but stay up to make sure my children get to bed so I only get a few hours of sleep a night.
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    A little birdie told me a lot of players were made aware of the ally points being used for something like this long before an official announcement.

Well thanks for pissin in my Cheerios. So not only did they go back on their word, but they gave some folks a heads up....

EDIT: ...And I can't believe that "pissin" isn't blocked by the filter....
  • Options
    Asic wrote: »
    I won't be sad. That means there will be a new toon in GW and you earn 1200 a day.

^^This
  • SPAstef
    52 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I suppοse that happened with EP and Yoda too... Some people mysteriously started farming tons of rebels shards a lot of time before the EP event was announced...
    May the Force be with you, always.
  • Aniema
    602 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Toons aren't balanced enough.

Example. Take Dooku for instance. Use him as leader, add whoever you want to that team. Rey, Palpatene, Qgj, Vader etc etc.

Now does anyone here think that team has a chance at beating anyone in the top 100 rank of the tournament? Answer is no.

Most teams are using Lando(L), STh and Wiggs. Teams like this utterly distroy teams and without the proper speed mods and/or better toons.

What myself and many other people are left with is using our same strongest 5 toons over and over costing a whopping 5k a fight in ally coins each time.

EA/CG as much as you are trying to push out new content..it maybe better for us players to have more balanced toons first. This is what you guys should be directing your development attention on.

This is 100% truth, anyone disagreeing with this is just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing.

Make toons better first, then give us content!
    Post edited by ShaolinPunk on
  • Options
    I am quite enjoying this tournament, but agree you do end up seeing the same teams at the top of the table.... only change I would make is asking us to pick three defensive teams, which are still locked down and unchangeable. Team one is your defensive team for the first 24hrs, team 2 is for the second 24 hours and team 3 for the remainder of the event.

You then allow a maximum of one defenders to be carried forward in to the next defensive team which should see a really different mix as you progress through the tournament.

I realise not everyone has large squads so perhaps this could be limited to those ranked 70 and above?
  • Options
    They put me in a tournament wit 10k to 15k more power then my highest toons. Im in there with November and December players. Probably some of the top in the game. How the hell did i end up being in this group. My top toon squad is only about 36k. I lost this tournament before i even began. I could spend every ally point i have and still want break the top 300 and I've worked really hard at this **** game to be screwed over like this. @EA_Jesse
  • Options
    There will always be balanced, under-powered and over-powered characters in all games. Balance is the hardest thing to do in games.

Find what works best and obtain/gear those. METAs come and go. You have to keep up with them to be competitive or risk falling behind.

It's not a tournament issue at all. It's extremely normal.
  • Options
    was that not because rebels are amazing !
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Its not that these characters themselves are so unbalanced it's that they actually have good synergy unless almost every other faction and most importantly: Good Speed. Rebel synergy relies on speed and crits which is basically what you need to kill people. Kill them before they move. Other teams don't have that same kinda of synergy (Except droids with JE) so thats all you'll see. If tankier characters were more viable and defensive synergies were useful it'd make it a whole new story. But as of right the synergy that lets you get more speed and crits will always be the one that wins. If defensive synergies were buffed to be on par we could use a lot more characters in these kinds of things, but damage is just so much easier to buff than mitigate in this game.
  • Options
    I don't understand why the power difference between the teams is not a proxy for your score. It would feel fairer.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options
    OP post would be more accurate of what the overal game flaw is. Not the tournament. Current "meta" (I hate that word) is wiggs or Rex lead.