• Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options
    Lio wrote: »
    BeralCator wrote: »
    I think a lot of the frustration is with the arbitrariness of the compensation plan.

If my bank makes an error that affects 1000 customers, they don't give $2 to every single bank customer as compensation; they work with each affected customer to make things right on a case-by-case basis.

Why is someone who can't even access the Malak event getting the same compensation as someone who re-modded their roster and spend hours replaying the event over and over only to see it vanish before finishing it?

It's a lazy plan to fix a problem caused by lazy programming. I think it's perfectly reasonable as a customer to be dissatisfied with lazy service.

Um...have you read about the Experian Data Breach?

Companies do what's most economical under the law. Expecting EA to address potentially hundreds of thousands of individual cases and give them personalized attention is ludicrous.

I don't remember customers being very satisfied with the resolutions from various data breaches either.

Just because a company does the absolute bare minimum as required by law doesn't make it a good or satisfying solution. It also doesn't invalidate the feelings of the user base and it doesn't make the solution any less lazy or arbitrary. It just means I (maybe) can't litigate and will have to express my displeasure by leaving poor reviews or ceasing to be a customer.

It's pretty clear CG has a competence problem (as evidenced by monthly show-stopping bugs) and a customer service problem (constant dumpster fires on this forum and Reddit, as well as Kafka-esque tech support). I sometimes wonder if SWGoH is actually the Stanford Prison Experiment of mobile gaming, and if someone is gathering data on precisely how abusive and unresponsive a company can be before people quit en masse.

"Hmm.. I have a bad take to share. But how can I make it sound smart? Maybe I'll work in Kafka and Stanford Prison Experiment. That should do the trick"

I spent 7 years getting a PhD. I'll wave it around as I please. :wink:

Are you going to make a counter-argument that CG has great customer service and a bug-free product? Or that the reconciliation plan is an earnest effort to connect with the customer base and address their concerns?

There's a ton of hyperbole in this thread and hand-wringing over nonsense, but most of the ire and ill will has been honestly earned.

Wave away, friend.

I don't agree that "most of the ire and ill will has been honestly earned". I don't believe they have a bug-free product, but who does? My issue is with you calling them incompetent (which I think is worse than calling them certain swear words). I work for a very large software company. We have incredible products and great engineers/tech-ops. Whenever bugs happen, we get a ton of customers asking for compensations. Many of those didn't even experience the bug but read about it somewhere. Customers in any industry are often unreasonable. I feel we, collectively, are very commonly the same. SWGOH is a great product. If it wasn't you wouldn't be playing it, much less on the official forum waving your PhD around. A product doesn't have to be 100% bug-free to be great.

Bugs sneak can sneak in undetected. It doesn't mean the team is incompetent. In this case, they cancelled the event to work on the bug.

I work as a CIO for a global retail company, running their software development initiatives.

The malak event has returned multiple times, with each time not rewarding shards for repeat players who unlocked him. In order for it to suddenly start giving shards, someone made a code change. Whether that is simply a database flag, or actual code, I don’t know since I don’t know how the backend of the game is. Someone had to physically make the change however, and that’s a big deal.

Regardless, changes to production were made without QA.

This isn’t the first time something like this has happened. CG either doesn’t quality test, or has garbage test cases.

It isn't certain that somebody HAD to make the change to the backend. It could be that a certain piece of code that was rolled out in a hotfix or some other update had a cascading effect on the Malak event. Code is finicky. If you ask the CTO of your company, they might agree with me.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the frustration is with the arbitrariness of the compensation plan.

If my bank makes an error that affects 1000 customers, they don't give $2 to every single bank customer as compensation; they work with each affected customer to make things right on a case-by-case basis.

Why is someone who can't even access the Malak event getting the same compensation as someone who re-modded their roster and spend hours replaying the event over and over only to see it vanish before finishing it?

It's a lazy plan to fix a problem caused by lazy programming. I think it's perfectly reasonable as a customer to be dissatisfied with lazy service.

Companies do what's most economical under the law. Expecting EA to address potentially hundreds of thousands of individual cases and give them personalized attention is ludicrous.

I don't remember customers being very satisfied with the resolutions from various data breaches either.

Just because a company does the absolute bare minimum as required by law doesn't make it a good or satisfying solution. It also doesn't invalidate the feelings of the user base and it doesn't make the solution any less lazy or arbitrary. It just means I (maybe) can't litigate and will have to express my displeasure by leaving poor reviews or ceasing to be a customer.

It's pretty clear CG has a competence problem (as evidenced by monthly show-stopping bugs) and a customer service problem (constant dumpster fires on this forum and Reddit, as well as Kafka-esque tech support). I sometimes wonder if SWGoH is actually the Stanford Prison Experiment of mobile gaming, and if someone is gathering data on precisely how abusive and unresponsive a company can be before people quit en masse.

"Hmm.. I have a bad take to share. But how can I make it sound smart? Maybe I'll work in Kafka and Stanford Prison Experiment. That should do the trick"

Are you going to make a counter-argument that CG has great customer service and a bug-free product? Or that the reconciliation plan is an earnest effort to connect with the customer base and address their concerns?

There's a ton of hyperbole in this thread and hand-wringing over nonsense, but most of the ire and ill will has been honestly earned.

Wave away, friend.

I don't agree that "most of the ire and ill will has been honestly earned". I don't believe they have a bug-free product, but who does? My issue is with you calling them incompetent (which I think is worse than calling them certain swear words). I work for a very large software company. We have incredible products and great engineers/tech-ops. Whenever bugs happen, we get a ton of customers asking for compensations. Many of those didn't even experience the bug but read about it somewhere. Customers in any industry are often unreasonable. I feel we, collectively, are very commonly the same. SWGOH is a great product. If it wasn't you wouldn't be playing it, much less on the official forum waving your PhD around. A product doesn't have to be 100% bug-free to be great.

Bugs sneak can sneak in undetected. It doesn't mean the team is incompetent. In this case, they cancelled the event to work on the bug.

I work as a CIO for a global retail company, running their software development initiatives.

The malak event has returned multiple times, with each time not rewarding shards for repeat players who unlocked him. In order for it to suddenly start giving shards, someone made a code change. Whether that is simply a database flag, or actual code, I don’t know since I don’t know how the backend of the game is. Someone had to physically make the change however, and that’s a big deal.

This isn’t the first time something like this has happened. CG either doesn’t quality test, or has garbage test cases.

It isn't certain that somebody HAD to make the change to the backend. It could be that a certain piece of code that was rolled out in a hotfix or some other update had a cascading effect on the Malak event. Code is finicky. If you ask the CTO of your company, they might agree with me.

No.

The malak event wasn’t new. The code for it wouldn’t need to be changed.

And if any other change would have an effect on any other event, test cases should have been made and QA should
    Have tested it.

Are you saying making changes to production without knowing the effects is standard operating procedure?

Someone either made a direct change to all shards, or someone didn’t test another change that modified the Malak code.

I disbelieve you
  • Ultra
    11538 posts Moderator
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wave away, friend.

No.

And if any other change would have an effect on any other event, test cases should have been made and QA should
    Have tested it.

Are you saying making changes to production without knowing the effects is standard operating procedure?

Someone either made a direct change to all shards, or someone didn’t test another change that modified the Malak code.
    They said that the GAS event caused this bug

Should they cancel all events for a week or until they can complete testing and reallocate testers from other tests to test every single existing event in the game after every new event is created?

If something worked fine and you haven’t changed it, no need to retest it

Mistakes happen
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »

Wave away, friend.

No.

Have tested it.

Should they cancel all events for a week or until they can complete testing and reallocate testers from other tests to test every single existing event in the game after every new event is created?

Mistakes happen

At least admit you have zero idea about this subject before you appeal to authority over it.

They said GaS caused it AFTER they made their decision to pull the malak event and roll back.

It’s like you completely ignored what I said and decided to cry.

A day went by, and the only communication Cg made was here on this forum. That’s it. Nothing in game. It wasn’t until they decided to pull the event and said they would roll back did a message go out in game saying it would be canceled.

Had a message gone out in game sooner, far less people would have continued to play the event, that are being effected now.

Not everyone is on this forum, nor should it be the primary source of communication when you have an in game messaging system.

And yes, every time IT groups make production code changes there are test cases and peer review to prevent just this very thing. An event that’s ran successfully and correctly multiple times suddenly changed lol. That’s something that should have been caught.

Yeah, @Ultra - you can't come in here with your concrete arguments supported by what the devs have said. You can only participate if you lie about being CIO or something similar.
  • Ultra
    11538 posts Moderator
    Options

Wave away, friend.

No.

Have tested it.

Mistakes happen

At least admit you have zero idea about this subject before you appeal to authority over it.

They said GaS caused it AFTER they made their decision to pull the malak event and roll back.

A day went by, and the only communication Cg made was here on this forum. That’s it. Nothing in game. It wasn’t until they decided to pull the event and said they would roll back did a message go out in game saying it would be canceled.

Had a message gone out in game sooner, far less people would have continued to play the event, that are being effected now.

Not everyone is on this forum, nor should it be the primary source of communication when you have an in game messaging system.

And yes, every time IT groups make production code changes there are test cases and peer review to prevent just this very thing. An event that’s ran successfully and correctly multiple times suddenly changed lol. That’s something that should have been caught.

Yeah, @Ultra - you can't come in here with your concrete arguments supported by what the devs have said. You can only participate if you lie about being CIO or something similar.
    I bet he never released a product with a single bug in it!

He’s that good
  • Options
    It's dissapointing they missed the issue, but I get it. Based on everything I've seen (without truly knowing the backend) - they changed the event type of malak for their new branding of epic confrontations. They probably have a large string in our save files that say what events you've completed, tagged by event type. So people who completed it first or second go around gave a record of completing a 'mythic' star forge showdown. The 3rd run looked to see if we completed an epic confrontation star forge showdown, didn't find it and gave us 1st time completion rewards. Big oops.
  • Options

Wave away, friend.

My guess is CG changed the GET store to make Malak/GAS shards visible to anyone, even those who have not unlocked these 2 characters. The change resulted in the bug
  • Options
    Voted with my wallet. Just got off the phone with Apple Pay customer support; I'll be getting a refund for the money I spent associated with this event.

Obnoxious that I had to take time out of my day to deal with this, since I can't trust the company in question to make good without my active involvement to automatically issue refunds to customers who were harmed by their error.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Anyone who has a 7* before this event will end up at the same place, with 2250 shard shop currency and 250 crystals.

Shouldn't it be:

Anyone who has a 7* before this event, who didn't do the event this time, will end up at the same place, with 2250 shard shop currency and 250 crystals.

Anyone who has a 7* before this event, who did the event this time, will end up at the same place, with 250 crystals.

7* people who did the event and got 150 shards, would have already converted them and got 2250 currency. Why are they being given extra currency again?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Anyone who has a 7* before this event will end up at the same place, with 2250 shard shop currency and 250 crystals.

Shouldn't it be:

Anyone who has a 7* before this event, who didn't do the event this time, will end up at the same place, with 2250 shard shop currency and 250 crystals.

Anyone who has a 7* before this event, who did the event this time, will end up at the same place, with 250 crystals.

7* people who did the event and got 150 shards, would have already converted them and got 2250 currency. Why are they being given extra currency again?

They aren’t, the dev post is clear on that. Kyno said they will end up with it, which they will, since they already got it.
  • TVF
    36643 posts Member
    Options

Shouldn't it be:

They aren't.
    Some players received extra shards that already owned Darth Malak at 7*. To reconcile this difference, we will be granting all players that owned Darth Malak at 7* on 10/18/2019 12:01 AM PDT, some Shard Shop Currency. Players that did not receive additional shards will receive 2250 Shard Shop Currency. Players that received only one tier of additional shards will receive 1125. Players that received two tiers of additional shards will not receive any additional currency.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    skypse wrote: »

Did you just decide to paraphrase what I wrote about the ToS and the legal coverage they have and use it as an argument against me? Get out of the cave man... What they do is unethical because they refuse to take responsibility of their actions and they burden the players instead. I never said the decision about malak was illegal.

Yes, I did, because you don't have a leg to stand on, either way. You have a warped concept of "ethics and responsibility." You're essentially saying "finders keepers" and claiming that your right to what you've received from the event is justified because someone made a mistake and you were able to leverage it for gain. Then, when the mistake is discovered, an apology is made, and a plan for rolling back unintended changes *while also allowing for compensation* is communicated, you claim that the party that made the mistake is unethical and irresponsible.

That's the moral reasoning of a *child.*

I'm not whining or claiming a finder's keepers logic. It's like you haven't even read what I wrote initially. I'm saying that a full roll back is a much better solution than simply revoking malak and leaving everyone with unusable relics, gear and mods. Yes, I may be able to put the stun guns to someone else in case they refund the gear (which they haven't said they would do anyway), but except from the fact that this gear would not have been farmed if not for malak, the mods that were upgraded while being his, are now useless for him. Meaning that my arena team is also "punished" by this.

The fallout of a roll back is that we lose 1 tw and 1 gac, nothing that hasn't happened before and I don't remember the forums being flooded with threads about it and people quitting the game because they lost their 3 zetas for the lost tw.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

Shouldn't it be:

They aren’t, the dev post is clear on that. Kyno said they will end up with it, which they will, since they already got it.

This.

I said end up at the same place, meaning that no matter how they get to the total sum of stuff may be different but the ending will be the same.
  • DJT1
    70 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

Shouldn't it be:

This.

I said end up at the same place, meaning that no matter how they get to the total sum of stuff may be different but the ending will be the same.

Hey @kyno

Have they rethought the shards and decided to give them to everyone not just 7 star players?

Cheers
  • Options

Wave away, friend.

No.

Have tested it.

Mistakes happen

He’s that good

Cg ONLY releases products with bugs in it they are that bad.
  • Ultra
    11538 posts Moderator
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Wave away, friend.

No.

Have tested it.

Mistakes happen

He’s that good

Are you 12? Serious question.
    Yes, Ultra is 12...and been posting coherent, well thought out posts since 2016...age 9. Your definition of "serious question" is certainly unique.

Are you saying 9 year olds don’t talk on the internet in 2019?

No desire to discuss the topic at hand then?

It might help if you stopped insulting people in every post, then people might have an easier time responding to the topic at hand.
    This is why I have a hard time believing he is a CIO because he is quick to belittle others
  • DJT1
    70 posts Member
    Options

Wave away, friend.

No.

Have tested it.

Mistakes happen

He’s that good

Yes, Ultra is 12...and been posting coherent, well thought out posts since 2016...age 9. Your definition of "serious question" is certainly unique.

It might help if you stopped insulting people in every post, then people might have an easier time responding to the topic at hand.
    This is why I have a hard time believing he is a CIO because he is quick to belittle others

Sorry to interrupt...are the shards currency going to everyone or just the 7 star owners @ultra ?
  • Ultra
    11538 posts Moderator
    Options
    DJT1 wrote: »

Wave away, friend.

No.

Have tested it.

Mistakes happen

He’s that good

Sorry to interrupt...are the shards currency going to everyone or just the 7 star owners @ultra ?

Players who had 7 star Malak before Friday are the only ones getting shard shop currency
  • DJT1
    70 posts Member
    Options

Wave away, friend.

No.

Have tested it.

Mistakes happen

He’s that good

Players who had 7 star Malak before Friday are the only ones getting shard shop currency

Thanks for responding @Ultra
    Do you think it is fair to have an issue in game, roll it back, but leave the rewards associated with the issue for a portion of the player base and not the rest?
  • Options
    Of course she does, she’s a cg employee
  • Ultra
    11538 posts Moderator
    Options

Wave away, friend.

No.

Have tested it.

Mistakes happen

He’s that good

Do you think it is fair to have an issue in game, roll it back, but leave the rewards associated with the issue for a portion of the player base and not the rest?
    Depends on the issue.

For this Malak situation, I think it’s fair if everyone received 2250 shard shop currency. Funny enough, I’ve seen everyone with a 7* Malak say the same. So if CG was trying to appease to the top players, it hilariously backfired

• Ultra
    11538 posts Moderator
    Options
    Of course she does, she’s a cg employee
    Please. I'm a dev mom not a dev employee
  • Options
    Honestly, Kyno is correct and the devs have actually gotten this part right (mostly).
    If you had a 7* Malak, you will get the same **** currency. Whether you played it or not, you would get the exact same amout.
    If you didn't have a 7* Malak, you may get more or less depending on if you played, how much, and how close to 7* you started with.
    As far as the crystals, that's where they are being cheap. 250 is not that much, considering people missed out on having their Malak for GAC. I don't see why they couldn't give 500 or even more, but everything else was spot on.
  • Options

Wave away, friend.

No.

Have tested it.

Mistakes happen

He’s that good

Depends on the issue.

For this Malak situation, I think it’s fair if everyone received 2250 shard shop currency. Funny enough, I’ve seen everyone with a 7* Malak say the same. So if CG was trying to appease to the top players, it hilariously backfired

As TVF would say, “Everyone with 7* Malak says that?! I find that hard to blah blah blarppp.”
  • Linkinxr
    35 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Crickets on a Monday Morning. CG still in Hiding. I’d say hearing from CG is about the same as hearing from a terrorist. Only speak when something bad happens and are usually behind the bad!
  • Options
    An in game pop-up just said there’s an update rolling out. Clearly it’s the Malak removal tool. But yeah, no actual communication. Cowardly.