Power Rating changes update megathread

Replies

• Riffinator
    2586 posts Member
    Options
    Guest wrote: »
    Is this normal it doesn't appear in Apple Store ?

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/117537/swgoh-missing-in-google-play-store#latest
    Android beat you to it
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Options
    Dretzle wrote: »
    So far it seems this update has given us a change to the displayed power rating and disco (pink) fleet battles. Is that it? 137 MB download for that?

Don't dis the disco fleet battles.
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Options
    So far it seems this update has given us a change to the displayed power rating and disco (pink) fleet battles. Is that it? 137 MB download for that?

Don't dis the disco fleet battles.

Not dissing them. Just not sure they were worth 137 MB. :)

• Options
    Is it just me or are the power ratings now even less accurate with even greater variance? Before the "update", the power ratings made some sort of sense, but now it's just largely irrational. Ex: why are my G8 toons with no mods supposedly more powerful than my G10 toons with arena mods? Seems like it goes against the stated goals of the "more accurate power ratings" idea, no? What do you all think of this, is it just me?
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options
    Umm, so before I had a few thosand less than my arena kraken with my team of rex lead, chaze(4 and 6*), dn and GK. Now I beat the same kraken that now has 21k more power than me.

I don't think this power level change is doing what it was supposed to do (assuming reason given in update notes mean anything). It does not give a better idea of what team is more powerful at all. It is actually doing the exact opposite.
  • Aeternas
    65 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lossberg wrote: »
    @Aeternas That is weird that your 12th is broken only some days. Do you always use exactly the same team to fight node 1?

Yeah...99% of the time I lead off with zVader, Palpatine, Maul, TFP and RG.

I used to be able to take this team through to Node 9 or after before I'd have to start switcing up things to conserve them for Node 12. Then I took my Shoretrooper to g11. I think that took the power of my Top 5 to almost 48K and that's when Node 12 started breaking sometimes.

Now I never know what's going to happen. The other day I had 6 nodes (out of the last 7) that were zeta teams and node 12 wasn't broken. Needless to say, by the time Node 12 rolled around, I had little or nothing left to beat it. I had hoped Node 12 would be broken. Naturally it wasn't. Yesterday, it didn't really get hard until 9 and then 12 was broken. It's impossible to plan.

I get Thrawn/GK/Chaze/Nihilus teams pretty much every day...can be Node 6, 9, 12....it's stupid.

So, as a result...I spend a large amount of time trying to minimize the impact to my better characters because I don't know how much I need to get through what's coming. You'd think I had zetas coming out my ears because of what I face. I have two. Vader and Kylo Ren.

@HokieFiend Yep...it sounds like we're a lot alike in our GW experiences. I'm no whale, but I have spent a significant amount on this game. I have a nice roster. It's not awesome. I have none of the paywall characters maxed out. I struggle to be in Arena Top 50 because even though I've farmed mods like no one's business, I have very little speed to show for it. What I do have is on my arena team and it ain't much.

I've been waiting almost two months to get Mk 5 droid callers and Mk. 6 Nubian design tech to progress a few key characters. They aren't dropping from the raid (heroic Rancor) and I'm sick of spending $10 on one stupid piece of gear that I probably need 10 of. Then there's the flood of Mk. 5 stun guns and Mk. 3 Carbantis holding me back everywhere else..lol. ....but I digress.
  • MasterMasterTimelord
    1140 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Before that, on node 12, only the top arena teams show up. Thrawn appeared twice and etc. So, even when I do the GW I don't know if I'll sense any difference. I think that is like that with most players,
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    Nothing changed in GW, correlation is not causation!
    xkwn2zzb-1409175060.png

My node 12 today was ridiculous, so, indeed, no relations. (my node 12 was very hard for a long time)
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Options
    Anyone else find the power numbers to be less helpful now? I always liked that it would give me useful information about the team at a glance. i.e. I could tell if they were relatively weak or strong on health and protection. Now a 7* Nihilus with 5* crappy mods will look more powerful than a 5* Nihilus with 4-5* good mods, when we know it's not about the stars on Nihilus.

I think it may be disruptive in choosing who to attack in arena. Unless that's the point?
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Options
    Meh... I never look at squad power anyway. It's never been a good way to gauge actual squad strength.
  • Options
    Let me dare a guess:
    These numbers are not really supposed to be helpful to the player or compare 2 characters.
    The new ratings reflect quite well how much has been invested in a character (rather than how powerful the character is). You can probably even just summ them up to receive a "roster power" score.

I wager they will be a reference point to future events or the new game mode.
    GW opponents have been based on squad power scores. When ships were introduced, you were assigned an arena shard based on squad power scores.
    Presumably the new scores are a more accurate way to sort you into shards, assign equally powerful opponents to you, give you events that scale with your progress ingame or even match guilds for GvG battles!
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Options
    Let me dare a guess:
    These numbers are not really supposed to be helpful to the player or compare 2 characters.
    The new ratings reflect quite well how much has been invested in a character (rather than how powerful the character is). You can probably even just summ them up to receive a "roster power" score.

GW opponents have been based on squad power scores. When ships were introduced, you were assigned an arena shard based on squad power scores.
    Presumably the new scores are a more accurate way to sort you into shards, assign equally powerful opponents to you, give you events that scale with your progress ingame or even match guilds for GvG battles!

Seems like a good guess.
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options
    Let me dare a guess:

Seems like a good guess.

Which also means parts of the new game mode or the toons you can use will be gated behind star level. So if f2p is matched with whales then they won't be very competitve at all or paywalled out of it or parts of it.
  • QuasarIngwer48
    194 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    warmonkey wrote: »
    Which also means parts of the new game mode or the toons you can use will be gated behind star level. So if f2p is matched with whales then they won't be very competitve at all or paywalled out of it or parts of it.

Quite in the opposite. The ratings can now be used to match f2p against f2p and whale against whale. Newbies against newbies. Or properly match guilds with less than 50 members on a mode for guilds!
    They can make it playable with 3* toons this way without setting a gate at all.

PS: thread merged into megathread. thread tired. thread gon' sleep. Screw megathreads :|
  • Options
    ElleMadara wrote: »
    Guys my game is crashing is super slow, and some graphics seem wasted

It seems to be much less responsive for me as well. Lots of lots of stuttering and increased load times.
  • Options
    warmonkey wrote: »
    Umm, so before I had a few thosand less than my arena kraken with my team of rex lead, chaze(4 and 6*), dn and GK. Now I beat the same kraken that now has 21k more power than me.

I don't think this power level change is doing what it was supposed to do (assuming reason given in update notes mean anything). It does not give a better idea of what team is more powerful at all. It is actually doing the exact opposite.

Agreed entirely. It's actually giving much worse estimations than before. Please, bring back the old power system where there was at least some semblance of sense. And yeah the purple laser thing is still really strange.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    51bb7c9bffe6d9d995f8e530d881df34.jpg
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options
    Although sitting here in arena in 2nd right before payout with my 77kish team surrounded by teams in the 90s makes me feel powerful and awesome :wink:
  • Espo
    2 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    EA is a big enough company that they shouldn't bring out an update with this many glitches. They are not amateurs. They should have ironed out these glitches before releasing it. I lost over 400000 credits because of this.
  • Options
    Jesse1 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the power ratings now even less accurate with even greater variance? Before the "update", the power ratings made some sort of sense, but now it's just largely irrational. Ex: why are my G8 toons with no mods supposedly more powerful than my G10 toons with arena mods? Seems like it goes against the stated goals of the "more accurate power ratings" idea, no? What do you all think of this, is it just me?
    I could be wrong, but didnt the developers say that power ranking is even affected by character utility now....? I.e. A g7 nihilus will have a much higher power ranking than a g11 CUP. If this is the case, then every power ranking is based on subjectivity.
  • Options
    Cody jumped to second overall from the cheap seats on my roster.........

• Options
    This update ever coming to Google Play?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Jesse1 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but didnt the developers say that power ranking is even affected by character utility now....? I.e. A g7 nihilus will have a much higher power ranking than a g11 CUP. If this is the case, then every power ranking is based on subjectivity.

Not exactly. They said the number will represent the toons utility better. There is not thing subjective about the way the numbers are calculated. originally things like skill level, especially zetas, were not in the calculation, now they are. There are also now allowances for lvl all of which seem to be weighted from what they say, this means that lower lvls count less than higher lvls.

again nothing subjective as they said that the value of 0-85 lvl will be the same for all toons. have to see how this plays out in the long run.
  • Options
    This new update is a joke. Star ratings or rank, whichever you want to call it, gear equiped, character level, etc are all already calculated into the power number by the increase it gives you in stats. None of those things should have a direct addition to a characters power number. Giving ability increases an effect on power rating is the only part of this update that is actually correct. But, all the other **** ruins that.

There is no reason for a 7*, G8, poorly modded toon to have more power than a 4*, g11, perfectly modded toon. The biggest mistake here is the amount of extra "power" a star promotion gives you.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    Espo wrote: »
    EA is a big enough company that they shouldn't bring out an update with this many glitches. They are not amateurs. They should have ironed out these glitches before releasing it. I lost over 400000 credits because of this.

You can't have been playing many EA games, this game is actually one of the good ones regarding bugs
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options
    This new update is a joke. Star ratings or rank, whichever you want to call it, gear equiped, character level, etc are all already calculated into the power number by the increase it gives you in stats. None of those things should have a direct addition to a characters power number. Giving ability increases an effect on power rating is the only part of this update that is actually correct. But, all the other **** ruins that.

There is no reason for a 7*, G8, poorly modded toon to have more power than a 4*, g11, perfectly modded toon. The biggest mistake here is the amount of extra "power" a star promotion gives you.

THIS. This exactly. Anyone who claims a G8 teebo is a more powerful toon than a G10/11 baze with arena mods even at lower stars is crazy. Experienced players know that gear level matters muuuuuch more than stars, but newcomers will see the new "power rating" and be misled by the absurdity of the whole thing.

I don't personally see the point in changing these calculations to begin with. But if you're going to try to do it, the goal should be to increase the forecast accuracy, not decrease it.
  • Options
    Wait, the update came out already?
    Anyway, Jesse1, I agree with you totally. Gear level matters a lot more than Star count, my team has a 4 star Nihilus and a 3 star Sith trooper and my power level is about 27k. I'm like "EA, explain how I have this puny amount of power, yet am able to beat 40k power teams!!!"
  • Options
    I wish they'd roll out the update for everyone.
  • Options
    I wish they'd roll out the update for everyone.

I wish they'd roll out back the update for everyone.

FTFY. Want non-pink sprites lol.
  • HokieFiend
    445 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm still willing to take the dev word that nothing has changed with GW, but tonight's was even worse than yesterday for me. Both GW's far worse than what I was already going through the last couple months. I think I spent 3 hours juicing TM on as many toons as I could and finishing it. Yesterday, broken node 12. Today, not broken again. Keeps fluctuating back and forth and I simply don't know what is causing it. Tonight had a lovely present of a juiced Phoenix squad w/Sabine over Zeb on node 10... as if more countering toons that seem immune to 100% potency stun during GW were needed. If you ever want a good laugh, track the percentage of time you land a stun on a countering toon during GW over time... particularly with a high potency Palp. Hint: the resists wont be near the 15% base resist

Barring a ton of g10/11's on your roster, the problem seems to be these meta or meta competitive teams (Thrawn comps now, triple cleanse, Zaul/Zylo/Zavage/Assassin/Zihilus, Chaze, etc.) that pop up with regularity on just about any last half node. If you get any of them (or even just really good synergy teams) on nodes 6-10 obviously its even worse... even if they aren't maxed out. There's not much you can do unless you have some very specific toons... and if they aren't g10/11 they are worthless... and if you get any of them prot stripped before the end it's goodnight. I look up a lot of these teams on .gg and they are #1 ranked squads or very close to it at least. It's some of the top player's squads in the entire player base and they all need specific counters and good RNG to boot.
  • Mastoraz
    156 posts Member
    Options
    I uninstalled and redownloaded game. Now it's just as it was before this update....free from lag...pink glitches and these new numbers