***TOURNAMENT MEGATHREAD*** (All related posts here)

Replies

• Options
    Mihai29 wrote: »
    When the tounaments are coming back?
    Will it be every week?
    I need to finish Shoretrooper....i still need 70 shards to 7*.
    Make it on weekly basis!! Thank you

I'm in the same boat. Not having that 7th star is making my OCD tick. Although, he's quite viable at 6*.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    I just want to know what determines the point values in the battles - and why they go down over the course of the tournament. lol
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @EA_Jesse @CG_Conduit23 @CG_Kozispoon @CG_JohnSalera

Sorry to be obnoxious and tag everyone but this is a serious issue, potentially worse than all other major missteps that came before (precrafting, modgate, etc). If the alt farming/guild hopping is not prevented with new rules along with a strong warning that exploiting will be dealt with harshly, it will be the final straw. The dev team has done a lot of good lately (pvp tournament not withstanding). Please address this issue.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    An explanation of the points system would be great. Points per battle went down throughout the tournament. It was never explained whether it was based on

-Rank
    -Number of Battles fought
    -Number of wins
    -Some formula based on several of the above
    -Something completely different
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Ing256
    471 posts Member
    Options
    Mihai29 wrote: »
    I dont care ....i need to finish Shoretrooper

Hi, this is your help group counselor, we didn't see you at last meeting, I strongly advise you to come back, you seem to really need it
  • scuba
    14052 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    An explanation of the points system would be great. Points per battle went down throughout the tournament. It was never explained whether it was based on

-Rank
    -Number of wins

While not very specific formula or numbers are given it was in the notes that the points scared based on difference in cumulative points between you and opponents. So as everyone was getting closer in point totals possible points per battle went down.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/69338/game-update-9-28-2016#latest
    Players earn points in combat for each enemy unit they defeat and earn bonus points for their surviving units. These points scale based on the difference in cumulative points between the player and opponent
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    scuba wrote: »

-Rank
    -Number of wins

While not very specific formula or numbers are given it was in the notes that the points scared based on difference in cumulative points between you and opponents. So as everyone was getting closer in point totals possible points per battle went down.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/69338/game-update-9-28-2016#latest
    Players earn points in combat for each enemy unit they defeat and earn bonus points for their surviving units. These points scale based on the difference in cumulative points between the player and opponent

Thank you. That's helpful. I somehow missed that part.

• Naw
    969 posts Member
    Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    Are you saying you were placed on this shard based on the strength of your roster?

You were placed in a tournament based off of two things, your level and power. They broke it out into different tournament brackets to try and evenly match players as best as they could.

My initial thought on this was that I didn't like it, but now I believe that to have been a wise move.

I didn't benefit, with 42k power top 5 I saw opponents with 46-47k in power, but could also pick out some defensive teams with 5-6k less power than me.
  • Options
    holyjoe wrote: »
    money grabbing?? people actually spent money on this tournament?? that's nuts. i only did one round once and called it quits.
    Same. 200 points, rank #4902. I'm bringing my A game next time and will hit the solid 5000
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • Options
    To avoid collusion next tourney…

1) You must set a Defense Squad, before you attack anyone
    2) You cannot change the Defense Squad after you start attacking.
    3) You cannot remove/swap Mods from your defense Squad after you start attacking
    4) Kills occurring when you defend cannot count towards your total.

Reasons

1,2 - Without theses conditions it would still be possible use collusion to get an early boost. I.E. if you need to wait 24 hrs… In first hour of event you could set a weak defense squad, Then a few hours before toon reset, come in and start attacking. If you have 10 Buddies doing the same thing you could leap frog up the ranks, And keep attacking each other after toon reset. When finished set your full defense squad. The result is that you get two days worth of attacks in vs weak opponents.

3 – Even if Defense Squads are locked it would still be possible to weaken them by removing Mods.

4 – If Defense kills matter then you could have a buddy send a scrub team to attack you, die and boost your points. Then you do the same in return. This could be a cheap and easy way to maximize your points if Defending counts.

The general policy of the DEVs seems to be if the game allows it, it is fair game. THey do not want to police gameplay, or reverse rewards especially if some gems were spent to obtain them. Such actions need to be prevented by coding. In many cases limiting valid strategies to eliminate the unwanted ones.

Vice Torn.
  • Options
    One more observation...

Brackets really should have been setup based around when you started playing, Not timezone or Level. How "fair?" is it to have someone that has been playing for 5 months compete with someone that has been playing for 10months, just because they are both lvl 80 and in the same timezone. Espically when there would be little benifit for any timezone given the tourament format.
  • Options
    I like the idea of defensive kills counting. I like it a lot...otherwise what's the point of a defensive team?
  • Options
    I like the idea of defensive kills counting. I like it a lot...otherwise what's the point of a defensive team?

This probably wouldn't work as intended e.g. if you have the best defensive team... it's likely everyone will avoid you and fight lower teams. The lower teams will then build up more score while the better defensive team will get nothing.
  • Options
    I didn't read all of the posts here, but did anyone stop and consider that the guild teamwork that was on display during this tournament was exactly the kind of thing that many people have been asking for? Namely there was a way for us to work cooperatively with our guild mates rather than against each other as the raid rewards encourage.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Clanomadd wrote: »
    I didn't read all of the posts here, but did anyone stop and consider that the guild teamwork that was on display during this tournament was exactly the kind of thing that many people have been asking for? Namely there was a way for us to work cooperatively with our guild mates rather than against each other as the raid rewards encourage.

Here's the problem with that: It became an individual contest JUST like raid rewards. Rewards weren't bracketed well. If, say, top 10 got a 7* then hey, that makes sense to have guilds working together. But they don't and rewards are for the individual, not the team.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

This would open another possible problem of collusion: guild mates throwing garbage teams at each other's defense teams.

Basically, the reverse issue of the nug thing.

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I loved it. It was a fantastic experience and the first genuine time I've had feeling competitive and trying to battle it out for first. There was a great incentive to play but I think the main problem was the fact that refreshes were so far spaced apart and you basically had to use crystals if it wanted to place anywhere near the top. For the next go around I think they should have two squads that you lock in at he start. One defensive like this one had and one offensive. And in doing so they could eliminate some need for the crystal refreshes. If your team can't beat the theee teams presented then it wouldn't matter how many time you throw a squad at it. The daily refresh would allow you to change your squad. So you would have to think "what would I possible come up against" in order to advance.

I agree with the Defensive Squad lock-down and believe that we will see that the next time it rolls around. However, just allowing one team to participate in the offensive side will completely take away from the event and turn it into another Arena....which I do not believe we need. If anything, this should get folks to focus more on building multiple teams in preparation for the next tournament. Easier said than done....but it does give some flexibility when attacking as well as more opportunities to attack. We would feel the need to refresh more if we only had one team to attack.

This was not a simple beat this player to take his/her rank...it was all about scoring points and I personally enjoyed it a lot more than the arena. It didn't matter who you attacked as long as you defeated them and kept your toons alive (where most of the points were generated). You had to decide if you could take a team with a lower powered team or if you needed to pull out your big guns and lay waste. In the end, your strongest team generated just as many points as your weakest....so there was more strategy involved, IMO.

There was no real strategy for me at all.

All my lower teams couldn't possibly win against the team I was pitted against.

What they should do next time is:

1. allow you to pick your defence team - then lock it down.
    2. allow you to pick your offence team - whatever you chose to select from your roster.
    3. That chosen offence team may it be 40K power total, or 10k power total, can then be matched based on power with other teams.

This way, truly, your team (no matter the strength) has a chance at earning points equal to that of your strongest team and is fair by pitting your weakest teams against reasonable power levels.

I couldn't even use weaker teams (which is at least half my collection of characters) as the teams I was pitted against were all 40K +!!!

I literally had about 2 or 3 teams I could actually use if I wanted to score any points - which meant a lot of refreshes - how is that using a diverse roster?

Not to mention, all the in-game refreshes were out of whack, which ended up costing me even more in refreshes!

I think EA should hand out a bunch of crystals and apologize for that terrible execution regarding the refresh system - I have never seen anything so awful in a game in all my life.

The way how this tournament ran was basically a badly executed hyped up arena, with a lot of cheating/loopholes to boot - it ****!
  • Options
    To work cooperatively towards defeating a common enemy is one thing.
    To sabotage other players' efforts during the tourney is something else entirely.

• Options

This would open another possible problem of collusion: guild mates throwing garbage teams at each other's defense teams.

Basically, the reverse issue of the nug thing.

Dang... There's always a catch...
  • Options
    would be fun to have a type of pvp guild vs guild like clan wars in clash
  • Options
    would be fun to have a type of pvp guild vs guild like clan wars in clash

Yeah... Too bad there's no such a thing as PvP... Just PvAI... And i think it will stay that way...
  • Options
    yea it's a mobile theme
  • Options

Teamwork Sure, But what happened is players setting themselves up as an easy punching bag, so that their guide mates would look better.

I would like the idea of Defense Teams playing a bigger Role. But sadly if you gained something from defending, next Tourney we would having players sending scrub teams vs allies. We would be better of if there was a fair play policy which was enforced. But the best we can get is no reward for defending.

• Options
    Actually, Getting points for kills when defending could work, if you only got points if the attacking squad had a higher power-rating then you. That way their is no benefit of having a buddy attack with a scub team.
  • Options
    I hate my server. Seems alot of great players in my server. The tournament I never got above 3700. I stay around 500 rank in pvp arena. I was surrounded by 40k+ power teams all event. My max team is 33500
  • Lucieles
    8 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Greetings,
    i don't know do the team of developers read this topic or not but i hope for that.

First of all i want to say that the game is great and i'm enjoying playing it. Thank you for colossal work!

And the main reason i want to discuss is some negative aspects of past pvp tournament.

1) Defense Team.

It is totally useless. Why do we need them? We get nothing from defending! I think it might be more objective if we can get as a reward for successful defending - pvp-points for each survived member of our squad. Because in our current tournament it doesnt even matter are our team loosing or winning! My team may loose for hungred times but i wouldnt see any changes in my tournament rating. Its wrong! It causes that it doesnt matter what powerfull squads do you have, the really matter is how much more CRYSTALS you can spend on new attemps of the battles. So the winner in the pvp-tournament is a person who have much more money. Its not fair.

2)Level-team classification.

Tournament teams are divided into player level: 30-39, 40-49...70-79 and 80.
    You are doing it wrong!
    Asking why? Take a look to the Qui-Gon Jinn gear. He can get Gear Level 7 set minimum at 63 lvl, cause requarements for MK 3 Athakam Medpac is 63 lvl. And Gear Level 8 Qui-Gon can get only at 74 lvl, cause requarements for MK 5 Arakyd Droid Caller is 74 lvl. And Gear Level 9 he can get at 78 lvl
    As you see there is a GREAT deference in power between 63 lvl with 7 lvl gear and 78 lvl with 9 gear.
    So what are you thinking about when pushing 70 and 79 into one group in pvp tournament? 70 lvl can have only 7 lvl gear, but 79 lvl already have 9 lvl gear! Its 2-lvl gear deference, cant you see? i ask you, are you SERIOUS?!!
    Sorry, if a'm screaming, i remind you its only my opinion.
    BUT
    look at light side battles or dark side battles and you'll see that the developer team divided complexity of the fights depending from gained gear level! Its not 70-79 lvl and ets. as in pvp tournament!
    So why the developers can not do NORMAL player lvl classification in pvp tournament?
    And one more thing:
    peoples who joined to the tournament on lvl 79 and got lvl 80 while being in current tournament can get 10 or 11 lvl gear against 7 lvl gear of 70 lvl players - will you correct this issue? Because really it is not funny.

Its all i want to speak about.
    I ask you to forgive me if i was wrong in something. Correct me. Maybe other guys can add something, agree or disagree.

With best wishes.
    Post edited by Lucieles on
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    From my experience points earn were more a function of the actual number of point than the ranking. I think it makes more sense to have point tied to ranking brackets as the total number points earned, because it is then irrelevant if everyone has the same path for earning points...
  • Options
    Hey if you guys would check out my tourney idea, I'd really appreciate it. It's a long post, but I think it covers all the bases to be a viable tourney option. Thanks!

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/71195/next-tourney-info#latest