3/31 Update Comment and Discussion Megathread

Replies

• Options
    Such a MASSIVE disconnect between player and devs....making already extremely difficult to grind gear harder? What are they thinking?

They are thinking that they can slow down the need for updates and new content, if they can slow down the gear farming....
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    The only way this doesn't lead to people quitting in large numbers over the grinding of gear (that, with the new extortion system, will likely start taking several weeks per piece) is if the "surprise" is a gear shop, with trading some of the gear that some have 200-500 of from grinding the daily challenges for weeks with no incentive.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Doga
    808 posts Member
    Options
    SWGOH is broken and the new update is an attempt to fix it. The problem with the game is that once a player reaches the top 4 consistently at payout there is no need for that player to spend money on the game to maintain the position. The crystals earned are enough to farm all available gear slots for the players top toons, albeit slowly, as well as slowly work towards bringing up another toon to max level. No more money for the company that invested millions into such a terrific game. The solution is to give those top players a reason to depart with their money because as we all know spending it on random chromium pack chances it pointless unless you have mega bucks at your disposal which the majority of players do not.

Once people have invested real money into a game no matter how much it becomes much harder for them to walk away. So it's simple economics, if a player has to spend more money to maintain their status of what they find important, and if that player has already spend even a little bit of money, said player is likely to invest more money. Problem fixed. Will anyone really walk away, we all threaten it but in truth the players they loose will be offset by the money more people put into the game to maintain their progress.
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    Vader is character of the month at least!
  • Options
    Trufra86 wrote: »
    Calus_78 wrote: »
    But wait...... There is a surprise!

Maybe it's a new way to craft gear.... Lol jk it's a new chromium character.

The surprise is: You all got punked. No update. April Fool!

This, I bet it is ALL a joke.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Doga wrote: »
    SWGOH is broken and the new update is an attempt to fix it. The problem with the game is that once a player reaches the top 4 consistently at payout there is no need for that player to spend money on the game to maintain the position. The crystals earned are enough to farm all available gear slots for the players top toons, albeit slowly, as well as slowly work towards bringing up another toon to max level. No more money for the company that invested millions into such a terrific game. The solution is to give those top players a reason to depart with their money because as we all know spending it on random chromium pack chances it pointless unless you have mega bucks at your disposal which the majority of players do not.

Once people have invested real money into a game no matter how much it becomes much harder for them to walk away. So it's simple economics, if a player has to spend more money to maintain their status of what they find important, and if that player has already spend even a little bit of money, said player is likely to invest more money. Problem fixed. Will anyone really walk away, we all threaten it but in truth the players they loose will be offset by the money more people put into the game to maintain their progress.

How exactly would the new update do any of what you are suggesting?

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Baldo wrote: »
    Vader is character of the month at least!

Yea you got trolled! :smile:
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

How exactly would the new update do any of what you are suggesting?

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I was wondering the same @Nikoms565
  • Options
    I think it's fairly clear that one thing the player Base as a whole wants to see is more variety, that is the ability to use a wider variety of characters and combinations of characters.

Evert update seems to push us further and further away from that aim.

The time and cost of upgrading a character's level, star ratings, abilities and gear is now far too prohibitive to be able to effectively deploy a broad ranger of characters.

Even as someone who has sunk around $1,000 dollars into the game, I can't see how I will be able to sustain anything but a handful of characters. I already have a string of characters where I have the shards to get them up to 6 or 7 stars, but I can't do it because of the credit cost of starring them and training to level 70, before you even begin to address the issue of gearing them or the ludicrous scarcity of ability mats.

It will be bad enough getting existing geared and levelled level 70 characters to level 80, imagine the difficulty with a newly unlocked character?
  • Options
    JoJoMo_007 wrote: »
    Man I'm so happy I quit this game. Just reading the patch notes makes me smile. I can't imagine actually having to farm this crap anymore. Yay me this game sux and is a huge scam to take your money.

No one is forcing you to pay anything for this game. If you can't have fun for free, i feel bad for you.
  • Options
    still no news of when the update will arrive?

I mean come on. don't keep us in suspense.
  • Options
    So read the update notes and this post and decided to craft some mk5 arakyd droid callers. Checked I had the materials for 2. Crated 1 and then didn't have enough components to build another as my mk1 zaltins seem to have disappeared!!

This has happened before where random gear has disappeared on me but this seriously isn't funny!

So.... Before you craft any I'd suggest you take a Screenshot at least of the different component pages - something I wish I'd done before hand.
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    SpeedWeed wrote: »

They said about 4 or 5 times: Thursday between 1-6 PST. Not sure why you can't grasp this. There is a lot to be annoyed about with the update, but drop day/time has been fairly well communicated for at least the past 24 hours.

• Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    ... so, the "update" was to fix QGJ and GS ability level 8 and a slow down in general? Thats all? Oh, i forgot the surprise ... I bet, whatever it is, it is bugged!
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MackemSLAM That's exactly how 'metas' appear. There is no meta currently, no such thing as a speed meta. You can beat QGJ/GS/Yoda with an Ewok team, Clone team and probably many many other combinations. But are we allowed to farm for those chars?? No...because you have to farm for 1 mill+ pieces of gear. And so...everyone in the arena ends up with the same chars with some small degree of variety between them, not because they are OP, but because that's what is given to them and because that's what they hear from other people. And that is why 'nerf threads' appear. IF we were allowed to focus more on getting chars rather than gear, there would be no more meta. But we can't have that now can we! If this update goes through, not even low spenders/serious time investors will be able to get new chars. I mean...who the heck would even be interested in farming a guy like Plo Koon, (maybe he is good in certain team comps just maybe), when now you're gonna be busy till the next update with farming for gear for your existing toons?
  • Options

You on drugs? Or is this an elaborate troll post
  • Options

They said about 4 or 5 times: Thursday between 1-6 PST. Not sure why you can't grasp this. There is a lot to be annoyed about with the update, but drop day/time has been fairly well communicated for at least the past 24 hours.

@Nikoms565

So it's 1pm-6pm PST so it's tomorrow for me.

Just needed to confirm as I have XP banked.

I am terrible at the time zone conversions.
  • Martianski
    193 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    "The problem with the game is that once a player reaches the top 4 consistently at payout there is no need for that player to spend money on the game to maintain the position."
    So how many players are at top 5 on every server? I'd say 5... And you assume that the whole update is all about the money of these 5 ppl... Funny.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

@Nikoms565

So it's 1pm-6pm PST so it's tomorrow for me.

Just needed to confirm as I have XP banked.

I am terrible at the time zone conversions.

@SpeedWeed it's 8-13 hours from right now (whatever the time stamp is on THIS post). Plus about 7 minutes.

• Doga
    808 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    To all who don't understand my previous post, I am overly complicating the indication that the update is designed to part players with their money.

For example, I finish in 1st quit often. My reward is that I can do 2 Catina refreshes and 2 to 4 standard energy refreshes. A lot of that energy goes back into the toons I run in arena to fill all available slots and as of the patch notes, fill the ones which will be equip able after the level increase. Add 50 more purple to the gear that needs to be crafted after the update.

After level increase and others around me start showing up with level IX and X gear I'd also better be equipping that gear if I don't want to get pushed out of the top payouts. What's the best way to subatain farming the gear +50 added pieces after the update? Buy crystal packs in addition to what I make in game. So I either part with my money or fall out of top payout. I'm done parting with my money in this money grab of a game.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    But if everyone is slowed equally by the higher gear costs, no one gains on you, as progression is relative.

• CPMP
    974 posts Member
    Options
    EkEukLC.jpg
  • Options
    Patience You Must Have My Young Padawans.... Wait for a few hours . What r u 7 months Birth?!?! :D
  • Options
    Baldo wrote: »
    Alexone wrote: »
    I think this is an April's fool from the devs. Has to be. No way this is happening! Am i supposed to stay at the same gear viii or ix on all my attackers, while the p2p have gear x or xi on theirs until level 90?? Yea i don't believe this to be true.

HAHAHHAHA **** IF IT ACTUALLY IS!!!!!! :)@Alexone never Fing thought of that!

It won't be funny for those who have just spent their saved energies to get the required gears.

Yes it would
  • scuba
    14078 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    They are preparing for the next update when the cap goes to 90. Notice that the change to Jinn's leader ability was for something at level 82 also.
    Do any of the database sites let you check which characters use which gear items? I can find lists of gear by character but not character by gear.

@Qeltar someone might have shared but I ain't reading all the comments. This site shows all gear requirements.

http://www.star-wars-galaxy.com
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    @scuba - Thanks. I built all the items I could last night. It wasn't much, lol. :)
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    @EA_Jesse

So I'm a whale, I have spent around 2K € on this game since I started playing in early January.
    That's not a problem for me, I can afford it and I've been playing the game in ways I that made me enjoy it up to now. If I didn't enjoy it I obviously wouldn't pay or play.

I could afford to keep on buying crystals to continue starring up, leveling and gearing up my toons, money isn't an issue.

But... I won't.

Why? Because buying crystals just so I get to hit the sim button ad nauseam to gather hundreds of gear components that drop somewhere around 20% just isn't fun...

On top of that, if I understand correctly, under the 80 cap, some toons will be able to gear up while many won't.
    Since the new gear requirements will be so difficult to meet, you will be making it almost impossible for players to raise multiple toons/teams, you should at least make sure that those we have been farming and gearing up for months are not left behind because of such discrepancy between gear requirement and availability...

Games should be fun by definition, they should be entertaining, that's their entire purpose.
    They should also be challenging and rewarding.

Adding more gear grind to gear up will achieve the exact opposite, turning fun into frustration, entertainment into a pointless, redundant, boring chore which is neither challenging nor rewarding.
    Even someone like me who could refresh all day won't find anything fun, entertaining, challenging or rewarding at all in this tedious process...

It will be even worse for those who can't or won't pay to play, and I have nothing but respect for these guys who grind it out everyday strictly on free ressources at a snails pace that I would never find the patience for. Hats off to you guys for keeping it up.

The reaction is pretty unanimous about this upcoming gear update, I have read every single post in this thread, nobody, nobody is going " Yay, we get to grind out more gear components!" quite the opposite...

And about this;
    "Hey Everyone, While I can't share exact details yet, know that there will be more ways to acquire gear in the near future."

More ways to acquire gear... That's not what players/customers/investors/funders want.
    Acquiring gears is the least interesting aspect of the game, it's redundant, frustrating and boring.

I usually stay away from these type of threads, my thoughts are that a company like EA is professional and experimented enough to know how to develop its games but it's obvious to everybody that has posted here that this announced gear update is not the way to improve the game.

So if I and so many others took time to express their views on this it's because they care about a game they've invested time and money into.
    It's also a cry to the devs not to break the game they love, not to turn fun into frustration.

Remember that people posting in this forum are only the tip of the iceberg, for everybody posting here, there are thousands thinking the same but not expressing it.

Consider this a poll, where 99.99% of the surveyed players strongly dislike the upcoming gear update.

Math is very simple, if you keep ignoring you players/customers opinions, you will lose many of them.
    Some play for free, some pay to play but all play to have some fun.

Regards and may the Force be with you, you will need it!
  • Taramel
    601 posts Member
    Options
    Wait I'm confused a little.. Why is everyone so upset about the gear changes.... I am making the assumption that this also changes the stats of the gear. I am guessing this is the easiest way for EA to change a char stats to where they want them to be.... its what they did to IG-100 to give him more health, they do it by changing the gear on a char. I am a F2P but honestly the only thing really left to do or the "end game" content as of now is to grind gear.. without that we have nothing so I'm meh about it. Yes I am currently grinding the famus stun cuffs and its slow but if I didn't have that to do on a daily bases I would have nothing and would probably stop altogether.
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member
    Options
    @EA_Jesse

So I'm a whale, I have spent around 2K € on this game since I started playing in early January.
    That's not a problem for me, I can afford it and I've been playing the game in ways I that made me enjoy it up to now. If I didn't enjoy it I obviously wouldn't pay or play.

I could afford to keep on buying crystals to continue starring up, leveling and gearing up my toons, money isn't an issue.

But... I won't.

Why? Because buying crystals just so I get to hit the sim button ad nauseam to gather hundreds of gear components that drop somewhere around 20% just isn't fun...

On top of that, if I understand correctly, under the 80 cap, some toons will be able to gear up while many won't.
    Since the new gear requirements will be so difficult to meet, you will be making it almost impossible for players to raise multiple toons/teams, you should at least make sure that those we have been farming and gearing up for months are not left behind because of such discrepancy between gear requirement and availability...

Games should be fun by definition, they should be entertaining, that's their entire purpose.
    They should also be challenging and rewarding.

Adding more gear grind to gear up will achieve the exact opposite, turning fun into frustration, entertainment into a pointless, redundant, boring chore which is neither challenging nor rewarding.
    Even someone like me who could refresh all day won't find anything fun, entertaining, challenging or rewarding at all in this tedious process...

It will be even worse for those who can't or won't pay to play, and I have nothing but respect for these guys who grind it out everyday strictly on free ressources at a snails pace that I would never find the patience for. Hats off to you guys for keeping it up.

The reaction is pretty unanimous about this upcoming gear update, I have read every single post in this thread, nobody, nobody is going " Yay, we get to grind out more gear components!" quite the opposite...

And about this;
    "Hey Everyone, While I can't share exact details yet, know that there will be more ways to acquire gear in the near future."

More ways to acquire gear... That's not what players/customers/investors/funders want.
    Acquiring gears is the least interesting aspect of the game, it's redundant, frustrating and boring.

I usually stay away from these type of threads, my thoughts are that a company like EA is professional and experimented enough to know how to develop its games but it's obvious to everybody that has posted here that this announced gear update is not the way to improve the game.

So if I and so many others took time to express their views on this it's because they care about a game they've invested time and money into.
    It's also a cry to the devs not to break the game they love, not to turn fun into frustration.

Remember that people posting in this forum are only the tip of the iceberg, for everybody posting here, there are thousands thinking the same but not expressing it.

Consider this a poll, where 99.99% of the surveyed players strongly dislike the upcoming gear update.

Math is very simple, if you keep ignoring you players/customers opinions, you will lose many of them.
    Some play for free, some pay to play but all play to have some fun.

+1. Very well put.
  • Options
    @EA_Jesse

This post is perfect. I love this game. I've spent a lot of money on this game and I'm totally okay with it. But if the grind changes are as bad as they seem, I'm going to have to seriously reconsider my relationship with this game.