The Pit Challenge Tier & Relic 8 [MEGA]

Replies

• TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    One “left” my guild, but only after it transpired he didn’t fancy the coordinated damage holding approach and started posting scores indiscriminately.

For me, this raid is a lot like the old 80s classic computer game Elite, on which I wasted an astonishing amount of my life in my early teens.

Without doubt, the thing I found hardest to do in Elite was to dock in a space station. You had to get the alignment right, the speed right and also get the rotation right. Get any one of those 3 things wrong and you were dead. Game over. (For anyone under the age of 40, imagine the docking scene from Interstellar but with a Kempston joystick, more polygons and less Anne Hathaway)

The first time I successfully docked, I was euphoric. I launched, hyperspaced to a new system and BOOM, I failed to dock and died. Jaded, deflated, I reluctantly tried again from the previous (saved) launch and this time I pulled it off.

Of course, as soon as I docked that second time, I bought the docking computer and never had to worry about docking ever again.

That’s like this raid for me. And the swgoh equivalent of the docking computer is the r8 SLKRs that arrive after the second completion, alongside the development of people’s roster, mod loadout fine tuning and improvements to strategy. After our second completion, each running of the raid has been easier than the last, and we will likely be imposing quotas moving forward to stop people dominating the podium.

And that’s what still worries me the most about the devs taking a long time to analyse and decide what to do. The longer they wait, the less the in game data will suggest that there’s a problem. The longer it goes on, the fewer complaints they’ll see on here, the more likely it is (in my opinion) that nothing will happen.

I truly enjoyed reading about your experience with Elite. Good use of levity and comparisons as well. So, thank you for sharing!
    The devs look at more than just completion data. I've relayed sentiment (and they know) that the level of coordination and the whole "airplane mode and wait to post" is not...uh...ideal.

Perhaps they should’ve tested it ;).

All in favor of putting Doja and his parrot in charge of things from now on?

I'll second this. I do appreciate Doja responding to people on the forums, either in a nonsense thread thats fun, or in a thread like this, that has a more serious tone. I want to see much much more of this along with the jumping into Discord and spreading some love around (2+14=24?). Doja, I appreciate you, I can imagine how hard it must be to know things but not have the approval to share them. CG, give this man more authority to speak for you.

Right? This is honestly the most engagement we’ve gotten with any dev since Kozispoon and EA_Jesse

Hahaha

Carrie engaged way more than Kozi, the difference is that people didn't like what Carrie had to say (and misrepresented it) while everyone likes memes no matter how little they actually communicate to the players.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    My guilds has had 0, even after we failed 2 times.

Yeah none from my guild left even though we have been clearing it since day 1

Obviously we both moved on to a better alliance.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    One “left” my guild, but only after it transpired he didn’t fancy the coordinated damage holding approach and started posting scores indiscriminately.

For me, this raid is a lot like the old 80s classic computer game Elite, on which I wasted an astonishing amount of my life in my early teens.

Without doubt, the thing I found hardest to do in Elite was to dock in a space station. You had to get the alignment right, the speed right and also get the rotation right. Get any one of those 3 things wrong and you were dead. Game over. (For anyone under the age of 40, imagine the docking scene from Interstellar but with a Kempston joystick, more polygons and less Anne Hathaway)

The first time I successfully docked, I was euphoric. I launched, hyperspaced to a new system and BOOM, I failed to dock and died. Jaded, deflated, I reluctantly tried again from the previous (saved) launch and this time I pulled it off.

Of course, as soon as I docked that second time, I bought the docking computer and never had to worry about docking ever again.

That’s like this raid for me. And the swgoh equivalent of the docking computer is the r8 SLKRs that arrive after the second completion, alongside the development of people’s roster, mod loadout fine tuning and improvements to strategy. After our second completion, each running of the raid has been easier than the last, and we will likely be imposing quotas moving forward to stop people dominating the podium.

And that’s what still worries me the most about the devs taking a long time to analyse and decide what to do. The longer they wait, the less the in game data will suggest that there’s a problem. The longer it goes on, the fewer complaints they’ll see on here, the more likely it is (in my opinion) that nothing will happen.

I truly enjoyed reading about your experience with Elite. Good use of levity and comparisons as well. So, thank you for sharing!
    The devs look at more than just completion data. I've relayed sentiment (and they know) that the level of coordination and the whole "airplane mode and wait to post" is not...uh...ideal.

I'll second this. I do appreciate Doja responding to people on the forums, either in a nonsense thread thats fun, or in a thread like this, that has a more serious tone. I want to see much much more of this along with the jumping into Discord and spreading some love around (2+14=24?). Doja, I appreciate you, I can imagine how hard it must be to know things but not have the approval to share them. CG, give this man more authority to speak for you.

Right? This is honestly the most engagement we’ve gotten with any dev since Kozispoon and EA_Jesse

Hahaha

Carrie engaged way more than Kozi, the difference is that people didn't like what Carrie had to say (and misrepresented it) while everyone likes memes no matter how little they actually communicate to the players.

Well Carrie was a given. Jesse and Kozi were the ones we got before they left and Carrie took over communicating more. Hell, even crumb started off great then fell off a cliff.
  • Options

Hahaha

Well Carrie was a given. Jesse and Kozi were the ones we got before they left and Carrie took over communicating more. Hell, even crumb started off great then fell off a cliff.

Shhhhhh! Crumb is always watching...
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    Firefox54 wrote: »
    0dysseusK wrote: »
    2. limiting each guild member to only one team per phase (with retreat)

This makes good sense, except they'd also have to make it so the Rancor can't immediately devour in p2. Giving each player 5 battles for the whole raid, like we used to get per day in lower-tier raids, could work well.

If it were one battle per phase, they could also keep the ramping damage mechanic if it were calculated per player and if a player couldn't use the same squad across multiple phases.

If this is something they want to keep in this mode, it will likely be done in a less direct/permanent way. Even the ramping we see right now, in theory can be developed past. So they would likely keep it in a way that has an eventual "out" vs a hard limit.

Kyno ... is there an update on the raid, or a place where updates can be found easily (I don't have the time to go through 88 pages of forum posts)? Are they planning a change to the raid?

No, there is no update. We have no idea if they are planning on making a change, since they refuse to say anything about it.

Just speaking hypothetically, but...

Examining a raid, deciding whether to make changes, then actually redesigning, testing, doing quality passes and making sure those changes are able to be implemented without breaking the game and still hitting an intended target (and going a step further to make sure that the changes would be final in order to prevent having to come back and reexamine/make changes again) probably takes a bit of time.

CG isn't refusing to say anything. The issue hasn't been ignored. I've provided updates when possible. Just bc they're not the updates you want (which I also understand is frustrating, but I'm not going to make promises prematurely) doesn't mean the studio is refusing to comment on the raid. If/when there is something definitively determined, I will make an announcement stating "there will be no changes at this time" or "changes are being made and here they are".

Again, I understand this is taking longer than any of us would like and the raid has frustrated many people. You're totally entitled to your feels in that regard. But, saying the studio refuses to say anything is simply not true.

Dude you seem like a nice fella. This raid is ridiculous. Bouncing back and forth between discord and the game and flight mode is crazy. I make a mistake and people get bent out of shape cus I leaked a bit of damage. Honestly how did the developers not see this coming??? And then throw kids and family into the mix. It's actually kinda rude the lack of consideration placed into these mechanics they developed.
    Bad idea man!
  • Options
    Even with all of the effort thrown at this raid, the rewards absolutely suck. Like probably the worst rewards I’ve seen for a difficult challenge. The r8 mats are great but for the effort involved, why not award some useful gear 🤦‍♂️
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    Even with all of the effort thrown at this raid, the rewards absolutely suck. Like probably the worst rewards I’ve seen for a difficult challenge. The r8 mats are great but for the effort involved, why not award some useful gear 🤦‍♂️

Like kyro?
  • Options

Good thing the rewards are flatter...🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options

Like kyro?

More yes. I know you defend everything in this game but come on. You know the rewards are awful.
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options

Like kyro?

More yes. I know you defend everything in this game but come on. You know the rewards are awful.

Well I'm not an officer but it takes me very little effort for my R8 mats and a selection of rewards that are a mix of good or bad like every other raid.
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options

Like kyro?

More yes. I know you defend everything in this game

Also, this is completely false. I have never once defended the damage threshold mechanic of the raid.
  • Options

Like kyro?

Also, this is completely false. I have never once defended the damage threshold mechanic of the raid.

Nobody does 😂
  • Options

Like kyro?

Nobody does 😂

CG has entered the chat...
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    bisto_760 wrote: »

This makes good sense, except they'd also have to make it so the Rancor can't immediately devour in p2. Giving each player 5 battles for the whole raid, like we used to get per day in lower-tier raids, could work well.

If it were one battle per phase, they could also keep the ramping damage mechanic if it were calculated per player and if a player couldn't use the same squad across multiple phases.

If this is something they want to keep in this mode, it will likely be done in a less direct/permanent way. Even the ramping we see right now, in theory can be developed past. So they would likely keep it in a way that has an eventual "out" vs a hard limit.

Kyno ... is there an update on the raid, or a place where updates can be found easily (I don't have the time to go through 88 pages of forum posts)? Are they planning a change to the raid?

No, there is no update. We have no idea if they are planning on making a change, since they refuse to say anything about it.

Examining a raid, deciding whether to make changes, then actually redesigning, testing, doing quality passes and making sure those changes are able to be implemented without breaking the game and still hitting an intended target (and going a step further to make sure that the changes would be final in order to prevent having to come back and reexamine/make changes again) probably takes a bit of time.

CG isn't refusing to say anything. The issue hasn't been ignored. I've provided updates when possible. Just bc they're not the updates you want (which I also understand is frustrating, but I'm not going to make promises prematurely) doesn't mean the studio is refusing to comment on the raid. If/when there is something definitively determined, I will make an announcement stating "there will be no changes at this time" or "changes are being made and here they are".

Again, I understand this is taking longer than any of us would like and the raid has frustrated many people. You're totally entitled to your feels in that regard. But, saying the studio refuses to say anything is simply not true.

Dude you seem like a nice fella. This raid is ridiculous. Bouncing back and forth between discord and the game and flight mode is crazy. I make a mistake and people get bent out of shape cus I leaked a bit of damage. Honestly how did the developers not see this coming??? And then throw kids and family into the mix. It's actually kinda rude the lack of consideration placed into these mechanics they developed.
    Bad idea man!

I get where you're coming from. The Raid wasn't designed to be completed in airplane mode. That work-around quickly became the popular solve once released to players. I mention that to illustrate the point that there was no "rude" intention to the design of the raid, but I also understand the player sentiment surrounding the raid and their reasons for feeling the way they do. The response and sentiment has been heard and hopefully I'll have a more substantial update one way or another soon.

• commander_paw_212
    315 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Bad idea man!

I get where you're coming from. The Raid wasn't designed to be completed in airplane mode. That work-around quickly became the popular solve once released to players. I mention that to illustrate the point that there was no "rude" intention to the design of the raid, but I also understand the player sentiment surrounding the raid and their reasons for feeling the way they do. The response and sentiment has been heard and hopefully I'll have a more substantial update one way or another soon.

Well said! Thanks Doja, if you get a chance I left some communication ideas in the Discord thread I thought would be cool. Thanks for the communication regarding this raid
  • Options
    @CG_Doja_Fett i for one appreciate the responses from you. I know these things take time and sometimes lots of time and I believe you when you say that you will let us know as soon as you know something as you have proven that already from previous issues and post. I know your job is not easy dealing with us lol so again thank you for great communication. For four years we lacked that here so its nice to finally have someone that does keep us in the loop even when theres nothing to report.
  • Options

Bad idea man!

I'm not following. Sorry. So the raid was not intended to be completed by maximizing and coordinating the release of damage? Perheps you could shed some light on how this raid was intended to be completed then? Or how this didn't come up as a solution in testing? Especially since it's a fairly obvious solution.

Honestly, I'm not sure if this "Oh... Okay... wow....we didn't see THAT coming...sheesh." from CG makes me feel better or worse.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Cstone812
    266 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Thanks for responding on here I appreciate the communication. However that just seems absolutely ridiculous that you say it wasn’t designed to be completed that way. It sounds like the developers just created these mechanics so slkr couldn’t solo it (to their knowledge) released it with no testing and put out r8 packs to call it a day.
  • Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Bad idea man!

I'm not following. Sorry. So the raid was not intended to be completed by maximizing and coordinating the release of damage? Perheps you could shed some light on how this raid was intended to be completed then? Or how this didn't come up as a solution in testing? Especially since it's a fairly obvious solution.

Honestly, I'm not sure if this "Oh... Okay... wow....we didn't see THAT coming...sheesh." from CG makes me feel better or worse.

I think the implication is that the developers wanted us to go in and hit the raid at each of the thresholds, rather than co-coordinating and bypassing all the thresholds
  • Options

Bad idea man!

I think the implication is that the developers wanted us to go in and hit the raid at each of the thresholds, rather than co-coordinating and bypassing all the thresholds

You can barely do 1% at certain thresholds lol.
  • Options

Bad idea man!

Even if we had 10 people doing nothing other than balance testing the raid at 40 hrs per week for two weeks, that's a drop in the bucket compared to it going public and having all the players' time and strategies working to defeat it as quickly and easily as possible.

I'm speaking hypothetically here, as I was not part of the design/QA process for this raid. But, players will always figure out how to do things in game that are more effective than designers anticipate. I get the airplane mode/mass attack method seems obvious, especially now. But maybe it wasn't anticipated at the time of design and testing.

Of course, it's easy to attack this position and say something like, "if they didn't 4see this then they're not gud at their jerbz!" But really I'm speaking in broad terms here, not specifically to this instance. I'm just offering insight to the process and giving examples of things that CAN happen. Not saying it happened in regards to the CT Rancor. I'm more trying to point out that players will almost always be better at figuring out "solutions" for game modes than any QA/testing team. Our designers work diligently and they're a talented bunch. But, nobody bats a thousand against the players.
  • Options
    My issue with your claim that coordinated damage wasn't the intended solution is that it is functionally impossible to clear the raid if you hit it 2% at a time. When it is down below 20% on p1-p3, I have trouble believing that 50 full dev accounts with maxed out characters would be able to beat it.
  • Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    Options
    Of course, it's easy to attack this position and say something like, "if they didn't 4see this then they're not gud at their jerbz!" But really I'm speaking in broad terms here, not specifically to this instance.

Yeah, fore sure

The issue with QA is that we players don't see it

Character kits these days are super complicated with little to no bugs, and the bugs are very minor which is impressive given the complexity, and then we have entire game modes being released with little to no bugs

I don't think its possible to release large chunks of content without a bug or two here and there, but the game does a good job of making sure those bugs are minor and not game breaking (GAC, Raid, GC etc) and it quickly patches them up
  • Options
    two_step wrote: »
    My issue with your claim that coordinated damage wasn't the intended solution is that it is functionally impossible to clear the raid if you hit it 2% at a time. When it is down below 20% on p1-p3, I have trouble believing that 50 full dev accounts with maxed out characters would be able to beat it.

I'm not here to say anybody is wrong or change your mind. But, I'd have WAAAAY more trouble believing testers couldn't clear the raid and it got released knowing it couldn't be cleared.
  • Options
    I'm not here to say anybody is wrong or change your mind. But, I'd have WAAAAY more trouble believing testers couldn't clear the raid and it got released knowing it couldn't be cleared.

The thing is, when the raid was released, the thresholds were per player, not global (fixed in a patch). How sure are you that the testers were testing with the correctly functioning thresholds?
  • Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    Options

The thing is, when the raid was released, the thresholds were per player, not global (fixed in a patch). How sure are you that the testers were testing with the correctly functioning thresholds?

how do you know this?

They never confirmed if thresholds were per player or global and the game description doesn't say either

Current (global) mechanics are WAI but if they were per player, it would've been WAI too
  • Options

Bad idea man!

Even if we had 10 people doing nothing other than balance testing the raid at 40 hrs per week for two weeks, that's a drop in the bucket compared to it going public and having all the players' time and strategies working to defeat it as quickly and easily as possible.

I'm speaking hypothetically here, as I was not part of the design/QA process for this raid. But, players will always figure out how to do things in game that are more effective than designers anticipate. I get the airplane mode/mass attack method seems obvious, especially now. But maybe it wasn't anticipated at the time of design and testing.

Of course, it's easy to attack this position and say something like, "if they didn't 4see this then they're not gud at their jerbz!" But really I'm speaking in broad terms here, not specifically to this instance. I'm just offering insight to the process and giving examples of things that CAN happen. Not saying it happened in regards to the CT Rancor. I'm more trying to point out that players will almost always be better at figuring out "solutions" for game modes than any QA/testing team. Our designers work diligently and they're a talented bunch. But, nobody bats a thousand against the players.

Then wouldn’t it behoove CG to expand the beta tester program? Maybe revive the game changer program and get more input from some of the pro theory crafters in game to maybe perhaps get some better insight on this type of stuff?

But two step brought up a good point above me. There was a bug that ramped up the damage per run, not globally. Many want that as the solution. If it was a “bug” but possible to make as the norm, why not revert the “bug” and change that coding so the damage ramps per run which would still prevent overall solos as was the intention and also removes the insane coordination requirements....
  • Options

how do you know this?

They never confirmed if thresholds were per player or global and the game description doesn't say either

Current (global) mechanics are WAI but if they were per player, it would've been WAI too

OK, it wasn't per player, it was just one of the thresholds. See https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/239211/content-update-12-16-2020#latest
    EVENT - Fixed an issue in phases 2 and 4 all phases of The Pit (Challenge Tier) where the Rancor could start the encounter only registering one health threshold for scaling damage and speed instead of all missing thresholds.
  • Options

how do you know this?

OK, it wasn't per player, it was just one of the thresholds. See https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/239211/content-update-12-16-2020#latest
    EVENT - Fixed an issue in phases 2 and 4 all phases of The Pit (Challenge Tier) where the Rancor could start the encounter only registering one health threshold for scaling damage and speed instead of all missing thresholds.

Still, the coding to change things is in the game and is possible to adjust it accordingly
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

*cough* LS Geo TB *cough*