The Mod Changes Megathread

Replies

  • Leparine
    38 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    They recommend that you complete all 8 levels of mod battles so that you can complete the ninth one when it’s introduced and be able to farm mod salvage. They’re removing requirements from mod challenges, which they don’t recommend completing since there soon won’t be any requirements.

    So they basically recommend the completion so that I can farm the salvages right away, even though its much more easier to complete them when the update hits? - so, all in all, I shouldn´t farm specifically lets say first order, because I can do that one easier after the update? (The last one I´m missing)

    ps: nonetheless crazy they recommend the completion before the update, if it becomes much easier after the update Oo
  • Leparine wrote: »
    DaPowerfulJedi:
    They recommend that you complete all 8 levels of mod battles so that you can complete the ninth one when it’s introduced and be able to farm mod salvage. They’re removing requirements from mod challenges, which they don’t recommend completing since there soon won’t be any requirements.

    So they basically recommend the completion so that I can farm the salvages right away, even though its much more easier to complete them when the update hits? - so, all in all, I shouldn´t farm specifically lets say first order, because I can do that one easier after the update? (The last one I´m missing)

    ps: nonetheless crazy they recommend the completion before the update, if it becomes much easier after the update Oo

    Are you confusing mod challenges and mod battles?
  • I'm quite excited for the new mods update as I saw the first mod going live. So, waht is the most probable date of release? Do you share the new changes?
    Do or don't there is no try
  • @DaPowerfulJedi

    Ahhh ups, yeah! Oo looked the article up once again, I confused that somehow, got it now. Thanks for the hint;)
  • Crazygone510
    1180 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    frankly i fail to see how increasing underutilized stats is going to increase diversity. perhaps some sets will be used more than they are now, but favoring certain stats over others i don't see changing much. speed is still king and will continue to be that way. stats aside from speed are probably already pretty diverse anyway simply because they don't matter very much. and you know what? they still won't.

    I couldn't disagree more. All too often I hear speed is king, speed won't mean much we then you get 2 shotted by great offense. I never bought into the whole speed is king and I place 1st every night because of my....... OFFENSE & DEFENSE

    If Offense and Defense are better than speed then why does everyone one of your mods have a speed secondary and not Offense/Defense Secondaries? And they all have Speed Arrows instead of Offense or Defense Arrows?

    Seems like you prioritize speed to me.

    Lol. I never said speed isn't important. I just don't believe that it is everything. But since you are looking through my mods, you'll also notice that I have better speed mods that aren't on my arena toons. Why? Because they don't offer offense or defense. You all can play the way you'd like, could careless. But I don't buy into the hype that everyone falls into. Notice my emperor Palpatine? Notice he doesn't have a zeta leadership? Why? Because I don't let the meta dictate how I play. Perfect example is my Palp. You'll notice his speed is only just above 200. I could make him much quicker if I wanted to but I won't, because his 6k+ damage is lights out on offense. Think for yourselves and play the game you want, you will find its much more enjoyable that way.

    And believe me, once this update comes my speed will be reduced in favor of offense and defense. So here in a few months you'll see I'll still be on top. Zavage as my sith leader is going to trump this speed meta you watch.
  • I love this new update but, when is it going live?
    Do or don't there is no try
  • 3pourr2
    1919 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Will this open a new store to farm/ buy the new materials required for slicing?
  • Not sure if it was said or not but, in advance to be ready about what it is coming I think it would be great to have the right mods color now. I mean, if we can only upgrade 5A mods to 6A it would be very useful if we can know now what of our mods in use will be Gold after the change and what of them will be Grey, Green, Blue or Purple.

    Thanks
  • scuba
    12142 posts Member
    If one of the goals here is to make mods simpler, then I have 2 suggestions:

    1) Don't have both flat and % mods for things like defense. It is impossible to know what a +10 defense substat does. It doesn't add 10 to anything. And we really don't need both flat and % on most stats. I know some other games do this, but in those games it is very clear what +1% or +10 mean. In this game it is gibberish as often as not.

    2) Make the % substats like defense actually add the stated % to the stat in question. Again, look at defense - a 1% defense mod does not increase your armor by either 1% of it's base value, nor 1% of it's current value. And it is impossible for most of us to understand how it impacts other stats like resistance. Some folks on Reddit figured out the formula, and it is ridiculously non-intuitive.

    Fundamentally you have a hard-to-understand mod system because you have stats like offense and defense that impact multiple stats on your character sheet. Until you fix that, the rest look like nice changes, but they aren't really addressing the problem.

    Not impossible just not easy.

    Everything you didn't want to know about defense armor/resistance
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/67830/defense-armor-calculator#latest

    Defense (armor/resistance) used to be a flat value in the stats, then an update came along and changed it to the more useful value that you see which is physical/special damage mitigation percentage. Defense (armor/resistance is still a flat integer value they just don't show it in charater stats anymore.
  • Piewalker wrote: »
    People say Mods are too complicated so they “fix” them by making them even more complicated.

    Yes now we need a Quantic Physic PhD sponsored by Einstein to understand how mods work

  • Cadmus
    28 posts Member
    Overall, mod changes look cool. However... with the new energy I have nothing to farm with cantina energy. I realize this is a 'whale of a problem', but you want me to get my 600 tickets refreshing energy with which I don't really have anything to farm while mods and ship stuff is non-600 ticket eligibile energy. I already have this issue with campaign energy. Pretty annoying for those of us thatve spent cash to max out our rosters. Cantina is doubly annoying because there's not even any gear there. Shard shop only goes so far unless you're adding the new materials there and/or the cantina store. Tickets are supposed to be 'awarded' for routine activities, but you're turning that into a whole separate annoyance. Would rather you upped the max tickets and counted the new energies. As is, it's kind of an f-u to long time players/big spenders.
  • Cadmus wrote: »
    Overall, mod changes look cool. However... with the new energy I have nothing to farm with cantina energy. I realize this is a 'whale of a problem', but you want me to get my 600 tickets refreshing energy with which I don't really have anything to farm while mods and ship stuff is non-600 ticket eligibile energy. I already have this issue with campaign energy. Pretty annoying for those of us thatve spent cash to max out our rosters. Cantina is doubly annoying because there's not even any gear there. Shard shop only goes so far unless you're adding the new materials there and/or the cantina store. Tickets are supposed to be 'awarded' for routine activities, but you're turning that into a whole separate annoyance. Would rather you upped the max tickets and counted the new energies. As is, it's kind of an f-u to long time players/big spenders.

    Unless you spent ridiculous amounts of money in the game to max out pretty much everything, you will always find a node useful to farm for something, be it cuffs or guns or even random lower gear for new chars or whatever.
    If you spent so much money there is literally nothing for you anywhere, don’t tell me you came all the way here to whine about a 50 crystal refresh a day when you give out thousands of dollars every month.
  • How will new mod tiers affect crew power and ships...?
  • Gorem
    1185 posts Member
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    How will new mod tiers affect crew power and ships...?

    If six dot mods have a GP increase over five dots, then they will improve all ship stats, if they don't increase GP, then they won't. Course if they do, then you will need to six dot EVERY single mod on your pilots in order to stay competitive... :D Can't just stick a rando five dot maxxed mod anymore, gotta be an investment into every single one now! But that's only if six dot mods give more GP then five dots.

    Seriously though, they did they were looking into the sith raid "again" so we might still be getting changes to lower tier rewards.. though even then the focus appeared to be on nerfing the tiers which is what people don't want.. at least not what I've seen the most of, which is just improved rewards.

    It sucks that they have basically earnt a reputation of no trust from people. Everyone just expects them to mess things up, give us one thing but then also ruin it by giving us ten non-asked for things. Ask for mod management? Get a complete and total entire mod redesign from the ground up.

    Ask for new ships? Get that entirely redesigned from the ground up...
  • Cadmus
    28 posts Member
    JohnAran wrote: »
    Cadmus wrote: »
    Overall, mod changes look cool. However... with the new energy I have nothing to farm with cantina energy. I realize this is a 'whale of a problem', but you want me to get my 600 tickets refreshing energy with which I don't really have anything to farm while mods and ship stuff is non-600 ticket eligibile energy. I already have this issue with campaign energy. Pretty annoying for those of us thatve spent cash to max out our rosters. Cantina is doubly annoying because there's not even any gear there. Shard shop only goes so far unless you're adding the new materials there and/or the cantina store. Tickets are supposed to be 'awarded' for routine activities, but you're turning that into a whole separate annoyance. Would rather you upped the max tickets and counted the new energies. As is, it's kind of an f-u to long time players/big spenders.

    Unless you spent ridiculous amounts of money in the game to max out pretty much everything, you will always find a node useful to farm for something, be it cuffs or guns or even random lower gear for new chars or whatever.
    If you spent so much money there is literally nothing for you anywhere, don’t tell me you came all the way here to whine about a 50 crystal refresh a day when you give out thousands of dollars every month.

    Well, I did say the cantina is particularly annoying since there's no gear there, but the point is that I should be able to farm what I want and still contribute to the guild. FYI, I still have 15 or so toons <g12 so I farm gear with normal refreshes for my tickets, but it's kinda boring and I don't really care about gearing them that much. In general though, I appreciate your updating me on how to progress my account... very insightful.

    Overall, yes, the 50 crystal refreshes are pretty much what I came to whine about, yeah, and I think the thousands of dollars I spend every month give me the right to share my opinion that I don't like this.
  • Farm speed sets for a long time and now farm offence and defense sets. This is a pattern we saw in ships too. Devalue previous materials and force the players to diversify. The slicing of green mods to upgrade them to gold sounded cool, but the 6 pip and huge bonuses to stats nobody was farming does not.

    Crit damage and crit chance stats are overrun by offense.

    I dont know who was asking for this. Ppl just wanted mod sets, not this.
  • Cadmus wrote: »
    JohnAran wrote: »
    Cadmus wrote: »
    Overall, mod changes look cool. However... with the new energy I have nothing to farm with cantina energy. I realize this is a 'whale of a problem', but you want me to get my 600 tickets refreshing energy with which I don't really have anything to farm while mods and ship stuff is non-600 ticket eligibile energy. I already have this issue with campaign energy. Pretty annoying for those of us thatve spent cash to max out our rosters. Cantina is doubly annoying because there's not even any gear there. Shard shop only goes so far unless you're adding the new materials there and/or the cantina store. Tickets are supposed to be 'awarded' for routine activities, but you're turning that into a whole separate annoyance. Would rather you upped the max tickets and counted the new energies. As is, it's kind of an f-u to long time players/big spenders.

    Unless you spent ridiculous amounts of money in the game to max out pretty much everything, you will always find a node useful to farm for something, be it cuffs or guns or even random lower gear for new chars or whatever.
    If you spent so much money there is literally nothing for you anywhere, don’t tell me you came all the way here to whine about a 50 crystal refresh a day when you give out thousands of dollars every month.

    Well, I did say the cantina is particularly annoying since there's no gear there, but the point is that I should be able to farm what I want and still contribute to the guild. FYI, I still have 15 or so toons <g12 so I farm gear with normal refreshes for my tickets, but it's kinda boring and I don't really care about gearing them that much. In general though, I appreciate your updating me on how to progress my account... very insightful.

    Overall, yes, the 50 crystal refreshes are pretty much what I came to whine about, yeah, and I think the thousands of dollars I spend every month give me the right to share my opinion that I don't like this.

    I’m not « updating you » on anything, i’m pointing out that what you say is not true. You didn’t just give your opinion, you said that cg was insulting you and others with the same « problem ». You based that insult on the fact that there is nothing left to farm on normal and cantina energy. Which is false as you just admitted.

    So now you’re going to say that you’ve been spending years and thousands of dollars to max out 130 chars, but since the last 15 ones you don’t care about (or new ones coming regurlarly), cg is insulting you by not changing the way the game works for you now.

    By the way, i don’t need to spend money to give my opinion, regarding the game, and regarding your opinion which i find baseless. That’s all i said. But then again you seem to feel insulted easily so i’m sorry if, as cg did, i offended you.
  • Nauros
    2801 posts Member
    Does anybody know how will this affect ships? So far, ship stats depend on the level and rarity (number of dots), so I assume that the rarity 6 mods will have an effect. But what about the tier (color)? I hope it stays as it is with no effect on ships, so we still can just slap otherwise useless mods on pilots to get the maximum effect.
    Revive the stores, the game needs it.
  • benjammin wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb - 13,000 guild currency spent on Jawa Engineer - worth nothing now honestly. (You and I both know he’s not that great of a healer...). That's 3 MK 5 furnaces I could have farmed, 5* Scavenger Rey for RJT, etc...... Crit Damage was easily the most restrictive mod challenge in the game since there are only 5 Jawa even in the game. I think the fact it has received no increases from the update shows how valuable it was to have exclusive access to.

    I hope there is some kind of plan for a Jawa only event to fill the void left from farming these chars. C-3PO Legendary event requiring Jawas maybe? Or a monthly Jawa-only event that awards slicing mats? Some kind of benefit for the Jawa farms needs to be paired with this release if you’re really concerned with “protecting the investment” of players in my opinion.

    Every other faction for mod challenges had multiple options to farm, and every single one of them has a legendary or Assault Battle that requires them. So, they have ongoing benefits to having been farmed even with the mod challenges requirement going away.

    I’m just asking you to please pair some kind of benefit to having these Jawa farmed up with this mod release

    @CG_TopHat @CG_Carrie @CG_SBCrumb - Please tell me you’ve got something planned for those of us who invested in Jawa (especially Engineer) with no real use for them now. :-)

    Quit crying, it was your choice to farm jawas. I run an alt and i didnt go jawas cause i can simply buy decent crit dmg mods off the shop.
  • MntMan
    219 posts Member
    I think it was well said above by someone, but I'll echo it so it gets attention.The changes are welcome, especially creating sets, and I can see how someone of the stuff makes mods easier to manage (like better filters in game so you don't have to pair it with a website - Thank you), but I think a huge value would be to have some better correlation or understanding of what some of the stats actually do. (i.e. offense vs defense) and also to get rid of either % or flat point increases (my preference being the former). It would be nice to know that an offense increase will increase x, y and z by a, b and c amount respectively. Why don't you just get rid of the % mods and then focus on specific identifiable stats. You can even play around a b it and make some pretty nice multi mods.

    As an example add dodge, armor, health steal, etc. All items that tie to a specific stat that we can see on our screen and know what will change. Right so you'd have a Physical damage mod +50, a Armor Pen +10 and Health Steal +2. All separate mods and you can place them individually.

    As an added bonus maybe then you can have a special stat labeled Striker (or maybe not even fun names if you're not into that thing) that increase 3 stats by a lessor amount, but across all 3. Right so you'd have a Physical damage mod +50, a Armor Pen +10 and Health Steal +2. All separate mods and you can place them individually, but then maybe a rare mod you find is the Striker and it increases Physical Damage +25, Armor Pen +10 and health steal +1% all in a single stat. This add on idea maybe bunk, but I think having easy to identify stats would make the whole thing easier or if not if you mouse over/click on a stat in the mod you'd be able to see the underlying changes at least.

    Finally while I agree with the assessment that newer players have a harder time getting squads for mods and I like the idea of it, maybe require the specific squads for the top tier or 2. (4 or 5 star mods) It will allow them to get some mods (1 to 3 star) to help in their journey,but if they want the best mods they have to work for it and invest time and energy. This is not coming from someone who is bitter. I could care less if someone has an easier path now. It's just a game, but I can say that when the mods were introduced like that I had to make the squads and it helped me diversify my roster. I may not have gone down a route if not for that. At first it was frustrating, but it was also fun trying new things. Without that mechanic in the game people will only focus on say 15-20 toons and that's it. Everyone will all have the same roster as they level.
  • LukeDukem8
    383 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    All the community asked for was an easier way to assign mods. And what we are about to get is:

    1.) even more rng into mods, since we now have to farm salvage pieces.
    2.) a new energy that doesnt count towards your 600.
    3.) And since we all know CG, a new salvage wall where one salvage will be needed for every single upgrade, which inevitably will come with a 2% drop rate, causing an equal amount of frustration similar to carbanti and stun gun farming.

    How is this "less complicated"?
  • Personally I am annoyed at how the beta testing system works here. Instead of working to create balance in the past all the beta testers have done is find ways to exploit the changes when they go live. IN the case of these mod changes, it could affect balance in this game pertinently.

    Since the failed mod update I have been farming mods with 3 refreshes daily. Currently I have 4 Blue mods at level 6 with 13-14 speed. As I understand the mechanics after the update when I upgrade them to level 15 each has 45% chance of getting at least one more speed upgrade.... With a non-trivial chance of getting 10 more speed.

    My point is because I am exploiting how the update is being done, I will be able to create several uber speed mods at much lower cost then I could previously or will be able to do after updates are done.

    The result of this is that after this update is done, some players will gained a huge advantage in mods at low cost. Players who have not been farming mods or refreshing the mod shop for green/Blue speed mods to upgrade to lvl 3 or 6. are going to be a huge disadvantage post upgrade
  • It feels like we now have squads for putting together groups of characters, and loadouts for putting together groups of mods. Is there intent to combine these two into a single setup screen to manage your characters all together? Hoping for additional clarity since we are unable to beta test the changes and see them in clearer detail.

    Maybe it is only me, but I create my squads for different uses, ie. legacy raids, specific raid phases, arena, TB etc. and for each of those uses I might have a different set of mods depending on my need. It seems to make sense that part of these squads that I put together would include the mods I would use for each of these uses. If we have loadouts and squads separate, the workflow seems to be go to my loadouts, change each character in my squad to the loadout I want to use, then go to the squad for the raid or arena I want to run. If I need to run multiple attacks etc. I need to then go back to loadouts, change each character again and switch back to my team squad and run them.

    Is there an overall plan or intent with managing our characters as a whole or is the plan to keep squads, loadouts etc. separate forcing us to spend more time adjusting and building customization that could be brought together?
  • Indominable_J
    1694 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    Since the failed mod update I have been farming mods with 3 refreshes daily. Currently I have 4 Blue mods at level 6 with 13-14 speed. As I understand the mechanics after the update when I upgrade them to level 15 each has 45% chance of getting at least one more speed upgrade.... With a non-trivial chance of getting 10 more speed.

    I don't believe this is correct. Any mod you bump up now will essentially follow the old track -- at levels 9 and 12 they'll get the remaining secondaries. If you hadn't bumped them, you'd be potentially screwed by the new system, because you would've gotten the new secondaries first and then had a reduced chance to increase.
  • Vice_torn wrote: »
    Personally I am annoyed at how the beta testing system works here. Instead of working to create balance in the past all the beta testers have done is find ways to exploit the changes when they go live. IN the case of these mod changes, it could affect balance in this game pertinently.

    Since the failed mod update I have been farming mods with 3 refreshes daily. Currently I have 4 Blue mods at level 6 with 13-14 speed. As I understand the mechanics after the update when I upgrade them to level 15 each has 45% chance of getting at least one more speed upgrade.... With a non-trivial chance of getting 10 more speed.

    My point is because I am exploiting how the update is being done, I will be able to create several uber speed mods at much lower cost then I could previously or will be able to do after updates are done.

    The result of this is that after this update is done, some players will gained a huge advantage in mods at low cost. Players who have not been farming mods or refreshing the mod shop for green/Blue speed mods to upgrade to lvl 3 or 6. are going to be a huge disadvantage post upgrade

    I don't think there's a way around the advantage gamers get by being on the forums to read about hoarding blue/green mods and leveling speed to 3 or 6. But it is common knowledge for forum users, so I guess the advantage goes to the forums. Personally, I don't think speed will be all that with mod Rebalancing, but tbh, it'll take a few months of game play to know for certain. I don't think the beta program ran long enough to test balance.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • I don't think there's a way around the advantage gamers get by being on the forums to read about hoarding blue/green mods and leveling speed to 3 or 6. But it is common knowledge for forum users, so I guess the advantage goes to the forums. Personally, I don't think speed will be all that with mod Rebalancing, but tbh, it'll take a few months of game play to know for certain. I don't think the beta program ran long enough to test balance.

    i certainly hope the mod changes can take speed off its pedestal, but i just don't think tweaking the stats will be enough to do it. with all the stuns and TM manipulation, particularly the ones that can't be resisted, changing the other stats won't change the fact that it doesn't matter how hard you hit if you can't move.
  • SmilinStonee
    185 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Inb4 half of the events get adjusted, and any new content created is designed to work with "recommended" 6A mods only. This hamster wheel is bad enough with needing brand new Marquee toons asap for TB, but throwing another p2w goal post is kinda harsh.
Sign In or Register to comment.